Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gilesdavies
Topic Author

NYC-SFO/OAK-Mainline Or LCC (Please Help A Brit!)

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:05 am

Happy Independence Day to all our US A.netters and I need your help!

I have my flights booked with US Airways to visit NYC in September have changed my planned itinary slightly and want to go over to San Francisco for a few days and see some friends.

The market between NYC and the bay area seems to be very hotly contested between all the carriers that fly the route.

I have typed into Expedia.co.uk requesting flights to OAK/SFO and OAK is coming out about £60 cheaper ($100 USD) for a return flight even with the mainline carriers as they are the only airlines that sell such seats on Expedia. But the flights are via Atlanta with Delta and Denver with United. Which eats into your precious travelling time when only there for a few day. With United will I earn US Airways Dividend Miles if I choose this service?

I have started investigating the likes of Jet Blue and Song they are a little more expensive than the flights with the mainline carriers to OAK but are direct which is good and also cheaper than direct mainline fares to SFO. I have also seen competitive fares with Southwest but have to change at Midway.

Please bare in mind I am not familiar with the US LCC and just wanted to know what I can expect. The last thing I want on a 5-6hr flight is no IFE and crappy seat pitch, which is what I am use to with the likes of easyJet and Ryanair but flights are only 2-3hrs long in Europe!

I am very tempted to go with the Song option as they advertise their Satellite PTV's but when I go to check the flights they have a * and say "operated by Delta", which I assume then means I am on a Delta Aircraft with no IFE! If I choose the Jet Blue option I fly into OAK and not familiar with this airport. - Is it easy to get into Downtown San Francisco via public transport or Super Shuttle?

I have asked so many questions and confused myself - What is the best option or has anyone else got any other good suggestions?

luv2fly

RE: NYC-SFO/OAK-Mainline Or LCC (Please Help A Bri

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:11 am

It is easy to get from OAK to downtown SFO! Also B6 has PTV's, leather seats that are pre reserved, no fee and free snacks as well as soft drinks, juices teas and coffees.
You can cut the irony with a knife

DeltaMIA

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:12 am

If it is a Song flight then it will have the satellite TV. For legality reasons Song is required to say "operated by Delta" as the flights are operating on the DL certificate.

Direct is definitely better as we have a big continent over here. You can fly nonstop in 5-6 hours or stop and extend the trip upwards of 7-8 hours.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

dartland

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:26 am

If you want the most comfortable flight, go with Song. By far the best IFE (on 100% of Song flights -- satellite TV, movies, games, and an MP3 collection where you build your own songlist, all on your PTV, plus truly edible buy-on-board food options) and comfortable 752s for the 5-hour flight.

If you want the cheapest, then probably mainline to OAK w/ a stopover. Mind you delays can be problematic depending on time of year -- if it's a quick jaunt, one missed connection can really eat into your time in San Fran.

I'd pay a little more for Song if you can swing it.

N77014

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:37 am

OAK: Located on the East Bay, it is a smaller airport that can suffer overcrowding, especially in the T-1 where Jetblue is. It offers a bus link to the BART station for light rail travel to San Francisco and beyond. It does offer huge plate windows offering spectacular views of The City, bay, and SFO arrivals. Its small size means faster exiting upon arrival, especially if you have a driver receiving you. With mostly Southwest and Jetblue, spotting can be limited.

SFO: Now easier to get to with a BART station adjacent to the international terminal. Its large size and layout mean lots of walking to get from BART-ticket counter-departure gate. Great variety of aircraft to spot.

JFK-SFO: Song is a Delta sub-brand; it is specially painted and attired planes and crews offering satellite TV on B757 in an upgraded, all economy layout.

EWR-SFO: Continental is a standard legacy carrier economy product that feature flip down overhead screens on B757 and B738 and B73G aircraft. Bring your own headset and adaptor to avoid the $5 charge. On occasion, a B762 will do the route and you will enjoy multichannel viewing on seatback videoscreens. Expect a hot meal at no additional charge.

JFK-OAK: Jetblue offers A320 service with leather seats, DirecTV, and snacks instead of meals in an upgraded economy product.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

MCMAHONSMR

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:37 am

Gilesdavies:
If you go with likes of jetBlue or Song you are sure to be pleasantly surprised. I used to live in Ireland so I've tried the European LCCs . . . I've been on GO and FR. Obviously, I've been on EI pre-LCC days.

Last year I tried Song on JFK-LAS and it was a delightful experience. The JFK T2 facility is pretty dreary but once on board everthing was great. Beware, if your eyes are sensitive to bright colors song's lime green, blue and orange seats might be a bit much. In typical fashion meals are bring your own or buy on board. Coffee, tea, and soft drinks are all free of charge. The Satellite TV definitely passed the time, and they have several channels of good digital music. There is also an interactive trivia game that lets you compete against your fellow passengers.

I have yet to try jetBlue only because my first preference is carrier, and I am a loyal AA flyer. Depending on the market I'll fly song because song flights are eligible for Skymiles. That said, the majority of my family are happy to fly jetBlue and have yet to be dissatisfied. Although, lately I understand that their fares have been somewhat on the high side.

My recommendation is to try jetBlue or Song . . . .

B742

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:37 am

If I was you I would choose to fly either on Song (SFO + JFK) or American (SFO-JFK)

Why not try SJC-EWR/JFK!

Here's your non-stop options:

JetBlue
SJC-JFK ~ 320
OAK-JFK ~ 320

Continental
SJC-EWR ~ 73G
SFO-EWR ~ 738, 757

United
SFO-EWR ~ 320, 752
SFO-JFK ~ 752

American Airlines
SFO-JFK ~ 763, 762

Song
SFO-JFK ~ 752

I'm surprised that AA doesn't offer non-stop services from SJC to JFK!

Rob!

MKEdude

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:21 am

I would recommend Jet Blue, the level of service is superior to that of mainline carriers. As for Song, I have never flown them, but I understand they can switch out with a Delta aircraft on any route, no leather no PTVs, not what you want.

As for Southwest...If you like Greyhound, you'll love Southwest! Seriously, Southwest can be great for short hops, but you definitely do not want to fly them transcon! 4-5 hours aboard a Southwest plane is actually a violation of the Geneva Convention. Wait, we don't follow the Geneva Convention...sorry, on your own there.  biggrin 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

jacobin777

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:35 am

B742 got it right, expect unless you take Caltrain, its a bit expensive to get to San Francisco from SJC....Caltrain is a pain in the bum..but if you get a friend to pick you up then SJC is a good place also...

AA JFK-SFO isn't a bad trip, the seating (though no longer MRTC) are still comfortable...you won't get too much in terms of entertainment (no PTV), but you will get a movie....

also, if you HAVE to make a stop over somewhere, make sure its either @ ORD/MDW because those airports are basically "along the way" from JFK/EWR to SFO/OAK/SJC...and you will be able to get many flights with many carriers...especially from ORD....

however, make sure you don't have to transfer airports...that would be terrible (not that its hard, but its time consuming)

I've never tried Song/B6 so I can't give an honest opinion about them..

I've flown AA/UA transcon..and both are good.......nothing special, but not you won't feel "crammed in" either..
"Up the Irons!"

LGAtoIND

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:58 am

Definetly go with jetBlue. I flew JFK-OAK-JFK a few weeks ago with B6, and the great snacks and PTVs really make the 6 hours in the air "fly" by! Also, the flight attendants are by far the most friendly in the industry, IMHO.

JBLUA320

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:02 am

jetBlue all the way! Customer service can't be beat and its definately worth a little more. Unlike song, if you fly jetBlue, you'll always get a jetBlue aircraft. It was said earlier- but song frequently swaps out mainline planes when song planes go in for maintenence- thus, the product isn't delivered at all.

Take jetBlue. Maybe they don't have the fanciest IFE, but if customer service means more to you than one PTV system vs another, you won't be making the wrong choice!

JBLU

Skymonster

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:27 am

Why not go for the direct UA JFK-SFO-JFK flights which are operated with the PS 757s - E+ seating through the coach cabin gives the best leg room of any carrier.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

atrude777

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:52 am

Checking Southwest ill assume ur flying out of ISP, thru MDW is a nice airport, and ud get 737-700's with winglets most likely. the seat pitch on WN is 33 inches, and you get great service, and a snack pack on the MDW flight, and ISP-MDW i assume snack something too.

SONG is yes a SONG flight, as someone said Delta certficicate required to say flonwn by Delta. but it IS a SONG plane.

go with the price!
Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

bayareapilot

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:05 am

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 11):
Why not go for the direct UA JFK-SFO-JFK flights which are operated with the PS 757s - E+ seating through the coach cabin gives the best leg room of any carrier.

Agreed. Not to mention meal service and AC outlets.

Plus the OP will be able to get US Airways miles for flying United. Of course everyone values miles differently, but I couldn't see flying transcon and forgoing the option to earn miles in a decent frequent flyer program. In the last year I've used United miles to get two business class rountrips on United to Asia and a first class roundtrip within Asia on Singapore. Sorry to say but you're just not going to be able to do that flying JetBlue or Southwest.

1MillionFlyer

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:09 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 12):
Checking Southwest ill assume ur flying out of ISP, thru MDW is a nice airport,

Nope, ATA code share from LGA to MDW then onto Wn iron most likey.

Everyone keeps forgetting about the WN /ATA code share.

I heard a page the other day at BNA "will Southwest Passanger XXX traveling to Honululu please check with a Southwest representative."

That was a funy thing to hear.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

INNflight

Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:22 am

I'm very curious why nobody brought up FRONTIER yet?!

LGA-DEN-SFO would be the way to go!  Wink

Denver is almost directly lined up between SanFran and New York so no need for taking time consuming connections in other corners of the USA like ATL. Also FR does fly directly into SFO, so no need to fly to OAK which is further out.

All 4 flights are operated with relatively new A319s... Just had a quick search with Sept. dates. All legs return are about 310 USD! Not too bad if you ask me?

cheers,
Florian

[Edited 2005-07-04 23:28:08]
Jet Visuals

atrude777

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 pm

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 14):

Nope, ATA code share from LGA to MDW then onto Wn iron most likey.

No I certainly didn't forget I am a huge Southwest fan and flyer. I assumed out of ISP because he didn't mention the ATA codeshare. I still stand by that MDW is a nice airport to connect in, Iv only flown into and out on SWA, from STL.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

jetblueatjfk

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:24 am

Well if you want more room then you can try UA JFK-SFO-JFK because it has a more legroom, etc...

But otherwise I would choose B6 for sure. They have comfy leather seats, the snacks (Blue Chips and alot of other good snacks, some excellent) and the A320 is a clean and a nice ride. The F/A's are some of the best out there, very friendly and well trained. For PTV's, jetBlue has 36 channels of DirecTV (Big Satellite Company here) and FOX On Demand Movies. Song only has 24 Channels but it has some music (My brother flew it and he said the song choices weren't all that great-and he likes all different kinds of music) so in my opinion and on facts I fell jetBlue comes out with a better overall product. And it isn't to "flashy" (lol funny word) so no hurting your eyes with bright colors, and I have seen some times they have swapped in Delta Aircrafts on the routes so I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Go jetBlue and get an overall better trip!
 airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane