Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Noshow
Topic Author

Should carry-on liquid restrictions end?

Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:57 pm

Since British authorities foiled some planned terrorist attack in August 2006 there are restrictions on liquids you can take on board as carry on. Some were made regulations from 2014 like in the EU. Since then, you can only take up to ten liquid containers on board at 100 ml each max. If you buy liquids on the airside of the airport, you are free to take them on board without a limit. You can take empty containers like an empty water bottle, even 1000 ml, through security and top it off airside (after security) and bring it on board. But you cannot take -say- a 200 ml toothpaste that is emptied to 50 ml through security. 100 ml original size is the limit. Sometimes connecting passengers cannot take carry on fluids legally permitted on their first flight onto their next flight.
All those restrictions create a lot of hassle for the passengers as they need to pack fluids separate and present them for inspection, which contributes to long waiting lines. Only the latest generation scanners can determine if liquid contents are considered to be dangerous.

Would you prefer to keep those limits?

Would you prefer to end the restrictions?

Would you like to have even stricter limits?

German regulations:
https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/down ... onFile&v=1

ACDC8

Re: Should carry-on liquid restrictions end?

Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:09 pm

Yes, they need to go. By far the dumbest restrictions in the history of aviation security.

Can I take this 1L bottle through security with me?

No. Its a potential threat. But you can take that same liquid, divide it into 10 x 100ml bottles, throw them in a zip lock baggie and bring the empty 1L with you.

:sarcastic:

leftcoast8

Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:50 am

I was in Addis on August 10, 2006, when the liquid explosive plot was foiled. I remember watching the Heathrow press conferences live on BBC World.

16 years later and the restrictions are still in place. Shameful.

BlindMarshall

Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:04 pm

More restrictions please.

TWA772LR

Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:17 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
I was in Addis on August 10, 2006, when the liquid explosive plot was foiled. I remember watching the Heathrow press conferences live on BBC World.

16 years later and the restrictions are still in place. Shameful.

I flew IAH-TUS that day it was foiled. The security line was literally out the door of the terminal. And on the way back, upon boarding all bags were searched and even liquids that were bought after security couldn't be taken on board.

PhilipBass

Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 am

airports don't want it. they want their outlets selling you their limited selection of expensive alcohol rather than taking home alcoholic souveniers with you from the City you visited. It is either that or pay for checked-in luggage

davidjohnson6

Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:14 pm

It's not just locally made alcohol... airport shops and many airlines make serious money from selling bottles of water

PITingres

Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:24 pm

Like most of the security theater, the liquid restriction is meaningless and should be eliminated.

ACDC8

Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:26 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
It's not just locally made alcohol... airport shops and many airlines make serious money from selling bottles of water

Tell me about it, easy $5 a bottle - yeesh.

Kent350787

Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:36 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Yes, they need to go. By far the dumbest restrictions in the history of aviation security.

Can I take this 1L bottle through security with me?

No. Its a potential threat. But you can take that same liquid, divide it into 10 x 100ml bottles, throw them in a zip lock baggie and bring the empty 1L with you.

:sarcastic:

Mind you, removing belts and shoes to pass through security is equally stupid.

ACDC8

Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:46 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

I was flying through YYC one time and I had a book with me, can't remember which book it was, but it was a hardcover and a fairly large book - holy crap, it had to go in its own separate bin and have a separate physical inspection. Security at YYC is in its own little world though, so many weird experiences going through there, don't know if they're just bored or something, who knows.

On the flip side, I was flying through LAS the day of Trump's inauguration - went through security, keep your belts and shoes on, don't bother taking liquids or electronics out, go through the scanner, if you beep you beep, don't worry about it lol.

MartijnNL

Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:04 pm

Luckily Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has done away with these restrictions. You can take soda cans and water bottles with you.

fallap

Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:19 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

I was flying through YYC one time and I had a book with me, can't remember which book it was, but it was a hardcover and a fairly large book - holy crap, it had to go in its own separate bin and have a separate physical inspection.

I remember bringing my scuba gear in my carry-on during a trip to Africa, a lot of question and genuine curiousness as scuba diving is not common in Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Ethiopia, :b but I was going to Tanzania later on the trip though.

Vasu

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:52 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Luckily Amsterdam Airport Schiphol has done away with these restrictions. You can take soda cans and water bottles with you.

Is this a Dutch thing? I swear Eindhoven let me take liquids (more than 100ml) through this year too. Is it down to them having newer scanners or have they simply lifted the restriction?

ACDC8

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 pm

Vasu wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

Is this a Dutch thing? I swear Eindhoven let me take liquids (more than 100ml) through this year too. Is it down to them having newer scanners or have they simply lifted the restriction?

According to Schipol's website, the restrictions are still in place. But it does say liquids more than 100ml may be cleared if inspected by hand.

jrfspa320

Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:28 am

Fly domestic in Australia / New Zealand - no liquid restrictions.

AirMitko

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:09 am

Same thing in Brasil- no restrictions on liquids in hand luggage.