Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

How Is A Flight On A BAe 146?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:47 am

Seeing that most of them are getting retired I just wanted to know how a flight on a BAe 146 feel. I herd it is a different from most airliners because of where the wing and it's four engines are located.

AirframeAS

RE: How Is A Flight On A BAe 146?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:01 am

I flew on one in 1999 on NW Airlink between DLH-MSP one way. I found the aircraft to be reliable and it was very beautiful....expecially in first when I sat up there as an off-line non-rev. Too bad I didn't get the tail number of the aircraft.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

dangould2000

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:23 am

a few years ago, i flew on a QantasLink BAE 146-300, it was quiet and comfortable, very spacious for such a little a/c, i believe the Aircraft's registration was VH-NJL
Next Flights:- wherever the airline sends me

MaxQ2351

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:30 am

I've flown on them a couple times, and there aren't too many differences on the inside between them or anything else. Though the main differences I remember are, about halfway down the cabin, there is a drop in ceiling height because of the wingbox. Second, I always remember that on a humid day, the air from it's ventilation systems was visable.....so it looked like you were getting gassed or something!! I remember them specifically mentioning that on the PA!!....the standard "this is a normal function of our aircraft"...etc etc. Still looks pretty cool though!! Last, the window shades are split in two. Half comes from the bottom and the other half from the top and they meet in the middle. Those are really the only differences I can remember between them or anything else!!

-Max
The 777-200LR......2 engines 4 longer haul

EI787

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:33 am

I was on a CityJet BAe 146-200 (EI-CWB) last Thursday (April 13th) from CDG to DUB (AF5014).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Balazs Pinter

I found the flight ok.

Configuration was 3-3 in economy and business.

I think that the length of the CDG-DUB route was the limit for travelling in this aircraft. Any longer and I would have started to get uncomfortable.

It's quite a novelty having the wing and engines in a different position than other aircraft!

AzoresLover

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:35 am

I've flown on it 5 times, and I totally love that plane...it's been one of my favorites. I was really sad to see that it was being taken out of service pretty much. No more opportunities to fly one here in the states, I believe.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

MSNtriathlete

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:36 am

They're wonderful to fly on. I fly them with Northwest/Mesaba a lot and will be sad to see them go. More spacious in seat width than most mainline jets, plus they're just so unusual with the high wing and 4 engines...lots of opportunities for interesting photos from both outside and inside the plane. Plus it's strange to land in a plane that size and not hear thrust reversers. The runway performance is amazing, too; it feels as though they can take off and land on a postage stamp. Definitely fly on one if you can before they're extinct.

baguy

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:38 am

On 27/05/05 I flew a BA BHX-MXP on an Avro RJ which is the newer version of the 146. A long flight for that aircraft, and I found it very noisy!

mirrodie

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:39 am

Its a great looking plane, I flew it once in 2001. In fact, I jumpsat on it too, back before 9-11. Great plane. I recommend sitting behind the wing.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

saab2000

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:45 am

At Air Wisconsin we have/had 2x3 seating, so they feel quite spacious. The ride in turbulence is not bad at all. When the flaps retract/extend there is quite a noticable whining noise.

On short segments you won't notice it, but it is not a fast airplane. They cruise in the upper 20's or lower 30's for altitude and go maybe .70-.72 Mach. I think the red line is around .76 mach. But the biggest thing you will notice is the extremely smooth landings. This thing has tremendous gear travel and when extended in flight it looks like a wasp coming in, but on the ground they are very compressed. The landings can be barely noticable sometimes. Sometimes it rolls onto the runway and the transition from flying to not flying is virtually undetectable.

I have been on the jumpseat a few times and ridden in the back countless times. I will miss it for sure and am sorry that British Aerospace shut the line down with the RJX program. Too bad because this plane really fills a niche and was WAY ahead of its time in terms of bridging the gap between small so-called 'regional' planes and so-called 'mainline' planes. In a 2x3 configuration it is very spacious.
smrtrthnu

Knightsofmalta

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:51 am

The coolest thing about the Avros/BAe146 I find is the noise they make when extending and retracting the flaps in flight. It's hard to describe. A bit like a racing car driving past you at close range. So far nobody has been able to explain to me where the sound comes from or rather how it is produced.

As for the experience in the cabin, you're buggered if you're sitting close to the engines because they seriously limit the view. It's okay during the flight cause you're looking down but on the ground you don't see anything at all.

LX operate their aircraft in a 2-3 config, which is rather pleasant, even if the flight is full. LH on the other than, operate their RJ's in a 3-3 config which is rather tight but okay on short flights. Having said that, I once had the misfortune of flying KM from MLA to ZRH when they had the RJ70, which was also operated in a 3-3 config. The flight lasted 2 hours and the best word to describe the experience is agony. As if it wasn't tight enough, KM still offer a traditional tray service on their flights which meant that you ended up sticking your ellbows in your neighbours ribs while trying to cut a rubbery piece of chicken breast with the plastik cuttlery very prone to snapping...

No wonder KM got rid of their RJ so quickly!

HS748

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:00 am

If they're in 2-3 seating configuration they're a great little aircraft, but they just weren't designed for 3-3 and even on short flights it's nothing short of hell!

northstardc4m

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:08 am

Its a fine plane to fly on, but just dont assume comfort is the same as say a 737. It tends to be a bit on the noisy side, and the fuselage feels somewhat narrow, but otherwise, especially in 5 abreast config, its a very nice plane to fly on, and you get some unique views of the engine/wings, including vortices and/or contrails, not to mention it tends to be a very stable aircraft for it's size.

Only real drawback space wise is the wing cuts about 3 rows of overhead space out, and the overheads as a whole tend to be on the small side, however there are alternate stowage areas on some, which makes it not so bad.

Also one very nice thing about the 146 is that it seems to land softer than most other small jetliners (737, DC-9, RJs) but that might just be good luck on the 4-5 flights ive had on the type (all AC connectors, Air Nova, Air BC and Jazz). I miss seeing them, they are always an interesting plane to watch.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

atrude777

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:31 am

I flew it STL-DTW, N523XJ (i think?)

I had an amazing time riding it. I sat in row 13, behind the wing. Take off was very powerful, landing quite smooth. I had a great flight, seat pitch was the same as Southwest Airlines-33.

Service wasn't the best but has nothing to do with the aircraft. It didn't seem to handle turbulence quite well, we had a few ones going to DTW and I had to hold my drink down a couple of times so it would not spill on me.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

noelg

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:54 am

I've flown on a few 146s, namely Buzz STN-CDG-STN and BA BHX-CDG-BHX. My trip report for the latter is here:
BA CitiExpress BHX-CDG-BHX (with Photos - Long!) (by Noelg Feb 9 2004 in Trip Reports)

I love the 146, I think it's a great little aircraft. It climbs like an elevator, you can just see the ground disappearing below you really quickly.

It is true in 3-3 seating they are extremely cramped - the seats are way too narrow and it is really difficult to avoid elbowing your neighbour. They really should fly them in a 2-2 configuration or even a 2-3 more often, but I guess it's just the airlines trying to make as much money as possible from them!

Noel

ZRH

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:22 am

In the Swiss 2-3 configuration it is really spacious. With a 3-3 seating it is rather cramped. But nevertheless I love flying it. It is a cool aircraft with its special wings and four engines. Landing always seems very slow and smooth. It is quiet apart from the noise of the flaps which I like.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Nikel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerry Stegmeier

Knightsofmalta

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting NoelG (Reply 14):
I love the 146, I think it's a great little aircraft. It climbs like an elevator, you can just see the ground disappearing below you really quickly.

Really? I thought the RJ's were notoriously bad climbers.

socal

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:43 pm

I think high wing mounted aircraft have very good climb and lift rate....
If am wrong let me know....
I Love HNL.............

HAM

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:14 pm

did LH change their seating in ARJs from 2-3 to 3-3? I remember flying one of the LH avros in 2000 and the seating was 2-3.

ILOVEA340

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Another fun thing is that they have no thrust reversers. But they do have a tail that folds apart and turns into a speed break. They look so cool with the speedbreaks extended.

ammunition

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:20 pm

i always look forward to flying on them, its often a fun flight, and can be quite choppy and turbulent on occasions. Generally, its very comfortable, and a dream experience, the key word being, fun.
AF, cityjet flight from london city to paris, was memorable; speedy take off and good climb rate.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

kdm

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:38 pm

I also love them. Ansett used to fly them in NZ They called them the whisper jet because they were so quiet. When they first came in the pilot used to advise passengers not to be concerned about the flap noise because you didn't hear much on the old ANZ 737-200's that most people were used to.

The lack of reverse thrust caught one pilot out in Queenstown from memory when he run off the end of the runway, not serious just loss of face I think.

Also flew from UK to La Rochelle on one with Buzz.

BigSky123

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:50 pm

I only flew this plane once and i still remember how smooth the landing was. You usually feel at least a little bumb in other planes, but in this BAe it was completely eventless. I don't know whether it was a very experienced pilot or the plane but it was surely unlike other landings...

egnr

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:34 pm

I flew MAN - PMI on a British World Airlines BAe 146-300 (G-BTNU) in 1997. On the way out, I was sat in the centre of the cabin, below the wings. As somebody else on here has mentioned, the extension/retraction of the flaps does make some unique noises. We also got some ice on the inner walls of the cabin! It was configured in a 3-3 layout, at very tight pitch - either 110 or 120 passengers!

I rememebr it being noisier on the inside than I had expected for the 'whisperjet', but it was by no means overly noisy. On landing, it pulls up very quickly - it must have supremely effective braking.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rainer Nyberg

7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

grimey

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
how a flight on a BAe 146 feel

Really good, I flew from DUB-CDG last summer and back again with AF (Cityjet). You would think that it is a really small aircraft by just looking at it but there is a good bit of leg room and the seats are really nice, the service from the AF crew helped a lot since they were really nice.

By the way Cityjet will be keeping hold of their BAe-146's as long as they can because they are building a new aircraft hanger in DUB for thier BAe-146.

Grimey

highflyer9790

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:29 pm

I flew a BAe146 from EGE-DEN on Air Wisconsin. it not all that much different besides a increase in noise. and the landing are always smoothe, as everyone says...

spottingpete93

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:01 pm

The 146/Avro Rj is a little belter! I've always found it to be very quiet inside the cabin and its such a cute plane with its high wings and four little engines!

In total I've flown 11 times on 146/Avro RJ: CLH, BEE, EIN, DEB, SAB, BAW

Quoting HAM (Reply 18):
did LH change their seating in ARJs from 2-3 to 3-3? I remember flying one of the LH avros in 2000 and the seating was 2-3.

I flew LH ARJ in 1996 and 1997 and I seem to remember them being 2-3

Quoting HS748 (Reply 11):
If they're in 2-3 seating configuration they're a great little aircraft, but they just weren't designed for 3-3 and even on short flights it's nothing short of hell!

I totally agree!! - I recently flew on BEE 146-300 from LGW-JER and that was 3-3 and it was the most cramped I have ever felt on a plane

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 9):
On short segments you won't notice it, but it is not a fast airplane.

I agree here also! - I recently flew BAW 142 from VIE - MAN and flight time was 2hrs40mins (compared with 2hrs10mins on a CRJ!!)

hoppe777

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:15 pm

The flight was great with comfortable seats and a good ride, although i was sitting under the wing and i could see everything that was going on under it and some of the cables were so thin i thought to myself ???? what if it snaps during landing or mid flight ? It probably never would and im being paranoid but being able to see behind the scenes......sometimes you just dont need to see those things.
This was many years ago on a flight from Vienna to Munich.

Hoppe777
Sometime in easter 10 .... yet to book :)

nateDAL

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:26 pm

I've only flown on one once.

It was on China Northwest from Lanzhou (LHW) to Dunhuang (DNH).

I had a whole row to myself. It was a nice flight and pretty cool to have overwing jets.
Set Love Free

lufthansi

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:13 pm

I once joined one of our company ships (LH) along from HAM to CGN. The flaps are really loud. But I liked it! You know that you're flying... Anyway it's a cool feeling flying on 4 APUs! The engines are really sweet and just have electrical straters as the have been constructed as helicopter engines.
Life starts at take-off!

Marambio

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:00 am

I flew a Lufthansa Regional BAe 146 (operated by CityLine) about year ago, from FRA to AMS. The 3-3 configuration is horrible - the aisle is very narrow. Besides, the first rows' overhead bins are smaller than the ones you find on bigger planes. This said, I just loved the sound of the flaps extending and the impressive rate of climb.

When we were boarding, a Dutchman told his friend "Look, the small boy with four engines!" Nice way of seeing it, I thought  Smile

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

levg79

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:52 am

I flew 146 a few years ago on BT, before they were retired from the airline. BT had a 3-2 configuration which didn't feel cramped at all. However, there was nothing to be seen out of the window because the engines were blocking the view. I was sitting on the right side, and all I could see was the #3 engine.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airwim

Otherwise, it's just a regular plane. I hate to be sounding like your average Joe, but it didn't feel like anything special at all. Honestly, I'd rather fly on a 737 just to have anything other than an engine to see out of the window.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.