Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa777jr
Topic Author

Please Get Rid Of Carry-on Baggage!

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:54 am

I hope I'm not the only annoyed passenger that has these sentiments, but I can't stand being held in the isles, even in F class, waiting for people to gather their oversized carry-on, their garment bag, their notebooks, their 3 plastic bags that aren't classified as bags, and their two purses. I would love to fly a carrier that doesn't allow carry-on and added some space to the interior of the plane. Is this possible for the cargo hold of a/c to store all luggage? Comments are welcome.  Smile

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

TrappedinMKG

RE: Please Get Rid Of Carry-on Baggage!

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:58 am

I'm sure it's possible, but since one out of every thousand bags is lost (many of them forever), do you really want to have your laptop and your medications and your company's paperwork and trade secrets "accidentally" rerouted to Siberia? My rule of thumb is that if you can't afford to replace it or can't live without it at your destination, don't check it.

stlgph

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:59 am

I almost heartedly agree with you entirely. Half the time I enjoy flying the regional jets for the fact that everyone gets on and gets off. A lot of times for what I do I end up on day trips back and forth to Chicago. Being able to just get off and go about my way and business would be wonderful, but sometimes you have to stand there while complete morons fumble about. I wouldn't mind a restriction to one carry one item (carry on suitcase) in its entirety. Anything smaller goes underneath the seat in front of you.

As for being able to carry everything underneath the plane, that is doubtful.
Any mechanics out there?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

aa777jr
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:02 am

How about an annoucement upon arrival for all passengers with NO carry-on to exit the plane first, regardless of ticket class. Then if you brought your kitchen sink onboard you can gather it up and roll the oversized baggage down the aisles.

Smile

DIA

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting TrappedInMKG (Reply 1):
I'm sure it's possible, but since one out of every thousand bags is lost (many of them forever), do you really want to have your laptop and your medications and your company's paperwork and trade secrets "accidentally" rerouted to Siberia? My rule of thumb is that if you can't afford to replace it or can't live without it at your destination, don't check it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. True to every word.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

timz

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:06 am

In an accident, with flames around the aircraft, people would still be grabbing their carryons before exiting. And delaying everyone else.

FlyTheFlag

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:07 am

I rarely, if ever, check luggage. At the airports where I normally have my final destination, luggage delivery is slow. Half the time I'm headed to Philadelphia, and you have to be a fool to check luggage into there on even a good day. Most of the time, I can be home by the time luggage would even start coming out on the claim.

I carry a standard size rollaboard and a backpack or briefcase. Well within regulation. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go (but something is wrong with you if you can't go 4-6 days from a rollaboard and backpack) or it gets shipped.

What's wrong with standard allowed carry-ons?
Maybe the problem is lack of enforcement on the part of airline employees.

ckfred

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:10 am

I've said that if the airlines knew then what they know now, they might never have put overhead bins and storage racks on their planes.

You can never eliminate carry-on baggage. People have laptops and briefcases that they need in flight or are concerned about damage or being lost if checked.

Also, since so many people either have a limo waiting, hail a cab, or take a shuttle bus straight to the rental-car lot, they don't want to wait for the bags at the carousel. At ORD and SFO, I often wait anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes for the bags to come off the carousel.

At SEA, I once walked from the end of C, checked out the rental car, and still waited more than 5 minutes for the bags.

bsu747

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:10 am

It is these sort of people who take more than one item as carry on to an aircraft that make the security checks queue's much longer than they should be.
Some people carry everything but the kitchen sink onto a flight and then people moan because they can't put the luggage in the overhead bins because some idiots break the rules.
I also blame the airlines as well for not cracking down on these passengers but I suppose some airlines are grateful for any customers they can get.
Rant over.
BSU747
Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

SBN580

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 3):

This reminds me of one time I flew AW out of BUR to LAS. A young, model, looking lady came on board with a tiny dog in her purse. When the flight attendant told her in no uncertain terms the dog had to be in a carrier or she would not be allowed to fly, the model had a tizzy. A "Well, I never!" kind of attitude. After the "model" headed back to the gate in a huff, I made some comment about what people try to bring on-board planes. I jokingly said, "Yeah, even the kitchen sink." She said with a straight face, "No, hey, I saw it once. Someone did!"
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

qwerty

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:15 am

No carryons is a stupid idea.

Even stupider, but perhaps a better idea, is no children!

Perhaps the compromise:
- If you want to bring a carryon, no kids.
- If you want to bring a kid, no carryon.

Sabena332

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:26 am

Are you serious? I try to travel with carry-on luggage as often as I can because I don't have to wait at the baggage claim after landing.

I need approximately 5 seconds to store my carry-on trolley in the overhead bin, so nobody has to wait behind me.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

gigneil

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:29 am

I carry my luggage because I'm in a hurry.

If I couldn't, I'd be pissed off.

N

PHLBOS

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:29 am

What about cameras? There are signs at nearly every airport stating that the detection devices for checked baggage WILL DAMAGE undeveloped film. In conjunction, there are signs (as well as TSA advisories) regarding keeping one's camera and film in one's carry-on baggage.

The other issue that discourages checking of carry-on baggage is THEFT. Most guides or advisories strongly recommend against placing anything that could be a target for thieves in checked baggage.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Clipper002

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:39 am

Just get assigned a seat in the back of the plane and you won't have anyone blocking because you'll be the first to board.

Ed
Ed

gokmengs

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:51 am

I unde

Quoting FlyTheFlag (Reply 6):

Right on point. Carry on is a great thing but like everything in this world people abuse it to a point that it gets annoying as hell. If airlines enforce the rules and wouldn't allow some wise ass who wouldn't check two LUGGAGES consisting of his full closet, and everyone stays within the limits it won't take years to deplane.
Funny there is a thread going on about how it would take 45 minutes to deplane A380, well it took me almost 25 minutes on NW 737(short hop nobody checks luggages) because not only people would take 5 pieces of annoyingly shaped lugagge but an assortment of shopping bags from variety of department stores(just one passanger has all this I have to add times that by half the plane) with people like that it could take 2-3 hours to deplane A380 Smile
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

lincoln

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:55 am

I trust TSA more than some, but there is absolutely no way I would ever trust my laptop or medication to them... Plus, have you seen the way luggage is loaded on an aircraft? Clothing is one thing, but items of value is a completely different issue. (This is especially true after sharing a bus with a group of TSAers at LAX and listening to what they were bragging about doing to people's luggage).

Also, after having my bags spend an unscheduled weekend in ATL, I'm not especially thrilled about the prospect of not seeing my laptop/meds/other valuables for some indeterminate amount of time... it was bad enough not having fresh clothes for 36 hours longer than expected.

I'm all for strictly enforcing the "One Carry-on" limit and changing it from "One Carry-On and one small personal item" to "One Carry-On or one personal item"...

That being said, I have exactly one carry on: It has my laptop, medication, and chargers for my laptop and cell phone-- it goes under the seat in front of (or next to and in front of  ) me. Everything else gets checked (in, usually, one medium-sized bag). I'm also rarely in a hurry to be the first one off the flight, though... Only with tight connections.

Lincoln

[Edited 2005-03-23 21:01:03]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

DouglasDC10

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 3):
How about an annoucement upon arrival for all passengers with NO carry-on to exit the plane first, regardless of ticket class. Then if you brought your kitchen sink onboard you can gather it up and roll the oversized baggage down the aisles.

Quoting Clipper002 (Reply 14):
Just get assigned a seat in the back of the plane and you won't have anyone blocking because you'll be the first to board.

Most passengers don't even understand boarding by seat rows (unfortunately, I see this every day). So I don't think that deboarding by carry-on-bags / no carry-on-bags will work.

Airlines which have free seating on their aircraft are a lot faster with boarding as passengers want to get "their" seats as soon as possible. Normally, boarding on a Ryanair 737-800 in LBC is completed in less than 15 minutes while a Hapag-Lloyd 737-800 takes almost half an hour. Perhaps, more airlines should have free seating for faster boarding.

And if you want to see people bringing their kitchen sink on board, just try to get on a turkish charter flight (Pegasus, Atlasjet, Freebird, ...) from western Europe to Turkey or on any other of so-called "ethnic charters". You will be amused when you see their carry-on-bags.

Xkorpyoh

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:01 am

I take my carry-on because airlines loose bags. I have an approved carry-on size (for US standards) and that is all i take for a weekend, for a week, for a month. no more no less. I think it is ridiculous to check in luggage. People need to learn to pack accordingly. I learned not to overpack. I think the airlines save money with less checked bags. less handlers and less chances of spending money in compesation for lost luggages, etc.

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:04 am

I carry-on a roller bag when on a short trip, along with a slim laptop bag with my computer, camera, ticket, meds, etc. in it. One goes in the overhead, and the other under the seat in front of me. Don't see what the problem is about it if it's within the carrier's regs. If not, the roller bag has a TSA lock on it that allows me to gate check it without too much of a worry if it needs to be searched at some point.

I've been on any number of flights that have been delayed due to baggage loading, and even one that returned from the taxiway to the gate to load some bags left behind.

It works both ways. No one's going to be happy with any solution, but it sure makes for a lot of people to whine about!  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

tu154

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:05 am

You're obviously not an airline employee!! believe me, we try, and try again. people just will not part with their luggage.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

norcal

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:05 am

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 9):
This reminds me of one time I flew AW out of BUR to LAS. A young, model, looking lady came on board with a tiny dog in her purse.

If the dog is small enough to fit in a purse than it isn't a dog, it is a groomed rat.

On the subject of this thread though, I think carry on should be allowed. Its great to walk off of an airplane and not have to deal with checked luggage. I do however believe that it should be regulated a lot closer. They used to have those plastic fittings on the front of the xray scanners at airports. If your bag didn't fit through the plastic fitting, then you had check it. What happened to those? Now some people bring the most ridiculous bags on airplanes and try and stuff them into the overhead bins.

FlyTheFlag

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting Tu154 (Reply 20):
You're obviously not an airline employee!! believe me, we try, and try again. people just will not part with their luggage.

You don't have to try. You're the one in authority there. Deny them boarding until they check sufficient bags. It's that simple. I've seen it done before.

ba319-131

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:09 am

If travelling for a week or less, I never carry enough to need to check baggage, one overhead legal samsonite carry-on and the laptop bag, thats it. Hotels have laundry service Smile
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

ContnlEliteCMH

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:23 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 12):
I carry my luggage because I'm in a hurry.

If I couldn't, I'd be pissed off.

Yup yup! I travel every week between CMH and ATL. I don't check any bags -- ever. Why would I? I'm home for a whopping 40 hours each weekend, and then I get back on the plane to do my bidness.

I have two (yep, count 'em --> TWO) laptops in my carry on. A 15" HP, and a 17" monster HP. You're a total buffoon if you think I'm letting either one of these two business-critical pieces of equipment out of my sight. Who of us here doubts that they'd get pilfered by that cottage industry of thieves known as the TSA? I won't even let them out of my sight to put them into the baggage hold via gate check.

My bag is as small as it can be and hold two laptops. It has no wheels, and was designed for only one 15" laptop. It weighs over 30 pounds when loaded. But I keep using that bag because (a) it doesn't have to be gate-checked, and (b) it fits under the port side seats on an ERJ.

I too get hacked off by people who fumble about when deplaning, but making us put all our luggage in the hold is stoooooopid.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

boeingfever777

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:27 am

I mostly agree with the posts on getting rid of carry-ons. Although carrying on a laptop/purse or larger personal bag like a backpack is not too bad. I just hate all the larger suitcases and odd items ppl bring.

1.) slow boarding process.
2.) Are to big for overhead bins to begin with most times.
3.) Make it a head-ache when the item does not fit and have to call ramper to come up and get the bag and check it into the cargo hold.
4.) Slow de-boarding process greatly too.

All these reasons I have listed I have seen occur numerous times.

When I land I want to go right to the exit and head to the carousel to claim my bag and get going.

What about taxing a carry-on? Maybe pay for the higher security fees now.

[Edited 2005-03-23 21:32:16]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

jsnww81

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:47 am

Gigneil and ContlEliteCMH - I don't think you're the type of "carryon passenger" that gets under everyone's skin. You said yourself that you've bought slimmed down bags that hold everything compactly and stow easily. As frequent travelers, you're familiar enough with the aircraft to get your bag on and off quickly and with little muss. In short, you're not the issue at all.

The problem that I see is inconsistent enforcement by the airlines and security staff. Some employees simply look the other way and let passengers drag full-size suitcases, strollers, hatboxes, et al on the plane. That's where I think a lot of the frustration comes from.

Before 9/11, I remember the steel "templates" that United and a few other airlines installed over the "mouths" of the screening machines. They were sized such that oversized baggage could not pass through - anybody who tried to put one on the belt had to take it back to the check-in counter. I thought these were GREAT, but I don't recall seeing them in a few years. Are they still in use?

FLY2LIM

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting Qwerty (Reply 10):
No carryons is a stupid idea.

Even stupider, but perhaps a better idea, is no children!

Perhaps the compromise:
- If you want to bring a carryon, no kids.
- If you want to bring a kid, no carryon.

Even stupider is the fact that you consider the above a "compromise".

I gather that neither Aa777jr nor Qwerty have children. If they did, they'd realize that children mean carryons. They would also realize that not everyone is a young, hip attorney who just wants to get to his/her destination.
When my wife and I travel with the girls, we have approximately six carryons for the four of us. If we didn't have them for our flights to LIM, other pax would me MISERABLE because our girls would not have their coloring books, snacks, DVDs, CD players, and all the other things that keep them entertained in flight. People usually commends us because our kids are so well behaved. You can partly thank their carryons for that.
Now, going away from my family, there are a couple of things that Aa777jr has not considered. I call it the "Southwest effect". On WN, I notice that most people carry everything they have with them so they don't have to check it and get out of the airport ASAP. This is not limited to WN, but many of WN's routes are short hops and people just take limited amounts of luggage. I don't think I've ever checked luggage on WN.
Another factor to consider. As airlines begin to get tighter with the luggage requirements, people will feel pressure to carry more stuff on the plane to avoid paying extra for the luggage they have in the plane's belly. Think about it. If people were allowed to carry 100 lbs. on a bag, they would check most of the crap they carry on board.
Of course, there is no way I'll ever check a laptop, video camera, personal documents, toiletries, or anything of value, especially now that you are not allowed to lock your luggage.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

22right

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Thread starter):
would love to fly a carrier that doesn't allow carry-on and added some space to the interior of the plane. Is this possible for the cargo hold of a/c to store all luggage? Comments are welcome.

Since comments are welcome, please dont mind me when I say: did you come up with this dumb idea all by yourself or did you have some help??

For your information, more than 90% of flights I take are on business. And on most of those flights, I actually work on my laptop for a significant duration of the flight. Spending hours sitting around with nothing to do except stare out the window/or stare down the aisle is NOT appealing to me or to the hordes of business travelers who fly every day. We have a legitimate need to be able to carry on a laptop case on the airplane.

I fully understand the need to enforce strict restrictions on the number and size of carryon bags each person can bring aboard. But eliminating carry-ons altogether is asinine!!
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

CM767

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:04 am

I have not checked bags for more than a year, since AC have lost my bag for over two weeks and AA has "delayed" my bags on several occasions. For a while I worked as a janitor on an airport and I remember how the bags got treated, that alone should have thought me to never check bags in the first place. (Have you ever seen a bag fell down from a DC-10?  Smile )

I have to apologize if you are delayed by 2 seconds when I take my only carry-on bag from the overhead bin , but in that way there is more space on the crowded carousel for you!. I learned the hard way to pack light and use one carry-on item as AA demands, for my computer and clothes for up to two weeks.

I agree that excess carry-on has to be stopped, is not fair that some passengers take the whole plane for themselves, but banning carry-on altogether is not practical.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

airbazar

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:10 am

Carry-on allowance in the US is just too liberal. Unfortunatelly the biggest offenders are the people who pay the most so airlines will never do anything about it. There's no excuse for people to take their entire house onboard. A laptop and some important documents, it's acceptable. Your one week worth of dirty laundry is not! It's extremely selfish of you to incovenience dozens and sometimes hundreds of people just so you can be assured of not losing your precious cargo. Imagine the chaos if everyone onboard was as selfish as yourself.

22right

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:15 am

I would love to fly a carrier that doesn't allow carry-on and added some space to the interior of the plane.

How exactly do you propose to convert empty overhead bins into extra space for passengers????  Confused
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

Pope

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:24 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 30):
Unfortunatelly the biggest offenders are the people who pay the most so airlines will never do anything about it

I disagree. I think the biggest offenders are the travel neophytes, families and infrequent travellers. Road warriors know how to pack lightly. I can travel internationally for up to about a week with only a 22 in rollaboard and a laptop case..

I for one think that your carryon allowance should be proportional to your FF status. Someone without any status should be limited to just one bag that fits under the seat in front of them. The airline could issue some sort of sticker that a bag in the overhead would need. Any bag found without a sticker would be subject to removal and placement in the cargo hold.

An airline who implemented this sort of program could build a pretty substantial loyalty base from FF because not having enough overhead space for their bags is one of the biggest gripes. Make FF status mean something.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

vs25

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:26 am

I rarely check luggage because I rarely have more than a shoulder bag or a small trolley bag. I was really annoyed with one of the Virgin staff at JFK once when they told me I had to check my regulation size trolley because it was overweight. It was overweight because my T4 Powerbook was in it. Took the laptop out and it was fine, but no, it was still going in the hold. No argument from me, I just walked into the Clubhouse and on the plane with my laptop (and nothing else) in hand  Smile

I do get annoyed by those people who take excess on board, particularly if they can't put it into the bins themselves. An old lady was struggling to put a trolley bag into the overheads one day, and I offered to help her. There's no way she should have been allowed on with that bag. It was oversize and overweight... and she couldn't lift it. I'm happy to make an exception with people with kids, but rules are rules, and I have to say this, but my American friends are the worst culprits here, but maybe that's because I hear you all complaining about lost baggage and the TSA so much.

I've heard reports about the TSA helping themselves to the contents of bags. This is disgraceful. Especially from a govt organisation. I have never lost a bag. I've only had two bags misplaced (BA and BMI) and both of those were couriered to my door within 24 hours.

FLY2LIM

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting Vs25 (Reply 33):
I've heard reports about the TSA helping themselves to the contents of bags. This is disgraceful. Especially from a govt organisation. I have never lost a bag. I've only had two bags misplaced (BA and BMI) and both of those were couriered to my door within 24 hours.

Probably off topic but somewhat relevant. I recall one time when AA misplaced my luggage. I landed (IIRC) at SJC and was told to go home to Santa Cruz (approx 30 miles, one way) and that my bags would be sent to me. They arrived a few hours later BY TAXI. I have to think that this cost AA quite a bit, even if they have a "deal" with the taxi driver. I imagine that this cost them at least 40-50 dollars, or perhaps more.
And we wonder why they lose money ...
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

VSlover

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:38 am

but I can't stand being held in the isles, even in F class, waiting for people to gather their oversized carry-on, their garment bag, their notebooks, their 3 plastic bags that aren't classified as bags, and their two purses.

this is the most asinine thread i have read in hours.

if you have such a problem waiting in line, then either board with your priority group (traveling in F--sometimes/rarely do i get held up in the aisle; or with your FF group boarding--plats and exec plats) or wait in the lounge--or if no lounge access then wait at the gate.

whats the hurry if you apparently have no carry on bags yourself which would only cause delays for everyone else when you put it in to the overhead.

and it is true that the most seasoned travelers generally have a streamlined method of packing that would only cause more stress and unecessary time lost if those bags were checked.

for the record, i havent checked anything in years except for the occasional 10day+ trip.

jafa39

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:49 am

I fly Air NZ regularly, they have the bag templates at the departure gate and although they try to be flexible they won't let you take majorly oversized carry-ons on board but they are really good about not charging for the odd kg or so excess on checked baggage which probably helps.

Maybe this is a bigger problem in the US than NZ where we are less demanding of our "rights as an individual" so tend to be prepared to comply with restrictions, or are our FA's just scary???.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

777STL

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:11 am

I think AA777jr has a point. I actually enjoy flying on RJs because I don't have to wait for people to fumble about with their carry on luggage. Get on and get off, it's quite easy.

Though it's not so much carry on luggage that bothers me, it's the people who immeadiately spring up after landing and start grabbing their carry ons and then proceed to bolt to the front of the cabin. Those are the people who bother me.
PHX based

AAgent

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:18 am

Obviously some travelers don't travel with children, important business equipment and/or documents, or important medical equipment and/or medications. Any one or more of these COMMON (but by no means all inclusive) scenarios practically requires one to bring aboard carry on luggage. Hence it would be quite impossible to impose a no carry on policy if one expects to remain a viable airline. Even the most loyal of customers would be off to another carrier after their first experience with such a restrictive policy. No carry on luggage? No way!

Regards,
AAgent
War Eagle!

EnviroTO

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 am

I check everything I can but checking valuables doesn't seem very smart to me. Laptops, cameras, and important documents should be carried on. I check everything I can so that I don't have to worry about rolling or carrying it all over the airports. It is amazing how much less stressful it is to not rush to be the first person on the plane because you are concerned about getting luggage bin space near your seat. I actually sit in the lounge or a restaurant until virtually everyone has borded so I don't have to wait in the line-ups. I used to be Exec Platinum so I devised my whole mentality of flying to reduce stress since I was on 4-6 flights per week and in the "mad rush mode" that most air travellers employ it would drive me insane. I keep some basics in my laptop bag (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, pyjamas) just in case. In the four years I was Exec Platinum I never completely lost luggage but once every few months bags were missing and delivered in the next day or two with the worst situation being 4 days. After 2 days the airlines would give some money to buy some clothes and toiletries. I spent many nights in hotels in Dallas and Chicago due to weather cancellations and delays and having the pyjamas and basics was useful.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:23 am

How about just reminding passengers to not be ignorant f#@ks when stowing their overhead luggage and step INTO the row of seats to do their business? How bout something like "Welcome aboard fligh 9384 to XYZ, please don't be the a$$hole that holds everyone up in the aisle by blocking the way while stowing your overhead luggage".

It's really a lesson for life...don't hold up everyone else when you can just as easily let them pass while sorting out your problems.
I don't take responsibility at all

yukimizake

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 35):
this is the most asinine thread i have read in hours.

Agreed. How often does your checked luggage arrive at the baggage carousels before you do? By having no carry on luggage you may save a few minutes on the plane but you won't be leaving the airport any faster.

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 35):
whats the hurry if you apparently have no carry on bags yourself which would only cause delays for everyone else when you put it in to the overhead.

Because carry on luggage should be reserved only for those flying first class on buddy passes?  Smile

aa777jr
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 am

I propose a luggage tax. We get taxed for everything else already. Charge me $5 for every piece of luggage I choose to carry-on. I'd gladly pay so AA can bring back food to all classes or complimentary pillows and keep MRTC!

Regards.

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 43):
Charge me $5 for every piece of luggage I choose to carry-on.

You may just get your way. AA has reduced the checked baggage allotment to 2 bags weighing 70 lbs. each to 2 bags weighing 50 lbs. each for most international markets applicable to tickets purchased after March 1, 2005, and charging something like $25 each for the overweight bags up to 70 lbs.

So luggage fees to pay for BOB meals they already charge for, or to bring back skanky pillows in coach? MRTC? Why not just charge a reasonable ticket fee in the first place, or fly UA Econ+.

Cheers.

aa777jr
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting 22right (Reply 31):
How exactly do you propose to convert empty overhead bins into extra space for passengers???? Confused

I never said to convert the overhead space for passengers, I said just for more space of the interior of the plane. You took my quote out of context.  Sad

I don't have a problem with a notebook bag or a purse with medications in it. The little specifics of the above members are just a reason to try and bash me. I'm not talking about being a "plane nazi" and not allowing a woman to carry her purse on board or a gentlemen with his briefcase or any person on business that requires just a notebook for work. Just tired of the garment bags falling out into the aisles and people with carry-on wider than the freaking aisle itself.

It was not my intention to include any members that posted on this topic as subjects. I am sure everyone that is a member of this website is obviously a fan of aviation and is one step ahead of most travelers when it comes to carry-on luggage.

Thanks for the comments.  Smile

L-188

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:11 am

You know you go back to the airplanes in the 1950's and 60's and all you had up there was a hat-rack.

There is some merit to what you want, but I think that anybody who has had a bag destroyed by an airlines knows why they would want to not have their camera/computer, what-have-you checked in.

Frankly I think the answer is to base ticket prices on the total weight of the passenget + baggage....all of it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

aa777jr
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:22 am

I'm being totally honest here when I say, I've never lost a bag or had one even damaged. I understand my bags receive normal wear and tear when they are transported.

Is it seriously a consistent problem with lost and damaged bags? I understand there are isolated circumstances that will find a bag lost or damaged. It's 2005, the airlines should be doing a better job if they aren't already getting a bag to it's final destination.

Using the US Air snafu or the problems UA had at DEN aren't a good example either, IMHO.

Regards.

PHLBOS

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:27 am

Here's the upshoot on transporting film from TSA's own website.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198004a860

Here's a couple of quotes from the site:

WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

You should remove all film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage.

[Edited 2005-03-24 00:28:56]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Silver1SWA

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 am

Seriously, it's no joke...on an airline like WN, having to check bags at the gate at the last minute is the #1 culprit for delays IMO. There is nothing more agitating as a ramper to have to walk 5, 10, 15 sometimes up to 20 bags from the jetway to the aircraft at the time we are scheduled to push.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.