[email protected]
Topic Author

Puntuality And Reliability - Your Flights

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Needless to say, punctuality and reliability are essential considerations for all airlines, but perhaps especially those more business-orientated. So, in your experience:

1) What has been the longest you've been delayed?
2) Have you had a flight cancelled?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Emirates Skies

RE: Puntuality And Reliability - Your Flights

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:17 pm

1) KLM from GUA to AMS (via MEX)... 24-hour delay due to a cancelled flight the day before, and on the day I was supposed to travel, the flight was overbooked. As a result, I missed my onward connection. This resulted in me being stuck in AMS for 24 hrs instead of proceeding straight to my destination. At the end, I arrived at my final destination 48 hrs late. KLM provided me with transfers and accomodation in AMS, but when I complained about this, I got nothing (no compensation, just an apologetic letter). I was put off KLM by this.

2) Emirates from DXB to MLA in April 2003. I am very pleased with the way that they handled it. They put us on the EK DXB-ZRH flight, and KM flight from ZRH to MLA, they gave us meal vouchers to use at the restaurant at the gate in ZRH during the 2-hour or so transit, and I was impressed in the sense that it went beyond my expectations. I did not feel I had to complain.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

Emirates Skies

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:19 pm

We got no meal vouchers from KLM; accommodation was room-only in a cheap hotel in downtown AMS.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

gkirk

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:25 pm

1) 7 hours in TFS waiting for a MON AB6 flight to MAN - Plane had been stuck in Florida due storms
2) No
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

BestWestern

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
Needless to say, punctuality and reliability are essential considerations for all airlines, but perhaps especially those more business-orientated. So, in your experience:

Apart from my 30 minute delay every monday morning with BD (due heathrow slots) I've been quite lucky with delays of late - last major delay was four hours in Gatwick stuck on a DL MD11. Lucky I like those aircraft, and had a exit row.

That BD flight is padded so much that it usually arrives on time
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ehho

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:32 pm

1 and 2).
Most recent experience involves both: delay and cancellation. Was ticketed on UA YYZ-ORD-AMS on October 29 2004. The B735 UA Shuttle to ORD never took off, and the flight was cancelled after a few hours of desperate repairs. After waiting for almost an hour in a queue, the over-stressed yet nice UA gate agent rebooked me on AC YYZ-FRA-AMS. I still had to proceed to the UA ticketing counter at T2 to have my ticket/BP re-issued. And now the appalling part: it was really difficult to get meal vouchers (the delay being 7+ hours). The UA ticketing desk never offered them, and upon my friendly request was reluctant to give them. After finally receiving them, most food places at the new international terminal were refusing to accept them. Finally, one of the joints took them, with the waiting lady saying something like "well, I'm afraid I'll have to pay for that myself".

Anyway, upon arrival in FRA we had a delay of about 1.5 hour, making me miss my LH connection to AMS. The nice lady at the AC service desk did give me a meal voucher, but only upon my request.

Ask for it or die starving!
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:06 pm

I have only had one flight cancelled, and that was with FR. But it wasn't its fault: it was due to the French ATC strike. So, we got off the aircraft - we were kept informed by the captain - and were taken to the FR desk at which we were given a refund form to fill in and send off. I didn't bother to do this - the flight from STN to REU was only £14 all-in - so FR has got some of my money (without me getting anything in return) and kept my taxes. I was in quite a bad mood, but hey-ho.  Smile
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ClassicLover

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Never had a flight cancelled.

Delayed, sure... longest was a 5:20pm departure from St. Petersburg on British Airways. We took off at 10:00pm, so a shade under a 5 hour delay.

BA put us all into a hotel for the night, and rebooked our missed connections. Very nice of them! Considering Heathrow was closed when we arrived at 11:30pm or so, it was really all they could do.

Trent.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Tifoso

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Never had a flight cancelled. I've had quite a few delays mostly within 30 minutes to an hour.

My worst experience was an almost 2 hour delay from Chicago to Indianapolis in 2004. This was on Saturday of the F1 weekend. I missed the morning practice session, and just made it in time for Qualifying session 1. Had to rush from the airport to the track though.  Sad

My flight from IND - ORD on Sunday after the race was also delayed because the lavatory was broken. We finally departed without fixing it. But, I enjoyed this delay because the entire set of BMW engineers (including Thiessen) were in my flight, as were mechanics from BAR (Honda), Jaguar (RBR) and McLaren. It was fun talking to them Big grin. Those guys really had to rush to make their European connections at ORD.

At the United checkin lines in IND I took some pictures with Ross Brawn (which as a Tifosi meant I was elated Big grin) and Sam Michael from Williams (or Williams BMW in 2004  Wink).

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 8):
My flight from IND - ORD on Sunday after the race was also delayed because the lavatory was broken. We finally departed without fixing it. But, I enjoyed this delay because the entire set of BMW engineers (including Thiessen) were in my flight, as were mechanics from BAR (Honda), Jaguar (RBR) and McLaren. It was fun talking to them . Those guys really had to rush to make their European connections at ORD.

At the United checkin lines in IND I took some pictures with Ross Brawn (which as a Tifosi meant I was elated ) and Sam Michael from Williams (or Williams BMW in 2004 ).

Nice story.  Smile

I can see it now:

Delays - they're for your benefit.

rotfl 

cornish

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:05 pm

Worst probably my CY flight from LHR-LCA a few years back. Something like 17 hours late. Friday night flight the weekend of Orthodox Easter so full flight of Cypriots wanting to get home for the most important celebration of the year.

The A310 arrived but had tech problems. Couldn't be fixed so we ended up in a hotel overnight about 20 mins from my home.

Next day - utter chaos. Everone back to T1 departures - no news. eventually we get directed down to a far off gate where there is a BA flight to FRA. Everyone back to departures. No news from CY, the station manager nowhere to be seen and he was hanging up or ignoring the BMI staffs calls from the desks (as BMI do the handling for CY).

Eventually he rolls up and the fun starts. Lots of finger poking and angry Cypriots. Result - numerous police called out to quell near riot. total anarchy.

Eventually all calms down and the next problem arises. The plane had got fixed but nobody new where it was. It was supposed to be someowhere around T1 but it wasn't - they had truly lost the plane  Wow! Eventually it was found in a remote parking spot between T2 and T3 (the ones you can see next to the end of T2 through the fence).

Far more entertaining than any episode of Airline, and the holiday seemed dull in comparison after that.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

atco2b

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:39 pm

1) Around 90 mins...bloody FR!
2) Nope
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

ABfemme

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 am

virtually 24 hrs at BHX on A Monarch flight to Greece (plenty of food vouchers didn't make up for the night spent on the lounge floor)

Never had a flight cancelled

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

jafa39

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Longest delay 1.5 hours AKL-LAX-LHR suspect door seal

No cancellations.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Marambio

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Lufthansa FRA-GRU-EZE last year, operated with 744. There was something not working propperly on the cockpit, so we taxied from the gate to the Lufthansa Technik area. Had to wait for about one hour until it was fixed. I believe we took off about two hours after our ETD.

Yes, twice.

- Varig AMS-CDG-GRU in 2004. There had been a snowstorm in Paris, so the aircraft couldn't make it to Amsterdam. All pax were re-routed to London (with BMI) or Frankfurt (with Lufthansa), and then the respective Varig flights to Sao Paulo. I was sent via FRA and even got an upgrade to Business Class!  Smile

- AeroPeru EZE-LIM in the mid 1990s. Aircraft technical problems cancelled the flight. Pax were going to be re-routed via SCL, but we were going to MEX and we would have lost our connection. After about two hours arguing, they finally sent us with UA to MIA and then to MEX.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

TriStar500

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm

1) There have been quite a few incidents with delays of 3-4 hours and one special occasion, where the delay finally reached about 9 hours (see no.2).

2) BCN-AGP in 1999 (while I was already in transfer at BCN as part of a flight from DUS to AGP!): our flight was indefinitely delayed at first and later cancelled (after about 7 hours waiting time). This caused some ugly scenes between passengers and IB ground staff, before finally an MD-87 was pulled out of the hangar in order to take us to AGP at 2 a.m. in the morning.

There have also been several other cancellations before the actual travel date.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

LINATHJNX

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:38 am

1) I had a lot of flight delayed, but they were mostly charters.
In 1988 a VA flight operated with DC10-30 from SDQ to MXP was delayed about 12 hours. They gave us accomodation in a very nice hotel. The same flight from MXP had to make an unscheduled stop in MAD to take meals on board.

Another charter operated by Pegasus from MXP to IST-AYT was delayed for 6 hours. The flight departed at night, arriving at the dawn of the next day.

Going back from Crete to Milan in 1999, the Macedonian 727 left HER bound for ATH with three hours delay. I've lost the connection in ATH to LIN (that day there had been a big earthquake in ATHENS). OA put me on their evening flight to FCO and on an AZ flight to LIN. I arrived at LIN late in the evening instead of the afternoon. No meals provided.

Last year
2 hours delay on ATH-JNX operated by OA. There has been a quarrel between passengers and the crew. It seems that the captain didn't want to board all the luggages. I could not understand because they were speaking only greek. Some people deboarded. Then we departed (with the luggages): the captain only said that the delay was for safety reasons (unspecified).

No reasons were given for all these delays.

2) I had two flights cancelled yesterday (and today a train!) due to heavy snowfall in Milan.
I had to take IG LIN-FCO in the morning; then IG put me on the evening flight but that was cancelled too.
They completely refunded me.

Ciao
Paolo

DesertAir

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 am

My worst nightmare was in Oakland, CA on AA. The 6:00AM 757 flight was cancelled to Dallas. There was was no supervisory personnel present. We were made to stand in lines to only be told that we had to stand in another. I was finally rebooked out of SFO for a noon flight to Miami. They did bus over to SFO. I was booked on the last flight of the day to San Juan, Puerto Rico without a confirmed seat...I had to wait and see. Thankfully, there was an available seat.

ZKSUJ

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:21 am

1-Longest was about 3 hours. The plane broke down so we had to be bussed to another airport to catch another aircraft.
2-Never (not a commercial flight anyway)

aerorobnz

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:08 am

1 hour, it was a delay once we had boarded so it wasn't an issue. That was QF43 back in Oct 1998 on VH-EBS 747-200. I haven't been delayed by more than 30 minutes since, and have had no cancellations..
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

lordanmol

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:26 am

2 hour delay, some engine problem.
No.
I dont really travel alot.

Regards
Anmol Gupta
Hmmmmm....

Demoose

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 am

August 2001, 15 hour delay on Emirates from SIN to DXB. The 777-200 went tech on arrival from Melbourne and I was put up in a hotel for the night. Flight retimed from a 02:30 departure to 17:30 departure so that Emirates could fly in the required part from Dubai. Was unusual as we arrived at the hotel around 5am, and were then served a full breakfast buffet at 1pm in the afternoon before our transfer back to Changi.

The whole journey home was cursed, as my connecting flight to Manchester had an aborted take off at Dubai also due to some ventilation fault!

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky