Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SLC1
Topic Author

Why Do People Prefer Big Planes?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:11 am

Everywhere I see that passengers prefer big jets to regionals. Why is this? Many regionals have about as good of service as their big counterparts, I personally think they are more comfortable (how can you beat an ERJ 145 seat that is both a window and an aisle?), many are boarded with jetways now, they're faster to get on and off of, less of a struggle at baggage claim, and so on?, what's everyone's beef with regionals?

CRPilot

RE: Why Do People Prefer Big Planes?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:16 am

The only form of "aircraft discrimination" I've ever seen is with turboprops. Other than that, I find that most people adjust to a smaller jet quickly, and few ever complaint. Furthermore, people don't really have much of choice. If they book CO, UA, US, etc, they could easily end up on a RJ depending on the route.

jtamu97

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:17 am

I think it is not only the conception that some people have about space, but some facts as well. Smaller people ( a little over 5 feet) seem to prefer regionals as they fit just fine, can stand up and from what I hear from relatives have a hard time having their feet touch on larger planes making the flight very uncomfortable. On the other hand, I prefer larger planes just so I do not feel like I am having to duck when walking up and down the aisle. I do like having my own seat when available on the ERJ, but frankly it sucks to have to sit by someone on one or the CRJ. Anyways. The service is about the same, I think is mainly the idea of being able to get up and stretch. Well my 2 cents.

Later,
J

PHLBOS

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:22 am

Try riding on one of them on a windy day. Smaller planes tend to bounce more during turbulence much like a smaller boat over the waves more than an oceanliner.

On most regional jets and turboprops, the overhead storage compartments are either smaller and/or only located along one side of the plane. One has to take nearly everything that they might use during the flight out of their carry-on before boarding.

For those who are claustrophobic, the smaller cabins could be an issue for them.

Not to poke fun at anyone here, but people in the big and tall category may not be able to fit through the aisle never mind the seats (which are all Coach-sized).

174thfwff

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:28 am

I'm 5'11 (6’0 with my shoes on) and 190 lbs. I flew the Embraer 145 from DCA to SYR two months ago and while I like the space of larger aircraft, this baby does go fast. I feel very cramped in that aircraft, but I'll take it over the A319/prop combo from DCA-JFK-SYR that I usually have to take (and driving!). Besides the comfort, a lot of people prefer larger aircraft as they are better in turbulence… though from Syracuse we don't get anything larger then 737/A320 so choice isn’t really something we have.

jetboyflyhi

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:46 am

Most pax don't look at the seats, even though the seats on most regional aircraft are the same if not larger than a Mainline aircraft they just see no real standing room however the CRJ700/900 and ERJ170 Have an ample amount of standing room .Not to mention the regionals have leather seats which are by far more sanitary...IE head lice can't go in to the seat like with cloth seats. I prefer a regional ...I also ask was the automobile that got them to the airport too small...no complaints there Smile

philhyde

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:58 am

I'd say that I even prefer a wide-body over a single-isle. We flew a CO 764 IAH-EWR last August and that flight was a dream. Compared with the A319 we usually fly IAH-MSP, the 764 was quieter, smoother, and felt very open on the inside.

Bigger is better!

cheers,
Phil

SLC1
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:04 am

My comments

Jtamu97...

I'm 6'2" / 180 lbs and I think regionals are more comfortable

Phlbos...

I agree with you on the turbulence factor but it isn't enough for me to prefer a 737.

Philhyde...

I agree with you that I much prefer a wide body to a single aisle, a single aisle seems so common and a small airplane trying to be big.

skibum9

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:12 am

Personally, I can't stand RJs and attempt to route around them every time I can. I've heard all the arguements that the seats are the same, and while they do have similar pitch (31") and width (18") the curvature of the fuselage eliminates some of the leg room if your are sitting at a window, the seats are closer together, by about an inch (may not seem like much but I like my personal space) and the aisles are thinner. Thus, to me they are very cramped. However I am 6'1" and 190 lbs. I can't stand mainline coach if I am on a long flight either. Luckily I travel enough that I usually get upgraded, thus another reason to route around an RJ.

RJs have a purpose, that is serving smaller short-haul thin routes, but airlines have put too many of them on mid-haul routes with higher frequencies and eliminated mainline service. Given that the CASM is higher for an RJ this just doesn't make good economic sense. I think you will find that many business travelers, such as myself, prefer mainline aircraft as they provide more room.

ac345yyz

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:17 am

This is an interesting topic, in my opinion, it depends what route you are traveling. If it is a short-medium haul, sure the regional jets are bouncy in turbulence, but are much easier to maneuver, making me have a better state of mind! But when it comes to comfort, I prefer widebodys.

jetblueatjfk

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:19 am

Some people probably prefer bigger planes because they have more power and they feel safer. I have heard people saying how they like the smooth ride and they feel safer. I like single aisle mid sized ex. A320 or 737. The smaller planes you feel the turbulence much more than bigger planes. They also seem so small to fly. Some real small ones are like flying cars. I don't see that much wrong with them. As long as they aren't props I am OK.

jetBlueAtJFK

aa777jr

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:21 am

Seems like we discuss this thread at least once a week...Richard Bransons 4 engine theory... Nuts

PPVRA

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:28 am

The only regional aircraft I have been on is an ATR-42. Apart from the noise and vibrations I have nothing to complain about... I would also prefer them since it they are MUCH easier to plane/deplane than 737s/A320s and upwards.

As for turbulence, IMO, it's a nice little extra  Big thumbs up

Cheers,

PPVRA

9v-svc

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:34 am

Basically for me , I prefer flying widebodies over narrowbodies which includes propeller planes is because of cabin space. I feel more at ease for this case especially for flights more then 3 hrs.

flymia

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:37 am

Also I think people think big planes are safer. Also the ride is a little bit smoother in a larger plane. Atleast T/O and Landing.

YOW4NOW

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 pm

The actual "flying" experience makes no difference to me. My beef with the RJ's are the arrivals. Last month, I flew YOW-ORD-LAX, LAX-ORD-YOW. I was at the rear of the aircraft both times going to and leaving from LAX. From the time the aircraft stopped at the gate to the time I got off the aircraft was less than 5 minutes (767 both times) However, arriving on the RJ's we waited no less than 10 minutes each time before people could de-plane. The reason being the jet bridges. Maybe someone could answer why it takes so much longer for a jet bridge to dock up with an RJ then it does with the larger aircraft? Personally, I'd rather they just open the door and use the steps, walk 20 yards on the tarmac and get inside the terminal.

BIGBlack

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 pm

According to my co workers, little ones crash 'All the time'.

I don't feel that way but little ones scare me. I go out of my way to fly bigger ones.

aerobalance

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:39 pm

My 6'5" frame can only take so much in the little planes....

whitehatter

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:43 pm

I honestly prefer riding in a 757 to a 767.

I can't really say why, except that I have a horror of the middle seats for whatever reason! But even in the window rows I prefer the narrow body.

NYCAAer

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:46 pm

I remember when we switched our JFK-LHR flights from 767s and A300s to 777s in 2000 at AA, the passenger response was overwhelmingly positive. Passengers were going out of their way to book on the flights that were flown with 777 equipment.

I think they appreciate the extra space- there's actually room for them to stand by lavatories without being in the way of meal carts, there's more room in the large overhead bins. It's all about personal space, something very rare in air travel in these days of full flights.

CRPilot

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:49 pm

"According to my co workers, little ones crash 'All the time'."

Believe it or not there has been more accidents on narrowbodies than on RJ's. Bare in mind RJ's due more cycles per day than the average narrowbody (with the exception of WN's 737s).

"Some people probably prefer bigger planes because they have more power"

You should look at the thrust to weight ratio on a CRJ700 or a ERJ45XR.

People may have the perception that bigger airplanes have more powerful thus safer engines, but it's about the thrust to weight ratio...not the size of the engine.

Cheers

CRP

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:07 pm

More Space,Less Turbulent.
regds
MEL

ZKSUJ

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:42 pm

I think it is the fact that bigger planes are more stable and smoother particularly duting turbulence. I don't mind big or small planes, I find them all good fun but for those who are afraid, I guess it is peace of mind.

na

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:36 pm

The bigger the better.
Big jets are more
-stable
-give the impression of more safety
-offer a better room feel, even if your own seat doesn´t measure up to that
-widebodies are easier to board (I hate beeing stuck in one long line like in a god-awful 757-300)
-some people expect that an airline takes more care of a massive invest like the 744 or 777 rather than in a mass product like a 737
-and bigger jets generally look better

NoUFO

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:06 pm

Personally I prefer smaller jets and even turboprops over widebodies as long as the flight doesn't last over more than two hours. Likewise, I prefer smaller airports over hubs and don't mind walking across the tarmac.

The benefits are: no middle seats, faster boarding and deboarding, more personal atmosphere, better "real" flying experience.

solnabo

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:14 pm

Didnt see anyone write THE word: claustrophobia!

I flown a Metro III American Eagle and that was the worst flight ever in my life. TG it was only for 25 minutes, SFO-L Tahoe.

Had a really hard time w my claustrophobia those 25 min. I had a valium wich I took on the Frisco Airport when I saw the alu.tube!!!

Big Planes, Domestic and Intercont, thats what I say  Big thumbs up

Micke / SE

FinnWings

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:16 pm

In case of a emergency landing I would be rather in smaller than bigger aircraft. The bigger airplane will have much higher movement inertia in case of crash and most likely that will cause more destruction. Usually bigger aircrafts have higher landing speeds as well. So don't fool yourself by thinking bigger are safer.

This reminds me of the famous words which a worried wife of a pilot said to her husband before flight:"Please, fly at low and slowly!"  Laugh out loud

Best Regards,
FinnWings

ejmmsu

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:29 pm

I think it also depends on what rj it is. I think we can all agree that the CR2 is just plain awful. However, the ERJ's and CR7s aren't too bad.

goinv

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:43 pm

My wife and I flew back from MIA to LGW in 2001 and hit turbulence whilst over the Atlantic at 1am. It was a 747 and since then my wife has been terrified of flying.

She was hyperventilating on a 737 from GLA to AMS in July of last year whilst we were in a perfectly calm phase of the flight!

Last October I forced her to make an 80 min flight on a SAAB 340 from Inverness to Sumburgh on Shetland (this included an intermediate stop at Kirkwall). It was windy and we almost landed sideways in Kirkwall. The turbulence was pretty bad.

The moral of the story? She enjoyed the flight on the SAAB a hundred times more than the 747 and 737. It's just a pity a Saab can't get from the UK to the USA so that we could fly more often!

PHLBOS

Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:26 am

Didnt see anyone write THE word: claustrophobia!

Solnabo,

Look at my earlier post (Reply #3):

For those who are claustrophobic, the smaller cabins could be an issue for them.

Capital146

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:25 am

I actually much prefer flights in smaller, regional aircraft as I always feel that you get a slightly more personal service from the crew than on a cattle crate wide-body.

To date I've flown on Saab 340's, Shorts 360, and the Dash 8Q300 and Q400 and preferred the lot of them over any mainline jet aircraft on a short flight (the Dash8's in particular are excellent). For me a flight on a regional aircraft always feels like more of an event and provides many more highlights.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:36 am

I don't prefer turbo-props . . . too loud.

There is something to be said for a wide-body with a decent size lav (in terms of height). I hate to bend over backward to use the damn thing in the MD80/DC9/732, etc.

Otherwise, I don't really care. . . . . gets em from point A to point B and I survive and get a few drinkies in the process, just doesn't matter.

AZjetgeek

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:16 am

Never having flown on an RJ, I'm looking forward to the first time I do. I have flown on my share of turboprops. I'd rather fly on a Dash 8-200 than a 737 any day. Very comfortable and surprisingly quiet.

As for the turbulence issue, I've flown on a 737, an A320 and a 757 through turbulence. As far as I'm concerned, they all handle it about the same. My most recent flight (Nov 04) was on a 733 PHX-LAS. Went through a storm system on this flight. Lots of turbulence, even though the pilot did the best he could to get above it.

I believe there is a general belief that bigger means safer, but I don't buy into it. Any aircraft is as comfortable as the passenger feels when they're seated. Frankly, when on a 737 or larger, I avoid using the lav because the a/c is usually so crowded that getting out of your seat, especially if you're on the window, is a challenge for anyone. Same thing goes for getting back into it.

Captain.MD-11

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:28 am

I can't describe why, but I will always try and book a flight on the biggest plane possible! I would much prefer to see a L1011/MD-11/747/777/A340 sitting at my gate rather than a 757! The 757 is a great plane and if I get chace to fly on one I do....... but only if there is nothing larger flying the same route  Laugh out loud

buckieboy

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:04 am

Having not read the whole of the thread and searched for the word "aisle", it looks like I may be the first to say:

"Two Aisles".

It really is that simple.

Cheers

Buckieboy

PacificWestern

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:28 pm

Society is conditioned to think that bigger is better.