Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Great Aviation Trips - The Dream List ...

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:58 am

You know the old song, "if I were a rich man"; as aviation enthusiasts, we all have dreams of what we'd do - the trips, the dream journeys. What would yours be? Where are the places you'd like to visit, the trips you'd like to do?

1. MiG 29 flight, Zhukovski - don't know if they still do these, but I'd love to experience it!
2. "Northern Exposure": From Seattle to Anchorage, flying into all the small fishing towns - Sitka, Ketchikan, Cordova etc, in between.
3. Same in Norway: from Stavanger to Bodo ...
4. Flying into Santiago, Chile - window seat
5. Jump seat ride into Santos Dumont, Rio
6. Any 707 flight I can get!
7. Berlin - Tempelhof, before it's too late!
8. Flight Simulator experience - Kai Tak (well, it would have to be - I'm sure some simulators must have Kai Tak still loaded on their systems?)
9. Flying long haul first class, with a top class airline - just once.
10. Catalina flight.

Over to you!

HT

RE: Great Aviation Trips - The Dream List ...

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
4. Flying into Santiago, Chile - window seat

Excuse my ignorance, but what is special about SCL ?

7. Berlin - Tempelhof, before it's too late!

Can be done easily:
Air Service Berlin conducts pleasure flights out of THF with a C-47.
http://www.air-service-berlin.de/index.php5?page=1-0-0-0-1-2-2&lang=2

You know the old song, "if I were a rich man"; as aviation enthusiasts, we all have dreams of what we'd do - the trips, the dream journeys. What would yours be? Where are the places you'd like to visit, the trips you'd like to do?

Flying as pax in a Spitfire.
I once saw a two-seater in Duxford EGSU, but back then the ride was obesively expensive for me and I chose the next best ride in a DH-89 Dragon Rapide.
-HT

EDIT: typo

[Edited 2007-07-17 22:12:45]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

GEnxPower

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:34 am

How about return trip on the Shuttle and 5 day stay on the ISS for about $25 million dollars? Now that's really rich.

Some things money can't buy though, like a variation of what you said, a ride on the jump seat on maximum landing weight A380 going into Kai Tak, and 25 knots crosswind! BRING IT ON! The same for all the military planes, you can't buy a ticket on most of those, SR-71? B2 Bomber? "Aurora"? Eurofighter?

I would love to fly on the Concorde too. I guess that chance is totally gone.

Something realistic for me would be a B777-300ER long haul ride, first class on SQ. Oh wait.. looking at my financial situation, I guess that's not any more realistic either!

[Edited 2007-07-17 22:41:29]

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:48 am

The Shuttle as someone said - carefactor on the ISS, to get into space would rock!

But the holy grail for me is the RAF VC10. I've every piece of literature about the aircraft I can lay my hands on and desperately want to take a flight!!

Boeing 707 - yes, absolutely.

Wouldn't mind a DC-8 flight either.

Two that won't happen - CV880/990 and Concorde. But nevermind!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Sabena332

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 am

I would fly across Russia for a month when I would have the money, flying on all these different airlines there with their Tupolevs, Ilyushins, Antonovs, etc. would be awesome.

Something that even the highest amount of money can't buy: A TU-144 flight.

MiG 29 flight

Yeah, that is also a dream of me!

Jump seat ride into Santos Dumont, Rio

Also nice!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

futurecaptain

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:47 am

I would love to one day own my own small plane and have enough money to simply leave town and go flying. It would be awesome to see the country from a few thousand feet up at 150mph and see a few things in every state.

Or pilot a seaplane once.

Beach at SXM anyone?
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

VHVXB

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
Excuse my ignorance, but what is special about SCL ?

Perhaps flying over the Andes Mountain Range?

fllcontinental

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 pm

For me, it would be taking an LTU tourism flight to the North Pole with a window seat or owning my own private jet and being able to fly all over the world.

LTU Flight - $2000
Private Jet - $20000000
Getting to View the World from 30000 feet - Priceless
There are some things money cant buy, for everything else there's mastercard.  tongue 

Jeremy

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:37 pm

I've done 7 and 9 so I will choose 6. I need that 707!
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

TrijetsRMissed

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:46 pm

I have always been jealous of a cousin of mine who flew a DL routing in the '90s that included:

SEA-SLC 727
SLC-ATL L-1011
ATL-ZUR MD-11

A tri-jet lovers dream!

I'd really love to go back in time and fly on any widebody in the pre-deregulation era. Back in the days where 747's had lounges and bars.

I guess a more realistic trip I'd really enjoy would be flying world business class on a newly refurbished KL MD-11.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

YYZflyer

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Fly to SXM
Fly on a 707. Hope I can fly with Saha Air
Fly first class long haul with QF, SQ, EK, QR, EY etc.
Fly on a 727. Hopefully with Champion Air
Go to Antarctica
Fly on an SR-71 (will never happen) and F-22
Get a chance to fly on another L1011

airplane 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

av8orwalk

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Laying naked on the beach at SXM--ALL DAY LONG! Waiting for the 747's!

Ok, you can take out the naked part. But remember, this is my dream!  Smile

Drew
MCO
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

AlexPorter

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Hmm... I think I'll just plan a fantasy RTW trip (using real flights, though), starting in PHX.
1. PHX-MSP Sun Country B738 Seat 2A (First Class). Gotta stop at home of course!
2. MSP-ORD American MD83 Seat 4F (First Class). I've always liked Chicago.
3. ORD-YYZ American MD83 Seat 4F (First Class). I grew up in MSP but I've never been to Canada, so why not visit its premiere city?
4. YYZ-DCA Air Canada E174 Seat 2A (Executive Class). Always lots to do in Washington! And the Smithsonians are free!
5. DCA-EWR Continental B733 Seat 1A (First Class). No explanation necessary. Unless you're one of those that doesn't understand that EWR serves New York City.
6. EWR-BOS Continental B735 Seat 2A (First Class). I've always wanted to visit Boston... I'm not sure what all there is to do there, but I'm sure I can find stuff to do.
7. BOS-MAD Iberia A343 (Highest class). I've been to Madrid before, and it was fun.
8. MAD-CDG Air France A321 (Highest class). I was there for five weeks and I gotta hit up the old hangouts like our favorite restaurant and favorite bar.
9. CDG-LHR British Airways A321 (Highest class). I've never been to London, or to any foreign country that speaks English.
10. LHR-AMS British Airways A321 (Highest class). Amsterdam is fun, apparently.
11. AMS-BRU KLM Cityhopper F70 (Highest class). I've heard decent things about Brussels - plus I can fly on a Fokker before they all disappear, and on a Dutch airline too.
12. BRU-GVA Brussels ARJ-100 (Highest class). My friend has been in Switzerland and he still hasn't shut up about it.
13. GVA-MXP Alitalia AT72 (Highest class). Milan! Rich people go there, so it must be cool, right?
14. MXP-SVO Alitalia A321 (Highest class). Moscow has apparently recovered nicely from the Soviet era. Lots of rich people, and it's expensive to live there. At the very least, there are things to see there, like the Red Square and that big church thing, etc.
15. DME-SIN Singapore B772 Seat 12A (Raffles Class). Gotta try out Singapore! Specifically the airline! But I'll go see the city, too.
16. SIN-HKG Singapore B744 Seat 2F (First Class). What RTW trip would be complete without a 747?
17. HKG-NRT Cathay Pacific B773 Seat 14K (Business Class). Tokyo is one of the most important cities in the world, so I should probably visit it.
18. NRT-SFO ANA B773 Seat 1A (First Class). I've never been to San Francisco either. Lately I've really wanted to visit California for some reason, so why not?
19. SFO-LAX Alaska B738 Seat 2F (First Class). Never really been to LA either - only to a regular FB game at the Rose Bowl and that was a bus trip. No visits to LAX, or the beach, or anywhere like that.
20. SNA-PHX US Airways B752 Seat 2A (First Class). This is a short flight. On a 757-200. From SNA. This should be a fun takeoff. And it brings us right back to where we started from.

Biggest plane: Boeing 747-400
Smallest plane: ATR-72 (well, maybe one of the RJs is smaller, but I automatically give a "bonus" to the jets, and this is a turboprop)
Longest flight: Moscow-Singapore
Shortest flight: Amsterdam-Brussels
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

TR1

Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 pm

For me.....

1) To experience very high altitude flight on a TR1 spyplane (hence the screen name!)
2) First Class on a SQ/CX/EK/QR/EY long-haul flight
3) Sample a Russian airliner: IL-62/IL-96/TU-134/TU-154
4) Go around the world via a southern route:
BOS-JFK JetBlue EMB-190
JFK-GRU TAM A330
GRU-JNB SAA A340
JNB-MRU Air Mauritius A319
MRU-PER Air Mauritus A340
PER-SYD Qantas A330
SYD-AKL-SCL LAN A340
SCL-EZE-MIA Aerolineas Argentinas A310
MIA-BOS American 757

One can only dream....

Steve

jetfuel

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:25 am

9. Flying long haul first class, with a top class airline - just once.

I did that and now I can NEVER fly Y again. It will ruin you forever. Now I am loathed to fly as I cant always afford the luxury
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

A320ajm

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting Fllcontinental (Reply 7):
owning my own private jet and being able to fly all over the world.

Absoluely.

My dream would be to fly on or actually fly concorde as i never got a chance.

Regards
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'