Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planenutz
Topic Author

YVR Transborder arrivals at domestic terminal

Sat May 13, 2023 4:24 am

Hello all.
I’ve flown probably 30 to 35 times between the USA and Vancouver, and always arrived at the “E” gates in the trans order section of the international terminal.
However, on 5/10, Flair 1849, from SFO parked at the domestic terminal gate 18 (Westjet area).

All of us passengers then exited the plane and began an epic journey all the way to the international arrivals area and immigrations/customs.
The route began up an escalator at the gate, then following sets of corridors that ran along the top of the domestic terminal to the international terminal.
The views from this vantage point are great. You can see all of the planes parked at the “C” and international “D” gates, including close ups of heavier parked D51, D52, and D53 (from above no less).

This was all new to me.

My questions:
When did this new capability start?
Are international departures now allowed from the domestic terminal as well?
This was sleight of hand construction as you can’t see the walkways to the international because they run along the top of the building. How much did this cost?
Lastly, do all domestic gates now connect to international arrivals or just a few?

Thank a!

Aresxerexade

Re: YVR Transborder arrivals at domestic terminal

Sat May 13, 2023 5:20 am

This started ever since YVR created a quick connect second customs area and allowed for swing gates in the WS B gates area. No intl departures are not allowed only international arrivals. They only use these when the international gates are tied up or when an airline like Westjet for example will need the aircraft for a domestic operation immediately after operating an emergency international flight to avoid towing the aircraft. Makes for an efficient airport operation.

nname

Sat May 13, 2023 5:22 am

I'm not sure about B18... but I know the following domestic gates can receive international arrivals:
B14, B15, B16, B17
C48, C49

Of those, B14 and C49 can receive widebody. WS used to use B14 for most international to domestic turns for their 787 arrivals from LGW and PVR.
Last edited by nname on Sat May 13, 2023 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiteguy

Sat May 13, 2023 5:22 am

Those gates have used for a year or two now, maybe longer….used for inbound aircraft for customs that them operate a domestic flight. This saves time and congestion from towing aircraft back and forth. Only a few gates connect to customs, not all of them.

B747forever

Sat May 13, 2023 6:23 am

Same experience with Flair flying LAX-YVR earlier this week. Docked at gate B16, and thought first we would be bussed to International arrivals. Instead we had quite a long walk which felt like crossing the whole airport distance wise.

The week before I flew the same route with AA and arrived at the usual E gates.

Both this week and the week before I connected to the LH flight to FRA. Nothing like still being able to fly on the 747-400 and totally worth flying up from LAX before catching a Lufthansa flight. What helps is how convenient the connection is at YVR, there isn’t even another security check point, just show your onward ticket and you are let into the D gates departure area, even if you are not checked in on the onward flight.

casperCA

Sat May 13, 2023 6:57 am

I think this was part of the building expansion/renovation from 2015. Not certain when the airlines started to use it. Good to see it being more frequently.

It has been there for a long time.

od-bwh

Sat May 13, 2023 10:40 am

This forum still doesn’t allow pasting pics. Smh.

In Apple Maps, zoom in to gates D and E, select Level 4, and you’ll see the passage that connects all gates to the arrivals passport control

Aliqiout

Sat May 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Aresxerexade wrote:
This started ever since YVR created a quick connect second customs area and allowed for swing gates in the WS B gates area. No intl departures are not allowed only international arrivals. They only use these when the international gates are tied up or when an airline like Westjet for example will need the aircraft for a domestic operation immediately after operating an emergency international flight to avoid towing the aircraft. Makes for an efficient airport operation.

If they can handle a domestic flight, why not International? Last time I flew International from Canada, Canada didn't have any kind of exit checks.

Aresxerexade

Sat May 13, 2023 6:16 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
Aresxerexade wrote:

If they can handle a domestic flight, why not International? Last time I flew International from Canada, Canada didn't have any kind of exit checks.

YVR has segregated domestic and international sterile passenger areas. Every airport in Canada is a little bit different. The domestic terminal piers have been designed for domestic flow. Not all the gates have a pedway system that would take you to canadian customs. Plus the international terminal wing have the bigger aircraft capacity bridges and better passenger amenities for international flights, such as international duty free boutiques and high end luxury duty free shops. The airport flow is wonderful in YVR.

Aliqiout

Sat May 13, 2023 6:32 pm

Aresxerexade wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
Aresxerexade wrote:

YVR has segregated domestic and international sterile passenger areas. Every airport in Canada is a little bit different. The domestic terminal piers have been designed for domestic flow. Not all the gates have a pedway system that would take you to canadian customs. Plus the international terminal wing have the bigger aircraft capacity bridges and better passenger amenities for international flights, such as international duty free boutiques and high end luxury duty free shops. The airport flow is wonderful in YVR.

I think you misunderstood. This gate does have have a "pedway system" to Canadian "customs" (I think you mean immigration) , that was the point if the post. But more importantly there is no need for customs or immigration at a departure gate. As in most English speaking developed countries there are no physical exit controls so as in the US there is no need to differentiate international departures form international departures.

As far as capacity, and duty free that's just silly. We know that gate already handles international arrivals and duty free isn't a requirement and it's not uncommon to have duty free in the immediate vicinity of domestic flights.

Yes YVR has an international transit area (all.major airports should), but there is no requirement for airlines to use it for departures, and for an airline with no international to international transfers in YVR its completely useless. Also we already know this gate has a connection...

It acrually isnt that unusual for an international flight to leave from a domestic gate at YVR. I have been on an AA flight that did this.

Aresxerexade

Sat May 13, 2023 7:15 pm

Nope , no misunderstanding at all :) In Canada we generally do refer to it as Canada Customs and Immigration or just “Customs” for short , fun fact :)

When I say sterile passenger area, Im defining the post security areas of the terminal. Thats what I meant about sterile , not talking about transfer areas.

Yes that specific gate does have a pedway system to get one to customs. Again its meant for international arrivals and a subsequent domestic departure of that same aircraft, to avoid towing the aircraft from the international pier to the domestic pier. Thus reducing carbon output.

YVR was designed with segregated piers. the D gates are the official and only International departure gates. Why? Who knows why, it works beautifully though, not congested, more pleasant atmosphere vs having a mixed pot of domestic and international passengers in one area .

No, I think you are mistaken , there are no international flights leaving domestic A/B gates. On occasion they partition the midway C51-52 gates for international overflow , but they slide glass walls to segregate this section if say they use those gates for a mexico departure but thats it. The domestic gates are highly utilized for domestic flights that there is no room to strain the domestic area and add international flights from there.