Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kmsyd777
Topic Author

Who Has The Best Economy Class Product

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering which airline has the best economy class product in the world at the moment? Me thinks... BA, SQ, EK, CX, QF, NZ would be up there?

What do you reckon????

Cheers
Kmsyd777

bjornstrom

RE: Who Has The Best Economy Class Product

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:32 pm

I'd say probably MH with that extra seat pitch or SQ.

QF, NZ, BA and other western airlines does not match the Asian airlines if you ask me. I did CX on LHR-HKG-TPE return and did not appreciate their Y service - I think they focus hard on C/F service.

I have no experience of EK but I've hear good (and bad) things about them.

6thfreedom

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:37 pm

MH for sure....

Possibly even TG for seat pitch

deltagator

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:49 pm

Just my opinion but seat pitch is a huge factor and therefore QANTAS, BA, and anyone with 31" of pitch fall very short. At the end of the day the food in Steerage will be semi-edible, the seats too narrow, and the blankets too thin so no Coach product is great IMO but some are less worse than others.

Even with other bells and whistles like AVOD and such don't help the fact that anyone over 5'5" will get a good view of the head of the person in front of them as soon as the seat is reclined.

VHVXB

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:29 pm

NZ without a doubt good food, service and entertainment

starguy

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:37 pm

For me, a good product is based around the IFE. If the food is edible, the seat reclines, and their are crew onboard that bring me a drink and a meal every now and then I'm satisfied. AVOD IFE is what makes a 12 hour flight seem like a four hour one.

I'm my opinion, SQ and VS economy are the best. The AVOD IFE is a winner and makes the flight fly by. The service is good. The seat pitch is no better than any other economy class though. 1 inch here or there doesn't really make any difference in my opinion and I'm 6 feet tall. If you are worried about lots of leg room, pay for business or first, end of story.

BA is pretty standard in my opinion, good for a western airline, but falls behind Asian standards, they will have more to offer once the IFE is updated, but the food and the seat pitch are very standard. The service can be professional but no more than their competitors.

EK has good IFE although I am not a fan of the 10 a breast seating on the 777 and the service can be inconsistent.

Air New Zealand has got an very good product now that the cabins have been updated but it have experienced a very rude crew member whilst flying with them.

Daleaholic

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:18 pm

US Airways has a great economy product. 34" seat pitch and AVOD system. US gets my vote!  thumbsup 

krje1980

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:03 am

Actually, when I flew SQ from Amsterdam to Singapore last December, the seat pitch was absolutely wonderful (must have been 34 inches at least). The plane was a Boeing 777, and I could even walk past the guy in the isle seat without him having to stand up. I think this is just standard on a few of SQs flights though. When I flew a 747 back from Singapore to Paris, the seat pitch was much less. Nevertheless, the footrest is a true blessing for me since I do not get any of those leg cramps I always get on planes which do not have them. So even with less space, SQ gets my vote for the best economy class. The attendants are really nice and professional, you get plenty of food (for being Y at least), the IFE rocks, and you usually start or end your journey in wonderful Changi airport.

Chulalongkorn

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:21 am

I give you.... All Nippon Airways.

ha787

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:35 pm

jetblue has the best coach service in the skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jetblue rules  airplane   airplane   airplane   Wink  Smile

Paul

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

TG have always been the best because they maintain a high standard, which I feel is the key component to a successful product, in any service class. And we all know that with a standardised product throughout the fleet, the ground crew and F/A's are the key to a happy journey and experience.

Paul

777fan

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:27 am

(drum roll please)...

I nominate Asiana (OZ). Great food, attentive service, sparkling clean cabins, and (on 777s), AVOD.

777fan

Tg 747-300

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:38 pm

To me Seat Pitch, Food and Crew is where you can make a difference. IFE i don't care too much about. ( As long as i have some music, and an airshow I'm generally happy. Not that i mind some nice AVOD though)

With this in mind TG will probably be my favourite. Good seat pitch, friendly crew, and excellent big meals.

KL ranks quite high with me for their crews, but seat pitch could be better for longhaul. NW too has a quite good long haul product.

tg 747-300

ZKOJH

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:40 am

depends on weather your travelling short haul or longhaul, tho as I travel longhaul a lot, would have to say NZ, just love that 34 inch and IFE !! the food is ok, - tho think they could put in another meal, WITH only 2 meals on a 13 1/2 sector SUCKS!!

Nimish

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:37 pm

Definitely TG - but only on their newer Y class - like on the A345/346. Those are magnificient - 34" pitch, huge (10"?) screens with full AVOD, good service etc.

The older TG/Y was good - but due to the lack of IFE, not the best.

ANITIX87

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:35 am

Based on the airlines I've flown I vote either LX or VS.

LH is pretty good, but I hate the complete lack of PTV's, even if the IFE is not nearly the most important part of a flight for me.

TIS

ACDC8

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:25 am

Out of my personal experiences, I would have to say that KL, AC, LH and BA are quite up there. All offer fantastic service and out of my extensive Trans Atlantic flights, I've never had a problem with them yet.

The seats are incredibly comfortable, with the exception of the B747's and KL's B767. Food has always been pleasing, the staff (both on the ground and in the cabin) have always been professional, not always the friendliest, but professional.

As far as PTV goes, I could care less about it myself. Doesn't do anything for me. Understandably, in today's business world, it is something very important to market an airlines product. But personally, if I wanted to watch TV, I could have stayed at home and done it for free. When I book at ticket, I want to experience the thrill of air travel. Simple as that.

But, that's just me ...  Smile

flydreamliner

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:01 am

AC's is really good, especially on their widebody aircraft. As someone 6'4" (1,93m) AA back during "more room throughout coach" was my favorite, even without AVOD, and my experience has been good with AA flight crews.

CO gets extra points for flawless execution though.

AirbusA6

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:16 am

What are my criteria for judging long/medium haul flights?

Efficient and well staffed check in desks
Comfortable seating - well designed, adjustable (e.g. movable headrest) and not worn out!
Legroom - more than 31 is nice
Width - 9 or 10 abreast seats on 777s for example?
IFE - AVOD systems are a great improvement, working headphones are essential too, having a wonky headphone socket is very annoying!
Food - edible, tasty meals with decent portions
Alcohol - some complimentary alcohol helps the journey pass  Wink
Drink - plentiful water or juice - a water dispenser is nice (e.g. EK) or perhaps a galley where you can help yourself (I've seen this on a VS flight)
No annoying intrusions - e.g. those IFE boxes on the floor! The last TG A346 flight had good legroom, but a IFE box just where I wanted to put my feet!
Hostesses - attentive, polite and efficient (being attractive is a bonus too!)

On these criteria, SQ narrowly wins over TG (I haven't travelled MH or NZ long haul so sadly can't comment on them)

ualcsr

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:41 am

Of the airlines I've flown, VS takes the top spot. Great IFE, decent food (with snacks from the galley if you get hungry midflight) and cheery flight attendants. Seat pitch was average, but I was lucky to be on 1/2 empty flight and got a whole row.

JetBlueAUS

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:21 am

North America: JetBlue.
Europe: Virgin Atlantic.
Asia: Cathay Pacific.

planemanofnz

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:34 pm

Obviously MH as they were voted best economy product by Skytrax for 2006. They have AVOD, 34" seat pitch, and their cabin staff are consistently ranked amongst the best in the world. To me, SQ and CX would be closely tied behind.

-QF, BA, VS, KL and LH are all let down by their seat pitches.
-NZ is let down by their service, partly due to the fact that they have much less cabin crew on a 744 then SQ/MH/CX e.t.c do.
-TG is let down by the in-consistency of it's product, i.e on one sector you have a fabulous new 346 with AVOD, yet on another flight you have an old and tired 744 with dreadful over head screens.
-EK is let down by the HUGE brain box under the seat for the IFE and also because of the 3-4-3 configuration on their 777's.

Chulalongkorn

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 21):
-QF, BA, VS, KL and LH are all let down by their seat pitches

NH should be added to this list. ANA's economy class service is 5 star, only let down by the seat pitch.

Cheers!

dimoko

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:24 am

KL has those ham sandwiches...yummy

of the airlines i have been on, i prefer CO. they just seem to be more professional, when dealing with them. like they know you are on business, not just on your way to disneyland. i like that approach.

baguy

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:52 pm

TG
<><><><><><>

bananaboy

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:30 pm

US: United
Europe scheduled: overall, probably BA
Europe scheduled: First Choice
Asia: TG beats SQ for me.. it's all about the legroom!
Both NZ and QF are good for me. NZ have the edge now I think

Mark

LPLAspotter

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:11 am

To be fair, I haven't flown NZ and some of the other mentioned here, but I thought SQ was fantastic. All my flights were short (shortest was 3 hours) but the food and service was fantastic. I also liked Qantas which I flew longhaul from BKK to FRA - great seats on the 743

LPLAspotter

VHVXB

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:38 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 21):
-NZ is let down by their service, partly due to the fact that they have much less cabin crew on a 744 then SQ/MH/CX e.t.c do.

I reckon its great regardless of how many f/a are there

[Edited 2006-08-02 08:39:19]

USAF757300

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:01 am

YX Signature Service. Huge seats, great service, and awesome cookies. Even their Saver Service isnt bad.

copenhagenboy

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:49 am

TG because of legroom, nice food and always friendly staff, they even make my Bloody Mary, not with Mr and Ms T mix, but from the ground with Tabasco and what should be in it.