Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TimePilot
Topic Author

Does Anyone Clap For Good Landings Anymore?

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:32 am

When I was a kid we regularly flew good old Swiss Air (SR126?) between Boston and Zurich. I remember back then upon landing in Boston there was almost always applause. I was told this was because Boston is a difficult airport to land at, being on an island (and the highly skilled pilots  Wink )

I remembered that this past month when flying JAL back to the US. Upon initial decent a forward-facing camera is switched on and left on until the aircraft is parked at the gate. I'm hardly a 747 pilot, but I thought the one we had that day did a fine job of landing us at O'Hare, yet no one said anything.

Is applauding a good landing a thing of the past? Maybe the Japanese are too reserved? Big grin

AlexPorter

RE: Does Anyone Clap For Good Landings Anymore?

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 am

Clapping depends on the part of the world. Clapping is not common in the United States, apparently not in Japan, and some other places. It is very common in Latin America. I'm not sure about Europe - my only two intra-Europe flights were between Paris and Madrid. When we landed there nobody clapped, but on the way back some people did but they were loud soccer fans.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

UncleBuck

Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:01 am

as Alex stated, clapping is frequent in Latin America, as well as places such as Puerto Rico, etc.

It is also not that uncommon on Florida flights.

PlymSpotter

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 am

I think to some extent it also depends on the quality of the approach and subsequent landing, if you get to land at all! Often during the winter months when I fly home in the late evening to PLH it's announced that we may have to divert to NQY instead, because of the weather, so after an approach which will scare the living daylights out of even the most seasoned flyer and a successful landing the first time around there is often a little applause - quite rightly too.

Generally though it does depend upon the customs of the majority nationality with whom you are flying; I've found Italians clap a lot, the Spanish don't, but instead get up and start pulling their bags out of the overheads as soon as the wheels are on the ground and the Germans act as if nothing has happened at all! silly 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Osprey88

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:55 am

I was on BA LHR-MXP and I vividly remember that the moment we touched the cabin shook with applause. Happened on the MXP-LHR return flight as well!
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

Adam T.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:24 am

In June when I flew from FRA to CLT on a US Airways A330 the entire plane clapped because we were an hour and 25 minutes early  Smile

Leskova

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:33 pm

In general, you can say that it happens more on European charter flights than on scheduled flights... at least judging from flights originating in Germany...

I'll leave it to you to decide why that's the case...  Wink
Smile - it confuses people!

EISHN

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Flying DUb-LAX with Aer Lingus, everyone clapped once we touched down. On the return flight, LAX-DUB, myself and my brother were the only ones clapping. We tried to get the ret of the plane to get going, but to no avail. Infact we gave it two goes. I've always experienced clapping on landing, and it's quite unusual not to here it.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

NG1Fan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:56 am

Try internal flights in Russia, and generally on Russian airliners where the majority of passengers are Russian. They will clap without fail.

I once asked my seatmate on a flight Krsanodar-Samara why passengers clapped - he mentioned it was a sign of appeciation to the pilot - thanking him for getting all and sundry there alive, irrespective of type of landing. Tradition, I guess.

NG1Fan

gunsontheroof

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:43 am

Landings on two flights I took this summer (CDG-HEL on AY and AMS-BOS on NW) were applauded. I'm reasonably certain that at least one during my 2005 trip to Finland was applauded as well. Never heard it on a U.S. domestic flight though...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

mdodd

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:20 am

Last time I was flying from MCO on COA. Applause for landing at EWR. Thats among the few times I have heard it, however.

IAHFLYR

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:32 am

After long delays for what ever the reason, I've heard clapping for "we have finally arrived"!  yawn 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

a380us

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:44 am

and also at TLV not so much on the return flights though
www.JandACosmetics.com

Faro

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 am

We very often clap on Egyptair flights, much more often than not in fact. And this is regardless of the destination airport or difficulty of landing, which to be frank, most passengers don't really know.
The chalice not my son

747fan

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:16 am

There was a large amount of clapping when I landed in Paris from Atlanta on DL22 in Oct. 06. However, most of it was started by me and the school group I was with, but most of the other passengers on the full flight joined in. That was the first time I ever heard clapping for a landing.

thepilot

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:54 am

Heard it a few times...

once on a UA 727 flight from STL to ORD, with a particularly bumpy approach into ORD but a smooth touchdown made everyone burst into applause.
On WN from ABQ to OAK, there were lots of rowdy girls soccer players, who were flirting with the male flight attendant. Once we landed, they all applauded very loud. It was cool.
On an NW Saab 340 out of GFK, the cabin actually applauded when we took off as we were quite late and spent a while on the ground. That was cool.

My personal favorite. I was taking three of my friends on a local flight in a rented Cessna 172. At BFI, there was a 15 knot tailwind, and we were getting rocked on final. I told the two girls and one guy to be ready for anything, most likely a go around, and there will be plenty of bumps on the way down. Sure enough there was lots of turbulence, and as we got to the runway, I touched down smooth as silk on the runway. I was the last plane down before they switched the runways. All three of my passengers, as soon as I had slowed down, burst into applause, and patted me on the back (got a kiss from one of the girls). Definitely the most gratifying landing I have done in my young pilot career.
From YVR

InbarD

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:45 am

People generally clap after a landing on LY flights. I saw one person clap on a QF flight and no body joined him.

jamesbuk

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:08 am

I was on a First Choice flight back from Fueterventura to stansted and upon landing most people clapped. Maybe because it was a female captain?  silly 

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

B777Neuss

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:37 am

I never clap because I think it´s the job of the pilot to bring us down safely.  Wink
But clapping does not mean that the pilot did a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmi-ab3dG0

austinairport

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:43 am

IDK i hate that so i hope not.  banghead 
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

AzoresLover

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting TimePilot (Thread starter):
When I was a kid we regularly flew good old Swiss Air (SR126?) between Boston and Zurich. I remember back then upon landing in Boston there was almost always applause.

I flew Swissair once from ZRH-JFK on a 742, Flight #100, and the whole flight was like one big party. Everyone got to know each other, shared stories, the movie was a comedy, it was great. Upon landing at JFK, first the whole cabin broke out into applause, then someone started singing and the whole cabin joined in the singing of "God Bless America."

Even after decades of flying all over the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia, that one flight is still the best one I've ever been on.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

OHLHD

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 am

I remember as a kid that on AY flights people were clapping as well as on MA flights.  Smile

Nowadays it depends on how drunk I am Big grin ( my sister hates me for doing it)

OceansWorld

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting B777Neuss (Reply 18):
I never clap because I think it´s the job of the pilot to bring us down safely.

A few years ago, in Airways, Rick Drury, a former FX pilot published a column on that topic under the title: "Grazy Job". It was much fun to read, how people clap their hands because they barely felt the touch down, without knowing the risks the pilot had taken to make such a smooth landing, flaring for eternity before standing up on the brakes to be sure to stop the airplane before the runway's end. Another exemple he used, was the cargo plane, transporting live fish in a big tank full of water... I let you guess the end.

AzoresLover

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting OceansWorld (Reply 22):
because they barely felt the touch down, without knowing the risks the pilot had taken to make such a smooth landing, flaring for eternity before standing up on the brakes to be sure to stop the airplane before the runway's end.

Very good point. I remember reading an article in a flying magazine when I was in college about landings. It said that a very smooth landing, barely felt, etc, was very bad for the aircraft, as it put much more stress on the gear and tires. The ideal landing is where there is a "bump" as you touch down, right at the point where the "flying" ends. It's been years since I read that article, but I remember the point of the article, meaning a smooth "unfelt" touchdown is a bad thing for several reasons, since the actual touchdown should be virtually at stall speed...something like that. I'm not a pilot, but this is what I remember reading.

Basically, a "greased" landing means the pilot landed too far above stall speed, too fast of a landing.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

TimePilot
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:42 am

Really. That's pretty interesting. One would think the smoother the landing the better. Guess I should clap for more rough ones in the future Big grin

Doona

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting TimePilot (Thread starter):
Maybe the Japanese are too reserved?

Actually, when I flew from NGO to CTS in '05 on an Air Nippon A320, the back half of the plane applauded. Normally, I would frown (whatever happened to civilization?) but on the other hand that was the only "unwarranted" smattering of applause I'd heard during the 10 weeks I spent in central Japan, and quite refreshing.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

newagebird

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:21 pm

I wish pax would clap for a landing on one wheel during 40 kts of xwind, but then again everyone holds onto their seats as we bounce on one wheel and finally after a few scary moments we realise we're ok. Remember the next time you see the fwd camera showing the aircraft at a large angle to the runway centreline, brace for a one wheel landing! happened to me on an EK flight, pilot did a great job given the conditions but everyone cursed him haha

cheers newagebird

NG1Fan

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:55 pm

I was on a SU flight SVO-HKG last year. Upon approaching HKG, there was quite a brisk crosswind (it was June or July, so a bit stormy). Pilot crabbed it in and made a one-wheeled landing. Felt like the 763 was skidding sideways for what seemed an eternity. Rest assured, that was my first experience though not the last - the next two landings on SU into HKG were almost identical. Have become a nervous lander into HKG (not just on SU, but on CX also), but hey, we did not make the news and this, friends, is A Good Thing.

Did anyone clap? Can't recall - too busy wiping beads of nervous perspiration from my brow.  wideeyed 

NG1Fan