Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chris
Topic Author

Venice-Toronto/

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:03 am

I will be fly Venice-Toronto this June and have the chioce of flying Alitalia, KLM, Lufthansa or Air France. I'd like to hear opinions on what airline you would choose regarding service and type of a/c used. Thanks

Chris

EddieDude

RE: Venice-Toronto/

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:18 am

Will you be flying coach class?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

PHX Flyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:02 am

I have used LHR, FRA and AMS as connecting points in the past. CDG I never tried, but I heard it's notoriously bad, too. I would avoid connections in Europe whenever I can, because the big hubs are so chaotic, especially FRA and LHR. In your case I would have chosen US Airways' new nonstop service from Philly to Venice. It is much nicer to arrive at your final destination on the long-haul leg and head straight to the hotel to freshen up, rather then spending several more hours at the airport and on a cramped connecting flight. If you really have no choice but those you have mentioned above, I would suggest you try KLM via AMS. They offer solid service and pretty smooth connections. Only their leg room sucks, which btw is the case on all European carriers. It's usually 30-31", at US you get 33".
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

captaingomes

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:16 am

Another option you can try is Skyservice, which will be using 767's on the route. The flights are running on June 6, 9, 13, 20, 23, 27 and 30. Generally that's Mondays and Thursdays, with a few exceptions. Legroom ranges from 30" to 33", depending on where you sit, and it is just one class of service. This would avoid having to connect anywhere.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

EddieDude

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:22 am

PHX_Flyer has a very good point. Fly YYZ-PHL-VCE with US. If you don't mind flying a 50-pax regional jet between YYZ and PHL, then it is a very good option. The trans-Atlantic leg will be on a 762ER.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

Airdolomiti

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 am

I would go with LH or LH & AC via FRA or MUC, as they are the airline I fly the most. I do not find FRA to be as chaotic as some describe it, nor MUC for that matter. Do we want to talk about connecting at JFK?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Alternatively, KLM would be an excellent choice, AMS is a rather pleasant airport to connect at. The only thing with this solution is, on the way from VCE to YYZ, you would have to spend nearly 6 hours in AMS (the morning KL flight from VCE arrives at 08:20, the flight to YYZ departs at 14:10). You can always spend a few hours of quality spotting on the huge visitors' terrace though  Big grin

If you don't care about poor IFE in Y class, why not give AZ a try? The connecting times at MXP are pretty good, and the seat pitch on the 767 in Y isn't too bad.

Whatever you do, avoid CDG by all means Big grin

Federico

WF2BNN

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:43 am

I Agree with EddieDude, US is a great way to go. The fastest and the cheapest too! $950 r/t in June is a great prize.
I flew US on a 762 PHL-AMS-PHL in 2002, and the service was great. A little old a/c but it works.

The connection going through PHL is only one hour going out, is that sufficient for a non US citizen to connect?

Mats
What goes up, must come down.

Tobi3334

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:50 am

Hi Chris,

I choose BA for my FRA-YYZ trip in July but my second choise would be AF. They should offer a great coach service.

Maybe we can take a look at the aircraft type:
AF is using the A340-300
LH will use the B747-400
whats about KLM and Alitalia?

If you want to fly with connection in the US you have to think about that you have to do the immigration two times. First in the US and than in Canada. That can be stressfull if your connection time is short in the US.

Greetings,
Tobi

[Edited 2005-02-07 18:54:10]

[Edited 2005-02-07 18:54:48]

LXsaab2000

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:58 am

As for me , absolutely fly with US Airways connecting through PHL!

Alternately AZ offers 2 flights to Toronto to Venice via MXP or FCO and if you prefer flying Star Alliance , don't forget AC from YYZ to FCO and Air One (Star Alliance member too) from FCO to VCE.

Bye

caribb

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:58 am

I've flown Ams-VCE on KLM (733) & KLM Cityhopper (F70) and would recommend it. I've flown both KLM & AF trans-Atlantic from Montreal and both are excellent with AF better in terms of Flight attendants although KLM excelled in service too. Also I've flown AF CDG-AMS (A320) and quite frankly their European service was way below their trans-Atlantic service whereas KLM's was on par (also flew KLM to ATH recently & service was excellent)... AMS is also an incredibly organized airport and I would use it over CDG or LHR to transfer through. Labour issues with the French are often causes of distruptions although I have no clue how that situation is today. I can't speak at all for LH & FRA, nor AZ & FCO neither of which I've ever used but presumably their popularity isn't for nothing so perhaps they are a good alternative, partcularly LH, AZ is having financial problems.

Enjoy Venice, it's a unique and amazing city!

[Edited 2005-02-07 19:00:15]