lufthansi
Topic Author

Best Foreign Aircrews?

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:56 am

Hi there!

I was just wondering what you think are the best airmen FROM OUTSIDE your country (e.g. don't vote for BA if you're British, don't vote for LH if you're German...)! I vote for TAM as I had Portugese lessons and Guarana for free for some 1,5 years. I had the pleasure to work with some airlines and therefore I choose my favorite one. So what's your favorite? I think it's nice to know other cultures. I enjoyed that during the FIFA world championship in Germany/France and now during the G8 summit (yeah, I know there's not only pleasure at the last one.  Wink )
Life starts at take-off!

swissgabe

RE: Best Foreign Aircrews?

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:21 am

SriLankan Airlines
Japan Airlines
ANA All Nippon
Malaysia Airlines
South African Airways
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

cragley

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:33 am

NZ or TG have the best crews service wise.

KE seemed great, but they can't speak english which makes it difficult, but they were friendly  Smile

CO out of IAH have great crews too. Can't beat Texan hospitality  Smile

P3Orion

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:13 am

With out a doubt, it's Lufthansa. The Flight Crews do every thing they are instructed to do, without the attitude; and, unlike other foreign carriers, they taxi fast.
Baker's 7 year, Carpano Antica, Luxardo, Bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters

b777a340fan

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:55 am

Singapore
VN
VS
ANA
Asiana
Thai

Arecibo

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:36 am

Asiana (Korea) by far........extremely courteous, extremely Beautiful.....extremely clean birds too.  Wink
Life is tough; It's touher if you're stupid. John Wayne.

HAWK21M

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:13 am

Def Emirates.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Arecibo

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Swiss...........from D.P.R.K? ........really? Hmmmm
Life is tough; It's touher if you're stupid. John Wayne.

OHLHD

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting Lufthansi (Thread starter):
I vote for TAM

They defintly get a point!

My favourite is Air France!

b777a340fan

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 8):
My favourite is Air France!

WHAT???? I nearly fell off my seat when I read it. Yuk, I've never flown AF unless I absolutely had to. They're rude, obnoxious, careless, and always always offered sub-par service IMO.

skyman

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 am

Well from my ATC point of view I would say BA. They are correct, can speak English and do as they are told. I also like Malev pilots. Lots of you voted for Asian carriers as Singapore or Korean, but I often get the feeling that lots of pilots are only able to speak and understand standard phrases in English which is not good. It can be funny sometimes, but it is not the what you want to have when there is a problem.

Emirates029

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 am

Emirates, KLM second

a380us

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:24 pm

VS
CX
SQ

and latter
6H
JL
VN
www.JandACosmetics.com

VHXLR8

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:15 pm

British Airways.

Service is consistent, always professional, friendly and fast, without being over the top. Crew are laid back and seem to enjoy themselves.

OHLHD

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 9):
WHAT???? I nearly fell off my seat when I read it. Yuk, I've never flown AF unless I absolutely had to. They're rude, obnoxious, careless, and always always offered sub-par service IMO.

I had only perfect expiriences with them. This year from GIG to CDG they were fantastic again. I cannot vote for AY therefore they are my number one. Since I am half Austrian as well I cannot vote for OS either.  Smile

TYCOON

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Sorry B777A340Fan, my vote goes to Air France too! And this is coming from someone who has flown over 60 airlines around the world, including Singapore, Qantas, ANZ, Lufthansa, Swiss, BA, Emirates, Virgin, etc...
I am an American (born and raised) but currently reside in France.
There is just something about them, especially the stewardesses, that shows complete control, class, elegance and a large dose of 'je ne sais quoi'. They are not servile or obsequious as on many Asian carriers; nor are they clumsy and ill-groomed as on many US carriers. They always appear chic in their Christian Lacroix designed outfits that even the height of fashion magazine "Wallpaper" rave about!
Yes, Air France it is.
But I do confess, I love TAM too! More for fun than anything else, but they don't appear as professional and polished as AF crew does. TAM crew just looks like their having fun - and they smile alot - it is quite contagious - as is the rest of Brazil!

PGNCS

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 3):
The Flight Crews do every thing they are instructed to do, without the attitude

Commendable, indeed.

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 3):
unlike other foreign carriers, they taxi fast

This isn't necessarily a sign of quality.

I go with Icelandair.

P3Orion

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 16):

From my vantage point, it's greatly appreciated.

davescj

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:19 pm

I'd say JL without hesitation.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

dfwmzuri

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:08 pm

1. LH
2. SQ
3. SN
4. BA

Doona

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:16 pm

KE or NH, IMO.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

PGNCS

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 17):

From my vantage point, it's greatly appreciated.

Until someone unfamiliar with your airport makes a wrong turn and clogs up the works or ends up on an active runway, I bet you don't appreciate it so much then. Incursions are problematic at your facility, and despite having been there hundreds of times, I still have to pay the closest possible attention to taxi clearances at ORD. You only have to know ONE airport layout. We have a little chart that is very hard to read, especially at night, of the exceptionally confusing layout of your airport. Unless you happen to be based there (I'm not) we don't know the layout as well as you do. We go to LOTS of airports (one of our fleets goes to over 200 different airports), and they all have unique features, though some are more hideous to negotiate than others.

Be careful what you ask for. Taxiing fast (over 30 Knots is a FOQA event at my airline, by the way) is fine IF you know exactly where you are going and conditions permit. For those of us who only transit ORD once or twice a year, a lot of us are going to taxi slower than AA or UA because we don't want to be your next runway incursion.

davescj

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 21):
over 30 Knots is a FOQA event at my airline, by the way

What is a FOQA?

And always, better safe than sorry.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

PGNCS

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 22):
What is a FOQA?

And always, better safe than sorry.

FOQA is the acronym for "Flight Operational Quality Assurance" and is basically a program involving a system installed on aircraft similar to a Flight Data Recorder where maintenance downloads the history of flights for several days or weeks and exceedances are flagged. These could be hard landings, exceeding engine limitations, or in this case, taxiing too fast. There is a complex procedure for getting to the pilots involved, but eventually an explanation can be solicited for an event. The system is fundamentally a safety system designed to spot trends that could lead to accidents and has been very helpful in identifying issues like unstabilized approaches, flap overspeeds (very common on our 757 fleet), and "slam dunk" approaches, where ATC techniques are causing operational issues.

You are right about safety: it's ALWAYS imperative to know where you are, on the ground and in the air. The hardest part about many flights is the taxi out and in, especially at a place like ORD or CDG.

P3Orion

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 21):
Taxiing fast (over 30 Knots is a FOQA event at my airline, by the way) is fine IF you know exactly where you are going and conditions permit. For those of us who only transit ORD once or twice a year, a lot of us are going to taxi slower than AA or UA because we don't want to be your next runway incursion.

I certainly don't want that. However, It can be "trying" when I issue taxi instructions, anticipating the aircraft moving out of the alley, and 90 seconds later it hasn't moved.

PGNCS

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 24):
I certainly don't want that. However, It can be "trying" when I issue taxi instructions, anticipating the aircraft moving out of the alley, and 90 seconds later it hasn't moved.

Well, I have no problem with that. When I call for a taxi clearance I am ready to taxi.

P3Orion

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 25):
Well, I have no problem with that. When I call for a taxi clearance I am ready to taxi.

Thanks. That's all I could ask for. Do you fly into ORD often?

A320ajm

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 pm

I don't know about aircrew but the best foreign F/As i have had were Air Canada.
They were superb after a 24 hour delay at Heathrow Airport in the Summer of 2004. We were trying to get to Seattle but my parents got sick and just booked us on a AC flight to Vancouver and then got the train down to Seattle. But they were great and gave me free ice cream Big grin
Regards
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

VHXLR8

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 27):
I don't know about aircrew but the best foreign F/As i have had were Air Canada.

The term aircrew generally means pilots AND F/As.