Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

TLV-FRA in C: 90K miles + 400USD in tax or… $400 in paid C?!

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 pm

Is there really a question?

Brussels Airlines sells one way tickets TLV-BUD (via FRA) for about $400USD in C one way. I built an overnight connection in FRA (so I can easily check my bags just to there). One way TLV-FRA is otherwise $1300.

I will go ahead and cancel my Air France award (90K miles plus $400USD).

PatrickZ80

Re: TLV-FRA in C: 90K miles + 400USD in tax or… $400 in paid C?!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:54 pm

That's called a hidden destination. Illegal, but certainly not uncommon. Keep in mind that airlines might blacklist you if you do this too often.

Does your destination specifically have to be Frankfurt or can it be anywhere in the area? After all, while $400 is lower than $1300, it's still a lot of money. Certainly if you keep in mind that you can have a Ryanair TLV-FKB flight for as little as €26 (that's the lowest price I could find). Okay, costs for checked luggage still come on top of that but it would still be significantly cheaper. If you pick the Plus tariff that flight costs you €62 and it has everything included like checked luggage, seat selection and free check-in at the airport. Downsides are that this price doesn't apply every day, it fluctuates. Some days are more expensive than others. And Ryanair only flies this route 2x weekly. Plus you arrive at FKB instead of FRA, but the costs of getting from FKB to FRA can't be that high. Both are in the same area after all.

In other words, even with a hidden destination Brussels Airlines (or Lufthansa as they'll be the actual airline operating that flight) is still expensive. One of the reasons is that they run an awards program, airlines charge more for the tickets than they need to only to put the surplus in a savings account for you where you can spend it as miles or points or whatever. Ryanair doesn't do that, no matter how often you fly them you never build up anything. But they do offer you the lowest price over and over again.

SRQKEF

Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:01 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's called a hidden destination. Illegal, but certainly not uncommon. Keep in mind that airlines might blacklist you if you do this too often.

Does your destination specifically have to be Frankfurt or can it be anywhere in the area? After all, while $400 is lower than $1300, it's still a lot of money. Certainly if you keep in mind that you can have a Ryanair TLV-FKB flight for as little as €26 (that's the lowest price I could find). Okay, costs for checked luggage still come on top of that but it would still be significantly cheaper. If you pick the Plus tariff that flight costs you €62 and it has everything included like checked luggage, seat selection and free check-in at the airport. Downsides are that this price doesn't apply every day, it fluctuates. Some days are more expensive than others. And Ryanair only flies this route 2x weekly. Plus you arrive at FKB instead of FRA, but the costs of getting from FKB to FRA can't be that high. Both are in the same area after all.

In other words, even with a hidden destination Brussels Airlines (or Lufthansa as they'll be the actual airline operating that flight) is still expensive. One of the reasons is that they run an awards program, airlines charge more for the tickets than they need to only to put the surplus in a savings account for you where you can spend it as miles or points or whatever. Ryanair doesn't do that, no matter how often you fly them you never build up anything. But they do offer you the lowest price over and over again.

He is booked in C (Business Class) so I highly doubt Ryanair is on his radar.

zrs70
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:37 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Thanks for the extensive explanation that, while quite informative, is really not in response to the observation of my post!

Yes, it’s hidden city. I know that. I also know that I am in jeopardy of being rerouted directly to Budapest in case of regular operations - ignoring my planned overnight stop in Frankfurt (as the airline really has no obligation to get me to Frankfurt in the first place).

But to be clear, I’m flying in business, not economy. Need to fly to FRA for my ongoing flight early the next day.

Oh, and I don’t do Ryanair!

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:41 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
He is booked in C (Business Class) so I highly doubt Ryanair is on his radar.

Ah, that explains it. I already wondered what C meant since business class is usually referred to as J. (F = first class, J = business class, Y = economy class)

Since I never even consider business class myself (way too expensive for me) the thought didn't enter my mind. Why fly business class if economy class gets you to your destination just as fast and for way less money. But to each their own of course.