Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jasepl
Topic Author

World's Worst Hub Airport?

Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:54 pm

I used to think LHR for the longest time. Well, BOM actually, but you can hardly call it a hub!

Then I discovered Dallas. I really don't think there can be a worse hub than DFW now I've had the pleasure. Its nothing short of a horror.

I'm sure others have their "favourites"! What are they?

cragley

RE: World's Worst Hub Airport?

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:24 pm

Bangkok Airport is a dump! No Air Con (at least it felt like it) and moulded plastic seats so you can;t stretch. Add to this the lack of room in the waiting area and you have people with so much sweat they are stuck to the chairs, and are touching the people around them. Its always nice when someone forgets deodorant and its 35c and 90% humidity.

Can;t wait for the new one to open.

su

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Sheremetyovo, Frankfurt and London Heathrow....
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

pilatusguy

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:29 pm

JFK, LHR, CDG, BKK - in that order

jasepl
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:30 pm

Craig... Ha ha! I think you just described 9 out of 10 airports in Asia!

fraT

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:52 pm

Su,

can you explain your vote. Especially FRa. I agree on LHR and don't know SVO.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:19 pm

LHR has to be the worst, because it is supposed to be a global hub

- Widely scattered terminals with poor airside connections (irregular buses or long confusing corridors)
- Antiquated terminals designed in the 60's and 70's, patched up now and then by an indifferent owner BAA but seriously inadequate for a global hub
- Poor and inefficient public transport links (no proper rail links to anywhere except Paddington, the most expensive train ride per mile in the world). The bus terminus is OUTSIDE - welcome to the UK, please get pneumonia and die while waiting for your randomly occuring poorly scheduled bus.
- The first new terminal in 20 years destined for one carrier's use only, with no (none, nada, zip) firm and budgeted plans to improve the other terminals, even after T5 is completed.
- Only 2 active runways - hellooo !!
- 5 x more retail space than airline customer service provision.
- Owned by a monopoly that controls 2 of the other major London airports, hence no incentive to improve.

Other aiports have problems too -
CDG T1 is a joke, T2 except for F is a bit poor.
JFK isn't really a hub any more, its a destination - the DL terminals still suck, but the others have all been upgraded or are in the process of being upgraded.
MXP is a disaster - mostly down to the SEA rather than the building itself - poorly organised, poorly manned despite a huge overpaid staff.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

odafz

Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:48 pm

FCO, CDG and LIN are "nightmarish" connecting airports.

to JGPH1A. There is an excellent metro connecting LHR with downtown London, did you try to connect by Train from FCO and CDG to downtown? It is an ordeal.
But best hub airport is definitely AMS in my humble opinion

flyboy7974

Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:12 pm

for the world, would have to be lhr and their rude/snotty ba staff. for the us, i would have to say mci/dfw, whoever created that trailer park design of a terminal, thank god it didnt catch on

cainanuk

Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:18 pm

Ooooooooh

This one's easy.

Philadelphia
Cainan Cornelius

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:28 pm

Re There is an excellent metro connecting LHR with downtown London

The Picadilly line is far from excellent - it takes nearly an hour, and its a cold rattley uncomfortable unreliable death trap - a few times I've taken it from Central London back out to Hatton X or LHR, only to have the train stop at some station (the one near Chiswick,starts with a K) and the driver announce "Owing to the fact that I can't be arsed, this train terminates here" or words to that effect.

CDG isn't so bad, especially from T2 - the station is in the concourse, and hooks up to the Paris metro at Gare du Nord I think. FCO isn't that bad either, except that it goes to Termini station, which isn't that central.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

rwylie77

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:15 pm

I'm sorry, but if you are an arriving passenger on an international flight and you need to connect to a domestic flight, then Chicago O'Hare has to be the winner. You only have a 50% chance of catching your connecting flight in my experience if you arrive with United for example, as you have to clear customs and then jump on a train to the other side of the airport. The customs area is a huge bottle neck if a few big planes arrive at once, which they all are, and you sometimes have to wait 30 minutes in line or more and then still have to wait for your luggage!!

gilesdavies

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:09 pm

JGPH1A - It is true the London Underground from Heathrow to Central London far from brilliant, nece why they have built the Heathrow Express and get you into Paddington Staion in 9mins.

The prices for this new services are absolutely scanderlous, but the underground does represent good value compared to the to other methods.

-----------------------

The worst HUB for me has to be LAX without a doubt!

I have flown into never numerous airports in the US and never experienced such appalling service. This isn't just a one off experience I have flown through their three times and each time has been a nightmare.

I have queued for 1.5hrs of two occassions to pass security both in seperate terminals.

The check-in staff in my opinion are some of the rudest people on the planet, especially the US Airways staff!

This comes in starch contrast to how friendly the US people are in general when I have been travelling. CLT staff are always so friendly and go out of their way to help.

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:25 pm

Re: It is true the London Underground from Heathrow to Central London far from brilliant, nece why they have built the Heathrow Express and get you into Paddington Staion in 9mins.

I did raise the LHR Express in my original rant, as the most expensive train ride per mile in the world. However, it ONLY goes to Paddington. Compare that with AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA or CDG, connected directly to their respective national high-speed rail networks, or SPL, where you can catch a train to just about anywhere in the country (and Belgium, Germany, France as well). Even BHX has better rail connections - now that IS sad.

neder99

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:53 pm

You guys and girls have obviously never changed planes at Sheremetyevo (Moscow).
International to Domestic is nothing short of a nightmare, International to International not much better, even worse if you're on one of the Africa or Indian Subcontinent flights... all the other points that have been raised about the inefficiencies and difficulties of other hub-airports can be beaten by SVO in a flash.

thaiaggie

Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:46 pm

I agreed with craig... but BKK's Don Meung is very old. Cant wait until the new Suvarnabhumi airport opens in september next year.
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

Gib

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:05 pm

Haven't been to SVO, so I respect what Neder99 has said... BKK does suck, but I'd have to vote EWR for the USA's worst. Terrible!

VFR & Tailwinds

Gib

Buyantukhaa

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:11 pm

I'd have to put IST there: because of the inaudible PA system I missed my connecting flight. That was in 1995 though, things might have improved since then.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

ssides

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:24 pm

For you DFW-haters out there, I don't see how you can say DFW is the worst. True, I'll admit that the airport wasn't designed to be a hub, and the TrAAin is a piece of crap. And, connecting between airlines really sucks.

Just wait until next year, when the SkyLink comes online and International Terminal D is built. Then give me your answers.

As far as my vote for worst hub, I'd have to say that MEM is near the top of my list. For a small airport, I can't believe how far I had to walk to catch my connecting flight.

JFK is also up there as well.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

transswede

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:37 pm

The worst I have seen is Houston... Bleh. No matter what connection you make, it always seems to be a 1 mile walking distance away.

AMS

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:52 pm

Defenetly Paris CDG terminal 1!!

jsnww81

Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:11 am

I found the train connection from CDG to the city to be very easy to use. Granted, the T1 station is a bus ride away (in the middle of the hotels) but the T2 station is right in the middle of the action.

JGPH1A is right - most RER trains go nonstop to Gare du Nord, then to Chatelet-Les Halles, where you can easily and quickly connecting to the Metro or to other RER services. I found it fantastically easy to use.

London, not so much. I'm a poor 23-year-old who spent all his money *getting* to London  Smile so the Heathrow Express was out of the question. The Picadilly line isn't bad (compared to the Chicago el anyhow) but it does stop about 15 times before you hit Kensington and central London.

For connections ORD isn't too bad. It's all about taking a flight that doesn't get in when the rest of them do (if possible). American's later LHR flight (departing London around 4pm) gets in well after the transatlantic rush has ended. Terminal 5 was almost deserted when we got there.

klyk1980

Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:57 am

BKK is bad, everyone knows...but BKK doesn't represent Asia. Most airports in Asia nowadays are considered the best. There are several examples...like HKG, SIN, KUL, PVG, TPE-2, AB) (MNL / RPLL), Philippines">MNL, DXB, ICH, KAX and the coming up, CAN.

But of course, there are several airports in Asia with bad layout as a hub. For example, BOM, DEL, NRT etc....but compare to many airports in the States or Europe, they are all acceptable as a hub.

In Europe, I think the worst goes to LHR, it is a real hub and way too huge...and in North America, the "winner" goes to ORD. ORD's international-domestic connection is really the worst.

Braniff1960

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:03 am

If you arrived and it was raining, its a TERRIBLE airport!

If you arrived and it was sunny and no delays, it was a GREAT airport.

nothing like the smell of jet exhaust!

smcmac32msn

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:08 am

Chicago O'Hare has to be the winner. You only have a 50% chance of catching your connecting flight in my experience if you arrive with United for example, as you have to clear customs and then jump on a train to the other side of the airport.

Never had to do that, but that does look like a pain in the ass to do all that and connect to your flight. The other major problem for O'Hare is the fact that from any of the terminals, you have to walk nearly a mile (feels like it) to the "Transportation Station" where you catch shuttles out infront of the Hilton. You also have to go up an elevator ontop of that to make it to the "TS". Chicago O'Hare sucks!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

NWADC9

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:12 am

Even though it's my airport, I have to say PIT. There's only 99 gates, and it's not really a place of attraction. Also, It's kind of hard to connect from E to A, B, C, D, and Core.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

geg2rap

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:14 am

I gotta give SLC it's dues....do you know how much beer is there????

ltbewr

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:23 am

From my experience, LHR and LAX. LAX, especially if going to/from an international flight (Bradley building) and a domestic flight, even if the same airline. Usually means running between terminals due to delays through customs or the flight and not a reliable system of trams (like EWR, DTW). With LHR, recall changing a/c and airline (EI from DUB to BA to JFK), seemed to go through many long passages ways, a bus and what seemed to be a maze of passageways that would have been against cruelity laws for rats to be put through. With EWR, the biggest problem is when there is stormy weather as only one full runway, otherwise, with the monorail easy to trasfer from terminal to terminal building if have to do so.

SouthwestMDW

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:27 am

Yeah...ORD is great if you are making domestic to domestic connections, domestic to international, but if you are making an international to domestic connection it sucks.

RCS763AV

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:39 am

NWADC9: Only 99 gates! Then ElDorado must be a piece of crap, 11 gates in the main domestic concourse, 5 gates in the Avianca domestic flights terminal, and 10 gates in the international concourse.

RCS763AV

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:42 am

MIA is a pain in the ass for us Latinos when making connections, it seems that all flights from Latin America arrive at the same time, so its like 45 min. In customs, then, wait for the luggage, and then get to the gate, thus a nice apparel of very rude staff, so you have to separate your connection time for like 3 hours, if, of course, your flight from LatAm isn´t delayed.

[Edited 2004-07-21 18:43:06]

[Edited 2004-07-21 18:43:59]

luisca

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:46 am

CDG is a complete nightmere, my mom actually flew to LHR and toock the chunnel instead of going to CDG, IT is HORRIBLE
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

gigneil

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:57 am

Yeah...ORD is great if you are making domestic to domestic connections, domestic to international, but if you are making an international to domestic connection it sucks.

ORD is NOT great if you arrive at one end of C and your connection is on the far end of B, which happens more often than it doesn't.

N

SafetyDude

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:58 am

JFK
I think Delta is pretty bad at JFK (except for T2 which just needs a bit of work), but the rest are fine, as long as AA upgrades its terminals.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

concord977

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:09 am

MIA

No info

boysteve

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:10 am

At least BKK is being replaced in 18 months time! LHR is here to stay.
LHR is a mess and an embarrassment to the UK. Connecting from Terminals 1/2/3 to Terminal 4 can take an age airside. Terminal 5 will similarly be remote, for those who have nominated LAX it doesn't have this problem. Terminal 3 (last time I was there) resembled a strange mix of a building site and a shopping centre with pax annoyingly getting in the way!
Travel to Central London is slow on the tube which is cold in winter and roasting in the summer or peak. Heathrow Express is very quick but very expensive and Paddington is no use to anyone, a further journey from there by taxi/tube is necessary. Personally I think LGW has better rail links into Central London to both the City and West End and don't understand the whole obsession with LHR.

neilalp

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:12 am

It is so nice to not see DTW on this list anymore!

bmacleod

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:26 am

YYZ had this distinction for a long time!!!! It might still in a few areas.

[Edited 2004-07-21 19:28:06]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

N766UA

Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:14 am

There's only 99 gates, and it's not really a place of attraction

LOL! God forbid a hub have less than 200 gates and be anywhere but paradise.

PIT is by far one of the best in the US- never delayed, seldom weather effected, no ground stops. ORD is the worst- You delay one flight and all the others fall like dominos. Weather plays hell on O'hare.

ckfred

Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:16 am

Even though ORD is my home airport, connecting at ORD on AA can be a good source of exercise. If you have to connect between the end of G and L, there is a lot of walking.

I've even heard crews gripe about arriving at the end of H, walking to Ops. at the end of K, and then walking to G.

UA's terminal isn't as bad as it looks. There are moving sidewalks between B and C, as well on on the concourses themselves.

jeckPDX

Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:40 am

ATL can be one big headache, especially when the train is out of service. Had to walk from T gates to E and that is a LOOOOONG walk! It is also very crowded and dated compared to many other US hub airports. That and thunderstroms during summer months can really mess up schedeuling. Last three times I was there I sat on the runway for an average of 2 hours.

JeckPDX
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

bustaphil

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:30 am

I think the worst hubairport is madrid! it's about time that the new terminal in madrid opens! the old aiprot respectively the old terminal buildings are just a joke! worst thing that can happen to a a traveller is to transit in mad for a few hours!

but what do you guys consider as one of the best hub airports?

definitely SIN & HKG

kind reagrds from austria
FLYING the best thing on earth!!!

Tolosy

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:45 am

IMO LHR is the worst.

AMS: CDG T1 is not a hub... have you ever connected there... if yes, I would pleased to know how??

N737Af

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:49 am

No DTW on this list?

I know for a FACT this topic was discussed a few years back and everyone was complaining about DTW.

My, my, what a little renovation can do.

N737AF
Continental 450, contact Departure and have a Good Evening.

AVPOH77

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:52 am

Would have to say ATL, especially when you are connecting there. Your originating flight to ATL (if its not subjected to a ATL GDP at its orgin) will most likey sit on the ramp for 15-25min waiting for a gate to open up or waiting to be marshalled in. By the time the aircraft is deplaned you already have 15min till your next conx. Then you look at your ticket jacket and you have to go from C35 all the way to T2. By the time you get there the "Friendly Gate Agent" tells you that boarding is closed and you are listed standby for the next available flight that is oversold by 30! I like the city though!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Fly Delta Jets

myk

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:56 am

Tolosy,

You are right to say that CDG1 is not a Hub....BUT......it will probably be one in 2007/08 : a Star Alliance Hub.
The funny thing is that more an more passengers connect through CDG1 (RG to BD and LH), (LH, SK to AC) and I am not talking about (T1-T2) connections (a lot of people for or from EK, UL to AF, HM, MK, DL...etc).

This very ugly Terminal, even with the refurbishment and the (very poor) new satellite 5, will stay CDG's worst Terminal.

I fully agree with you folks that LHR and CDG are europes worst Hubs. Frankfurt is a real Luxury Airport if you compare.

I wonder that none mentioned JFK !

Raptor72

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:58 am

MNL gets my vote!
Toilets are absolutely a mess, AC's are like "hot-spots" (if you have the "luck" to stand right underneath a vent you freeze to death otherwise you sweat...) and it seems that they have a own Olympic discipline at the transfer desk: who gets the longest line!
And of course they didn't checked my baggage through on my connection flight. I had to go through the immigration, customs and check-in again (transfer desk wasn't able to help!). At least the customs agent smiled at my before he opened all my baggage! And, yes I have to say, he made a reeaally lovely presentation of all my personal belongings on his metal table  Wink/being sarcastic I missed my connection flight of course...

The immigration at each US airports is just horrible since 9/11. But that's of course not the airport's fault.

dtwclipper

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:59 am

N737AF:

It was more than "a little renovation" as you say. Have you seen the new mid-field terminal? Have you seen the new runway? Have you heard about the plans for the new north terminal?

DTW will be a brand new airport when all of the work is done.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Caymanair

Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:01 am

i honestly am suprised at your choices for worst hub. Mine would have to be MIA, MBJ.

neilalp

Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:09 am

As far as connecting at CDG T1....if KLM still flies out of T1 when I come back from Europe i'm taking KLM from AMS-CDG then connecting to NW CDG-DTW as this was the routing for my Frequent Flier flight. So I'll try connecting through T1 and let you know how bad it really is.