Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sdmccray1984
Topic Author

Ever had a connection through your home airport?

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:32 am

As a traveler living in a city that has a large hub, have you ever found yourself connecting through your home airport? For instance, I live in Charlotte (CLT) & I might fly to NYC to work for 3 days. From there I might have to fly to New Orleans to work for 2 days, but I have to connect on AA through … CLT. Weird having to change planes 10 minutes from your house. Has that happened to anyone who travels frequently? Also, which hubs provide the most seamless connections? GRU was the worst!

jumpjets

Re: Ever had a connection through your home airport?

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:14 am

Living in west London I have regarded LHR as my home airport for over 30 years, but in that time only twice had a through connection, though it was all part of one round trip journey.

I had been away working in Ghana and was coming back for a family Christmas up in Manchester so I flew ACC - LHR - MAN with BA and then the reverse in the New Year.

ACDC8

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:28 am

Yup, YLW being my old home airport, connected through there lots of times coming from work and off to Vegas the same day.

zrs70

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm

When I live in Cincinnati in the mid 90’s, it was always cheaper driving to DAY/ LEX/SDF. I would then connect through CVG and on to my destination.

NameOmitted

Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:36 pm

It only sort of counts, but in the waning weeks of the Alaska/MarkAir price war that drove.MarkAir from the state, AS had killer deals flying from JNU to SEA.

It was cheaper for those of us in SIT to fly North to JNU and take the AS JNU/SIT/SEA flight then it was to just pick up the plane in SIT.

masi1157

Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:10 pm

Years ago there was a similar thread asking for connections through "your old hometown". I answered...

masi1157 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
So have you ever connected through your old hometown without leaving the airport?

Even worse, it was and still is my hometown. I had a weekend trip booked from HAM to somewhere in Europe (don't remember where) leaving friday afternoon. The same day I had to go for a meeting in Bremen. During that time long-gone OLT offered flights from BRE to HAM on an F100 for rather little money (the flight came from or went on to an Airbus site in Europe). So I actually flew BRE-HAM, stayed in the airport for a good hour and then flew HAM-???.

Gruß, masi1157

Fuling

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:16 pm

Mine isn't strictly a 'connection', but is surprisingly another Bremen (home airport at the time) story!

I had originally booked a flight from BRE-FRA-PVG with LH. However a few weeks before this flight, I found out I needed to go to New York and Boston. So rather than rebooking the BRE-PVG flight, I booked BOS-FRA-BRE to arrive in BRE on the same aircraft that then took me back to FRA for the PVG flight. So the final routing for my trip was BOS-FRA-BRE-FRA-PVG on a B744 and B735 mix.

vhqpa

Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:00 am

Not quite the same, but I lived in Brisbane for 25 years, but very recently moved to Townsville. The other day to visit family in South Australia I booked TSV-BNE-MEL-ADL-BNE-TSV. It’s going to feel very weird connecting and not leaving the airport in BNE.

It was strange enough flying TSV-BNE yesterday and not having my vehicle available on the Brisbane end.

stlgph

Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:58 pm

When I was living in STL - yes, years ago during a mileage run with a friend at the end of the year. Most times we would just do a day out to LAX, hit In & Out Burger and come back, but one time, thanks to the multi-city booking feature on AA.com, we did a bunch of midwest cities (TUL, OKC, and the like) doing a stupid number of legs in one day and in the midst of all this...passed through STL....twice.

TangoandCash

Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:59 pm

DFW was home for almost 20 years before I was 'exiled' to Denver for a year. Did a couple trips connecting through DFW (DEN-DFW-DCA was one). Felt weird arriving at DFW and not heading for the exits. But at least I knew the best snack stops for my layover!

lhristebest

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Due to Europe having cheaper prices I flew LHR-ARN-LHR-LAX back in 2014. I am not sure if it counts because I went home between the connection and came back the next day

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:35 am

Most recently, I was in Detroit for work and was to join my family in Milwaukee, where were visiting extended family. WN was selling a DTW-BNA-MKE connection that was cheaper than the DL nonstops, so I took it and met the family at BNA.

stlgph

Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:52 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Most recently, I was in Detroit for work and was to join my family in Milwaukee, where were visiting extended family. WN was selling a DTW-BNA-MKE connection that was cheaper than the DL nonstops, so I took it and met the family at BNA.

ah yes, you made me remember I did some "WN magic" of that nature a few times. being from right in the middle of IND and MDW/ORD, I did a few WN trips from MDW to visit friends in ATL about some 2 or 3 years ago which had a stop and change of planes in IND.

MD8090orDRIVE

Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:09 am

I live about 1hr south of Salt Lake City and quite often work on the west coast one week and head straight to the east coast that usually gives me a SLC connection on Delta. It always feels a bit strange and depending on the assignment I have, often tempting to just head home and not take the next flight. Once I was heading from OKC to LWS to work a tennis tournament at Washington St and did not want to go. I got lucky and there was an issue with a windshield wiper and the flight was four hours late. There was no morning flight to Lewiston the next day so there was no use heading up to Lewiston so when the Delta agent handed me a hotel voucher I was able to say no thank you and just head home. Had I been connecting at another airport I would have been messed up.

Another time it was my family with my wife and two children. We were going to fly to Seattle for a family visit and the airfare from SLC to SEA was about $600 each. For giggles I looked at the price from Cedar City and it was about $280 return. So all four of us drove the 2.5hrs to Cedar City parked for free and connected through SLC both ways and saved almost $1,200 with fuel included. I have looked several other times but never found a cheaper flight out of CDC again.