Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ramerinianair
Topic Author

Best Terminal Format/layout . . .

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:40 am

I was looking at terminal map of different cities and I wanted to know which airport do you think has the best configuration? Please let me know your favorite domestic and international terminals! I really thought that some were unique like MCI and wanted to know which ones are really traveler friendly.
Thanks,
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

burnsie28

RE: Best Terminal Format/layout . . .

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:42 am

MCI is by far the worse, I find DTW the best! (Worldgateway)

geoffm

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:46 am

Stansted was supposed to be pretty much walk in a straight line through the terminal when it was built. However, to accomodate the various duty free shops, it is not quite such a straight line anymore!

One thing that annoys me about terminal design - even new ones - is lack of space at the checkin desks. Queues start merge when large crowds are present, making you wonder exactly what you're queuing for!

Geoff M.

N1120A

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:50 am

MCI is a study in contrasts. It was envisioned as a major TWA hub but they set up the entrances to the gates like an O&D airport. This makes connecting a bitch. IAH is obviously a connecting airport, but the walks there are just stupid, way too long. I love LAX's set up, it is really easy to drive in and out of and is very compact. The only problem there is connections from airline to airline, but that is not LAX's specialty, it is the number 1 O&D airport in the world
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

hardiwv

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:52 am

I vote for AMS and SDU!

1) My favourite international airport is AMS - Schiphol, which is the only major aiport with all terminals under ONE roof! very practical indeed.

2) By far the best regional airport in the world is SDU (Rio de Janeiro domestic airport). Its charm and the natural setting surrounding the airport is just amazing; and everytime I land there it really takes my breath away.

Hardi

babybus

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:11 am

Ever been to Gatwick South terminal? Although the check-in area can get very crowded and the departure lounge is just a vulgar shopping centre, overall the terminal is very well laid out and everything is on the same level. Airline stuff downstairs and food and shops upstairs. Easy as that.

Unlike its sister terminal (North) where it doesn't matter if you are arriving or departing you will have to go up and down ecalators with your heavy bags. One of the world's most ill-thought out terminals.

In my opinion.

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:13 am

Tampa...

Tampa, Tampa, Tampa...

Tampa,
B

LambertMan

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:14 am

This is easy.

TPA

BlueF9A320

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:20 am

Denver is a pretty good airport for connections. As far as for distances you have to walk in each concourse, thats what the moving walkaways are for: so lazy Americans don't have to walk. As far as O&D traffic, DEN is a bit spread out, especially if you're flying out of Concourse C. But If you're flying out of Concourse A, you can take the sky bridge, which is pretty cool.

MCO is pretty easy to use as far as O&D traffic is concerned.

v/r

Chris
Audentes Fortuna Juvat...

BH346

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:11 am

By far I like the linear design the best. Examples of this is Osaka/Kansai and the McNamara terminal at DTW. Main terminal area in the middle with two wings extending out to the side of it. Movement through the terminal follows a simple, straight path down the hall and in larger terminals, trams can be used to move passengers more efficiently as well as moving sidewalks.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

dtwclipper

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:14 am

DTW. The Northwest Worldgateway is by far one of the best.

I think AMS sucks! Sorry, but it is crowded and you have loooooooong concourses all over.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

iowa744fan

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:20 am

I have always been a fan of Denver. Granted, this is based upon connecting traffic and not O&D. I think that the long terminal is a quick and efficient design. Atlanta is nice, but I like the longer terminal at Denver (for UA) instead of a couple of smaller ones. I have heard great things about the McNamara Terminal at DTW, but I have only been through the B and C concourses, so I don't really know.

As for ones that I hate. I hate the designs in MCI and DFW. Unfortunately, DFW was built right before the major evolution of the hub and spoke, so it is designed with O&D in mind instead. MCI, I just hate that layout. Thank goodness that I have only had to transfer there once.

graham697

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:22 am

TPA is the best in America!

ordflyer

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:25 am

For me one of the best is United's Terminal 1 at ORD. Worst has to be MCI...I've been there a few times and just can't stand it.

ramerinianair
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:11 am

I am kind of partial but I love the old terminal 5 at JFK. TWA was great and their terminal there was even better!
BTW, I was at LGW, I know it is nice but, the check-in area was really really corwded!
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

AAgent

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:27 am

And here's another vote for TPA. Tampa International Airport has a very efficient layout that other airports would be wise to immitate.
War Eagle!

stlgph

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:55 am

As far as smaller O&D airports, I have to throw a vote out for Indianapolis.

I did fly into Tampa once and thought it was very well laid-out.

My favorite connecting hub is O'Hare for the eye candy, but must admit I was very strongly impressed with Detroit's terminal. Only problem was the long taxi in and taxi out and at first impression when you taxi from one side clear to the other you're like..."whoa!" But I would definitely fly Northwest again given a connection in Detroit. Five total stops instead of the three for the tram might have been a better idea, though, in my opinion.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

fbgdavidson

Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:56 am

Shock horror I am going to nominate T4 at LHR! With the exception of the Victor Zone a very simple layout. Long departure hall with all check-in desks in a row and F check-in in a small alcove. All the airside shops are clustered around within close proximity to security. Just a shame it is so overcrowded these days  Sad

I'm also rather partial to SFO. Bright, airy new international terminal building.

One small feature of Terminal 1 at LHR I like is the completely separate Zone R check-in area for BA/OW elites and premium passengers.

No security line, no waits to check-in and direct access from departure ramp. I'll bet 99% of passengers going through the main terminal don't even know of it's existence. Apart from that T1 is a mess

Worst
IAD - Having to take busses and wait to transit between different concourses is rather archaic.

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:05 am

My hometown airport, FWA!

FWA (Baer Field as I still refer to it) is nice and small; ticket/checkin counters right next to security, and all gates are practically right there. The four regional gates are at ground level, just beyond security. The remaining four gates are just up the escalator/stairs/lift, just to the right from security. Also, nice ramp views from both ground-level and upstairs concourses. (I just wish they hadn't closed in the ground-floor concourse, which used to be all glass!).

Also, a neat museum upstairs in the concourse about FWA's history!

A little secret: FWA is known as the friendliest airport around--and locals and travelers know it as the "cookie airport"--where the nice Hospitality Hosts hand out free cookies to arriving passengers.

I know I'm partial to FWA (Baer Field), but it's my hometown airport, and I fly out of there all the time.
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:07 am

My hometown airport, FWA!

FWA (Baer Field as I still refer to it) is nice and small; ticket/checkin counters right next to security, and all gates are practically right there. The four regional gates are at ground level, just beyond security. The remaining four gates are just up the escalator/stairs/lift, just to the right from security. Also, nice ramp views from both ground-level and upstairs concourses. (I just wish they hadn't closed in the ground-floor concourse, which used to be all glass!).

Also, a neat museum upstairs in the concourse about FWA's history!

A little secret: FWA is known as the friendliest airport around--and locals and travelers know it as the "cookie airport"--where the nice Hospitality Hosts hand out free cookies to arriving passengers.

I know I'm partial to FWA (Baer Field), but it's my hometown airport, and I fly out of there all the time.
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

mats

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:08 am

My vote is for Berlin/Tegel. It is definitely not a good place to connect, but it is nothing short of fantastic for O&D passengers. The motorway is just a few feet from the check-in desks.

Although check-in can be crowded, I'm also partial to Oslo Gardemoen. It's a beautiful airport: well-designed, attractive, and inviting.

willbdsp

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:11 am

Pittsburgh International Airport

It is a very simple 'X' design. Only a quick walk from one gate to the next. Not to mention that once you go thru security, you can reach all of the gates.

So nice, so easy!

blhp68

Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:14 am

Once again another thread with a chance to bash MCI. Listen folks, last time I checked MCI was not a hub for any airline. SWA is the only airline with connecting operations, and once the TIP project is done they will have corrected the problem of clearing security twice. MCI is a great layout for what it is specifically designed for: O&D passengers. Also, even if you have to enter security twice, the airport ranked third in the nation for the shortest security waits. And if you are a smart traveler you would hang out in the unsecure area until your flight is ready to leave, clear security in less than a minute and be on your way. So, unless anyone has any valid points as to why MCI is so inconvienent for travelers, then it is not necessary to continually bash the airport. This airport will never be a hub, and that is fine with me as the KC area will continue to enjoy some of the lowest fares in the nation.

ZKSUJ

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:44 pm

The best IMO is Singapore Changi Airport, it is what other NEW airports should model their plans on

YUL2010

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:38 pm

The best IMO is Singapore Changi Airport, it is what other NEW airports should model their plans on
Diddo
"Hotel November Oscar clear to land runway 24L"

dl757md

Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:53 pm

I'm surprised nobody has said ATL yet. IMHO ATL is the most efficient terminal/concourse setup. Being the busiest terminal in the world since 1998, it is at 130 acres very compact for the traffic it sees. The concourse layout is very efficient and intuitive. I don't however like that the T concourse is before the A concourse. As a weekly traveler through ATL I've seen countless instances where people unfamiliar with ATL are thrown by this. I guess nothing is perfect.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

garnetpalmetto

Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:05 am

I'd say PIT and CLT. They're both pretty darn travel friendly, easy to get around, it's easy to move around from concourse to concourse.

Worst format/layout of the airports I've been to would be IAD.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

N62NA

Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:11 am

MIA! (Just kidding, though we are making good progress here with the new MIAA terminal for AA).

I happen to like the new terminal at DCA.

monorail

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:36 pm

I'll cast my vote for MCO. The AGT system is fun and has a good view.
The only inconvenience would be connecting from an airline on the west side to one on the east side (Like CO to VS, etc.)
Otherwise it's a great setup

[Edited 2004-10-17 08:38:45]
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

yanksn4

Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:00 pm

I believe that Denver International Airport has the best layout by far. The design is pretty simple and the terminal is great with the canvas roof over you. The way they designed the concourses was great and the train makes for easy navigating from each one. I like how checking in for every airline is under the same roof and not like other airports where there is like five or ten different terminals.

Signed,
Matthew
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

zippyjet

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:05 pm

Contrary to popular belief I'm not on drugs but, the zippyjet award for best airport layout and features is ATL Yep folks, Hotlanta gets my endorsement. Why you ask? Because, once you get past the big factor, it is pretty cool. Think about it: You go through security one time. Then, you hit those long escalators and board those trains which come every two minutes with the cool warning chimes and that radio DJ mechanical voice articulating to Please hold on, the next stop is terminal C. You can walk on the moving sidewalks or do the train and visit all six concourses where there is a diversity of food and beverage outlets. In addition, there are tons of Brookstones with all those gadgets that I can't afford but are there for me to test out and park my tush on between flights. OK, ATL has that 70's look in many places but I can excuse that for all its conveniences. Walking is not as bad as you'd think. TPA gets an honorable mention. Modern shopping mall/college campus look to it. And, MIA because of its ecclectic funkiness. However, MIA is undergoing rennovations and as the Star Alliance concourse J debuts and the unter American super duper concourse opens, I'm afraid that 50's modern funkiness MIMO aura will dissappear.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!