Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blink182
Topic Author

What Improvements Could Your Airport Use Most?

Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:11 am

Every airport has its own faults, and those include the major airports too. Excluding airlines,frequencies, aircraft, and destinations, what facility upgrades can your airport use most?

With a new terminal opening up, I'd like to see the current four terminals at my airport recieve a freshening up as not a whole lot, other than shops and lounges, has been done to the existing terminals over thirty years. I'd like to see flat screen tv's, maybe(if possible) a reflooring, new waiting area seats, some quick restaurants/coffee stands before security, maybe somehow redo the ceilings and give a more modern feel to the terminals. I'd also like to see the main user of the airport, American, organize their terminals by flights. It's annoying flying out of 1 terminal and then arriving at another from the same destination and as a result, forces you to take a long walk/bus ride to find your car.

What could your airport use most?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Leskova

RE: What Improvements Could Your Airport Use Most?

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:18 am

Frankfurt: while finishing the work in Terminal 1 would be nice - I cannot recall when I last walked through T1 without coming across construction work - I think that the additional runway is the most needed improvement here.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

nzblue

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:49 am

LAX... everything is in need of improvement!

-NZblue

[Edited 2004-06-19 21:59:05]
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

ScottishLaddie

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:52 am

EDI- Facilities and space to handle multiple widebodies at the same time and at least one gate that can cope with 744 size aircraft!
A runway extension, an extra 400 metres or so is possible.

EGHHwizard

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:59 am

EGHH - A new Arrivals Hall!!!

Currently you walk through a sort of shed and then... oh you're in the car park! On the other hand some may say that this is convenient, a door to door service between the aircraft and your car! I think a new one wouldn't go a miss though!
NO URLS in signature

L410Turbolet

Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:50 am

PRG: New terminal for intra-EU flights. Yesterday was already late.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:55 am

PLH:- Plymouth.

The best, and kindest thing to do with the current Plymouth airport would be to close it and build the nice new airport they have been talking about for the past few years that could handle a 767.

Currently it is served by Air Wales and Air Southwest, but due to large residential areas surrounding it on all sides expansion is very limited.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Darren Smith

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

dl757md

Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:23 am

ATL
1. I'd like to see moving walkways and clear ceilings in the concourses.
2. More parking garages so you don't have to park in Hapeville.
3. East side terminal. Already in progress.
4. 6th runway. Proposed. For RJs and other commuters only.
5. If no 6th runway, then second airport north of Atlanta with highspeed
direct rail link to Hartsfield.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

airbus3801

Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:42 am

Sky Harbor

1. A Terminal 1
2. A better designed way for the VERY FEW international flights to get out and go through customs
3. NEW CARPET

JBLUA320

Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:43 am

Newark Liberty International Airport

Terminal C is pretty good- no complaints.

Terminals A and B.... name it. It could all do with some MAJOR improving. It's actually funny walking through the Delta gates because you have 70s stlye EVERYTHING (painted red and black) with randomly placed LCD flatscreens... But no matter where you go in Terminals A and B, it's a throwback to times long gone... and "long gone" is an understatement.

JBLU

Jerry1011

Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:53 pm

The improvement that my local airport could use the most is an actual air service!

I live in Sheffield, UK. This is England's fourth largest city. It had a newly-built airport completed approx five or six years ago, which upon opening had scheduled service to Amsterdam several times a day with KLM. These flights sold well and loads were apparently good - lots of connecting pax in Amsterdam. However, after a year or so, they were stopped because (according to KLM) some environmental issues prevented them from using those particular slots at AMS. BA tried to initiate a SZD (Sheffield) to LCY service, but this ultimately failed. An Irish carrier also ran a successful service to the Republic for a while before stopping that. We now have an airport with no scheduled service what so ever. Fab!

GLAGAZ

Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:11 pm

At GLA I would like to see the following:

1) Runway 5/23 extended
2) Better baggage handling facilities when arriving at GLA
3) Replace the oldest pier with a modern one capable of handling up to 6 737's
or so at a time.
4) Maintainence for BA extended

Longer term would include:

1) New runway parellel to the current one
2) New or extended international pier (hopefully with 1 A380 sized stand,  Big grin
i wish)
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

flyingKangaroo

Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:33 am

Delhi: Everything should be demolished, and rebuilt

1) More modern departure area, more duty free shops, customs/immigration area extended, and ALL desks be staffed during peak hours.

2) More seating in pre departure area at gate (enough seats for a 747 load of pax)

3) Perhaps some more (at least 1) premium class lounges. I've only been to the current Taj lounge (that all airlines use) when there were only 2 international flights leaving, and even then it was pretty full. Between 11pm-3am when all the flights leave, there must be afew people who can't get seats.

4) Upgrade the jet bridges. They are quite old and rusted.

5) Get an air-conditioning system that is always on.

6) Upgrade the arrivals area, so that all desks are manned to get people through quickly, get more than one scanner that scans carry-on baggage before you can collect your other luggage (currently there is 1, that is a slow, painful process)

7) Somehow upgrade baggage handling on arrival, so your not standing round for over 30 minutes after just getting off a long flight.

There is alot to be done at Delhi.

flyingKangaroo
QANTAS-- The Spirit of Australia

ZKSUJ

Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:47 pm

AKL- could use imoprovement in most things. The departure tax system, the lack of parking space on the apron, the lack of viewing space of the aircraft, the immigration queues.... The foodcourt also needs more variety, it's pretty boring after you have eaten there more that 5 or 6 times. Big grin

JHSfan

Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:17 pm

CPH / EKCH certainly needs a platform on the top of one of the tallest buildings for viewing the planes Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Yours in realtime
JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

Speedbird747

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:21 pm

BRN - I'd like to see a mayor runway extension, so that the airport can handle at least B737 / A320 type planes. The largest airliner that currently can operate with reasonable loads out of BRN is the RJ85...  Sad

miaskies

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:27 pm

How about a whole new airport just for Iberia's a346, 742's and 319's...so they stop bitching so much! hahahaha don't get me wrong I love Iberia...I fly them often but shoot...
Que Viva España!

Saludos...

Juan Ca.

Crosscheck Complete :)

Gman94

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:54 pm

LHR could do with a high speed rail link connecting it to LGW rather then having to take those horrible coaches to connect between the two airports.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

alphafloor

Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:34 pm

GVA/LSGG - I miss the old terrace so much. It was long and offered a close view of the aircrafts, good old days !! So, I'd like to see a new long terrace with the fantastic view the old one provided us. Today the terrace is a small place surrounded by a glass shield ( we can't hear the engine's sound well and smell the good kerosene ) and is too crowded and I never go in there, I rather like to spot with my son somewhere around the runway.

So definitively : A new terrace for GVA !

Alphafloor
Whatever

Tasha

Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:42 pm

My airport is the little regional GPT, which calls itself Gulfport International - and I have no clue why as I don't think it has any international flights. It is actually very nice, effecient, tidy - it could do with the retraining of all Continental ground staff as they seem to be overly incompetent in GPT.

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

C130HERCULES

Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:13 am

POS , the newly built one is very good but will like to see them maintain the airbridges and just add more restaurant/bar and food courts. Just KFC etc seems a bit boring. It may be a suggestion to even see them modernise the old airport on the opposite side of the runway rather than use it for just a handful of freighters. It can be a Terminal 2!!
Vacation - ''Time wasted between two flights''

chepos

Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:35 am

SJU- San Juan International Aiport needs more restaurants - we just have Mc Donalds, Subway and Im not sure if the proposed Dominos is already opened. We also need some type of chairs (for people to sit down) landslide, last time I was catching a flight out of San Juan there was no place for me an my family to sit down before I went through security )only inside the resaurants were there some chairs.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

kimmykun

Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:39 am

Well, seeing some jetways at BQN* wouldn't exactly hurt. Not that airstairs aren't perfectly groovy, mind you, but since the Ports Authority wants to turn the airport into an alternative to SJU, the stairs just seem a little outdated.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Jose A. Rafols
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Jose Mendez BQN Ramp Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jose A. Rafols
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jose Mendez

*BQN = Rafael Hernández/Borinquen Airport, Aguadilla, PR

Tasha

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:07 am

Hey Sweetie...

Even Gulfport International - the World's only international airport WITHOUT any international traffic - has jetways  Nuts You're right, it's time. Besides I hate climbing stairs. I have done it several time, and most of the time I get this feeling that some guy is looking right up my skirt  Big grin

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Espion007

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:48 am

IAD-Id love it if the concourses and the terminal was conected by a walkway-like maybe the one in ORD that connects United's concourse C to the rest of the airport.the mobile lounge thingy is cool but i hate waiting in them for them to go.Another thing that would be kinda nice is a train connection between dc and DC or the metro area.We could use public transportation to get there instead of paying $40 for parking the car there.

oh and the most important thing of all: ANOTHER STARBUCKS Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

A330Fan1

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:56 am

Every aspect at LAX could be a LOT better. To me, the airport seems extremely disorganized in all ways - in terms of check-in, baggage, etc. Even TBIT, which I thought was the nice terminal, has deteriorated - no longer are there huge spaces and stuff, but now luggage is cluttered EVERYWHERE, just complete cHaOs...

-A330Fan1

SUPRAZACHAIR

Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:07 am

SEA now has a beautiful A concourse, but next to it is the ugly POS B concourse. It is a dump.

rdu777

Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:13 pm

Well, everything at RDU has been redone or improved on except for the terminals. Terminal C is first in line, and after it's done Terminal A will be reconstructed. Other than that I think RDU is looking good.

yooyoo

Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:27 pm

YYZ

A freaking viewing area for spotters!!!!

New Terminal, and no freaking viewing area for us aviation nuts.

(Grumble Grumble)

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

bohica

Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:18 pm

IAD - The people mover system is being built. Someday the mobile lounges will be gone. Concourses C and D: I want the keys for the bulldozer! Concourse B needs moving sidewalks. All of IAD needs better food.

ORD - Tear down Terminal 2 and build a new terminal. That god forsaken dump is woefully inadequate to handle passengers or airplanes. Boarding areas are tiny, not enough restrooms, narrow walkways, no moving sidewalks, and lousy food just to name a few things wrong with that terminal.

LGA and BOS - Just tear them down and start over from scratch.

DEN - A rail link to downtown would be nice.

LAX - Tear down all the terminals and just build one terminal like ATL or DEN.

SFO - Space the runways further apart to allow simultaneous approaches in bad weather.

CanadianNorth

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:20 pm

Expanded gate area. - Waiting area was built when the airport had no more than 2 flts at a time, a 737 and a small thing. Not fun with 2 737 loads every morning.

An extra jetway, or 2. - Air North 732, ZIP 732, and a Condor 763ER all ariving at once, its handi to have more than one jetway.

Bigger customs area. - When Condor comes in it blockes half the baggage claim area, goes down the hall and onto the jetway thus meaning nobody esle can do a flt till they get all the people through

Bigger baggage claim area. - 2 small go round thingers, one of which is blocked off when customs people are doing Condor. A 767 and a 737 kinda "overfills" the other one.

Bigger main front area thinger. - You cant friggen move in there on Condor day!

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

freshlove1

Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:24 am

We need a new airport director really bad. John Rinehart has killed our airport and he needs to go asap. He has constantly lied to all of us about projects that are going to happen to improve the place. We have been hearing about this for 5 plus years now and we have nothing to show for it. Maybe if he would actually do something instead of playing card games on his laptop we would be in better shape then we are.

vatveng

Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:17 pm

ORF needs a parking lot shuttle for the long-term lot. In order to get a ride to the terminal you have to park off-site at the "Park & Fly" lot 3 miles away. And some renovations in its A concourse would be good.

PHF needs something besides just a Burger King. And it's outside of security, so if you get to the gate and then get hungry you have to deal with TSA all over again. Granted, PHF has only 4 gates, but all they have in the gate area are vending machines, and the choices are pathetic. A coffee & donuts cart would do well inside the gate area.

keno

Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:35 pm

My home airport, Kuala Lumpur International... ermm... more longhaul foreign airlines to catch up with Changi and Bangkok  Big thumbs up

JetMechMD80

Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:15 pm

LAS
They need to put some table games in with the slots. Blackjack, Craps....etc

It would make the wait for the next flight much more enjoyable.
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

oly720man

Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:19 pm

MAN, the bottleneck at the end of T1 for planes going to/from T2. Causes lots of waiting.

Andy
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

DeltaRules

Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:27 am

CMH:
Concourse A: Another resturant inside security.

Concourse B: More airlines to fill the empty gates!

Concourse C: needs moving walkways...going to DL's end of C is one heck of a hike.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

ORDINDUAFLYER

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:14 am

ORD -- New/more runways!

PHX757

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:36 am

Phoenix (PHX) -

• More International Gates that can handle larger aircraft.

• More gates that can handle 757's so America West can pick some more up  Smile

• Demolish Terminal 2 and move more airlines to T4 and T3.

• -PHX757

caribb

Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:50 am

YUL - an enlarged and renovated domestic wing. More gates all around, A subway and or train link to downtown. A reconfiguaration of all the access roads into the airport. Elimination of the Aeroquay completely. An observation deck for spotting. A view of the tarmac from the main terminal, more shopping, more check in counter space, more room for greeters, more moving sidewalks inside the US transorder jetty, An onsite convention centre and hotel complex, a complete cargo centre.. the airport is moving in most of these directions and is way better than it used to be.. but still room for improvements and anything to encourage new airlines to come in.

airkas1

Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:33 am

At AMS, they have to stretch the observation deck all the way to the end of the B-Pier.

They've been working on it for months now I believe and it still isn't finished.

panam330

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:35 am

Here at Syracuse's Hancock International:

- International flights; I'd actually "trade-in" our Saturday-only non-stop to CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO for a Saturday CUN service. US could get the slots too- nobody else wants to fly from SYR to CUN  Big grin.
    - A damn restaurant inside security. Even a fast food one. We had over 1.2 million passengers go through SYR last year, and the only thing that was inside the security checkpoint was a damn newsstand with $2 bottles of Pepsi and yesterdays' newspaper. Also, it wouldn't hurt Starbucks to put a second store in the Syracuse area. Slap it inside the North Concourse, and it's as good as gold.
    - One security checkpoint that allows people to flow between the two concourses for better viewing  Big grin.
    - More air service. *Cough* Southwest *cough*. Especially to Vegas. Also, a direct link to IAH on CO/COex or DFW on AA/AE wouldn't kill them, would it? I'd love to see AA mainline back again.
    - Destroy that sickening glass canopy over the arrivals/departures road. Also, widen the A/D road and put some damn parking spaces on the side!
    - Oh, what the hell! A whole new damn terminal. The one we have is adequate, but it's squat and small, IMO. It has 27 gates, I believe. I'd like to see it replaced by something similar to the BUF terminal. One single open, glass complex with actual restaurants inside, and seats to sit in. With the current terminal, if you're waiting at the TMA gate for your flight (727/757), and it's full, and there is a full DL MD80 to ATL right next to it, it's an absolute mob scene. With two full mainliners on one concourse, almost every single available seat in the concourse is taken. It's ridiculous.

There's definitely more, but I don't feel like typing it.

Travelagent

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:47 pm

At my airport DUS we urgently need a runway extension to enable long haul flights without weight restrictions and a new politic that stops the blockade of our successful future. With an catchment area of approx. 17 million the market is definitely there!
    Born to fly! It's more than a passion - it's a yearning!! At home in DUS(Dusseldorf)!