Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flybyguy
Topic Author

American Airlines Vs British Airways International

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:06 am

For those who knew people or have yourselves flown on both AA and BA how does the international service compare in the various classes of service?

Secondly, I haven't seen a BA commericial in America for a long time. I was wondering if anyone knew if BA still used 'Lakmé: "Flower Duet" ' as their theme song.

This link will lead you to a sample of what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/cl...00I93Z001007/0/103-5417892-3451030

I think this theme brings an air of sophistication to the commercials. Just as 'Rhapsody in Blue' did for United.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Starlionblue

RE: American Airlines Vs British Airways Internati

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:10 am

In monkey class (which I have flown a lot on both):
- AA has more legroom.
- The AA 777 has 2-5-2, which is superior to the BA 777s 3-3-3 if you are alone or a couple.
- BA has free alcohol if you care.
- Service on BA tends to be slightly superior to AA on average, but on any one flight it's a crapshoot.

As I said, I haven't flown biz but have used the lounges a lot. The BA biz lounges are much nicer than the AA equivalent and have free alcohol as opposed to two free drinks.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

speedbudgie

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:12 am

British Airways has been advertising quite heavily on select channels in the US of late. There are two commercials that I have seen (one with a husband and wife leaving from JFK and LHR to meet on an island somewhere, and the second with a man who gets into bed in central park and then wakes up in Piccadilly Circus), both of them have a modified Lakme theme to them.

Having flown both internationally, I would give BA the edge hands down. This is in all classes of service.

speedbudgie
AA AC AF AS BA CO CJ EI HP IB IT LH LX NW QX TG TK TW U2 UA US VS VY WN

N1120A

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:38 am

Not to be picky, but only one small part of GVA is actually in the EU.

Also, AA has quite good international service, especially on the 777. If you are in Y and need comfort, AA is the way to go because they have a much better pitch than BA and 2-5-2. If you are traveling with 2 other people or want a guarenteed PTV, free booze and what is generally considered some of the best food flying (in contrast to the food in their country of origin) go with BA
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AA787

Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:55 am

It depends on where you are sitting

First-They are both superb (I have heard)  Wink

Biz-BA hands down

Economy- AA, because, unless you want to sit in world traveller plus on BA, you will be on the lowest level of service. On AA thats third tier (on the 777, second on everything else) where as on BA you are fourth tier.

AA787

FoxBravo

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:23 am

I have to disagree with AA787 about BA World Traveller being worse than AA economy simply because there are more classes "above" it. It doesn't feel like "fourth tier" at all.

I have flown both airlines round trip between JFK and LHR in economy within the past few years, and I would definitely give a slight edge to BA. Not that AA was bad by any means--it's just that everything that AA did ok, BA did even better. The food was better, the movies were better, and the service had a certain classiness that I never seem to find on U.S. airlines. Also, I would note that at JFK, although BA's terminal is not perfect, AA's terminal is an absolute disaster area due to the ongoing renovations.

Starlionblue makes a good point, however, that AA's 2-5-2 configuration on the 777 is better than BA's 3-3-3 (if 777) or 3-4-3 (if 744). I usually fly either alone or with one other person, so 3 seats by the window is annoying. Another point in AA's favor is that, as an AAdvantage member, you can't earn mileage on BA transatlantic flights, which is extremely annoying.

So, overall, if the price were the same and the schedules were equally convenient, I'd probably choose BA. But if I found a better fare or schedule with AA, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ozglobal

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:23 am

Generally:

Service: BA is of a higher standard
Lounges: BA

Y class: BA is good as they are primarily a long haul airline and know how to do it well. PVT for over 5years, free drinks, friendly service, comfortable seats, tight pitch, though AA is removing "more room in coach' so it's one current advantage will dissappear soon, I believe

C/J class: BA defined premium business with its Club World product, which is better than First on most international carriers: true horizontal flat bed, enhaned privacy, huge PVT's great, service, great lounges (departure AND arrival at LHR)
AA business is like a premium economy product on a premium carrier

F class: BA is excellent (the only criticism would be that the service a little TOO understated)
AA product looks good and have read good reports, but haven't tried it (one concern would be that they don't score well on end-to-end service as an airline in general, so the F product is likely to be impacted by that)
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

komododx

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (reply 4):
Not to be picky, but only one small part of GVA is actually in the EU

So what's your point?

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

GuyBetsy1

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:37 am

AA international may have an edge with its 777s and slightly larger seat pitch. But overall, if you take in comfort, meals, service, and general appearance of your FAs, I would have to give it to BA.

What with american carriers now not being able to segregate cabins with the use of curtains, you just see everyone in one long aisle... whereas on other carriers, you still will feel that you want to keep the rif-raf out of First or Business Class...

AA7573E

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:50 am

Hey GuyBetsy1

Are you kidding me with the general apperance of the FA's comment?

What the hell does that have to do with the quality of service? What a pig-headed statement, and a fantastic way to prove that you just don't get it (use your imagination as to what I mean by it)! Time to leave the stone ages pal.

First Class - is a wash. They both have excellent products.
Business - BA all the way
Economy - AA, due to layout and pitch. Hands down.
See you up front!

ba319-131

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:59 am

On any given day,either could be good, it all's all down to the crew on the day.

That said, if flying Business, take BA, no questions asked. Flying down back, well AA offer more legroom than BA but if you want some booze bring your wallet! - BA, free booze and generally a better service than AA 'down back', at least thats opinion after flights on both carriers.

Which ever you choose, have a great trip.
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

fbgdavidson

Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:07 am

First:
BA wipes the floor, unless you get Flagship Suites on AA in which case BA F is still better. Better lounges, better seat, nose of 747 in F is best F cabin environment.

Business:
BA cleans up with the exception of Bose QC2s. BA offer rubbish headphones in all classes

Economy:
I'd have taken AA with 34" pitch although now it is being removed I'd rather get boozed up on crap booze and fall asleep for the rest of the flight. Food equally crap on both.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

aa777223er

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:11 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (reply 12):
Economy:
I'd have taken AA with 34" pitch although now it is being removed I'd rather get boozed up on crap booze and fall asleep for the rest of the flight. Food equally crap on both.

AA is NOT reducing seat pitch on the 777. They are only adding one row of seats in coach to the MD-80, 737, and on a new note, the 767-300.

Regards,

AA777223ER
time flies, seize the day

Speedbird2155

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:16 am

I will start by admitting that I work for BA and will be a little biased. The extra legroom in coach on AA doesn't make up for the crap service they provide and this is compared to BA or any European carrier. I try to avoid AA when I can, even though they are our One World partners. I'd rather fly Virgin which is a competitor, than AA, at least then I know I'll get good service despite the fact the the cabin crew usually take great pleasure at teasing us BA staff for flying with VS. With AA, it can seem at times like you can be made to feel non-existent, which can happen with any carrier, just more so with AA.

jcavinato

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:18 am

I travel both several times a year. BA's international business and first class are hands down way better than AA's.

Ready4Pushback

Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:10 am

BA advertises in the UK quite a bit, and yes they still use that piece. I love it, I have it on several of my classical/chillout albums.

I have only ever flown AA in economy and BA in WT and WT+. I would say, IMHO, that BA is the better of the two - if I had the choice. However, if I was on a 777, I would choose AA, as I hate a 3-3-3 layout.

I love both airlines, actually - I have very little to complain about both of them. I had a really good laugh with an f/a on an AA flight last year. It's a great airline I think. I like both of them - they are my choice when they are available.

Aren't AA going to reduce the legroom soon? I think their "More legroom in coach" promotion is going to finish.

skidmarks

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:20 pm

Could this be a Frenchman complaining about British food? I can't believe that!
Quoting N1120A (reply 4):
(in contrast to the food in their country of origin)

Ah well, guess I'll just settle for a plate of bangers and mash, washed down with a pint of bitter while I wait for my next flight on BA Big grin

Incidentally, I have only flown AA twice - LHR-JFK and return. I wasn't overly impressed with the service although the seating was fine (763). The staff were indifferent and not quite with it. In contrast, my last trip with BA (ORD-LHR) the staff were attentive, helpful and friendly. I was impressed and amazed!

Still, it's all a question of what you expect from a flight, and I am quite happy to go from A to B in relative comfort and safety.

Cheers

Andy
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Catatonic

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:11 am

My vote goes for AA. having flown both my next trip i specifically chose AA over BA. IMO AA offer a better service because I found they had

-the IFE better with a wider choice of films
-better seat pitch
-cleaner aircraft
-food was nice (and more plentiful than BA)
-Better soft drinks service which came around more often than on BA
-2-5-2 seating in economy

Disadvantages of AA:

-You need assigned seating before check in, otherwise it is likely you might not sit together. Reserve your window seat ASAP on their website, these are allocated first and go really quickly

The advantages of BA I found were:

-Amenity kit in economy
-Alchohol beverage service
-Food equally as nice as AA though not as plentiful
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

usdcaguy

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:50 am

Regarding the "appearance of flight attendants", I think BA's men are studly while AA's grandmas need to stay at home. Pig-headed I am, when I pay good money to fly across the pond. Why on Earth should I put up with frowning heads full of Aqua Net when BA's boys serve up free cocktails with smiles and wit? Get me drunk on your dime, then you'll really get to fly me home.

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 pm

Quoting Usdcaguy (Reply 19):
Get me drunk on your dime, then you'll really get to fly me home.

Excellent . . .

That said, I'd take a European flag carrier, especially BA over AA any day, any flight, any time . . . for a somewhat different reason tha USDCAGuy Big grin

But I'm with him, get me drunk on your dime!
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Catatonic

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting Usdcaguy (Reply 19):
Regarding the "appearance of flight attendants", I think BA's men are studly while AA's grandmas need to stay at home. Pig-headed I am, when I pay good money to fly across the pond. Why on Earth should I put up with frowning heads full of Aqua Net when BA's boys serve up free cocktails with smiles and wit? Get me drunk on your dime, then you'll really get to fly me home.

Your going to be old one day!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

cheeryguy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 18):
My vote goes for AA. Having flown both my next trip I specifically chose AA over BA. IMO AA offer a better service because I found they had

-the IFE better with a wider choice of films
-better seat pitch
-cleaner aircraft
-food was nice (and more plentiful than BA)
-Better soft drinks service which came around more often than on BA

Having just flown AA 777 from JFK to LHR I could only find 5 movies and a total of 10 channels on my PVT. BA has up to 18 depending if the aircraft has GMIS or Rockwell IFE ( Rockwell on most hulls ) seat pitch was great but as I was sat in the middle of a row of 5 it was just as well. The FA's were OK but just going through the motions. The food and presentation was not up to the standard of BA, the passes of drinks did not seem to come more often than BA (flew over to the USA on BA ) I would have to say that BA got my vote on this trip.