Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffh747
Topic Author

Advice using AAdvantage miles to VN

Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:17 pm

Hello everyone,
First post here in such a long time so it's nice to be back! I am once again asking for some travel advice, after I received such great help booking my flights to Europe last year through here!
I am planning a trip to SGN for mid-May and have been struggling to find good award availability with AAdvantage. I have never tried planning a trip to Asia before, so I am honestly a bit confused why there is lots of space available for April but virtually none in May which is when I need to travel. I'd appreciate any tips from those of us who are familiar with redeeming points, because I just have not found any luck. I have like 60k miles to burn which should be more than enough for a one way ticket (I'm paying cash for the return on a different carrier), and especially so given the available redemption prices in April. While I know award space is never guaranteed, I am just unsure if I am looking too far in advance, or if all award seats for the month have been snapped up already? I would love some insight because if it is the latter, then I should figure out a different method to buy my outbound ticket!

If it helps, I am trying to fly from the East Coast of the U.S., but obviously wouldn't mind positioning myself to the West Coast or anywhere else really if it means I can save money and use the miles up.

I would also love any tips from those of us who have been to Vietnam, especially regarding the visa application process. I'm flying out there to visit some family of my significant other, but again, haven't yet been to that part of the world.

Cheers!
Jeff

alex0easy

Re: Advice using AAdvantage miles to VN

Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:01 am

If you have a US passport, you can get an e-visa here:
https://evisa.immigration.gov.vn/web/gu ... g-chu-ttdt
It does ask for your intended date of arrival and port of entry though, so you might want to figure that out first; although the visa's start date is usually earlier than the intended arrival date you entered.

PI4EVER

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:03 pm

There are AAdvantage award seats from LAX in May, via HND on JL for 37.5K for a one-way Y class seat. It is not a daily flight connection, but the display will show you the dates the award seats are available. JL service is very nice so this is a great deal you don't find often. Fly to LAX the day before so you'll incur that expense and a hotel, but don't risk missing the JL flight since it is not shown as daily.
I've found that with AA operating only one daily NRT and ICN flight from DFW that award seats are more limited and at higher levels.
I hope this helps. Good luck and safe travels.

n757kw

Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:05 pm

At my carrier, May is when we become very full on the US/Asia flights. Demand to Vietnam is good year round.

For a US citizen getting a visa was a breeze. It was done all online with the embassy and I got one within a week. If I remember correctly, you scan the picture page of the passport, scan a passport size picture, pay the fee and fill out the form. Very easy. They do ask for the dates of travel, but I put in when I thought I would be there. Within a week I had the visa by FedEx. I had to pay for the FedEx since my travel dates were very close.

N757KW

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:38 pm

Hello everyone, thank you all for the help! I really appreciated everyone's information about the visa. I'll be taking care of it tomorrow. It seems a lot more straightforward than I'd expected!

Regarding the flights, I struggled to find any good award flights that didn't involve the 5:15am arrival into SGN, so I ended up booking a cash fare JFK-NRT-SGN on JAL, with a much more preferable 21:55 arrival. I got nervous about booking an award ticket close in and still having to get the visa, so I do feel a lot more comfortable with the ticket I purchased.

I've never been to Asia, let alone NRT. As I booked my ticket directly through the JL website, I should receive my Loyalty Points for AA regardless, correct? Also I would appreciate any insight as to what I can expect during my transit. Will I stay in the secure area and can go directly to the lounge? Or will I have to clear customs and go through security again, like I would have to do here in the US? It's only a two hour layover, so it's far less than ideal for me to be comfortable for an int'l to int'l connection, and even less so if I'd have to go through any immigration formalities.

Thank you in advance!

n757kw

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 am

I transited NRT twice, once on a CGK/NRT/DFW route, I went through a security screening airside and a standard passport check. 2 hours will not be a problem. The second time I was traveling ATL/NRT/ICN and had to enter the country because I was on staff travel on two different carriers.

I was traveling on a airline pass to SGN, so I did not really have any exact dates I would be traveling. I picked my most likely dates for the visa. I did not have any issues.

There are a number of arrivals at SGN at your time of arrival. It will be a little busy.

N757KW

JL752JL8

Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:34 pm

I think they removed having to go through security again for flights arriving from the US at NRT, and no immigration procedures needed either. You can go straight to the lounge, but it is busy during that connection time.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:01 am

Okay, thank you for that information. It's a bit comforting to know that it should be easier transiting there than here in the US. I really appreciate the help! Last and final concern is the earning of my AA Loyalty Points, and just wanting to make sure I'll still get them even though I booked the ticket directly through JAL.

Thank you all again!

PI4EVER

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:00 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
Okay, thank you for that information. It's a bit comforting to know that it should be easier transiting there than here in the US. I really appreciate the help! Lasand final concern is the earning of my AA Loyalty Points, and just wanting to make sure I'll still get them even though I booked the ticket directly through JAL.

Thank you all again!

Call AAdvantage Customer Service at (800) 882-8880 and verify if the JL flights will accrue miles into your account. The question or issue is if the flights to NRT and SGN are codeshare flights - they share or have an AA flight # - or as a OneWorld partner. Otherwise you may only accrue into a JL account.

Advise the AA agent you booked direct with JL and purchased the ticket direct thru them. AA will have no access to your booking so will need specific info from you on the booking to factually answer your question.

The service on JL is very good, but a heads up I and others have experienced. JL has a tendency to keep their cabin temps a bit high on the ground and in the air so keep that in mind since you have really long flight segments. Good luck and safe travels.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:34 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:
Okay, thank you for that information. It's a bit comforting to know that it should be easier transiting there than here in the US. I really appreciate the help! Lasand final concern is the earning of my AA Loyalty Points, and just wanting to make sure I'll still get them even though I booked the ticket directly through JAL.

Thank you all again!

Call AAdvantage Customer Service at (800) 882-8880 and verify if the JL flights will accrue miles into your account. The question or issue is if the flights to NRT and SGN are codeshare flights - they share or have an AA flight # - or as a OneWorld partner. Otherwise you may only accrue into a JL account.

Advise the AA agent you booked direct with JL and purchased the ticket direct thru them. AA will have no access to your booking so will need specific info from you on the booking to factually answer your question.

The service on JL is very good, but a heads up I and others have experienced. JL has a tendency to keep their cabin temps a bit high on the ground and in the air so keep that in mind since you have really long flight segments. Good luck and safe travels.

Thank you for the response. I went ahead and called AA as you recommended, and the agent said I indeed would since AA is a OneWorld partner of theirs, as long as I put my AAdvantage number into the reservation. After the call I did a dummy booking and found the same itinerary through AA’s website, and saw they had AA numbers on them operated by Japan Airlines, so I think I should be good. In hindsight, I probably should’ve just booked directly through AA lol.

Regarding the higher cabin temps, thank you for the heads up. Never been on a 14hr flight before so it will be an interesting experience, trying to balance rest and fighting the jet lag. I am very much looking forward to experiencing their hospitality firsthand since I’ve heard nothing but great things about them!

jeffh747
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 pm

Hello everyone,
I do have one last brief but simple question. I already have the single entry e-Visa to enter Vietnam and it was extremely easy to apply for and receive as everyone mentioned above.

My last question is if the single entry Visa is sufficient documentation with my passport for domestic flights within the country. I've planned to do a few mini trips in Vietnam, and air travel is by far the quickest way to move around. I'm only unsure if for whatever reason I'd need a different Visa every time I take a domestic flight there with my US citizenship.

I've struggled to find any official information online. The Vietnam Airlines website is a bit unclear, even mentioning a looseleaf Visa for foreign nationalities and confusing me even more. Any guidance would again be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!