Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

remymartin11
Topic Author

PHX RDU Nonstop

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:05 pm

Live in PHX and fly to RDU 1-2x per month. Not sure why AA doesn't fly this at least 10 months out of the year. Feel like AA and SW just pop up the route and then drop it. Always full, lot of fellow CK members always on board. Avoiding stop in DFW or CLT saves 2 hours minimum. Come on AA - make this a year round route.

Vctony

Re: PHX RDU Nonstop

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:11 pm

Unfortunately it's a long, "thin" route that overflies DFW and CLT..

It took forever to get BNA as a year round route on AA.

USAirALB

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:22 pm

A full flight does not mean a profitable flight. PHX isn't necessarily high-yielding, and virtually all available transfer opportunities ex PHX can be accessed via both DFW and CLT.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:38 pm

Too far for an E75. Too thin for a 319?

remymartin11
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 pm

Long and thin and high yielding, like RDU-KEF? SMH

alasizon

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

When it is flown, it is normally a 321.

The choice not to fly it right now has more to do with it taking a lot of aircraft and crew time at a time where the aircraft are needed elsewhere.

hpff

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:45 pm

What's the O&D on the route?

It's a route I flew a number of times, America West was on it before the mergers and was on a SW flight where they were trialling in flight internet - those hours literally flew by - so a bit surprised either AA or SW can't make a single flight a day work.

chepos

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 pm

alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

The choice not to fly it right now has more to do with it taking a lot of aircraft and crew time at a time where the aircraft are needed elsewhere.

AA1517, PHX-RDU is currently operating, departed PHX today at 1054 am, operated with a 738.

alasizon

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:51 pm

chepos wrote:
alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

AA1517, PHX-RDU is currently operating, departed PHX today at 1054 am, operated with a 738.

Didn't realize its back to a 738. Either way, route has been back since September, takes a break for the holidays and then comes back in January and is bookable through at least March so clearly more than the 2 months the OP implied.

stlgph

Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:54 pm

I see dates through the spring/summer.....so not sure what all this is about?

hayzel777

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:07 am

stlgph wrote:

That’s a fake schedule.

FSDan

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:23 am

PHX is a bigger hub for AA in the winter, plain and simple. Routes like PHX-MSY, PHX-GRR, PHX-CVG, PHX-RDU, PHX-PIT, etc. are almost always there in the winter when the ORD and PHL hubs are bare bones, but they may or may not appear in the summer depending on how much capacity AA is able to allocate to PHX after the more summer-heavy hubs have been taken care of.

remymartin11
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:39 am

PHX is only AA hub without year round N/S to/from RDU. I live in PHX and heavy travel to RDU and non stop is amazing. 738 today that I'm on. Brutal to stop in DFW or CLT. I get summer months, but bipolar schedule is confounding to say the least. Stake a claim and don't just play copycat with SW.

Cactus739

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:16 am

I flew that route multiple times in the América West days…. Man I miss that airline

USAirALB

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:17 am

remymartin11 wrote:

What does RDU-KEF have to do with RDU-PHX? I can single-handedly assure you that RDU-KEF is not "high-yielding", especially as FI is essentially a LCC targeting budget-minded travelers in the TATL market.
remymartin11 wrote:
PHX is only AA hub without year round N/S to/from RDU. I live in PHX and heavy travel to RDU and non stop is amazing. 738 today that I'm on. Brutal to stop in DFW or CLT. I get summer months, but bipolar schedule is confounding to say the least. Stake a claim and don't just play copycat with SW.

No offense, but it's amusing to me that you are a CK (which you stated in your original post) yet you seem to have no idea how basic airline economics work.

alasizon

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 am

USAirALB wrote:
remymartin11 wrote:

What does RDU-KEF have to do with RDU-PHX? I can single-handedly assure you that RDU-KEF is not "high-yielding", especially as FI is essentially a LCC targeting budget-minded travelers in the TATL market.
remymartin11 wrote:

No offense, but it's amusing to me that you are a CK (which you stated in your original post) yet you seem to have no idea how basic airline economics work.

I'm 99% sure the OP isn't a CK.

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:02 pm

alasizon wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Thank you. So it's a seasonal route. That's not a surprise. Look at DL/AA/WN DTW-PHX winter vs. summer.

stlgph

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:49 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

That’s a fake schedule.

bummer, then i guess the London nonstop isn't happening in the spring and summer, either, eh?

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm

USAirALB wrote:
A full flight does not mean a profitable flight. PHX isn't necessarily high-yielding, and virtually all available transfer opportunities ex PHX can be accessed via both DFW and CLT.

PHX has enough tech traffic that I'd wager the yields on such a flight would be sufficient.

drdisque

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:32 pm

I think that another likely reason that AA and WN don't feel obligated to offer it is that when they drop it, they still hold onto the majority of the traffic because UA and DL are both relatively weak at both ends of the route.

Murdoughnut

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:
remymartin11 wrote:

remymartin11 wrote:

I can single-handidly assure you that RDU-KEF is incredibly high yielding. In fact, it's one of the most successful new route launches the carrier has had in recent history. Don't believe me? Look at how not-cheap the fares are for next summer for that flight, and how often they've extended the seasonality for it.

Source: I was heavily involved in the launch of this route and have recently discussed its performance with the airline.
Last edited by Murdoughnut on Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayzel777

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:26 pm

stlgph wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

That’s a fake schedule.

bummer, then i guess the London nonstop isn't happening in the spring and summer, either, eh?

PHXLHR is real. They need to fly it to keep the slot but the domestic schedules are fake until they publish a real operating schedule.

floridaflyboy

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 pm

drdisque wrote:
I think that another likely reason that AA and WN don't feel obligated to offer it is that when they drop it, they still hold onto the majority of the traffic because UA and DL are both relatively weak at both ends of the route.

DL is weak in RDU? I'd love to know the logic there since last I saw, Delta was still the number one carrier at RDU (albeit much smaller than before COVID).

BA744PHX

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:46 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
drdisque wrote:

DL is weak in RDU? I'd love to know the logic there since last I saw, Delta was still the number one carrier at RDU (albeit much smaller than before COVID).

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... 4vr4=SNPgf

Still number one, but not by much

drdisque

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:20 pm

Point taken.

I still think not many pax fly RDU-PHX on DL.

also the BTS stats for airlines kind of suck because they are by operating carrier and not marketing carrier. If you look further down you'll see that Pax on RDU-ATL is less than the total on RDU-CLT and RDU-MIA. I know DL also has DTW but AA also has ORD and DFW and both AA and DL fly LGA/JFK.

Bentheswim11

Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:11 am

Murdoughnut wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
remymartin11 wrote:

remymartin11 wrote:

I can single-handidly assure you that RDU-KEF is incredibly high yielding. In fact, it's one of the most successful new route launches the carrier has had in recent history. Don't believe me? Look at how not-cheap the fares are for next summer for that flight, and how often they've extended the seasonality for it.

Source: I was heavily involved in the launch of this route and have recently discussed its performance with the airline.

I can tell you that it is high-yielding. I’ve gotten confirmation that the flights have been operating at about 98% capacity both ways on most days. In summer months, it upgrades during peak travel times to the Max 9. They also extended the flight schedule. Originally supposed to run May-October, they extended it to end in January. They have now scheduled it to resume in March and the flight will become 5x weekly in May

AntonioMartin

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:05 am

alasizon wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
remymartin11 wrote:

remymartin11 wrote:

A CK? Whats a CK? A ...Calvin Klein???

AirKevin

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:11 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
alasizon wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I guess Cabin Krew. That's just a guess, mind you.

jplatts

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:

A CK is an ConciergeKey membership, which includes AAdvantage Executive Platinum status and a few other perks.

AntonioMartin

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:35 am

jplatts wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

A CK is an ConciergeKey membership, which includes AAdvantage Executive Platinum status and a few other perks.

oooh ok gotcha! Thanks for the clarification!