alaskaqantas
Topic Author

America West Or NWA ANC-MSP

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:04 pm

hello-
sorry, I normally don't like to put up a whole post about this but...
we currently have a ticket on NWA to go form ANC-MSP for $657 dollars each (theres 4 of us)
we can cancel NWA for free, so thats not a problem.

America West doesn't fly directly but they only cost $588 PP.

i'm not worried about flying direct, I don't think my parents want to do to much messing around, but they probably don't mind taking a stop if it means a cheaper fare!

but overall what product is better? on America W. we would be flying A320 and A319 on NWA we would be flying a 757-300 and a 757-200.

On america West they have upgrades for between $50-250, I think it would be $100 upgrade pp for our route. We also have Alaska airlines NWA upgrades for being MVP, they just expired so we might not get a chance to use them.

what are the pros and cons of either first class or economy?
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
I'm going to look in the trip reports to see if there is anything too!
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

burnsie28

RE: America West Or NWA ANC-MSP

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:14 pm

If you took America west your looking at adding another 5-6 hours of travel time. The 753 IMO has comfortable seats and is a pretty cool plane. Then the 752 also I love for its power. If something went wrong at HP with a flight, it could cause a lot of problems, NW has a few flights from MSP-ANC every day, just in case. Each will have a BOB for food. Also if your AS mileage members then you'll recieve miles for flights on NW.

United767

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:14 am

If I were you I would take NW. Better planes, and overall better airline IMHO.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:15 am

MSP-ANC - no question . . . NW. Non-stop flight. Service is the usual on a domestic flight . . . in plain non-Vulcan english - not much. Don't get the BOB, especially the soggy, plastic wrapped sandwich - take something onboard with you . . .

In F, the seats are better, the booze will be free, but the catering again will be on par with domestic US F . . . not what it used to be.

I did the ANC-MSP(-CID-)MSP-ANC about 9 months ago . . . very convenient for ANC-MSP. If going to PHX with an additional 5-6 hours of travel time isn't your idea of fun, then go with NW.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

alaskaqantas
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:08 am

ok, so i guess the common vote here would be NWA. well looks like I won't cancel our NWA tickets! thanks for the help, I was leaning the other way, but now I think I'll stick with NWA.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
Also has anyone used the NWA board room in MSP? we can go in there for 45 dollars... is it worth it?

alaskaqantas
Topic Author

Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:32 am

I just found out that when you check-in with NWA you can upgrade for .01 cents per mile your flying. So its would be $25.12 to upgrade one way, which is one heck of a deal when it would cost us 15 dollars to get an isle or window seat. Although they aren't letting us pick our seats, so we will most likely all be stuck in the middle row, UNLESS we pay 25 to get real food, better seats, more room, seats together(or at lest not middle one) and more service!

It looks like there are quite a few seats open in First class, so we have a chance!

has anyone ever flown on them in First class? does anyone have photos?
what are the seats like? one last thing... do you get inflight entertainment?
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.

burnsie28

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:50 pm

I just flew NW first class this past week. They now offer two choices for meals, and the seats are comfortible, especially on the 757's and NW offers no IFE on domestic flights (except to and from Hawaii).

RichPhitzwell

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Have not flown NWA, but I would never recommend America Worst. Pitch and width has got to be the worst of any airline
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

ANCFlyer

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 6):
I just flew NW first class this past week. They now offer two choices for meals, and the seats are comfortible, especially on the 757's and NW offers no IFE on domestic flights (except to and from Hawaii).

Does this include the Alaska flights - the meals that is. Certainly wasn't that way in the recent past. I did a red-eye from ANC-MSP and a nooner MSP-ANC in F. The meal was adequate, typical domestic F, and nothing to write home about . . .

Nice to know they've upgraded that service . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

burnsie28

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):

Does this include the Alaska flights - the meals that is.

Should be since my choice was on a ATL-MSP leg. I flew DEN-DTW and they only offered one choice, but I think its slowly being implimented.

JLDWC

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:31 pm

go with NWA buddy, for one reason, LARGER plane!!