Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nycfuturepilot
Topic Author

How's The University Of Illinois Aviation Program?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:40 pm

I'm thinking about applying to the University of Illinois as a Business major but noticed that they have a "Professional Pilot" major and if I go i would definitely want to do both as a double major (anyone know if i can do this?) Anyway, I just wanted to see what everyone knows and thinks about the flying program at UIUC.

Thanks in advance!
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

stlgph

RE: How's The University Of Illinois Aviation Prog

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:53 pm

I had a friend that did the program, graduated, got hired with a transport company and then after a few years time, she found a job at Mesaba and is now flying the jets at Federal Express.

At the time she went, you could NOT major in Aviation, but you could take the full program in addition to another major. She majored in Spanish. She spoke high and mighty of her time at the program and of her time in Champaign. And being from that neck of the woods, I can attest to enjoying my time spent in Champaign and Urbana, too.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LambertMan

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:17 pm

It's a good school, but the aviation school is merely ok. In reality, SIUC and Lewis (small) are better pure aviation schools. They certainly don't offer an equivalent business aspect, but worth looking at. And as noted before, Illinois is a really good time esp. for youngens considering the bars are 19.

777STL

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Hard to get into and dangerously expensive. Of course, if you're smart and have scholarships, then that doesn't apply to you. There are cheaper, just as effective ways to go though.

If you're looking into that area, you might also want to look at Parks(Saint Louis University). They have a great program. SIUC isn't bad either.
PHX based

stlgph

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:50 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 2):
And as noted before, Illinois is a really good time esp. for youngens considering the bars are 19.

tip most of the door guys an extra $5 and you'll be drinking before you're 17.

trust me on this...

if you really want a 'college atmosphere' with a lot going on, then i recommend UIUC. if you want to keep the big city feel, then i recommend he look at Parks. SIUC is just too much in the middle of nowhere. St. Louis is great and Champaign is faboo. oh the memories....

wdleiser

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 2):
It's a good school, but the aviation school is merely ok. In reality, SIUC and Lewis (small) are better pure aviation schools. They certainly don't offer an equivalent business aspect, but worth looking at. And as noted before, Illinois is a really good time esp. for youngens considering the bars are 19.

Are you talking about drinking age?
Because 21 is the legal drinking age in EVERY state. Any state refusing to comply does not get highway money.

I am thinking about going to Auburn and joining their flight program. I just sent my application last week and I am sending my Embry Riddle application this week.

bayareapilot

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 5):
Are you talking about drinking age?
Because 21 is the legal drinking age in EVERY state. Any state refusing to comply does not get highway money.

It's 19 to get in, 21 to drink (wink, wink).

wdleiser

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:34 pm

ooo here in texas its 18 to get into a bar ( i get in anyways and i am only 17). but still 21 to drink. Can't wait til my trip to germany in december *wink wink*

MarshalN

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:19 pm

Or just drive down to Mexico

stlgph

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:42 pm

or just tip that guy that extra $5 like i told you.

also, speaking of aviation schools, check out Purdue in Lafayette/West Lafayette.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:47 pm

And if you have scholarships+grants like me go to Riddle.

Except that im transfering out this may...oh wait did i just say that?

posti

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Go to Purdue, it's a fun school where you can get a first rate aviation education and still have the full college experience. We don't have a business school but the Krannert School of Management is supposedly one of the best around. Be warned though, both Purdue and U of I have large and sometimes overbearing greek systems and are located in the middle of nowhere.

The best thing I can say about Purdue's Aviation program is based on the school's reputation you can graduate with a 2.7 GPA and still land a great job fresh out of school, like I did.
MKE via RAC, LAF, VRN, SEA, and LGW

malaysia

Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:53 pm

Quoting Posti (Reply 11):
you can graduate with a 2.7 GPA and still land a great job fresh out of school,

My GPA was 3.0 and I didnt even land a great job yet out of school, I guess my aviation program was not so good. ASU etc.

I was accepted into UIUC aeronautical engineering program, but I did not take the chance, cause I dont like living in the cornfields and I prefered the nice weather in Tempe.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

DTManiac

Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:24 pm

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 7):
Can't wait til my trip to germany in december *wink wink*

Have fun and get wasted. 16 years is enough here for the purchase and consumption of beer.

Regards

Frederik
Gig 'em Aggies!!!