Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Ansett767
Topic Author

Virgin Vs BA Premium Economy

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 am

Hi there,

Their products are pretty similar in terms of pitch, service etc.

Virgin has the following that BA doesnt:
pre flight drink, special check in and priority boarding.

However BA has a major advantage (well to some people it is)
Their baggage allowance

Virgin allows 23kg Hold and 6kg Hand

BA Allows 2 x 23kg = 46kg Hold and (I think?) 2 x7kg hand baggage for flights NOT departing UK. only one piece if departing or transferring in UK!

This is a massive difference!

AirTranTUS

RE: Virgin Vs BA Premium Economy

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:07 am

The Virgin seat is at least 2" (5 cm) wider than the BA seat. Virgin also has V-PORT.

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
Virgin allows 23kg Hold and 6kg Hand

VS says they allow 2x32kg in Prem. Econ. and 2x23kg in regular Econ. The number you quote is for VS flights to South Africa, Asia, Australia, Kenya, and Dubai only.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...rmation/baggage/baggagebypiece.jsp

BA allows 2x23kg in WT+ for all International flights, and either 1 or 2 x 23kg in WT depending on destination.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_us

BA may be better for those destinations restricted on VS, but VS is better everywhere else. If you are not taking more than 23kg though, I would say take VS for the bigger seat and IFE.

[Edited 2007-08-22 03:12:39]
I love ASO!

Ansett767
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
VS says they allow 2x32kg in Prem. Econ. and 2x23kg in regular Econ. The number you quote is for VS flights to South Africa, Asia, Australia, Kenya, and Dubai only.

I hate to tell you but thats all airlines pretty much that allow 2 bags to north america.

Its only you guys in America and Canada that get double baggage allowance. Im talking about the REST of the world here.

We do exist too  Smile lol

Virgin also has V-PORT

Pardon my ignorance but what is V Port?

flyaas80

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:07 am

I flew VS in June from ORD to LHR in premium economy... (flight was full in Y, only about 50% full in First and Premium Economy)

-The food and wine at dinner was terrific (I had the bangers and mash) w/a white wine.

-The pre-departure and after dinner beverages were fantastic (mimosa for pre-derparture and Bailey's on the rocks after dinner)

- Seat was very spacious and comfortable (loved the foot rest),

The only part that I was slightly disappointed with was the nearly AVOD personal IFE (I flew the A343), it was kind've annoying if I missed my movie and had to wait for 2 hours for it to come on again. Though there were so many movies and TV shows that the flight flew by (no pun intended).

Dinner....

Big version: Width: 2816 Height: 2112 File size: 1860kb
The only way to fly is by the seat of your pants...

fbgdavidson

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 am

Virgin also has V-PORT.

Not always. Virgin have three entertainment systems; V:Port, Odyssey and Nova (I think...) and which system you get depends on the aircraft. I believe none of the ex-LGW flights have V:Port.

Whilst I've heard V:Port is much better than BA's AVOD system the Odyssey and Nova systems are not.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

anstar

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:10 am

Wit Virgin you also get a more prmium meal service and have FA's dedicated to that cabin.

Virgin's new PE product is much better than BA's tired product.

cloudboy

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 am

But how do the prices compare? I have been doing a little research, and I am finding that the Virgin product is running a couple hundred more.

For that matter, how are Premium fares handled? Do they publish base fares, and do they vary with advanced prurchase, etc, like economy fares, or are they more standardized and set in price?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

vikinga346

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting Ansett767 (Thread starter):
BA Allows 2 x 23kg = 46kg Hold and (I think?) 2 x7kg hand baggage for flights NOT departing UK. only one piece if departing or transferring in UK!

I think BA has already updated their baggage weight restrictions to reflect the new policy. Starting in September (I THINK) BA will decrease their baggage weight allowance from 32kg to 23kg. I work for BA at PHL and in W class (Prem Economy) we allow 2 pieces of luggage to be checked, each weighing 32kg. In J and F class you can check 3 pieces of luggage, 32kg each.

Like I said, this is changing.. It's either Sep 1 or 30 I think, I need to dbl check that.

Viking
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

insiderinfo

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:43 pm

virgin has 3 class...BA 4 class..they target the same market in diffrent ways..not sure they really want to compete

virgin is after premium customers with 2-3 times fare for premium.

BA is after premium customers with 2 offerings WT+ 1 1/2 to 2 times fare and club world...at offer time only 2 1/2 to 3 times fare premium..

then of course there's virgin's upper class to really compete with BA club world..but that's their max offering...BA can offer first...which is globally in a league of it's own..

Ansett767
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 6):
But how do the prices compare? I have been doing a little research, and I am finding that the Virgin product is running a couple hundred more

ex SYD, VS is a few hundred cheaper if you get the discount Prem,. economy fares, compared to BA!

Quoting VikingA346 (Reply 7):
I think BA has already updated their baggage weight restrictions to reflect the new policy

Again I was quoting figures ex Rest of world, not ex US. BA used to be 1x 23 for Y and Y+, 30kg for J and 40kg for F.

Now it is 1x 23kg for Y, 2 x 23 for Y+ 3 x 23 for J(and F? i think!).... Either way its heaps more than Virgin ex rest of world.

The down side with BA is your bag cannot be 100g more than 23kg due to new OH&S restrictions. i.e. before flying J you could have had a bag 32kg and it would have been fine. Now, if it's 23.1 they pretty much won't accept it due to baggage handlers policy.

CRFLY

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm

I flew BA WTP (W) class last summer MIA/LHR/MIA and was excelent! I certainly believe BA has a better product than VS, especially as I've heard from friends and clients that you always know what to expect on BA, but VS is not as constant on the premium classes, as it is sometimes outstanding, sometimes average in terms of service.
AA, AB, AC, AM, AR, AV, BA, B6, CM, CO, CX, CZ, DL, EA, ET, GU, HX, IB, JJ, LA, LH, LP, LR, LX, MU, MX, PA, PT, QF, RG, SA, TA, TP, TZ, UA, VW, VX, VY, WS, Z8, 2K, 4O, 4Z

7LBAC111

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Of course VS have recently relaunched their Premium Economy product, and while everyone's preference is different, the VS product 'should' surpass that of BA. IMHO.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

AlanUK

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 pm

I would say Virgin's new Premium product is currently ahead of BA's, BUT:

Virgin is so inconsistent:
- old and new Premium
- 3 different types of entertainement
- some stations with dedicated check in and some without.

BA's current World Traveller Plus is consistent, and most importantly, it is available to many more destinations than Virgin's equivalent.

I have no doubt BA will respond with a new WT+ to compete with VS's latest upgrade.

The Virgin seat is at least 2" (5 cm) wider than the BA seat.

No. VS's premium on a 747 is 2-4-2, BA is 2-4-2 also, how can it be wider?!

7LBAC111

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 pm

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 12):
VS's premium on a 747 is 2-4-2, BA is 2-4-2 also, how can it be wider?!

Narrower aisles....  Smile

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

EI321

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 4):
Whilst I've heard V:Port is much better than BA's AVOD system the Odyssey and Nova systems are not.

I assume V PORT s only on the A340-600's? They are far superior to the offering on a BA 777 or 747. Haven't been on a VS 747 yet.

AlanUK

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 13):
Narrower aisles....

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so the aisles on VS are 20cm thinner each... that's 8 inches!! A trolley wouldn't fit in this aisle!!!

jwmd123

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 14):
I assume V PORT s only on the A340-600's? They are far superior to the offering on a BA 777 or 747. Haven't been on a VS 747 yet.

A bit of advice EI321, what ever you do, don't fly on a LGW based 747.

They are really tired and old.

Had a 10hr LAS-LGW flight last year with VS on a 747.

IFE did not work, seats were broke, plane was dirty, the list goes on.

In saying that I flew PE on VS to DXB last year and it was excellent.

Heading to SYD in October and will be able to sample VS's new PE then (Cannot wait)

AirTranTUS

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 12):
No. VS's premium on a 747 is 2-4-2, BA is 2-4-2 also, how can it be wider?!

I was looking at what SeatGuru had to say. Most of VS' Prem Econ on the 744's is on the upper deck and 2-2, same as BA's Club World. Not hard to imagine the seats being 20" wide up there.
I love ASO!

planemad

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 am

VS PE all the way. Amazing service and they make you feel special!!!! Also V:Port is great when you get it!

Sam D  Smile

FlyKev

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 pm

VS PE looks nice. Never tried it, will sometime.
As it stands, I believe all A346 have the new PE seats fitted, with the LHR refits due to start soon, finishing with the LGW I believe.
Reagrding IFE well:
V:Port is avaliable on all Heathrow flights that are 744 and A346
Odyssey is avaliable on all A343 Heathrow flights (except one thats returnign,a nd will apparently have V:port fitted)
Odyseey is also avaliable on 3 744's based at LGW (G-VAST, G-VXLG and G-VTOP)
Nova is avaliable on all other LGW based 744. These planes were ex-Alitalia (never took delivery) and therefore came with the IFE destined for Alitalia. You can also notice a few references tot he original customer, such as the toilet sign being in English / Italian.

A great mini site for the new PE is http://www.alotmorespace.com/

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

fbgdavidson

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting Insiderinfo (Reply 8):
virgin is after premium customers with 2-3 times fare for premium.

Not true,

Not sure they really want to compete

Are you kidding? Virgin and BA, not wanting to compete!?!?

then of course there's virgin's upper class to really compete with BA club world.

Again not true. I'm a pretty active member of the BA forum on Flyertalk and a number of VS Upper Class flyers are now flying on BA due to a number of cuts on the VS product, mainly the soft aspects.

BA can offer first...which is globally in a league of it's own..

Again, not true. Maybe 10yrs ago...

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 6):
Do they publish base fares, and do they vary with advanced prurchase, etc, like economy fares, or are they more standardized and set in price?

Priced just like any other ticket, APEX the lot...

Quoting EI321 (Reply 14):
I assume V PORT s only on the A340-600's?

Haven't the foggiest. www.v-flyer.com has a very nifty tool that shows the probability of getting a certain aircraft type, entertainment system etc.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

CarbHeatIn

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:00 am

LGW-MCO next month, who would you choose?

swiftski

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting CarbHeatIn (Reply 21):
LGW-MCO next month, who would you choose?

BA, due to the LGW fleet not being as fantastic as the LHR fleet.

Having worked for BA previously, I am not asamed to say I now fly VS whenever I can. Their premium product is wonderful. FWIW.

CarbHeatIn

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 22):
Having worked for BA previously, I am not asamed to say I now fly VS whenever I can. Their premium product is wonderful. FWIW

But not from LGW? You would pick BA from LGW?