Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

What would happen if Delta established a hub at SFO

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:05 pm

So I'm wondering if Delta has a hub at SFO. Delta had a route from NRT to SFO but it was removed back in 2014. If Delta had a hub at SFO, it would be small because United has a large hub for transpacific flights at SFO. Also, Delta would use the A330neo or A350 for SFO long haul routes. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-hnd%2Ficn%2Fppt%2Fcdg%2Fams%2Flhr%2Fdtw%2Fjfk%2Fatl%2Fsea%2Fslc%2Flax%2Ficn%2Fpkx%2Fhnl%2Fmnl%2Fsyd&MS=wls&DU=miImage https://www.ifn.news/posts/delta-takes-delivery-of-its-first-airbus-a330neo/
Imagehttps://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/05/16/delta-is-giving-tokyo-its-second-airbus-a350-service-next-year/ Imagehttps://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/delta-retrofitted-airbus-a330-tour/

ACDC8

Re: What would happen if Delta established a hub at SFO

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:51 pm

If DL removed flights from an airport then there is no logical reason to create a hub there.

jplatts

Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:44 am

DL's DTW hub is currently the only destination with DL nonstop service out of SFO that doesn't currently have any nonstop service out of SFO/OAK/SJC on another airline.

ATL/BOS/LAX/MSP/SLC/SEA still also have UA nonstop service out of SFO.

AAPilot48Heavy

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:32 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
So I'm wondering if Delta has a hub at SFO. Delta had a route from NRT to SFO but it was removed back in 2014. If Delta had a hub at SFO, it would be small because United has a large hub for transpacific flights at SFO. Also, Delta would use the A330neo or A350 for SFO long haul routes. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-hnd%2Ficn%2Fppt%2Fcdg%2Fams%2Flhr%2Fdtw%2Fjfk%2Fatl%2Fsea%2Fslc%2Flax%2Ficn%2Fpkx%2Fhnl%2Fmnl%2Fsyd&MS=wls&DU=miImage https://www.ifn.news/posts/delta-takes-delivery-of-its-first-airbus-a330neo/
Imagehttps://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/05/16/delta-is-giving-tokyo-its-second-airbus-a350-service-next-year/ Imagehttps://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/delta-retrofitted-airbus-a330-tour/

What’s your actual (real) question?

You made a nonsensical statement and never asked a question, which you end with a question mark (?).

FlyingHonu001

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:38 am

They dont need one tbh. DL is more than capable of flying directly TPAC out of ATL for example. They only need SEA as a hub to offer connecting passengers a bit more options and its doing a fine job atm. Also in this day and age it makes much economical sense to go point-to-point all the way

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:16 pm

Delays at SFO would be orders of magnitude worse once the weather takes over.

zrs70

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:56 pm

What would happen?

There would be world peace.

bfitzflyer

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:18 pm

Not sure it would work as they don't have the Alamo in San Francisco.

AAPilot48Heavy

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:30 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:

LMAO -- Right!

But you know what!? They could build a new Alamo between SFO and SJC, then build a new airport right next to it so everyone could hub there. It's the best idea in the world! I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

:bouncy:

Fuling

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:35 pm

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

LMAO -- Right!

But you know what!? They could build a new Alamo between SFO and SJC, then build a new airport right next to it so everyone could hub there. It's the best idea in the world! I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

:bouncy:

Yes, all airlines! Even KE, simply because their seats are the best (I assume - I've never flown with them). And all gates will be A380 capable, because around 57m passengers travel between NYC-Bay Area annually, so we could have at least 100 daily flights each way!!!

phatfarmlines

Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:35 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
So I'm wondering if Delta has a hub at SFO. Delta had a route from NRT to SFO but it was removed back in 2014. If Delta had a hub at SFO, it would be small because United has a large hub for transpacific flights at SFO. Also, Delta would use the A330neo or A350 for SFO long haul routes.

The NRT-SFO route was a carryover from NW to serve the NRT gateway hub, connecting one of the largest Asian demographic markets. The route did not exist to "build up" SFO. Your question does not take into account where DL would theoretically gain real estate to operate such a hub, which is a little bit tight even as the Terminal 1 rebuild continues with headhouse construction. Even when DL operated the NRT-SFO route, it did so out of the International Terminal "A" boarding area.

Boeing757100

Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:05 pm

I think I may have heard from somewhere that the SFO-NRT route on DL was one of their worst performing routes on TPAC. It was operated with a 767-300ER if I’m aware. There is a thread from here around the time which details everything.
viewtopic.php?t=562915

Anyways, I think it would be asinine for DL to put a hub in SFO because they have LAX and SEA.

Now, delta should launch SFO-ICN and SFO-VIE. Both on new 787s that they will order. :lol:

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:38 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I think I may have heard from somewhere that the SFO-NRT route on DL was one of their worst performing routes on TPAC. It was operated with a 767-300ER if I’m aware. There is a thread from here around the time which details everything.
viewtopic.php?t=562915

Anyways, I think it would be asinine for DL to put a hub in SFO because they have LAX and SEA.

Now, delta should launch SFO-ICN and SFO-VIE. Both on new 787s that they will order. :lol:

Delta should order the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner and launch LAX-LHR and SFO-SYD routes

AAPilot48Heavy

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:13 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=562915

Delta should order the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner and launch LAX-LHR and SFO-SYD routes

You know that no one takes you seriously at all, right?

Your posts make us us all crings and laugh at the same time.

johns624

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:16 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=562915

They already have A350-900. What do they need the 787-10 for? They already fly LAX-LHR--just on Virgin Atlantic planes. Why fly to Sydney when they already fly there from LAX, where they have a larger customer base.

RyanairGuru

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:39 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=562915

A 78X would be payload restricted on SFO-SYD. The A359 is the perfect aircraft for that route. And no, Delta will never do it.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:47 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=562915

A 78X would be payload restricted on SFO-SYD. The A359 is the perfect aircraft for that route. And no, Delta will never do it.

Delta can order Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner as another option

johns624

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

Delta can order Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner as another option
You haven't answered what a 787 can do that the already on-hand 359s can't.

twicearound

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:00 am

bfitzflyer wrote:

This wins the internet

Fuling

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:17 pm

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=562915

You know that no one takes you seriously at all, right?

Your posts make us us all crings and laugh at the same time.

I'm starting to think this is just another troll. Never takes constructive criticism or advice on the industry, never responds to direct questions, adds comments (like the DL B78X) that they know we will blow up at, continues on a similar rhetoric each post, and forces an agenda/opinion without substance, statistics or evidence to support them.

af773atmsp

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm

I don't know why people continue responding to OP's threads. Just ignore them and they'll get buried by legitimate threads.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:41 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
So I'm wondering if Delta has a hub at SFO. Delta had a route from NRT to SFO

So there's a bit of history here. Back when NW was still in operation, they designated both NRT and AMS as "hubs." From these hubs, they operated a number of fifth-freedom flights. A summary of the NRT hub's history can be found at this link.

SFO, being a major city, got service from all the NW hubs, including AMS and NRT. So when DL merged with NW, they initially kept this route structure until they decided to de-hub NRT and AMS.

DL has two West Coast hubs at LAX and SEA. If they went for SFO, they would be up against a UA fortress city. UA has had a SFO hub since...I don't even know. In addition, SFO has capacity issues and is very delay-prone owing to the runway layout, so it would be a major challenge to stand up an entire new hub for a major there. SFO is also an AS hub now. So DL would have to 1) come up with the capacity, 2) go head-to-head against both UA and AS 3) stand up hub operations into an already congested and operationally challenging airport 4) all in the middle of a labor/staffing crisis.

Much as I would love to have a DL hub here, it isn't what I would recommend if I were in their C-suite.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:09 pm

DocLightning wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

So there's a bit of history here. Back when NW was still in operation, they designated both NRT and AMS as "hubs." From these hubs, they operated a number of fifth-freedom flights. A summary of the NRT hub's history can be found at this link.

SFO, being a major city, got service from all the NW hubs, including AMS and NRT. So when DL merged with NW, they initially kept this route structure until they decided to de-hub NRT and AMS.

DL has two West Coast hubs at LAX and SEA. If they went for SFO, they would be up against a UA fortress city. UA has had a SFO hub since...I don't even know. In addition, SFO has capacity issues and is very delay-prone owing to the runway layout, so it would be a major challenge to stand up an entire new hub for a major there. SFO is also an AS hub now. So DL would have to 1) come up with the capacity, 2) go head-to-head against both UA and AS 3) stand up hub operations into an already congested and operationally challenging airport 4) all in the middle of a labor/staffing crisis.

Much as I would love to have a DL hub here, it isn't what I would recommend if I were in their C-suite.

Also, Delta would be in Terminal 2 with the gates owned by them. The airport also has to construct another terminal, if Delta were to establish a hub at SFO.

AirKevin

Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:11 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

Also, Delta would be in Terminal 2 with the gates owned by them. The airport also has to construct another terminal, if Delta were to establish a hub at SFO.

Sure, where are you going to put another terminal.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:14 pm

AirKevin wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

They construct an island for the new terminal which is Terminal 4. You have to take the Airtrain to do that.

AirKevin

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:51 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

They construct an island for the new terminal which is Terminal 4. You have to take the Airtrain to do that.

Two problems. First, I don't think you can just build something into the bay just like that without running into legal issues. Second, what good is a terminal that is very far away from every other terminal.

bluecrew

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:23 pm

AirKevin wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Two problems. First, I don't think you can just build something into the bay just like that without running into legal issues. Second, what good is a terminal that is very far away from every other terminal.

Which is why we will hire companies with Chinese government ties to build it. They have the experience building islands without a permit.

:rotfl: :stirthepot:

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 am

twicearound wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

This wins the internet

Oh geez, is this the same OP as that thread? I remember that one.

DL should start SFO-SAT.

In answer to the OPS original question: DL would lose money. That’s what would happen.