Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Is WN likely to announce any new destinations in 2023?

Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:50 pm

WN has recently stated that it was considering adding service to KIN according to a Simple Flying article at https://simpleflying.com/southwest-airl ... perations/.

WN had previously stated (prior to the COVID-19 pandemic) that it was considering adding service to ANC, and ANC is the #1 remaining market in the U.S. without WN service.

Here are the top remaining markets without WN service in the contiguous U.S. by number of domestic passengers in 2022:
TYS - 2441489
MSN - 1841052
AVL - 1836112
XNA - 1627832
GSO - 1587763
EYW - 1375501 (WN previously served EYW)
MDT - 1244564
CID - 1222819
FSD - 1217857
BTV - 1201424

Of the markets listed above, WN had stated that it was considering adding service to AVL 2 1/2 years ago.

Any likelihood of WN announcing any of the above destinations later this year?

TWA772LR

Re: Is WN likely to announce any new destinations in 2023?

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 am

XNA and TYS maybe. The rest are all a crap shoot whether or not they'll happen anytime soon, IMO.

Both are growing regions with huge research universities as well as XNA having some big name companies around there i.e. Walmart and Tyson Foods.

Although for some reason FSD comes to mind as being plausible but I don't know why I think that. Plus I wonder how willing G4 would be willing to take on that turf war.

Wneast

Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 am

No they will add next year when they get back to growth.

DFWGlobeTrotter

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
XNA and TYS maybe. The rest are all a crap shoot whether or not they'll happen anytime soon, IMO.

Both are growing regions with huge research universities as well as XNA having some big name companies around there i.e. Walmart and Tyson Foods.

Although for some reason FSD comes to mind as being plausible but I don't know why I think that. Plus I wonder how willing G4 would be willing to take on that turf war.

There is a separate thread on XNA, and the possibility of WN service is being discussed there.

Generally speaking, I don't think anyone should count on WN serving XNA any time soon. It would get squeezed between well-established legacy carriers (especially AA, which serves 8 destinations nonstop from XNA), and LCCs (like G4, which serves 9 cities nonstop). I'm not sure about DL and UA, but AA has a strong FF contingent in Northwest Arkansas, due in no small part to its Walmart contracts. In my view, XNA wouldn't be worth the effort for WN, at least in the next half-decade or so.