Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Yflyer
Topic Author

Connecting through spokes

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:13 pm

I'm just curious how many people have connected through non-hub airports, and what your experiences were. And just to be clear, by "non-hub" I just mean an airport that's not a hub for the airline you flew on (or if you connected between two airlines, not a hub for either airline). For example, if you connected through ORD on Delta that would count.

This summer I'm booked on SMF-AUS-LHR on AA/BA. So I get to try AA's upcoming SMF-AUS nonstop, and check out an airport I've never been to before, and it seems like it will be an easier connecting experience than DFW.

In 2018 I flew LIH-KOA-SFO on HA/UA. That wasn't exactly the best experience because at the time at least there was no secure walkway between the two parts of the terminal, so I had to exit the secure area, walk along the sidewalk in front of the terminal to the other side, and re-clear security to get to my United flight. But it was still fun to experience the open air terminal at KOA.

Back in 2010 I flew ANC-SEA-SFO on CO/UA. I don't really remember much about that experience; the first leg was a redeye so I was functioning on just a few hours of sleep.

PatrickZ80

Re: Connecting through spokes

Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 am

Never where it was a spoke for both airlines, but I have self-connected at airports that were a hub for one airline and a spoke for the other.

For example when I went to Los Angeles I flew Eindhoven - Copenhagen - Los Angeles. Eindhoven - Copenhagen was on Transavia, for which Eindhoven is a base but Copenhagen is a spoke. Copenhagen - Los Angeles was on Norwegian which had a base in Copenhagen so that doesn't really count. On the way back I flew Los Angeles - Barcelona - Eindhoven. Los Angeles - Barcelona on Norwegian and Barcelona - Eindhoven on Transavia. Again Barcelona was a base for Norwegian so the first leg doesn't count, but it's a spoke for Transavia so that does count.

Wednesdayite

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:49 pm

Not yet done it, but living near a UA hub (DEN) I get these options presented a lot. Especially for 2 stop itineraries.

Currently looking at a trip to BTV in May, and options include:

DEN-RAP-ORD-BTV
DEN-MSN-ORD-BTV
DEN-BNA-EWR-BTV

Where RAP, MSN, and BNA are not UA hubs.

If I was flying for personal reasons I’d do it for the experience, but this is a work trip so have to do the cheapest option. Two stops itineraries are rarely the cheapest for me.

zrs70

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:31 pm

I used to do this all the time to get my segments. I would fly ORD-DSM-DEN-LAS-LAX on UA, or ATL-CHT-CVG on DL.

davidjohnson6

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:07 pm

Do self-connects count ? What about taking public transport between 2 airports to build a spoke-spoke connection ?
Amman to Sharm el Sheikh with FlyJordan and then Sharm to London Luton with Wizzair UK
Niš to Malmö with Wizzair, bus over the border and Easyjet Copenhagen to London-Gatwick

I can think of far more "connections" I've done, but as long as there has been plenty of time between flights, it's generally been enjoyable

stlgph

Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:31 pm

If i'm not checking a bag sure, I'll do it and have done it before.
In the coming weeks - flying CLT-DFW on AA and connecting through GSP ......because, why not? Plus it saves me $300.

Kheb

Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:56 am

I had a fun itinerary: SFO-AUS-EWR operated by UA. Smooth experience.

Sometimes - as was the case for me - you get lucky and your connection is operated by the same plane on the same gate, though you still have to deplane and re-board. This won't happen for this itinerary, obviously.

teachpdx

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:32 am

I get these itineraries quite often when booking award travel on AS. Like instead of getting the direct flight PDX-Los Angeles it’ll want to route me one stop via MFR or RNO or GEG or BOI. They’re usually in the lower mileage tier and I don’t mind a detour so they work out fine when they happen.

As far as self connections at spokes, dozens and dozens of times.

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:46 pm

I've done
IAH-OKC-DEN UA
DEN-ELP-DAL UA/WN
DAL-SAT-IAH WN/UA
GRR-CLE-DFW-IAH all on CO
IAH-LAX-OGG on CO
IAH-MEM-EWR-NRT on UA