Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAUA
Topic Author

Will DL/AA/VS return to HKG?

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:02 pm

With all restrictions lifted will they return to Hong Kong?

I know Hong Kong looks different now

JohanTally

Re: Will DL/AA/VS return to HKG?

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:12 pm

AA is looking at launching SIN because they see HKG in decline.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... oyee-leak/

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:34 pm

UAUA wrote:
With all restrictions lifted will they return to Hong Kong?

I know Hong Kong looks different now

DL dropped SEA-HKG when things were good, both with HKG strong and fuel prices not too bad, about $1.85/gallon. I wouldn't expect a return in this environment.

SCFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:45 pm

Unlikely from VS when they now got ICN and TPE for connections from their SkyTeam partners, plus VS using their own aircraft into ICN and (since the 'defacto' VA separation when both took on different owners post-covid) VS can also return via Codeshare to Australia through the SkyTeam hubs.

JohanTally

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm

Hong Kong isn't the flourishing independent market it once was.

DFWGlobeTrotter

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:19 pm

If any of these airlines were to return to HKG, it would be AA. DFW-HKG was a very strong performer pre-pandemic.

That being said, such a return is quite doubtful. The post-pandemic reality, combined with the political situation in Hong Kong and China, combined with limited aircraft that are better-suited for other longer-haul routes (i.e., Europe, possibly SIN, etc).

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:41 pm

I'd love to see all of those airlines return to HKG. AA has the edge with connection feed, but I think AAs next foray on DFW-HKG will be in the form of a codeshare on a CX A350.

Singapore is interesting. LAX and SEA would be a lot of stuff competition. DFW is too far, so that leaves JFK, ORD, and PHX (from a geographic standpoint) is likely candidates. That's right. You heard it. PHX-SIN on AA let's do it!

But it's sad to see HKG lose relevance as Red China tightens their grip on it especially post COVID. I'm happy to visit when I did right before the world shut down, it was an amazing and vibrant city, but I'd still love to visit again.

IPFreely

Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:53 am

AA almost certainly will return sooner rather than later. Enough premium flyers to justify it who won't stick with AA connections vs UA nonstop as air travel slowly returns to pre-COVID levels.

DL will likely never return. Their Pacific operation is in shambles. They are more likely to exit completely than rebuild.

acavpics

Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:38 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I'd love to see all of those airlines return to HKG. AA has the edge with connection feed, but I think AAs next foray on DFW-HKG will be in the form of a codeshare on a CX A350.

Uhm... CX never flew to DFW though.

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:51 pm

acavpics wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Uhm... CX never flew to DFW though.

Didn't say they did. I said if AA is gonna return to that route, CX will be operating it only with an AA codeshare.

acavpics

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:08 am

JohanTally wrote:

But then, carriers like UA do plan on resuming service to the mainland, such as PVG and PEK. If that is the case, I don't see why they can't do HKG.

JohanTally

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:07 am

acavpics wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

But then, carriers like UA do plan on resuming service to the mainland, such as PVG and PEK. If that is the case, I don't see why they can't do HKG.

Hong Kong's population has declined 3 years in a row largely due to losing it's autonomy from the Mainland. They are even offering half a million plane tickets to lure people in. Hopefully it will recover but Hong Kong was in decline even before the pandemic with airlines even suspending service during the unrest. I also shared an article AA network thread where they are looking at SIN because it's economy is growing unlike HK.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/economy/2 ... city-crown

max999

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:30 am

JohanTally wrote:
acavpics wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

Hong Kong's population has declined 3 years in a row largely due to losing it's autonomy from the Mainland. They are even offering half a million plane tickets to lure people in. Hopefully it will recover but Hong Kong was in decline even before the pandemic with airlines even suspending service during the unrest. I also shared an article AA network thread where they are looking at SIN because it's economy is growing unlike HK.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/economy/2 ... city-crown

Premium traffic to China and HK are way down. It will be unprofitable for AA, DL, and VS if the pointy end of the plane isn't full. I would not be surprised if the existing China flights are all loss making.