Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

billreid
Topic Author

Pax gifts for Flight Attendants

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 pm

Will be flying on UA as a REV Pax in December. Came up with an interesting question. We booked 7 tickets AMS-ORD in Premium Economy I am considering providing a Holiday Gift bag for the Crew. But what is allowed, can I buy 10 $25 gift cards and pass that to the Lead FA as a holiday gift? Or does it violate company policies?
What are the rules on AA, DL, UA, BA, AF, KL, LH and more?

flipdewaf

Re: Pax gifts for Flight Attendants

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:14 pm

That’s $250 spent for people who have well paid stable jobs already. At holiday time spend that money on people who genuinely need it. Buy some gifts for kids who’s parent can’t afford it or invite someone lonely to have Christmas dinner with you.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatibosgru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 pm

I think the crew might appreciate a more personal treat. I've seen plenty of videos of avgeeks bringing chocolates or cookies for the crew, and with a smaller but more bountiful gift everyone can get some.

fastmover

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 pm

billreid wrote:
Will be flying on UA as a REV Pax in December. Came up with an interesting question. We booked 7 tickets AMS-ORD in Premium Economy I am considering providing a Holiday Gift bag for the Crew. But what is allowed, can I buy 10 $25 gift cards and pass that to the Lead FA as a holiday gift? Or does it violate company policies?
What are the rules on AA, DL, UA, BA, AF, KL, LH and more?

We have had people do that especially around the holidays. It’s obviously not required but is certainly a nice gesture especially if you are working that holiday. Not expected and pretty rare, but nice.

I don’t think you need to do 25 dollar gift cards but like a bag of individual wrapped chocolate for the crew goes over great.
Last edited by fastmover on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatibosgru

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
That’s $250 spent for people who have well paid stable jobs already. At holiday time spend that money on people who genuinely need it. Buy some gifts for kids who’s parent can’t afford it or invite someone lonely to have Christmas dinner with you.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By that logic no one should give gifts to almost anyone? If he appreciates their service and would like to reward them I don't see an issue. We just passed International Flight Attendant day after all.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 pm

I usually do a box of chocolates or something. Nothing too big, something to share/pass around.

LH658

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:33 pm

To be honest maybe providing that to the lounge staff if you have lounge access or certain individuals who are helping you through out your journey from the airport, the flight, uber/taxi, and hotel - these people deserve it more as they're most likely low wage earners. Versus giving it our to staff that didn't all cater you on the flight, plus they have well paid stable union jobs most likely. I've seen pax hand out sweets like chocolate to the flight crew.

To answer your question this doesn't violate the airlines at all.

joeycapps

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 pm

I've done something similar once (long story, but the crew had been through hell and back with delays, etc) so I picked up a gift card for them at the Starbucks near the gate.

I remember reading somewhere on here that SOME flight attendant (and pilot?) unions actually don't allow crewmembers to accept gifts? Not saying that's gospel, but kind of curious if anyone can shed some light on that?

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:45 pm

I've been told they generally appreciate everything from gift cards to treats ... but frown upon homemade gifts, especially food.

ScorpioMC3

Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:33 pm

As a former FA, you could've brought me a stick of gum and you would've been drinking for free (in economy). Anything is appreciated honestly. I worked a flight over Christmas and a passenger in first brought us each scarves she had knitted. I almost cried lol

floridaflyboy

Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:35 pm

When I was flying we always appreciated it when passengers brought treats, but it certainly wasn’t expected. We generally avoided home-baked items just because of the variety of destinations we flew to and not knowing what kitchen things were prepared in. Nothing personal, but didn’t want to risk it. The gesture is certainly appreciated by crew on a long work day.

My favorite was a delay from a small town in the upper Midwest where the only restaurant in the airport was closed and we had a passenger who felt so bad for us that she sent her husband home to make us sandwiches while we waited for the plane to come in during a snow storm. So sweet. You meet some wonderful people in this biz.

smi0006

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:17 am

As an Aussie (we don’t tip here unless service is outstanding) I find this an odd practice - do the rampies, baggage handlers, gate staff also not work hard looking after you and your possessions? Id find it weird and uncomfortable if people gave me gifts for doing my job… before I’ve even served them? Like an awkward bribe for free drinks?

I used to be crew - but the exclusive glorification of crew as weird that the marketing teams have latched on to. But I believe yesterday was world flight attendant day? What about the rest of the industry that does shift work, long hours, responds to medicals in the terminal? I’d rather see an ambulance officer, or fire fighter day. Lots of hard working long houses sacrificing individuals in this industry.

I agree keep it for your holiday, or donate it to a charity for children in Yemen, Somalia or elsewhere in the world.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:05 pm

joeycapps wrote:
I've done something similar once (long story, but the crew had been through hell and back with delays, etc) so I picked up a gift card for them at the Starbucks near the gate.

I remember reading somewhere on here that SOME flight attendant (and pilot?) unions actually don't allow crewmembers to accept gifts? Not saying that's gospel, but kind of curious if anyone can shed some light on that?

I don't know about unions, but I have heard that some airlines forbid their crew to accept food gifts or at least heavily restrict it. Something to do with the possibility of poisoning, you don't want to know what will happen if a passenger hands out poisoned treats to the crew and they all eat it. Even worse, you don't want to know what will happen if the pilots eat it too. Unfortunately there are some crazy people on this planet.

Other than that I agree with others, flight crews are well-paid people who don't really need gifts. Better spend the money on people who need it. I take it that the OP is American, keep in mind that Europe does not have the tipping culture that America has. Wages are higher so tips aren't needed. They're appreciated, but usually you only tip if the service is outstanding. Otherwise you don't. And even then, the tips in Europe are lower than they are in the US.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:18 pm

Why not just give out clean crisp bank notes ? :-)

N1120A

Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:06 am

For about a decade, I flew on every Christmas Eve or Day, usually transborder. Several times, I would pick up one of those big boxes of Kit Kats or some other prepackaged, individually wrapped chocolate at duty free and give those to the crew. They always loved it. I'd usually have enough to also give to some of the ground staff.

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Some FAs are banned from taking cash tips in their contract. Also, it's kinda icky.

davidjohnson6

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:08 am

N1120A wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Some FAs are banned from taking cash tips in their contract. Also, it's kinda icky.

It's only banned if somebody sees you take the cash and reports it ! I've never had a problem spending cash in the shops - whether I use cash or a credit card, neither feels icky too me when I'm buying stuff...
(thinks all this fuss that people make about bribery is completely overdone) :-D

davescj

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:08 am

Personally, If I have to fly on (or even near) a holiday, I'll get something sealed at the airport (cookies, candy, etc), that can be easily shared. I know many hesitate at homemade gifts (one bad apple and all that). I've seen crew accept cash - to be fare, with at least 2 refusals and gracious acceptance when pressed. But at any time, if I've had esp good service, I always write to the airline and say who and what was the good service.

Flanker7

Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:34 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
N1120A wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

It's only banned if somebody sees you take the cash and reports it ! I've never had a problem spending cash in the shops - whether I use cash or a credit card, neither feels icky too me when I'm buying stuff...
(thinks all this fuss that people make about bribery is completely overdone) :-D

Not entirely true, there are airlines that forbid you accepting cash tips. My wife works for an airline that does not want you to accept.

oschkosch

Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:12 pm

I really wish US companies would pay their employees more and tipping would then dissappear.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G781B mit Tapatalk

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:55 pm

Airline crews are paid well, better than many overseas crews. There’s no need to tip them. Tipping in the US is out of control and Apple-based POS devices have created tipping for all sorts of new positions, even well-paid ones. Bakeries now expect tips.

jetwet1

Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:50 am

My wife Carrie's a bunch of Starbucks gift cards when she travels, if she sees or experiences something she feels is above and beyond, she will give out one of the cards.

DocLightning

Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Chocolates are never the wrong answer. A sealed, wrapped box (or bag) of them. AFAIK, no religion or cultural tradition bans chocolate, so chocolate is inoffensive and always appreciated.

HOWEVER, do be careful about what chocolate you get on certain flights. For example, if you are flying on ElAl or a ME carrier, some chocolates contain gelatin which is neither kosher nor halal. Ghiradelli uses gelatin in many of its products. Any *FOOD* (obviously not wine) that is certified kosher is also halal (the kashrut [rules of kosher] are much stricter than the rules for halal, but include all rules of halal). Godiva has a lot of kosher chocolates.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:28 pm

I travelled this past Christmas and bought $80 worth of $5 Starbucks cards for the gate agents, crew, and TSA. TSA said they couldn't take it but it felt good giving these to the agents and crew. I've been a gate agent on Christmas and so has my mom so I know their plight.

LeftyWriter

Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm

We typically fly WN and usually buy a bag of assorted chocolate minis for the FAs. It seems like this gesture is appreciated, and I do it because I truly appreciate all the hard work both inflight and flight ops put in getting us "self-loading cargo" to and from where we need to be. Now whether or not the chocolate gets shared with the ones in the pointy end, I don't know.

a320fan

Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:30 am

As an Aussie this American obsession with tipping and giving gifts to service workers is super weird. If someone tried to give me a gift for just doing my job I would find it very unusual and uncomfortable.

hrc773

Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:48 pm

A fun and inexpensive treat is to bring scratch-off lottery tickets. I'm not sure if this works outside of the US, though. You can bring one or more to each FA and then ask them to play during the flight when service winds down. We've done this when traveling on vacation and to see their excitement only added to the holiday fun. Once one of them won like $10 and it was so much fun for them and for us.

A few thoughts:
-This is not charity; some people feel like being nice to someone who gives good service.
-This is not limited to crewmembers; we think about them more because you're with them for longer periods of time, among other airline workers.
-This doesn't preclude you from donating to needy people.
-Doing something nice for someone else is NEVER a bad idea or a bad thing.

727tiger

Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm

When my wife and I are traveling for leisure, we bring along a stack of $10 Starbucks cards and provide them to all cabin crew on our flights to thank them for working so we can go enjoy ourselves.

txjim

Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:18 pm

I heard second-hand (sourced from my cousin's daughter, FA for AA) that gift of a few dollars to tip the crew shuttle driver is welcomed and, if offered on boarding, can result in a few extra perks.