mirrodie
Topic Author

Airline Magazines

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:07 am

I am thinking of subscribing to an airline magazine.

Does anyone here subscribe and have any recommendations?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

foxdelta

RE: Airline Magazines

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:12 am

Airliners, Airways, and AirlinerWorld are my top choices. AirlinerWorld is more news oriented, whereas the other two are more reading oriented.

Cheers  airplane 

GateHold

I think United's "Hemispheres" is maybe the best of the majors.

There's a little airline in Costa Rica, NatureAir, that has an outstanding inflight mag.

asuflyer05

I like Airliners and Airways. They both offer fairly interesting articles on a broad range of topics.

clickhappy

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:14 am

Well, I would of course recommend Airliners

I am also a huge fan of Flight International Guy Norris and Max Kinglsey Jones are both top notch writers.

GateHold

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:22 am

"Airliners" and "Flight International" are not airline magazines. I believe the thread starter is talking about in-house carrier magazines. The ones in the seat pocket.

But now that you've changed the subject, my personal favorites are "Barely Legal" and "Mop-Makers Digest."

Seriously though, the single best commercial aviation magazine by far is "Air Transport World."

[Edited 2007-06-08 17:30:05]

clickhappy

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:26 am

Just curious, what passes for "legal" in Botswana these days?

Arcrftlvr

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 am

Airways is my personal favorite.

As far as in-flight magazines, I think Spirit (Southwest's magazine) is the best.

foxdelta

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting GateHold (Reply 5):
"Airliners" and "Flight International are not airline magazines. The thread starter is talking about in-house carrier magazines. The ones in the seat pocket.

Can you subscribe to in-house airlines magazines?

GateHold

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Thread starter):

Most of them, yes. Though not for free.

Arcrftlvr

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:28 am

My previous post is not to say that Airliners is not a great magazine.

STT757

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:31 am

Aviation Week and Space Technology.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

GateHold

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 6):
Just curious, what passes for "legal" in Botswana these days?

That's kind of offensive. Botswana is arguably the most successful country in Africa. It is peaceful and clean, with the continent's most stable currency and one of the highest standards of living. Bots also has more protected wilderness, percentage wise, than any other country in the world.

[Edited 2007-06-08 17:47:02]

jimyvr

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:34 am

Flight International. The weekly up-to-date comprehensive news and analysis plus the free directories.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

pzurita1

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting GateHold (Reply 12):
the highest percentage of protected wilderness of any country in the world.

Amazing. I always knew it was Bhutan, but after reading your post I looked for the actual figures and ¡surprise surprise!, both Bhutan and Botswana have 30.2% of their land protected. I know it has nothing to do with aviation, but most time people from "developed " countries does not realise that richness might also come from protected environments.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:34 am

I believe the thread starter is talking about in-house carrier magazines. The ones in the seat pocket.

Actually, I was referring to magazines about airlines, not inhouse magazines like AA's American Way. But thanks for trying to clarify.

Quoting GateHold (Reply 9):

Most of them, yes. Though not for free.

Huh, Buckwheat??? I didn/t say that. You must be quoting someone else.

Does anyone subscribe to these magazines such as Airways or Airliners? Have you been happy with them?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

GateHold

Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 15):
Actually, I was referring to magazines about airlines, not inhouse magazines like AA's American Way. But thanks for trying to clarify.

My apologies. In that case, I definitely vote for Air Transport World. ATW is *all* airline, unlike Flight International and the like, which blend in military and GA coverage also, but without the amateurish "hobby" slant of Airways, Airliners, et al. Good writing (Perry Flint's editorials are some of aviation's best), great analysis, and the most comprehensive stats anywhere. Plus lots of cool pictures.

It's an expensive subscription though, at around U.S. $60.

curticool

Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:22 am

I think SKY magazine (Delta) is best! Big grin
-Curticool
N102DA

transair737

Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:35 am

I subscribe to both Airliners and Airways. They are very similar in format, but usually have very interesting articles and I look forward to them arriving in the mail. Airways is monthly while Airliners is bi-monthly. I really can't say I like one better than another they are both very good.

dhr

Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:39 am

Try Airline Business, a member of the Flight International camp. Nothing but airline news although a bit on the management side of things. I also get ATW and its very similar although between both of these, Airline Business wins hands down.

Viscount724

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:34 am

Seriously though, the single best commercial aviation magazine by far is "Air Transport World."

If you are more interested in the management side of the airline business, e.g. interviews with CEOs, detailed profiles of different airlines and their future plans, statistical comparisons etc., I would recommend Airline Business (U.K.) and Air Transport World (U.S). Both are monthlies.

For overall aviation and aerospace subjects, including quite a bit of airline coverage but also military, space. etc., the two best in my opinion are Aviation Week & Space Technology (U.S.) and Flight International (U.K.) As mentioned above, Airline Business and Flight International are published by the same company.

Note that almost all of the contents of Flight International can be accessed free on their website (www.flightglobal.com) and probably a few days before you would receive the printed magazine, so you may want to look at that site before you spend your money subscribing. I believe some statistical tables and similar things may be be available on their website.

Most of the contents of the other 3 magaines mentioned can be accessed on their websites only if you are a subscriber with a login/password.

[Edited 2007-06-08 23:39:24]

FI642

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:00 am

My vote goes for ATW.

Having been receiving it for about 20 years, I feel it to be the best.
There is a lot more in the magazine than what is posted on the ATW website.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

MCOflyer

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 15):
Does anyone subscribe to these magazines such as Airways or Airliners? Have you been happy with them?

I love Airways and its great.

Airwaysmag.com

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

rampkontroler

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:41 am

Airliners, Airways, World Airline Fleets News, and Airliner World are what I get now, and would be my top choices. I'd probably get more, but I cán't afford them!

aviationnut12

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:09 am

I have had a subscription to Airways for three years now, and I look forward to every issue. It is a fabulous magazine that offers excellent articles, flight reviews, and other aviation related "stuff". It is well worth the $40 a year price.
Every choice is a step, steps become direction, direction determines destination

InnocuousFox

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting DHR (Reply 19):
Try Airline Business, a member of the Flight International camp. Nothing but airline news although a bit on the management side of things.

I got this one for a while when I was doing the initial research for our game. Good stuff if you are into the business side of things.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Devilfish

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):
For overall aviation and aerospace subjects, including quite a bit of airline coverage but also military, space. etc., the two best in my opinion are Aviation Week & Space Technology (U.S.) and Flight International (U.K.)

I would add Air International to those two. There's its sister publication, Air Forces Monthly for the more militarily inclined, although AI already covers the more interesting news. And as opposed to Flight, very little from those two go to the web.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

zrs70

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:40 pm

If you are interested in trip reports and other travel info beyond the aircraft itself, Business Traveller International is a great mag!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

A320ajm

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:22 pm

For civil aviation, i would say Airliner World. If you like military aviation aswell, i would recommend Air Forces Monthly. I get both of these delivered monthly. You get then early and they are great to read.
Regards
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

hobbsieoz

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Airliner world has to be the best.

You get the usual 15 odd pages of news. You then get special articles, usually a historic article is in there if youre interested in the older aviation. You then have the reader contributions pages, airliners deliveries and accidents. You also get a poster in the centrefold. And regular competitons.

The new one arrived through my door this morning.

- Part One: Black Sea Airport - Bourgas
- Buiding an Airline brand- SAMA
- TAME Ecuado - Rebirth
- JetBlue new terminal at JFK
-Diamond Class - Malaysian and Singapore celebrate 60 anniversary
- Champions Leage Finals Flights
- Athens visitors
- Aviation Photography - Part 4
- Summer Logojets
- Houston Texas Airport
- Airbus A300 - End of the Line

NEXT MONTH:

Eastern Airways
Paris Air Show
Airline Alliances
Top 100 Airports
Black Sea Airports part 2
and more...

Aleksandar

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 pm

My choice would be Airways, but there are also few other interesting magazines. With the little help of Internet, nobody needs airline magazines to be up-to-date with news. You can have them all very fast with a click of a button. So, what people want is usually good articles and Airways always has them.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

laca773

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Hobbsieoz (Reply 29):
Airliner world has to be the best.

Agreed!
1)* Airliner World is very comprehensive with some great articles, news and at least two airline profiles a month.

2) Airways used to be my favorite but I've lost interest in them as of recent. Their scope has narrowed quite a bit. I like Alaska Airlines a lot, but enough is enough. They seem to always have an AS view on something just about every month this year. They need to expand their horizon's in my opinion. I do like their trip reports. I hope one day they will expand that section.

3) Airliner's is also another excellent magazine but isn't published monthly. I feel their writers are doing a better job than Airways does at this day and time. Much more well rounded and comprehensive like Airways used to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~
In addition to the above mentioned three,

1A) *Airport World. It's published by the folks who write and publish Airliner World and are from the UK. A wonderful and very infomative magazine that covers all the comings and goings at the airports around the world, how things are changing, becoming more advanced. Similar to Airliner World, they do profiles as well, Airports. They have a main airport profile and they a couple more. Great photos too.

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 27):
If you are interested in trip reports and other travel info beyond the aircraft itself, Business Traveller International is a great mag!

Zrs70. I agree with you on this. Here's another great magazine that covers the airlines from a premium business travelers prospective. It's vwell written and reliable. It's also a great magazine as they talk about things to come, somethings that we don't know as of yet on here (One of the principal editors @ Business Traveler International wrote a damning TR on MaxJet and there was quite a bit of fury over it and even mentioned on here-service was horrible and when MaxJet got wind of it, they tried to pay off Business Traveler....to not publish the report and that got out...)
It's a great read for us airline who really value great service from a passenger and hobbiest point of view.)

Hope this is helpful.

LACA773

* Just a note that Airliner World & Airport World are quite pricey as they are imports for us here in the U.S. However if you belong to the Barnes and Noble Membership program you will save about $1.50 or so per issue. They are delayed being released here by about two weeks.  airplane 

fuffla

Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Australian Aviation Magaizine :P

Sorry, just had to say it.

swissgabe

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:34 am

Does anyone here subscribe and have any recommendations?

I do like AirlinerWorld (UK) and Airways (US) very much, in German language I'm also getting Jetstream (used to have Cockpit and AeroInternational as well but no more).
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

[email protected]

Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:41 am

I don't subscribe monthly but i regularly buy Airliner World and Airliners magazine. Both are good in their own way, Airliners has excellent in-depth articles while Airliner World has the best and latest news round-up from around the world.
In Arsene we trust!!

Aleksandar

Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 33):

You're right. There are few excellent German magazines. The problem is that my German is not good enough to completely enjoy in them.

Like I said before, the reasons why I buy magazine today (which I rarely do, simply because they are too expensive here) are completely different from the reasons I had 15 years ago. Back than, magazines gave me some kind of information. Today, I need a good article. Now I don't need to see some new livery or to read about some new order. Generally, I find those kind of data weeks prior to their publication in any of the magazines. So, my focus has changed. Today, I want to learn more abour certain airline or airport. So, the magazines need to change their orientation. They need good story, because they will definitely be late for some hot news.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

AllegiantAir

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 am

I subscribe to Airliners and often buy Airways at the bookstore. Both are awesome magazines.
Live to Fly.