Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZflyboy
Topic Author

Why do Mainland Chinese tourists only want direct flights?

Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 am

I read in the NY Times about the lack of flights from China. My question is, why can’t they take connecting flights? Is it because of language, limited time away from work, or just cultural laziness?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/29/trav ... rists.html

volatus24

Re: Why do Mainland Chinese tourists only want direct flights?

Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 am

You could easily ask the same about European tourists who want direct flights to PMI, AGP, IBZ instead of just connecting in MAD. Or even more strikingly look at the demand for direct flights to JTR, JMK, SMI, CFU, CHQ etc. which get connections to a hundred different cities in Europe every summer. Why don't the hoards connect in ATH or HER?

I think point-to-point flying is generally much more popular for tourists who want to maximize their holiday time, and especially for older people or less-frequent travellers who also want simplify the travel as much as possible.

Mortyman

Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:42 am

I think most people want direct flgihts. I don't think that the Chineese are different from the rest in that regard.

luckyone

Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:12 am

Language and the fact that a lot of Chinese travel in groups. I would imagine for a group leader trying to corral a group through a large transfer hub would be a headache worth avoiding.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Direct or Non-stop?

N1120A

Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:54 pm

I mean, CAAC and their insane slot process could just have a teeny weeny bit to do with that...

volatus24 wrote:
You could easily ask the same about European tourists who want direct flights to PMI, AGP, IBZ instead of just connecting in MAD. Or even more strikingly look at the demand for direct flights to JTR, JMK, SMI, CFU, CHQ etc. which get connections to a hundred different cities in Europe every summer. Why don't the hoards connect in ATH or HER?

I think point-to-point flying is generally much more popular for tourists who want to maximize their holiday time, and especially for older people or less-frequent travellers who also want simplify the travel as much as possible.

There's a difference when talking about the distance involved and the percentage of time penalty. The American tourists who make up, by far, the largest per-person spenders in Greece aren't exactly expecting non-stops to the islands.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Direct or Non-stop?

Bud, you've been around long enough to know about that distinction in granularity. I appreciate it, but they mean non-stop when they say direct.

Kent350787

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:02 am

N1120A wrote:
I mean, CAAC and their insane slot process could just have a teeny weeny bit to do with that...

Exactly. Pre-Covid, the 15 Chinese airlines flying to SYD came from 9 or 10 different cities. That said, each of those cities does have a population larger than that of Sydney's almost 7 million....

N1120A

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:18 am

Kent350787 wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Exactly. Pre-Covid, the 15 Chinese airlines flying to SYD came from 9 or 10 different cities. That said, each of those cities does have a population larger than that of Sydney's almost 7 million....

Also, remember that Australia is closer to China than the US is, meaning there is a higher regional flow and lower costs

hongkongflyer

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:31 am

Kent350787 wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Also many of them already need to connect within China in order to get on the international flight,
so that it become a double connection if the long haul sector is not a direct flight.

miegapele

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:19 pm

Typical tourist aint typical seasoned traveller. Quite the opposite. If you don't travel much, and also don't know the language, it becomes way more stressful to transit. There is so many unknowns, do I need visa, do I need to recheck baggage, will I have enought time, will i find the gate, and so on.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:37 am

The Chinese international market still has a long way to go before a full return to pre-pandemic capacity.

Borders just opened this year, it takes time for global air travel to get back to 2019 levels. Additionally, when a large portion of nonstop international flights to and from a country are suspended, you will see a huge drop in passenger traffic overall. So it's not surprising why tourism from China is slow to resume, based on these reasons alone. Plus passport and visa delays aren't helping either as well.

A lot of stuff needs to be fixed/resolved in order for international air travel to get back to normal in China.

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:46 am

Didn't a Chinese airline start flying to KEF via HEL off something like that?

alex0easy

Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Juneyao (HO) announced the route in Nov19 to start in Mar20.
I guess we all know what happened later.

blandy62

Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:19 am

alex0easy wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Juneyao (HO) announced the route in Nov19 to start in Mar20.
I guess we all know what happened later.

Juneyao had some big plans for HEL prior to Covid. KEF via HEL was one of them. So looks like they are back o ntrack with it. I think they also had HEL-MAN in store at the time

rt23456p

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Direct or Non-stop?

Non-stop, almost everyone cursed CZ on their CZ699 (Direct but with a stop in WUH) after CZ deliberately branded as a direct service.

aeromoe

Tue May 02, 2023 7:04 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Direct or Non-stop?

This. Thank you. There IS a difference although many youngins/yutes don't realize it. Probably some older folk like us don't realize it either but they are different. Guess it depends on your experience.