Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jepstein
Topic Author

Hey Commercial Airline Pilots!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:57 am

Simply put, I want to become one of you. I am currently a sophmore (going into Junior year) in high school. What do I need to do to become a commercial airline pilot? (courses, grades, etc)

Please, please, please answer my question!

PGNCS

RE: Hey Commercial Airline Pilots!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:07 am

Don't do it! Run away! Just say no!  headache 

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here."
-Dante

newagebird

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Haha thats easy

Expensive option:
1. Go to uni, get a degree in aviation or something of that sort.
2. The uni's gotta have a flying program which gets you upto commercial level. Its about 150-200 hours.
3. Get an instructor job or a charter job or skydiving job.
4. Build up your hours and with a bit of luck you may get an interview in about 5 years.

Cheap option:
1. Become a private student at a flying school that you can rely on, theres a few out there who don't exaclty have the best service so research the schools before you commit.
2. Get your Commercial license
3. Get an instructor job or a charter job or skydiving job.
4. Build up your hours and with a bit of luck you may get an interview in about 5 years.

Both options have their problems, but you gotta be alright at school too, not a genius but at least average. At least this is the basic plan in australia.

good luck

A320ajm

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:34 pm

It may also be worth joining the Air Force. These are the best trained pilots about and airlines really like ex air force pilots. You also get to fly some great planes in the Air Force. I am the same as you, want to become a pilot anyway possible. I am sitting my GCSEs (British Exams) and I am going into Sixth Form (college) to study Physics, Maths, Geography and Spanish. These subjects, apart from the Spanish, are probably the best you can take. But only take them if you like them and can get good grades in them. I am lucky in the fact that i enjoy maths and physics and i am predicted A grades for them.
Regards and good luck
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

n710ps

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:35 am

Go to a flight school get your hours in, hammer out some instruction time, than go fly for Colgan for a few years and you will be ready for the big jets but go to College as well. Grades are good but regionals look at hours more than anything. If you have a pulse, your human, and you carry a card and a medical they will hire you.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

n710ps

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:42 am

Go to a flight school get your hours in, hammer out some instruction time, than go fly for Colgan for a few years and you will be ready for the big jets but go to College as well. Grades are good but regionals look at hours more than anything. If you have a pulse, your human, and you carry a card and a medical they will hire you.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!