FLLspoter
Topic Author

First Class On RJ's

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:50 am

I was wondering what you guys think about F on RJ's.
F is always good but there is no point if you dont get any better food than Y because the flight is so short.
Yet again you get better legroom that Y, but you can't sleep better because the flight is short.

Joe
FLL justs gets better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kjet12

RE: First Class On RJ's

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:20 am

I think it is offered more for connecting travelers who purchase premium cabin tickets. The idea of paying for an F ticket from say LAX-ORD, then connecting to a regional in Y probably upsets some of the premium travelers.
AA - Doing what we do best.

Bicoastal

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 am

With some "regional" jets flying routes that are 2 to 3 hours now....or cross country on E170s and 190s, the first class cabins make a huge difference for frequent flyers and business travellers who are working "en-flight."
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

deltairlines

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 am

Meal isn't the big thing for me in F. F gives me slightly better service (pre-flight drinks, my glass is always filled, complimentary alcohol), first one off the plane, better passenger:overhead space ratio, more space (much easier to use a laptop in F than in Y) - overall, a much better experience.

YULWinterSkies

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Thread starter):
F is always good but there is no point if you dont get any better food than Y because the flight is so short.

Some food always better than no food. Full meal service has been done on 1 hour flights, so it can still be done if airlines want...

Yet again you get better legroom that Y, but you can't sleep better because the flight is short.

I've managed to sleep in Y on YYZ-YUL from before take-off to after landing. All that it takes to sleep in flight is being exhausted!

By the way, since when are all RJ flights "so short"? Some are 4-5 hours (unfortunately though...).
When I doubt... go running!

FLLspoter
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 4):
Full meal service has been done on 1 hour flights

Not in the USA BUB

Joe

FutureFO

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:46 am

1 hour flights ya right food, what is that.
I Don't know where I am anymore

ny-jfk-lga

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:15 am

First Class, no matter what equipment its on, should be better than Y class. That is the purpose, for everything to be better. Some of you pointed it out, the overhead compartment space to pax ratio, the food or snacks in most cases for RJ's, the complimentary alcohol, and most of all, the personal space. I still say america needs to "bring back First Class". It isn't what it used to be, any of you with me on this one? Quit upgrading people who abuse the free alcohol and bring back the real F class. People will pay for it if airlines make what it once was. Its sad because you can clearly tell who the upgrade(s) are from actual F customers. Give all those silver, gold, platinums, medallions, elites and whatever else they call them some other kinds of incentives. Give them a complimentay Y ticket, give them 50 or 75% off thier next ticket. Upgrade them to business class. I'll stop ranting now, as this should belong to another thread. All I want is the Class brought back to First Class.
Bring back McDonnell Douglas & T W A!!

briboy

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 am

I will take F anytime on Air Canada Jazz when they do the red-eye from YXE to YYZ in a CRJ-705!

AC8834 depart YXE 01:50 CST, arrive YYZ 06:58 EDT. Gate to gate time of 3hours8min!

/Brian
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

burnsie28

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:23 am

NW will have 12 FC seats on the CRJ-900's and EMB-170's.

lincoln

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:31 am

I was in F on a Mesaba Avro shortly before they were retired (elite upgrade)... not sure if I would have paid for it* but it certainly was a more comfortable ride, and the 6 of us in "F" basically had our own (attractive) FA who spent most of the flight standing in front of my seat (I was in 1D) and chatting about Mesaba, the Avro, Northwest and just about anything else between topping off drinks and handing out more peanuts.

It was a most enjoyable and almost too-short flight  Sad

Lincoln
*- Actually, as it turns out I had 5 relatives on the same flight in Y (didn't find out about this until everyone was boarding-- we were all converging on PLN from various points across the country)--- had I known, I probably would have declined the upgrade, but c'est la vie.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

UAL4ever

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 am

I feel that on the UA CRJ-700 first class is quite useful. I was upgraded on CRJ's flying PSP-DEN and ORD-CLE-ORD. Both times I sat in 1A which is the only seat on the left side. While I will always take an upgade I didn't think it made that much of a difference until I flew ORD-MKE-ORD on a CRJ. Thank goodness its a 20 minute flight because it was quite uncomfortable sitting in coach since there is no first class. I can't imagine having to be in economy on that uncomfortable plane like that on a 2 hour route like PSP-DEN.

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:08 pm

UA and their CRJ700 have it going on! F on that plane is in some respects much better than mainline. Ditto their E170s. I have several trip reports on the subject.

Since carriers tend to use Regional Jets for not so regional travel these days, having F cabins is - IMO - essential. DEN-BHM is over 3 hours in a CRJ. Sitting in 1A as UAL4EVER indicates above, on UAs CRJ700 is fantastic.

I could care less about the food, but I want to wider seat, more knee/leg room, a free booze. Yeah, yeah, I read your post NY-JFK-LGA. Difference is I BUY my F tickets, so if I wanna glom the free booze, so be it. You are quite right though. F is not what it used to be - domestically - on any carrier. CO and AS come the closest. US at the tail end of the line. UA, AA fall in front of DL and NW. Regardless, F isn't anything like it once was.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

FutureFO

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:12 pm

F on the 170 I think is more comfortable than the CR7.
I Don't know where I am anymore

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 5):

Not in the USA BUB

Yes it has....just not recently.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

iadbound

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:32 pm

I agree with the previous posts about F on the 170 (although the CRJ isn't bad either). I flew both aircraft in F recently on UA, IAD-AUS and back. These are 3+ hour long flights, and for me (I'm a big guy) the extra comfort was really a plus.

NWADC9

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 5):

Not in the USA BUB

Try 40 minutes  Wink
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

FLLspoter
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 16):
Try 40 minutes

What route is fourty minutes and has full meal service domesitcally in the USA?

Joe

Stitch

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 am

Depends on the RJ. On UAX's CRJ-700s it's very nice since the seat is a bit wider and the legroom was most appreciated before they added Economy Plus. On UAX's ERJ-170s, the Y seats are already wide and the legroom in Row 3 is even better then F.

deltairlines

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 17):

BOS-LGA and LGA-DCA on the DL Shuttle - bagel breakfast in the morning; last year, they had chicken and a salad for meals afterwards. Complimentary beer and wine as well.

BA380

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 17):

Don't know, but airlines in other regions manage it. You get a full cooked breakfast on BA Club Europe flights to Paris and Amsterdam, for example - flights that can take 35-40 minutes with an efficient routing.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

stylo777

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 6):
1 hour flights ya right food, what is that.

you get food on a CRJ900 in Turkey for a 35minutes short hope with KK

atct

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 am

I remember flying PIT-CVG on a Delta 737-200 and I got a meal....this was pre-9/11 days.

Recently....Only CO and AS take the cake on meal service.

CO gives a nice little sandwich on the XR runs like IAH-PIT or CLE-MIA. Isnt much, but add it the bag of chips and a drink....beats USAir's stale trail mix (that you pay for) or Delta's not-so variety packs.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

airfoilsguy

Why would anyone want food on a flight that is less the one hour? If you are that hungry eat before the flight. I really can't see why anyone would want to be rushed to eat on a flight less then 1 hour.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

silentbob

With the scope issues that some airlines have, F seats on RJs can allow them to generate more revenue and utilize what would otherwise be wasted space.

FLLspoter
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 19):
BOS-LGA and LGA-DCA on the DL Shuttle - bagel breakfast in the morning; last year, they had chicken and a salad for meals afterwards. Complimentary beer and wine as well

Dude that was last year!
Besides i was on LGA-DCA a couple of weeks ago and there was nothing except for the drink service.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 23):
Why would anyone want food on a flight that is less the one hour? If you are that hungry eat before the flight. I really can't see why anyone would want to be rushed to eat on a flight less then 1 hour.

Amen to that one brother from another mother.

dtwclipper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting FLLspoter (Reply 25):
Dude that was last year!

Dude, as you like to call people, the original quote was in the PAST TENSE!

Meal service was a regular feature of flights of 1 hour and often less.

You say you are somewhere between 13 & 15, so don't tell people who were there what was served before you where born.

True, now you're lucky if you get a bag-o-nuts, but in years past it was common practice.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business