airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Is First Class Too Ostentatious?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:54 am

What do you think? Through hard work and a little luck I have the ability to travel first class but don't. Business class is just fine for me. I think the first class seating they are offering now is ridiculous. Do you really need your own pod to fly in? I think if you are that Xenophobic that you have to have your own pod, with its own door, to travel in on a commercial airline, then you probably should just stay home. What do you think?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Bondor

[Edited 2007-06-16 22:55:30]
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ikramerica

RE: Is First Class Too Ostentatious?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:59 am

I think "pods" are fine since pods are not defined as having doors. You are talking about cabins, which I think are a little much.

But I also think you are a little judgmental. What on earth does wanting PRIVACY have to do with XENOPHOBIA?

Personally, I like the F product because it is lie flat, and I like the "pod" because you are not breathing into someone else's face or having them climb over you or pull on your seat during your sleep. That's the only reason.

I've flown F internationally on AA and QF, and it is a better trip experience than flying J on the carriers I've flown J on. But I'd imagine the J seats on VS, AC, NZ and now DL would be "good enough" for me.

And I think the airlines agree, as they are SHRINKING the size of F on their newest planes as they offer full flat, privacy style J seats. They know fewer people will want to pay for F, or use miles to fly F, if the J is so good.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

halls120

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Thread starter):
Do you really need your own pod to fly in?

No one really "needs" a business class seat, but it sure is more comfortable than Y class. If I could afford a pod F class ticket, I sure wouldn't turn it down if it was available.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 2):
If I could afford a pod F class ticket, I sure wouldn't turn it down if it was available.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all people who fly first class are pricks, its just not for me. This is coming from a guy that feels self conscious when I go with friends to a restaurant in the friend's Rolls. It just seems to me that when you pull up in such a car or sit in such a seat you are attracting too much attention for my tastes.

StarGoldLHR

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
I've flown F internationally on AA and QF, and it is a better trip experience than flying J on the carriers I've flown J on. But I'd imagine the J seats on VS, AC, NZ and now DL would be "good enough" for me.

Are you kidding me... AA (and i'm sorry to say almost all US carriers) 1st class offerings are very paltry and somewhat wide of the mark.
I'm not a fan of VS by any measure.. but when they roll up to my office and take me to the airport and check my luggage in the car, and give me my seats on the way to the airport.
Then go through the fast track check in process straight to the lounge where a free drinks, a dined meal even a hair cut / massage awaits me. A Guide takes me to the plane, where I have a lie flat bed, meals made to order and delivered on demand and can sit at the bar in flight or watch one of a 100 films on demand...
but then Singapore Airlines also offer me the same.. and BA / NZ offer very close.

or I could make my own way to the airport, check in with all the FFlyers in the first class line, go through security and pay for my own drink in the United lounge, be strip searched at the extra US security, board with all the other sheep, get a basic meal (I was given a burger once on a UA flight as a main meal) on a reasonable bed with a selection of the last 5 years films to watch.. then grab a taxi or organize my own transport at the other end...

all for the same price...

which one you gonna chose ?

As regards privacy... when youve got a high value asset on your laptop or a proposal worth a great deal, not having the guy next to you read it, or roll over and let off in the night on to your seat... or billy the spoilt brat who's playing some game and making a scene next to you...that screens worth every penny my company pays for it.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

OA260

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:23 am

J class is fine for me . I wouldnt pay for F class to be honest , total waste of money and not needed. Alot of airlines have lie flat in J class now so theres little difference between then 2. I dont want to be cooped up in a plastic cocoon. I like to have a feeling of space and airyness. 2-2-2 in J class is perfect for me . Its only one person next to you and normally I have no problems. I maybe have a chat with my seat mate etc... I have noticed though that some in J should be ''locked'' in their own cabin because they are up their own arses.

ikramerica

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 4):
Are you kidding me... AA (and i'm sorry to say almost all US carriers) 1st class offerings are very paltry and somewhat wide of the mark.

It was 4 years ago on AA, and I don't agree. And when you say "almost all" what are you talking about? There are only 2 airlines in the USA that offer and international 3 class product, which includes F. AA and UA. Both offer "pod" style seating, with AA offering the flagship suite on the majority of the 777s, and eventually (when?) converting the rest from coffins. So by "almost all" are you talking AA and not UA, or are you confused about the topic and relating domestic F to an international product, but still chiming in?

Recently flying QF F on the 744, I found the food on AA to be superior, and the F seat has more room and personal space. Now that AA has added duvets and such (finally) the comfort is there. I don't think the food on AA was as good as it was in 1998 when I flew F to Switzerland, but the seats on that 767 were barely good business seats by today's standard.

AA needs to maintain their seats better (had a broken seat coming back from NRT), and the materials aren't all wood and gold, but we are talking about wether F was worth it over J, and that's all I said. AA international F is better than J on the planes I've flown J, hands down. Better seats, better food. The AA lounge at Flagship Lounge at LAX is also nice considering it's such a small international station for them.

But my experience with international F is limited, and I'm dying to fly SQ or EK to learn what it's "supposed to be like"

And yet I don't feel the need for cabin doors and likely would leave mine open if offered.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AeroWesty

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:35 am

I think if you are that Xenophobic that you have to have your own pod, with its own door, to travel in on a commercial airline, then you probably should just stay home

I see no difference in a secluded suite in first class to overnight bedroom accommodations on a train, which has been an acceptable mode of transportation for over a century.
International Homo of Mystery

DesertFlyer

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 3):
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all people who fly first class are pricks, its just not for me. This is coming from a guy that feels self conscious when I go with friends to a restaurant in the friend's Rolls. It just seems to me that when you pull up in such a car or sit in such a seat you are attracting too much attention for my tastes.

I agree. Being flashy is way too important to most people, in my opinion. I'm all for living comfortable, but there isn't really a fine line between flashy and comfortable. Personally, I find private jets to be the ultimate waste. I know many of you will respectfully disagree with me.

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:30 am

Do you really need your own pod to fly in? I think if you are that Xenophobic that you have to have your own pod, with its own door, to travel in on a commercial airline, then you probably should just stay home. What do you think?

It's not Xenophobic - it's a privacy thing. One reason I don't sleep well on aircraft (even in lie flat seats on AY, RJ, QF, BA, or in F on BA) is because there are always people moving about, and I can be seen sleeping. A private cabin would mean I'd be more likely to get to sleep without any issues as it would hopefully have some more sound protection than a normal seat.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Its only one person next to you and normally I have no problems. I maybe have a chat with my seat mate etc...

I never chat to my seat mates in J... I think I've spoken 5 sentences to 2 people out of all the J flying I've done.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
I see no difference in a secluded suite in first class to overnight bedroom accommodations on a train, which has been an acceptable mode of transportation for over a century.

100% correct. Thoroughly enjoyed my "roomette" on Amtrak from Chicago to San Francisco  Smile Never had an experience like that train trip for the sheer variety of people I met.

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 8):
I agree. Being flashy is way too important to most people, in my opinion. I'm all for living comfortable, but there isn't really a fine line between flashy and comfortable. Personally, I find private jets to be the ultimate waste. I know many of you will respectfully disagree with me.

Flying in First is hardly flashy. You're first off the plane, your bags come off first - on a BKK-SYD on BA, we arrived at 6:05am and I was at MY HOUSE at 7:15am (granted our house is 10 minutes from the airport, but the sheer speed of everything was astonishing).

You'll also find that a lot of people with private jets have one because it's more convenient for them.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

AA757200

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:37 am

I am affraid you are off the mark, and have clearly never been in a flagship first class suite on AA. One of the best in the air, by most accounts.

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 am

I find private jets to be the ultimate waste. I know many of you will respectfully disagree with me.

I respectfully disagree. I have flown them a few times and loved it. Every time I have been on them I was a guest though, I just don't want to shell out the money for them. They are the ultimate way to travel. No security, no lines, leave when you want to, go where you want, when you want. I also don't see them as flashy since most of the time you board them at a different part of the airport where no one can really see you.

AirSpare

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:41 am

Star, getting a pickup from the airline is truely incredible. But...

Are you kidding me... AA

The Flagship Suite is better then decent.

BA / NZ offer very close

BA's current F pruduct is inferior to AA's. I just flew F from LAD to MCO on BA/AA.

The nice thing about F, and I'll fly it when I can, is that you can truely relax and get some serious rest. Guys, when you spend 3 months on a project from hell, cramped in a crap hotel room, F is sweet.

I kind of miss AA's old biz seats. Sure, they were all mechanical, but to repeat myself, the Lazy Boy style seat is comfortable. I like it much better then flat at an angle. Plus you had room to put a newspaper and a drink, then get up to use the can. BA style pods are inferior (though they are soon gone). New is not always better, just newer. Some AA warmed over nuts, a beer and I was good for a 8+ hour flight. ZZZzzzzzzz.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

aerorobnz

Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:39 am

No. You are paying to be in a smaller cabin with a higher ratio of flight attendants to passengers. Business class cabins, while more and more comfortable are still large and impersonal compared to the First Class offerings on carriers that still offer 1st class as well as business such as LA,TN,SQ,TG,EK.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

beechnut

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:00 am

On the other hand I have had more luck getting a seat next to a hottie in economy than either business or first...

Beech

fbgdavidson

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:39 am

F is certainly not an unnecessary product. Sure some airlines the difference between F and J is slight, especially those offering a decent flat bed product in J. However the all round better ground facilities and all round aspects that come with flying F such as a better crew to passenger ratio, more meal choices and larger seat do keep airlines offering F. If it was unnecessary airlines wouldn't be making any money and would be withdrawing it. Sure we've seen some elements of that but on certain routes there will always be F class demand.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 3):
It just seems to me that when you pull up in such a car or sit in such a seat you are attracting too much attention for my tastes.

How can you be attracting to much attention? On the majority of flights with 3 (or four) classes internationally I've been on the boarding has been done through 2L so those in F don't get interrupted by all the boarding passengers. Who are you getting attention from?

Personally, I find private jets to be the ultimate waste. I know many of you will respectfully disagree with me.

Hardly. My boss and some colleagues had to do a daytrip yesterday to a midwest city and with only one flight per day from our city he wouldn't have been able to do it. Thanks to our private jet fleet he was able to do the trip, and with the number of people travelling it was probably not much more to use the Challenger 300 versus flying commercially. A hell of a lot more convenient too.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Ealsys1

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:52 am

Do you know what xenophobic means?? What does fear of foreigners have to do with wanting privacy on a flight? If you are flying alone, want to sleep or want your privacy, there is NOTHING wrong with these "pods".

AeroWesty

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting EALSYS1 (Reply 16):
Do you know what xenophobic means??

It means the fear or dislike of strangers or of the unknown.
International Homo of Mystery

AA777

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:08 am

I think it depends... personally I've flown J class on BA several times on long long journeys and its SOOOO much better than flying Y on the same route / route of equal distance. The fact that you can recline and stretch out in your seat means you will arrive at your destination much less tired, cranky etc. I think this applies to any standard of J class vs. standard Y class. Even AA's J on their T7's, which is def. inferior to that of BA's J on their T7's will be much, much much more comfortable in the long haul than Y class would have been. (even the difference between UA's Economy and Economy plus is pretty big, to me..... but I am 6'3").

As far as F goes, I figure, if you're willing to shell out a ridiculous amount of money (some fares are equal to that of economy cars) then you darn well be treated like a king and pampered, and be kept in your own cabin/pod, whatever you wanna call it. But give me a business class seat and I'm a happy camper.

-AA777

a380us

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:58 pm

ive flown f on AA CX and J on VS AA SQ JL DL CO LH
and well put it short I HATED F.
It sucks all the fun out of flying, now J they treat you very nicley you are comfortable yet still feel like your on a plane
www.JandACosmetics.com

Stitch

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:33 pm

I don't sleep on planes, so I never saw the value of International First until I took an award trip with F segments on NH, SQ, LH and UA and I have to say, across the board, it was better then Business on all those carriers by a decent margin. The extra service, comfort, and convenience was appreciated even more since I was awake almost the entire time (I actually did nap a bit on UA and SQ).

laca773

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
and gold, but we are talking about wether F was worth it over J, and that's all I said. AA international F is better than J on the planes I've flown J, hands down. Better seats, better food. The AA lounge at Flagship Lounge at LAX is also nice considering it's such a small international station for them.

But my experience with international F is limited, and I'm dying to fly SQ or EK to learn what it's "supposed to be like"

And yet I don't feel the need for cabin doors and likely would leave mine open if offered.

If we are going to compare U.S. carriers- UA & AA's F product to the likes of carriers where they compete against:
One World {as an example}
LHR: BA
CDG: AF
FRA: LH
NRT: JL, NH, SQ
There is NO COMPARISON to the likes of any of these carriers who offer P {F} compared to AA & UA. AA & UA's product don't even come close to matching any of the above, plain and simple as that. In fact, I'd hope that AA would try and improve their product especially on routes like, LHR & NRT where their OneWorld partners, BA & JL respectively have flights and code share on one another. There's no comparing apples and oranges here. If people are thinking that, then it's a bad joke straight across the board. If I had the opportunity to fly F on any Star Alliance or OneWorld route that I can choose between UA & AA vs one of their international partners on the same route, the obvious and automatic choice would be their partners as the product is far superior to that of our U.S. carriers offerings.

Quoting AA757200 (Reply 10):

I am affraid you are off the mark, and have clearly never been in a flagship first class suite on AA. One of the best in the air, by most accounts.

AA757200, I feel that's "your" opinion in regards to "One of the best in the air by most accounts". It's by far one of the worst P cabins and inflight services/amentities when you sit down and compare their offering even to their OneWorld Partners as well as Star and SkyTeam. You can't even compare AA to BA or JL or CX and most likely QF!

LACA773

Beaucaire

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:08 pm

In all honesty I prefer a rather more traditional,open F-class environment,since being closed up in a box for 10 hours is not really my thing..
This style of travel cuts you off from your seat-neigbours in a certain way and confines you to a TV/computer-screen.
I don't care about computer or TV screens in a plane and prefer communicating with my seat-neighbour - if the seat-neigbour feels like it.....
The obsession to impose 200 TV/film/computer game programs on flights is a clear indication, that people need to be constantly entertained or brainwashed.Space,great food-service,a good selection of onboard magazines/newspapers/books is in my eyes worth more than golden prison-cells..
Air travel can be a great means to meet interesting people and broaden your scope of knowledge.But that only works if passengers are allowed to see and speak to each other.If I had the choice between a cell-F-class and an open one-my choice would be for the latter.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

sllevin

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:12 pm

AA (and i'm sorry to say almost all US carriers) 1st class offerings are very paltry and somewhat wide of the mark.

AA's hard product (the Flagship Suite) is an excellent product just now being bettered by other airlines. Service isn't at quite a high level, I'll agree. I just flew BR's F SFO-TPE, and while it was *old* -- basically their business class seats with lots of room so they could lay flat -- the service was excellent. And on a flight where I wanted to stay up (to minimize jetlag) service was more important that privacy.

Quoting AirSpare (Reply 12):
I kind of miss AA's old biz seats. Sure, they were all mechanical, but to repeat myself, the Lazy Boy style seat is comfortable. I like it much better then flat at an angle.

I totally agree. KL's J seat is the best 'recliner' out there that I've been in, but it's still not quite as good as the old seats -- and as a "flat" bed it sucks.

Quoting AA777 (Reply 18):
As far as F goes, I figure, if you're willing to shell out a ridiculous amount of money (some fares are equal to that of economy cars)

Depending upon what you do, it's not that bad. I recently paid $9000 for a oneworld RTW in First (starting it today, actually, sitting in the CX lounge at TPE typing this) that routes:

TPE-HKG-LHR//LHR-WAW//WAW-LHR-EDI//EDI-LHR-LAX-SJC//SJC-DFW-MCO//MCO-DFW-SJC//SFO-JFK//JFK-YVR-HKG//HKG-TPE

Business was about 2500 USD less, but there's a lot more flexibility in the F ticket because there's generally more discount F available than discount J on the key routes.

Steve

Lufthansa

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:35 pm

I think if you are that Xenophobic that you have to have your own pod, with its own door, to travel in on a commercial airline, then you probably should just stay home. What do you think?

I'd say you're just cheap. If we all took that attitude, there would be no such thing as a Gulfstream, a citation and certainly no BBJ. This situation is basically this. You're not willing to pay for it. The product is better then what's on offer in J without question. It's just not for you. It was never intended for cheapskates. I'd be careful.... although it might not seem like it now, that attitude is regressive. It's about lowering the bar.... and in a few years, keep it up and you may find yourself saying the same thing about the business class you are now willing to pay for.

I worked for a chap like that. He started out a trader for a bank flying business class all the time... his last trip from Melbourne to New York got down to the extent that he flew Jestar to HNL, then had a 15 layover, and then 3 stops on DL in economy to save just $240 over the basically seemless one-stop Qantas offering. total trip time 41 hrs. It starts off little bit by little bit cutting back and before you know it, although u have the ability to be living a good life you're actually living at a lower standard then somebody who earns far less money... so ask yourself this question then...what on earth was all that hard work for? Why put yourself thru it if you can't enjoy the benefits of it?

tf39

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Well, yes - of course it is. But consuming various cheeses, ports, and any other indulgeange that you could buy at the local grocery store but at 35K feet for the price of a small car (assuming a long-haul flight) does make you feel somewhat special now doesn't it. Of course it depends upon whose dime is being spent.

As far as talking to your neighbor, don't bore them with your stories - assuredly they're good folks but equally just as boring as you and they're just trying to count the minutes until landing. Sorry, I like variety with the IFE, especially if I'm in the middle of the tube and can't see outside anyway.

JuniorSpotter

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:52 pm

I see and understand what the tread-starter means, and I think that the discussion builds on the way people look at money. I wasn't born to a family with lots of money, and I'm not really a millionaire myself nowadays. Thus making me think that First Class - or whatever - is more than I need. When I go flying, I want to go from point A to point B. That's all. Of course, it is annoying with people climbing all over you sometimes, it's even more annoying when someone "steals" your arm-rest, and let's not even get started on them screaming kids (even though I have two of my own, but they're always such angels while flying  Wink ). Still, as I stated - I'm going from point A to point B. How did we manage to fly in the early years, when there were no such thing as First Class and so on? We still got where we wanted, and we survived...right?

This sort of thinking applies to anything out there - why go to Thailand when I can go to Mallorca for a third of the price? You get the sun, you get the beaches and you get your drinks. Why buy a Rolls, when I can buy myself a Volvo and it'll cost me half the price of a Rolls? I get the comfort, I get the safety-issues and I get myself a transportation. And why buy a Gucci-suit...and so on and so on and so on.

My hard-earned money is needed elsewhere, and that's where I'll put it. And that is why I (and some people here) think that First Class is completely useless to us. But if you have the money to spend - enjoy, dammit! Enjoy it like kings!

...and I'll see you at the arrival-hall.  Wink
If something can go wrong, it will.

Beaucaire

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting TF39 (Reply 25):
As far as talking to your neighbor, don't bore them with your stories - assuredly they're good folks but equally just as boring as you and they're just trying to count the minutes until landing

In a previous life I used to travel extensively in C and sometimes F-class.There were a number of interesting business-contacts initiated onboard ,simply by speaking to other passengers on that same flight.
I would never bore people with conversations if they don't respond accordingly.Getting confined ina cubicle prevents this type of contacts.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

GneissGuy

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:39 pm

If there is demand there will be supply. Enough said.

UN_B732

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:49 pm

I think it depends on what we're talking about. Domestic F, (except for transcon on CO, maybe) is overpriced, and not worth the extra moneyy. International F is.. well.. if they've got the money to waste, I say go for it, even though the F and J difference is pretty small at most carriers.
-A
What now?

toptravel

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I love the peace and quite if the F/C cabin, no neighbours no silly chit chat, time to be with yourself on a 22 hour flight, priceless. Anything for me now at age 60 that involves a flight longer than 10 hours, I'll opt for the F/C cabin, I'd rather be planted in a cardboard box when I'm gone than endue 22 hours of torture whilst I'm still capable of human feelings.

I really like the privacy of EK's A340 F/C suites, the best in the air at the moment.

UAL777UK

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 9):
AY, RJ, QF, BA, or in F on BA) is because there are always people moving about, and I can be seen sleeping. A private cabin would mean I'd be more likely to get to sleep without any issues as it would hopefully have some more sound protection than a normal seat.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 20):
I don't sleep on planes, so I never saw the value of International First until I took an award trip with F segments on NH, SQ, LH and UA and I have to say, across the board, it was better then Business on all those carriers by a decent margin. The extra service, comfort, and convenience was appreciated even more since I was awake almost the entire time (I actually did nap a bit on UA and SQ).

I have to agree on the above, you may get your lie flat bed in J, but more often than not, its a very compact cabin i.e seats all on top of each other, more people moving around etc.

The F cabin is much more spacious, obvioulsy less people and makes for a very restful, relaxing experience.

OA260

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 17):
It means the fear or dislike of strangers or of the unknown.

Comes from the Greek word ''Xenos'' Stranger/Foreigner.

I actually think that UA in J is a very nice product. I prefer the cradle seat to be honest. I have gotten a much better sleep in those . KU in F class is good.

People have this obsession with flatbeds and they are not always the best. Everyone sleeps differently and prefers different kinds of support , softer or hard seats etc... Its a matter of personal prefference.

With regards the above post by Classiclover I dont chat to my seat mate for ages but do say hi and have a 4-5 mins conversation then I get on with my own thing like watch TV or sleep etc... I have sat next to people who dont even smile or say hi !!! Very ignorant indeed!!!!

gh123

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Opinions are one thing.

Back to the simple economic concept.

If the demand is there - then supply will be also.

maddog888

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting JuniorSpotter (Reply 26):
Still, as I stated - I'm going from point A to point B. How did we manage to fly in the early years, when there were no such thing as First Class and so on? We still got where we wanted, and we survived...right?

Yes, but we had those darling air stewardesses with the jaunty hats, pencil skirts and stiletto heels to distract us. I'd take them over multi IFE any day.

Wink

J

loalq

Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 pm

If you have to check the price of First before buying it, then it is a waste.
For those who couldn't care less for the price, it is not.

Still, I suppose flying Business over Economy is still a greater difference than flying First over Business.
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 24):
I'd say you're just cheap.

That is a rather narrow minded thing to say, since you don't even know me. I tend to spend a lot of money on quality things, not things that stroke my ego

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 24):
If we all took that attitude, there would be no such thing as a Gulfstream, a citation and certainly no BBJ.

I have flown on both the Gulfstream and the BBJ and one day hope to own one. Comparing a jet to a seat is rather foolish.

fbgdavidson

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
People have this obsession with flatbeds and they are not always the best. Everyone sleeps differently and prefers different kinds of support , softer or hard seats etc... Its a matter of personal prefference.

Do you own a bed at home? Is it flat or do you sleep on a Lazyboy?  biggrin 

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 29):
I think it depends on what we're talking about. Domestic F, (except for transcon on CO, maybe) is overpriced, and not worth the extra moneyy.

Not always. If you can get one of those QUP/YUP fares then it can be a bargain. My wife and I flew from the East Coast to Hawaii in F on AA for $1800 per person. For 22hrs of flying I felt that was a great deal. The fares can often get silly, usually when only full fare F is available, but to say domestic F isn't worth it is a fairly sweeping statement.

Quoting Toptravel (Reply 30):
I love the peace and quite if the F/C cabin, no neighbours no silly chit chat, time to be with yourself on a 22 hour flight, priceless. Anything for me now at age 60 that involves a flight longer than 10 hours, I'll opt for the F/C cabin, I'd rather be planted in a cardboard box when I'm gone than endue 22 hours of torture whilst I'm still capable of human feelings.

Couldn't have put it much better myself.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

OA260

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 37):
Lazyboy?

Lazy girl actually LOL.....  Wink

Stitch

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 22):
In all honesty I prefer a rather more traditional,open F-class environment,since being closed up in a box for 10 hours is not really my thing..

I agree, which is why I preferred the UA and one of the NH segments the most because they were on 777's and the cabins felt less constrained. SQ, while very nice, seemed cramped in the nose of the 744 as did the NH 744 segment. LH being upstairs on the 744 also helped because of the greater sense of space.

christiaan

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:39 pm

If one can afford nice cars, houses, "F" class..why not do it? We are here only once, might as well have a good time wth it.
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright 1932

TACAA320

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
I've flown F internationally on AA and QF, and it is a better trip experience than flying J on the carriers I've flown J on.

With all due respect [100% of respect to your opinion]. AA's F class is crap compared with the vast majority of airlines offering such service.

DISCLAIMER: Just my personal opinion.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Stitch

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 41):
With all due respect [100% of respect to your opinion]. AA's F class is crap compared with the vast majority of airlines offering such service.

Where UA and AA fall flat in International F is their "soft product". Things like ground staff and flight attendants, catering, lounges, IFE and such. Their "hard product" - the actual seat itself - is pretty good. But even then, a lot of it depends on who you get.

Sure, the LH F Terminal clubs the UA F Lounge at FRA like a baby harp seal. But when I arrived at FRA on UA the lounge was quiet, they kept the food and liquor stocked, and the showers were hot. And I actually hung out at the UA F lounge in NRT on the way back because it was larger then the closet the old NH F lounge was (I understand the new one is much larger).

My UA crew from ORD were consistently present and they stuffed me to the gills during the meal service so I honestly wasn't hungry the rest of the flight so the lack of variety of mid-flight snacks didn't bother me. And they were far more friendly and approachable then the LH and SQ FAs which was nice when I wanted to stretch my legs and pass some time in the galley.

Yes, LH, SQ and NH all had better catering. And the IFE was superior. And the SQ and NH crews were more "deferential" in their service towards me. But I found the UA crew in the air and on the ground (especially in my home market of SEA) to be excellent, caring, and competent.

Unfortunately, for UA and AA that is the exception, where for many of "The Nationals" it is the rule...

incitatus

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:22 am

Yawn...
Should the owners of private jets also stay home because their gadgets are too ostentatious?
Live and let live man!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

TACAA320

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 42):

Yes, LH, SQ and NH all had better catering. And the IFE was superior.

Indeed. As well as CX [among many others] and even LA [which I consider the best in LatAm].
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:42 am

I'm confused over this one. You posit the argument that F is ostentatious and yet you hope to own either a BBJ or gulfstream one day...?

My opinion- if you can afford to fly F - go for it!

Quoting Airfoilsguy "I have flown on both the Gulfstream and the BBJ and one day hope to own one. Comparing a jet to a seat is rather foolish.

JrMafia90

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 am

I like the idea because you have more privacy and more space on those extra-long flights. I think it is def. worth it.

a380us

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 21):
There is NO COMPARISON to the likes of any of these carriers who offer P {F} compared to AA & UA. AA & UA's product don't even come close to matching any of the above, plain and simple as that. In fact, I'd hope that AA would

WRONG
if your talking about the 737 then ok
But at least AA there first class on the 777 is nice in both flagship and the coffin style
www.JandACosmetics.com

jbernie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 am

For me if i was travelling with my SO then the pod setup seems rather counter productive as I would be wanting to have easy access to them so we can talk and such. The setup seems to be such that you are in effect flying alone.

Having only ever travelled through Business class to get to the back of the plane  Wink Business seems ot be a more friendly setup. You do have privacy for laying back for sleep and all but when seated up right it is more normal.

Having said all that, if someone wanted to send me first class... sure thing, i wont say no. One of those things which I would like to do even if only once.

BOSGRU

Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:27 am

First is nice, especially a 'pod' if your alone with your lass on a long haul flight...if you know what i mean! other than that...first is just for extra space and privateness....i personally prefer business...but when im with my lady i like first.

cheers

BOSGRU