Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

National757
Topic Author

Undergraduate Internships In Aviation

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:43 am

I just received an e-mail containing a real great internship opportunity with the city of Phoenix Department of Aviation I wanted to share with everyone. It's a shame I don't have my degree yet or I would jump at the chance to intern with the City of Phoenix!

Aviation Intern
US - Phoenix, AZ
City of Phoenix
EXPERIENCE Requires a bachelor’s degree in airport/aviation management, public administration, business administration, political science, communication or other related degree.

What are some other undergraduate internships available in the aviation industry? I know Southwest has there successful No Limits intern program. Any other airlines? United? American?

One internship I am thinking of applying for is working for the Boyd Group in Colorado. Looks to be a unique experience and would give me a glimpse in the world of aviation consulting. Anyone have any internship success stories? Has anyone here on A.net started their career in aviation through an internship?

National757
Topic Author

RE: Undergraduate Internships In Aviation

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 am

Ahh nothing at all guys? You can do better than that! What about sending a cover letter.resume or video unsolicited to someone at United? Considering doing something different to show I am more than just a piece of paper (Resume)

pdxtriple7

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:53 am

I've been searching for summer opportunities, but I've failed to find much. Thanks for posting the Boyd Group opportunity. I will definately look into that for next summer. I know Boeing has a fair amount of internships in all sorts of fields: marketing, finance, engineering, computer science, etc. I think most airlines have very small programs at their bases. I'm pretty sure NWA has something in Minnesota.

What are you specifically interested in? I know a college student on here got a job working as a CSA for a regional airline out of RDU.

National757
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:48 am

Thanks for the reply. That internship opportunity with the Boyd grouprnsounds interesting and challenging. If you end up applying let us all know here on A.net how it goes!

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 2):

What are you specifically interested in?

Having seen all the different parts of an airline in action, the area that fascinated me the most was revenue management. I find the analysis of all the routes served by an airline and the maximizing of the revenue on each particular route fascinating.

Finding an internship in revenue management has proved to be a challenge however since I have found that many airlines don't really have published openings for interns in revenue management...including the airline I work for!

kith

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:07 am

JetBlue has a large area on their website, United as well, NW (I think engineers) and American. I interned at American at JFK last summer, amazing experience. Contact me via my profile if you want to learn more. -Matt in KITH

N231YE

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 am

Some of the best internships are not advertised. It helps to know some people, and to "get your foot in the door."

Ask me, I am a college student in an awesome internship at this moment.

pdxtriple7

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:03 pm

I also forgot, I think Evergreen Interntional based in Oregon has some internships available.

Adam T.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am

Just to put it out there I saw opportunities on Delta's website for internship opportunities with them. Its on the job opportunities section of their website.

AlexPorter

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:30 am

I've looked online at various internships before, but lots of them say that they want someone who's majoring specifically in aviation management, or are going to be pilots or something like that. I'm majoring in Supply Chain Management at ASU, and next summer I'd really like to get an internship with the operations of an airline that relates to my major. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? I'd prefer something with US, NW, or SY since I go to school where US is headquartered, and I'm originally from the Twin Cities where NW and SY are based, but other airlines are also okay. I prefer passenger stuff but it doesn't have to be. Any ideas?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

CVG777

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:04 am

Last summer (2006) I interned at Frontier Airlines in their Scheduling and Planning Department for three months. Overall, it was a great learning experience, and I really enjoyed it. Some of my duties: I created several reports that focused on profitability of specific routes, worked on new North American and Mexico routes, learned how to quote charters, and also did SWAT and other analyses of different competitors, among other projects as assigned (luckily, this did not include fetching anyone's coffee). I even worked on some early Lynx stuff, including the RFP that was sent to different communities for incentives. In the months after I left it was really neat to see new routes announced that I had worked on, or the schedules changed based on my recommendations, and even to track charter flights that I had quoted.

The internship was available through my Career Services office at ERAU. I did a phone interview in early March, and a week later they flew me to Denver for the day to do a face-to-face interview. (Yes, a daytrip from Orlando to Denver...lots of flying that day).

One thing that I really enjoyed was where I was. Beyond the work that I did, I used my weekends and free time to explore the Rockies and the areas around Denver, and even did three nonrevs to Omaha, San Jose CA, and Salt Lake City. I looked at the internship as an opportunity to experience a place that I had never been to, which was one reason I looked for an intership.

My advice is to start applying early, or at least contact the companies that you are interested in early. Also, look at the all-around experience of the internship, that is, beyond just the job description. I used the opportunity to see a place that I otherwise wouldn't be able to go. You also don't want to spend a semester or an entire summer living somwhere miserable. Once you get there, be professional and go above and beyond. Once those I worked with realized that I was dedicated and reliable, I was entrusted to work on some projects that otherwise would probably never have been mentioned in front of an intern. There are some things that I worked on that I still will not share with anyone.

I was slated to interview with PHX, but was offered the Frontier internship before the interview, so I had to cancel. I do know someone else who worked with them though. Many airlines have internships (Delta, American, Southwest, Comair, and Continental has many graduate level ones). Also, there are many airports, including general aviation airports, that offer internships. From what I have seen, these tend to focus heavily on operations and some administration. I know someone right now that is out in Casper, WY working for an airport, and also know someone who interned at MCO last summer. That MCO internship turned into a full time position for him that fall.

Internships are an excellent way to be introduced to the professional side of the industry, and I highly recommend doing one if you are interested. You may find exactly what you want to do, or may find that it is not what you want to spend the rest of your life doing. No matter what, it is an experience and great resume and network builder. Good luck!

Michael

National757
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 am

Great to hear about your experiences Michael! Sounds like you had some really great exerpeiences at F9 and I am sure the contacts you made will prove to be valuable as you progress through your career. Thanks for sharing that with all of us. What are you specializing in at ERAU?