Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlnessW
Topic Author

"Self-Scanning" Boarding?

Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:48 pm

I've noticed many carriers in the U.S. have changed from gate agents taking boarding passes for scanning, to either handheld devices or "self-scanning." Some handhelds appear to "talk" to the main podium computer via WiFi, Bluetooth, or what have you...pretty nifty.

It seems as though most agents don't wish to handle such documents anymore. I didn't really travel much in 2020-2021...is this a relic of the coronavirus era (social distancing and "eliminating touch points") that has merely stuck around? Ever-evolving and upgrading airline technology? Changes made for passengers boarding with mobile devices? Combination(s) of all of the above?

On a recent trip, there was actually an announcement before pre-boarding to explain self-scanning - instructions for each passenger to board only with his or her OWN pass, use scanners on both sides of the lane, screen brightness turned all the way up for those using a mobile, and so on. Personally - I find it a bit annoying standing in a long boarding line that's being held up by Mom or Dad trying to board their entire party of 4-7+ (adults and kids plus dogs, cats, guinea pigs, snakes, espresso machine, and inflatable shark) using only a single mobile phone. Lots of flutzing around, clumsily trying to scroll through multiple QR codes and the like. This approach seemed to really speed things along, combined with the fact the gate was using legitimate scanners (as opposed to handheld computers, tablets, that sort of thing).

Also recently, at a United gate I noticed "subway-esque" turnstyles for boarding - however they weren't in use for my particular flight. I hope they have trap doors which activate for anyone who tries to board ahead of their zone number! ;)

davidjohnson6

Re: "Self-Scanning" Boarding?

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 pm

Despite what airlines or airports may say.... this is all about saving money, and getting the passengers do (for free) what was previously done by (paid) gate agents
An airline or handling company wishes to devote the smallest possible amount of (paid) human time to handle each flight

If boarding a 737 needs a gate agent's presence for just 30 minutes instead of 40 minutes... then the gate agent can handle more flights per day, and the handling company or airline needs fewer employees and can save on its monthly salary bill

Remember - air transport is a remarkably labour intensive industry. Management will always look to automate tasks and cut out the need to pay human beings. The regulatory obligation of maximum number of passengers (or seats) per cabin crew and the need to demonstrate to regulators the capacity to evacuate in the event of fire are probably the only things that prevent some airlines from slashing cabin crew in the cheap seats cabin :-)

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:00 pm

You raise some really good points here - I remember dealing with a single gate agent for my flight out of MSP once. I was fairly convinced he was either drunk, half-asleep, or otherwise disinterested in every aspect of the world around him. I needed my seat assignment (not available online or at a kiosk), so I went to the podium and got a response like "Oh, uhhhh - you should mrrrmmm-huh, the errrrrr...ummmm...zzzzzz." I had to repeat my request at least twice, same goes for getting him to print out a tag for my cabin suitcase. Basics...

United (others too, no doubt) seems rather adamant about customers doing everything themselves on a phone app - except for flying the actual aircraft. :P Ticket lobbies are riddled with self-service machines and DIY signage instead of real agents... I'm now even more grateful for either status or mileage cards that allow for dedicated check-in lines.

Thank goodness for certain regulations requiring cabin crew and personnel on aircraft!!

ACDC8

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 pm

In my experience, self scanning using your phone or paper boarding pass was quite common long before Covid, even in the US. Having flown in/out of the US every couple of weeks for years prior to the pandemic, I honestly can't remember the last time a gate agent or security screener scanned for me.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:22 pm

I might be way off with timing...

AirKevin

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:41 pm

AlnessW wrote:
I've noticed many carriers in the U.S. have changed from gate agents taking boarding passes for scanning, to either handheld devices or "self-scanning." Some handhelds appear to "talk" to the main podium computer via WiFi, Bluetooth, or what have you...pretty nifty.

It seems as though most agents don't wish to handle such documents anymore. I didn't really travel much in 2020-2021...is this a relic of the coronavirus era (social distancing and "eliminating touch points") that has merely stuck around? Ever-evolving and upgrading airline technology? Changes made for passengers boarding with mobile devices? Combination(s) of all of the above?

When I flew both at the end of 2021 and September, I flew Southwest, Frontier, and Delta. From what I recall, all three took my phone in order to scan my boarding pass on the scanner.
AlnessW wrote:
On a recent trip, there was actually an announcement before pre-boarding to explain self-scanning - instructions for each passenger to board only with his or her OWN pass, use scanners on both sides of the lane, screen brightness turned all the way up for those using a mobile, and so on. Personally - I find it a bit annoying standing in a long boarding line that's being held up by Mom or Dad trying to board their entire party of 4-7+ (adults and kids plus dogs, cats, guinea pigs, snakes, espresso machine, and inflatable shark) using only a single mobile phone. Lots of flutzing around, clumsily trying to scroll through multiple QR codes and the like.

The problem is how do you handle that on a phone. Back in 2019, my friend and I were flying, and I was the one who booked the flights, so the itinerary and boarding passes were on my phone. I don't know how she would have had her boarding pass on her phone. Additionally, as far as a large family, I don't know how you would handle young kids since one wouldn't expect a 3-year-old to have a phone.
AlnessW wrote:
Also recently, at a United gate I noticed "subway-esque" turnstyles for boarding - however they weren't in use for my particular flight. I hope they have trap doors which activate for anyone who tries to board ahead of their zone number! ;)

Slight problem with that theory. Back in 2010, I was flying with a friend on one flight, but we had two separate tickets because we were flying to two different places. I was boarding group 2, he was boarding group 3. The gate agent let him board when boarding group 2 was called because he was with me, but I don't know how that would work with your trap door theory. Additionally, last September, I flew GRB-MCO with a connection in ATL. On the GRB-ATL flight, I boarded when my boarding group was called, but my back and knee injuries meant that walking was difficult for me, and I felt like I was holding up boarding because I was slow walking down the jetway and ended up having to stop several times. On the ATL-MCO flight, I wasn't taking my chances, and ended up boarding when they called for pre-boarding. Since my boarding pass doesn't mention anything about pre-boarding, I don't know how that trap door of yours would work. As for why I didn't pre-board the first flight, this was my first time flying when my injuries had gotten that bad, and I had no idea that that would happen.

ACDC8

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:48 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
In my experience, self scanning using your phone or paper boarding pass was quite common long before Covid, even in the US. Having flown in/out of the US every couple of weeks for years prior to the pandemic, I honestly can't remember the last time a gate agent or security screener scanned for me.

Just for clarification:

SEA, BLI, LAS, SFO, DEN, PHX, LAX, SLC

AS, WN, AA, UA, DL, G4, AC, WS

AlnessW
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:35 am

Disclaimer - I've never tried to board an aircraft using a cell phone, so by all means feel free to correct or discredit anything on the subject (in this thread or anywhere else)...

AirKevin wrote:
When I flew both at the end of 2021 and September, I flew Southwest, Frontier, and Delta. From what I recall, all three took my phone in order to scan my boarding pass on the scanner.

Last several Delta trips (2022), I've had agents using handheld computers to scan during boarding (seemingly while also monitoring things like load, time to departure, etc.). Don't think I've ever flown the other 2, at least not for eons...

AirKevin wrote:
The problem is how do you handle that on a phone. Back in 2019, my friend and I were flying, and I was the one who booked the flights, so the itinerary and boarding passes were on my phone. I don't know how she would have had her boarding pass on her phone. Additionally, as far as a large family, I don't know how you would handle young kids since one wouldn't expect a 3-year-old to have a phone.

I'm not making this up - the announcement asked for everyone to use his or her own boarding pass, individually - whether a real pass or mobile phone. And obviously meaning within sensible limits - no one would expect a small child, toddler, infant, waffle iron, vending machine, or lawnmower to have to board without someone else lending a hand. It occurs to me...doesn't everyone need their own pass or QR code at TSA? I can't picture how that would work with multiple passengers on the same device...

AirKevin wrote:
Slight problem with that theory. Back in 2010, I was flying with a friend on one flight, but we had two separate tickets because we were flying to two different places. I was boarding group 2, he was boarding group 3. The gate agent let him board when boarding group 2 was called because he was with me, but I don't know how that would work with your trap door theory. Additionally, last September, I flew GRB-MCO with a connection in ATL. On the GRB-ATL flight, I boarded when my boarding group was called, but my back and knee injuries meant that walking was difficult for me, and I felt like I was holding up boarding because I was slow walking down the jetway and ended up having to stop several times. On the ATL-MCO flight, I wasn't taking my chances, and ended up boarding when they called for pre-boarding. Since my boarding pass doesn't mention anything about pre-boarding, I don't know how that trap door of yours would work. As for why I didn't pre-board the first flight, this was my first time flying when my injuries had gotten that bad, and I had no idea that that would happen.

My "theory" only works if the trapdoor is multi-dimensional - allowing travel to either Atlantis, Kingdom of the Sun, or the flight's actual destination. ;)

All kidding aside - again I've never actually seen such turnstyles in action...so maybe it's flight, aircraft, or ground crew dependent. It looks you scan a boarding pass, the lights flash red or green, then gate opens on green much like a subway system. Agent paged for assistance on red? Each lane was also marked - 1st class on the left, zones 1-2 down the middle, zones 3-4 on the right - that sort of thing.

AirKevin

Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:09 am

AlnessW wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

I'm not making this up - the announcement asked for everyone to use his or her own boarding pass, individually - whether a real pass or mobile phone. And obviously meaning within sensible limits - no one would expect a small child, toddler, infant, waffle iron, vending machine, or lawnmower to have to board without someone else lending a hand.

Sure, but if you have everyone on one itinerary using a mobile boarding pass, how would the boarding passes end up on somebody else's phone, and what do you then do for the people who don't have phones.
AlnessW wrote:
It occurs to me...doesn't everyone need their own pass or QR code at TSA? I can't picture how that would work with multiple passengers on the same device...

The last time this happened, my friend and I went up to the TSA checkpoint at the same time since we were obviously traveling together. I pulled up her boarding pass on my phone, her ID was checked, and then I swiped over to my boarding pass. Even with boarding, we went up to the gate together, so I pulled up her boarding pass and scanned it, then swiped over to my boarding pass and scanned it. For the most part, this didn't cause any kerfuffles, other than on the last flight, when the gate agent saw her name pop up and asked, to which I pointed to my friend, who was standing right next to me. Swiped over to my boarding pass, scanned it, and got on the flight.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:48 am

AirKevin wrote:
Sure, but if you have everyone on one itinerary using a mobile boarding pass, how would the boarding passes end up on somebody else's phone

I don't know. Again, I never claimed to have a solution nor have I ever attempted traveling this way. It seems clunky to me for reasons stated, why is partially why I avoid it... However, as observed in my OP things merely appeared to go more smoothly when agents offered instructions on how to go about it.

AirKevin wrote:
and what do you then do for the people who don't have phones.

Print at home, at a business center, at an internet cafe, at a self-service machine, with a ticket agent, or with a gate agent?

AirKevin wrote:
The last time this happened, my friend and I went up to the TSA checkpoint at the same time since we were obviously traveling together. I pulled up her boarding pass on my phone, her ID was checked, and then I swiped over to my boarding pass. Even with boarding, we went up to the gate together, so I pulled up her boarding pass and scanned it, then swiped over to my boarding pass and scanned it. For the most part, this didn't cause any kerfuffles, other than on the last flight, when the gate agent saw her name pop up and asked, to which I pointed to my friend, who was standing right next to me. Swiped over to my boarding pass, scanned it, and got on the flight.

And if that all works for everyone involved, great!

PatrickZ80

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:21 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Sure, but if you have everyone on one itinerary using a mobile boarding pass, how would the boarding passes end up on somebody else's phone, and what do you then do for the people who don't have phones.

You can always make a screenshot of a boarding card and send it over to another phone. The scanners won't see the difference. As a matter of fact, if you got a printer, you can print out that screenshot and use it as a boarding card. Speaking of which, paper boarding cards can still be obtained.

I do always use my phone as a boarding card but I remember one time I traveled on an airline (Transavia) who's app needed an internet connection each time you loaded your boarding card. It wasn't stored on the phone, it was viewed online. Since I don't have a mobile internet subscription and the airport WiFi was unreliable, I ended up making a screenshot of my boarding card and using that throughout the whole process. I don't know if they resolved the issue since then, it's been a while since I last flew them.

Sending over images like screenshots is easy, doesn't everyone have Whatsapp today?

ACDC8

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:54 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
You can always make a screenshot of a boarding card and send it over to another phone.

Yup, always did that when travelling with my ex. I had the airline app on my phone, checked us both in on my phone and sent her boarding pass to her phone.
PatrickZ80 wrote:
doesn't everyone have Whatsapp today?

Nope. No need for it.

PITingres

Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Sending over images like screenshots is easy, doesn't everyone have Whatsapp today?

Of course not. I trust that was tongue-in-cheek, otherwise it was a very poor assumption.

IADFCO

Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:58 pm

I don't mind self-scanning.

I draw the line at facial recognition (the airline type, where they can do whatever they want with your biometric data, not the TSA type, where at least they throw away the data after 12 hours or whatever).

AirKevin

Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

You can always make a screenshot of a boarding card and send it over to another phone. The scanners won't see the difference. As a matter of fact, if you got a printer, you can print out that screenshot and use it as a boarding card. Speaking of which, paper boarding cards can still be obtained.

To be fair, the flight I flew with my friend happened back in 2019, and I didn't figure out how to take a screenshot on my phone until two years later.

FGITD

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:36 am

I was working for an airline when we mostly transitioned from issuing boarding passes to encouraging mobile, minimizing handoffs, and mobile quickly became infinitely easier.

Open the app, tap boarding pass, then it just became a matter of scan/swipe for larger groups on one reservation. Or if you’re a little more tech aware, add the tickets to your phone’s wallet. No more fumbling around for 5 minutes because dad threw away the boarding passes with the receipt at Hudson news, or searching everywhere because the 8 year old was allegedly responsible enough to hold her own boarding pass.

Last I heard they were trialing boarding groups via one boarding pass for sake of ease.

I myself always use the screenshot method, just in case.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:04 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
doesn't everyone have Whatsapp today?

Not sure...better check and see if I have it installed? ;)

IADFCO wrote:
I draw the line at facial recognition (the airline type, where they can do whatever they want with your biometric data, not the TSA type, where at least they throw away the data after 12 hours or whatever).

I've wondered about these, too - noticed facial scanners at certain Delta gates at most airports they serve. Since I've never seen them in-use during boarding, I'm unclear as to what they're actually for...international departures and passport verification?

FGITD wrote:
I was working for an airline when we mostly transitioned from issuing boarding passes to encouraging mobile, minimizing handoffs, and mobile quickly became infinitely easier.

This definitely hits home with my initial inquiry and experiences. From your perspective - was that transition due to coronavirus, limiting gate staff, encouraging DIY travel (I mean short of downloading an app to arm exit doors and pressurize the cabin yourself), technology changing, combination of the above, something totally different?

FGITD wrote:
Last I heard they were trialing boarding groups via one boarding pass for sake of ease.

This is also intriguing - though I can't imagine how an agent could board multiple seats, passengers, confirmations, sequences (?), and so on under a single barcode.

teachpdx

Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm

AirKevin wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

To be fair, the flight I flew with my friend happened back in 2019, and I didn't figure out how to take a screenshot on my phone until two years later.

You can also have other traveling companions download the airline’s app and then add the trip for themselves via the confirmation code.

Or if you send the pass to Apple Wallet from there it’s also pretty easy to share the proper boarding pass with your traveling companion.

I enjoy having the pass on my watch, makes it super convenient to not even have the phone out during boarding. It’s been years since I had a paper boarding card.

slick1017

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:17 pm

The next advancement I've seen since self-scanning is biometric scanning. On my flight out of SFO to MUC at the start of 2023 I didn't even have to present a hard-copy/soft-copy boarding pass, they just scanned my face and let me through. Honestly don't mind it at all, it seems to make boarding slightly faster and means I don't have to fiddle with my phone and hope the scanner is functioning properly.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:08 pm

teachpdx wrote:
You can also have other traveling companions download the airline’s app and then add the trip for themselves via the confirmation code.

Or if you send the pass to Apple Wallet from there it’s also pretty easy to share the proper boarding pass with your traveling companion.

Ahhhhh, yes - this seems to be exactly what the agents I experienced were talking about, when it came to "everyone please use your own device, if attempting to board with a mobile document." Things appeared to move more efficiently. Elsewise, suppose I'm outdated for dropping bags at the check-in counter and obtaining paper travel documents! :cool2:

slick1017 wrote:
The next advancement I've seen since self-scanning is biometric scanning. On my flight out of SFO to MUC at the start of 2023 I didn't even have to present a hard-copy/soft-copy boarding pass, they just scanned my face and let me through. Honestly don't mind it at all, it seems to make boarding slightly faster and means I don't have to fiddle with my phone and hope the scanner is functioning properly.

I'm kind of wondering about this, too. Both in terms as to when or where it's used (what carrier were you on?) - as well as what airline protocols are in place for data security, retention, and destruction. You see some weird stuff out there these days when it comes to privacy... For international flights like yours, I'd guess they match facial recognition with passport photos in their system?

slick1017

Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:55 pm

AlnessW wrote:
teachpdx wrote:

Ahhhhh, yes - this seems to be exactly what the agents I experienced were talking about, when it came to "everyone please use your own device, if attempting to board with a mobile document." Things appeared to move more efficiently. Elsewise, suppose I'm outdated for dropping bags at the check-in counter and obtaining paper travel documents! :cool2:

slick1017 wrote:

I'm kind of wondering about this, too. Both in terms as to when or where it's used (what carrier were you on?) - as well as what airline protocols are in place for data security, retention, and destruction. You see some weird stuff out there these days when it comes to privacy... For international flights like yours, I'd guess they match facial recognition with passport photos in their system?

I was flying on United to MUC. I would assume the facial/biometrics scanning data is probably held by the TSA / border security type government agency rather than in the hands of individual airlines. And yes, probably matching with passport photos as a means of confirming the identity and validity of the travelers itinerary.

TWA772LR

Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:33 am

AlnessW wrote:
Thank goodness for certain regulations requiring cabin crew and personnel on aircraft!!

If a drone can shoot a hellfire missile at a T72 in Afghanistan then one can certainly fly a family to MCO. Throw in auto-opening doors, auto-inflating slides, a couple Coke Freestyle machines and the FAs are gone too!

PITingres

Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:13 pm

slick1017 wrote:

There are plenty of ways that can go wrong, as well, even if you leave out all the wonderful possibilities stemming from theft of your facial image data from the airline servers. Identical twin scams, correction for facial injuries, new glasses, beards, etc etc. I personally think it's a stupid idea.

I never have to fiddle with my phone because I use a paper boarding pass. I never have to worry about whether my phone brightness is up, or how far away from the scanner I have to hold it.

teachpdx

Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 am

PITingres wrote:
I never have to fiddle with my phone because I use a paper boarding pass. I never have to worry about whether my phone brightness is up, or how far away from the scanner I have to hold it.

I like mobile because it’s not likely to be lost. I don’t have to worry about which pocket it’s in… did I put it with my passport or in my book, did it get left in the newspaper I was reading earlier? I’m much less likely to misplace my mobile device than a boarding pass. And it costs more money to have a paper boarding pass on many airlines now.

I think that older people want paper boarding passes just to match all the other older people who keep them in their shirt pocket for everybody else to see. It’s like a travel badge of affluence and honor to walk through the terminal displaying your paper boarding pass, and their seat number is obviously visible if they have a seat in the front.

I am part of a generation, however, that’s always fiddling with their phones so it’s no extra fiddling if it contains my boarding pass… why fiddle with an extra random sheet of paper?

Back in the day I used to save boarding passes from trips, some of the more epic trips even got framed up. But then the ink faded and they were just weirdly-proportioned blank, yellowing papers. The Flighty app keeps track of all my flights now.

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:38 am

teachpdx wrote:
I like mobile because it’s not likely to be lost. I don’t have to worry about which pocket it’s in… did I put it with my passport or in my book, did it get left in the newspaper I was reading earlier? I’m much less likely to misplace my mobile device than a boarding pass. And it costs more money to have a paper boarding pass on many airlines now.

Your comment about passports is interesting to me becuase the only time I like paper now is for international with my kids. Stick it in the passport and you can tell at a glance which passport is whose and it doubles as a “bookmark” to the appropriate page of the passport.

For any domestic or solo international, 100 percent mobile for me.

PITingres

Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:21 am

teachpdx wrote:
I am part of a generation, however, that’s always fiddling with their phones so it’s no extra fiddling if it contains my boarding pass… why fiddle with an extra random sheet of paper?

No doubt that's part of it. My phone sits untouched on my desk for days at a time, and when I travel, it's tucked away in the laptop bag until I need it. I don't have the slightest difficulty keeping track of my boarding pass because it's the only thing in my trouser pockets when I fly. (Well, and an ID or passport.)

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:45 am

slick1017 wrote:
I was flying on United to MUC. I would assume the facial/biometrics scanning data is probably held by the TSA / border security type government agency rather than in the hands of individual airlines. And yes, probably matching with passport photos as a means of confirming the identity and validity of the travelers itinerary.

Could be, I've noticed signage nearby face scanners appears to branded with US CBP logos.

TWA772LR wrote:
If a drone can shoot a hellfire missile at a T72 in Afghanistan then one can certainly fly a family to MCO. Throw in auto-opening doors, auto-inflating slides, a couple Coke Freestyle machines and the FAs are gone too!

HAH! So, so true!!! :biggrin: Hmmm...although, I certainly wouldn't mind having Coke Freestyle on a domestic flight!

PITingres wrote:
There are plenty of ways that can go wrong, as well, even if you leave out all the wonderful possibilities stemming from theft of your facial image data from the airline servers. Identical twin scams, correction for facial injuries, new glasses, beards, etc etc. I personally think it's a stupid idea.

I agree with everything here - and using myself merely as an example, my current passport photo looks nothing like me today.

teachpdx wrote:
Back in the day I used to save boarding passes from trips, some of the more epic trips even got framed up. But then the ink faded and they were just weirdly-proportioned blank, yellowing papers. The Flighty app keeps track of all my flights now.

This was also much easier back when airlines would issue boarding passes on legitimate ticket cardstock, retain the larger section during boarding, then return only the stub to you...

teachpdx wrote:
I think that older people want paper boarding passes just to match all the other older people who keep them in their shirt pocket for everybody else to see. It’s like a travel badge of affluence and honor to walk through the terminal displaying your paper boarding pass, and their seat number is obviously visible if they have a seat in the front.

PITingres wrote:
No doubt that's part of it. My phone sits untouched on my desk for days at a time, and when I travel, it's tucked away in the laptop bag until I need it. I don't have the slightest difficulty keeping track of my boarding pass because it's the only thing in my trouser pockets when I fly. (Well, and an ID or passport.)

:bouncy: Count me in the "Shirt Pocket Club," as well!

Backtracking slightly to my initial inquiry... I'm still kind of wondering the What or Why some carriers or agents want self-scanning as opposed to handling boarding documents (or mobile phones etc.). A relic of the coronavirus era (social distancing and "eliminating touch points") that has merely stuck around? Ever-evolving and upgrading airline technology? All of the above? Not long ago, I out-of-habit handed my paper boarding pass to the agent - and I thought her reaction seemed more appropriate if I were pulling a weapon on her. She seemed startled, taking a step back and pointed to a nearby scanner...

davidjohnson6

Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:59 am

Carriers want self-scanning because it means they or the handling company need employ fewer people to get the passengers boarded onto a departing flight. Fewer employees means lower costs and higher profits.

Covid is just a convenient excuse in case anybody should ask why self-scanning is being introduced. Carriers generally don't really care about whether gate agents get Covid, beyond the fact that it might mean paying somebody sick pay when they are not working.

Gate agents prefer you to self-scan because it means less work for them... and the flight will likely be boarded more quickly so they can get back earlier to the coffee room to chat with colleagues

miegapele

Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:59 am

Because it saves money and is more convenient. I like boarding something like LH FRA-CPH, where most of the travellers are seasoned, gate agent just points at the gate and everybody boards without any issues or delays.