Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

KWI
Topic Author

BMI Opinions For University Final Project.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:08 am

Hi everyone,
I have a final project to complete, and although Ive already gathered a fair amount of data, I was hoping to get more specific information by posting my own topic.

My final project is about bmi's current corporate identity. The airline's press release from Feb 1 2001 states that "A new corporate identity, including new aircraft livery, is to be introduced, highlighting the airline's core values of Britishness, can-do spirit and innovation, and its reputation of offering warm and friendly customer service.

Austin Reid, chief executive officer of bmi british midland, said:

“Today’s announcements mark a major step forward in our development as a global airline.

“I am particularly thrilled with our new branding and identity, which has been developed after a two year research programme. It captures our unique British values in a contemporary, enduring and approachable way, embracing the diversity within Britain today.

“The Union Flag is a critical element of that style. And I am delighted to confirm that it will be prominent on the tailplanes of our aircraft.

“All our research showed that travellers, from many different countries, respect our British heritage as a true mark of quality and service.”

The launch of bmi british midland is about a new service philosophy, which has been built on the existing strengths of the company. This will focus on the genuine warmth and hospitality which has been a hallmark of our staff, combined with the efficient, crisp and modern style that our customers demand.

“Our vision is to be the customers’ airline of choice – a vision that will be achieved through the dedication and quality of all our staff. The new brand reflects our drive for continual improvement in this competitive industry. "

So, what are your views?
Do you think bmi is still the airline it was back when its corporate identity was introduced?
Is it in any way misleading?
Is what is said in the press release still true today?
How different is the airline bmi says it is through its brand identity from the actual bmi?
What does bmi's brand identity "say"?

Your help is very much appreciated.

I look forward to reading your responses

KWI

buckieboy

RE: BMI Opinions For University Final Project.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 am

My opinions:

Quoting KWI (Thread starter):
So, what are your views?
Do you think bmi is still the airline it was back when its corporate identity was introduced?

Not at all. The events of 11/09/2001 altered air travel for ever.

Is it in any way misleading?

What I find disappointing, if not entirely misleading, is the lack of a visible coherent strategy from this airline.

Is what is said in the press release still true today?

IMHO, Britons and "Brittishness" have more negative connotations post the Iraq-war than when this statement was made. Value for money is a more relevant concept regarding air travel today. Whilst some here may not acknowledge or like the facts, there are very sound reasons why EasyJet and Ryanair are successful today.

How different is the airline bmi says it is through its brand identity from the actual bmi?

It's been a while since I've personally flown bmi. I don't doubt the dedication and abilities of the staff. I just believe that the staff are being badly led.

What does bmi's brand identity "say"?

"Rabbit in a car's headlights".

Just my 1 RMB

Cheers

BB
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

BMED

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:55 am

I think the only misleading bit would be the midland part as the airline isn't as focused on EMA anymore but i guess thats why they say bmi now when boarding flights instead of british midland.

However, I feel the British part with the uk flag is good as they serve a lot more UK domestic routes better than BA. Even with a crew base in Scotland, england and ireland

[Edited 2007-02-20 01:56:19]
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

KWI
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:45 am

any more opinions?

The more you guys give the more I can use...

Thanks