kaitak744
Topic Author

Do All Pax Really Need PTVs?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:31 pm

A purely hypothetical question here:

Lets say you have an airline which has not yet updated the majority of its fleet with PTVs (LH, DL, ect. ect. ). Instead of providing PTVs, which are heavy and expensive, the airline chooses to install USB ports (for iPod chargers) and wall socket power ports on all seats. Furthermore, the airline installs satellite wireless internet on all aircraft (lets just say for argument sake that this is possible). Would you prefer that airline?

Basically: PTVs vs. Power ports and wireless internet. (of coarse, everybody would have to bring laptops).

gunsontheroof

RE: Do All Pax Really Need PTVs?

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:35 pm

This belongs in polls/prefs, and yes, I would prefer that airline.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:38 pm

I intentionally flew LH a few times because of internet when they had it. I'd much rather have internet than a PTV. That said, I eventually decided their economy seats were so cramped and uncomfortable that it wasn't worth it anyway.

(I still flew them intentionally in business class, but there the PTV's vs. internet was not an issue.)

I don't yet trust power ports, so I always take lots of extra batteries, making them irrelevant.  biggrin  I always have a laptop with me, whether it's business or personal travel -- I think only once in the last 5 years have I flown without one.
7 hours aint long-haul

baron95

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Try eating your dinner while watching/working on your laptop, particularly in coach = no fun.

There is time for PTV with on-demand movies and there is time for internet/laptop.

I think passengers have every right to expect both and those airlines that take too long to deliver will suffer.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

MastaHanky

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:20 pm

According to a.net, there is no possible way to survive more than a one hour flight without PTV with AVOD, and airlines without them should be charged with cruel and unusual punishment.

Myself, I'd love to just have a USB port and wireless internet. I was really excited to see iPod integration rumored to be coming to PTVs, although I haven't heard a peep on it lately...

georgebush

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 4):
According to a.net, there is no possible way to survive more than a one hour flight without PTV with AVOD, and airlines without them should be charged with cruel and unusual punishment.

Lmao. You got that right!

I reckon PTV's are the way to go. There are a lot of passengers who havent flown since the 70's and they sit down and are like "oooooooh pretty...... whats this do?" It makes the flight go by so much faster, I actually rarely see many people even usuing their laptops on long-haul flights anymore...

To who ever said PTV's are heavy, how do you reckon?? Its a screen in mounted in the back of the seat, it doesnt add that much weight, especially if someone resembleing Michael Moore is on the flight hell its insignificant at that point!
Al Gore invented global warming.

jamman

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 5):
To who ever said PTV's are heavy, how do you reckon?? Its a screen in mounted in the back of the seat, it doesn't add that much weight, especially if someone resembleing Michael Moore is on the flight hell its insignificant at that point!

I think they might have been talking about all the equipment boxes that are needed to feed the video streams, their usually located under every other seat, plus all the cabling, it mounts up!

Still I love PTV but I also carry my own personal video player so I'm never too bored!
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

Bongodog1964

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:30 pm

Do we really need PTV's ? The simple answer is no, just as we don't need to take large carry on bags, don't need to check in two pieces of luggage, don't need inclusive alcohol served on board, don't need inclusive meals etc.

In the real world though, any airline trying to compete with like minded rivals, has to offer a competitive product or face a slow decline to obscurity.

LH as one example has no other long haul scheduled competition in its home market, thus they have so far got away without having them. On the other hand here in the UK BA introduced flat beds in Club, VS followed. VS introduced AVOD PTV's BA are now doing the same.

Personally I never much rated the standard PTV's, as the programming was rather limited, and the timing never seemed to fit in with meal service etc; on my 1st flight with AVOD though I spent the majority of the flight watching it, as I could use at will. Thus I would now favour airlines with it installed.

With regard to is it better to have charging points and wireless internet rather than PTV's, I'm sure that in a few years passengers in F & J classes will expect it. For economy though, will it ever be practical at existing seat pitches for the majority to have open laptops in front of them ? I think not.

TomFoolery

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm

There are those whom, for whatever reason, detest the subject of PTVs and AVOD and the like. They seem to feel that if they dont need them, then no one else should either. There are also those of us who live and let live, and go for the best price/schedule/ability to avoid LHR. Finally there are those of us who, given the option, would opt for a flight with personal video.

I would go for the video every chance I get, and avoid non PTV flights for many reasons:
-entertainment. I have the power to choose what I want to view.
-I am chained to my notebook computer day in and day out. I dont want it in my face on an intercon flight. I dont even want it in the cabin with me, much less on my tray table!
-Kids. The better the entertainment, the quieter the kids. Not the babies, but the 5 year old who is up and down, up and down, kicking the seat, fighting with his little sister, etc, etc. Generally, the kids are entertained, and the cabin is generally quieter.
-Sleep. Quieter cabin= better sleep.

The entertainment systems are usually introduced during major maintainenance events. This often involves seat repair, renovation of cabin, removal of the floor panels and stripping the cabin. Out with the old, and in with the new. some models of seat are capatable with PTVs, others are not. In cases where the seats are not, they must be completely replaced, where others can be simply modified. When the old seats are removed, they are serviced, renovated with PTVs (where possible) and they are installed into the next aircraft, and so on.
In other cases, complete new interiers are ordered, and the PTVs come with the package, already installed with the seats. Wher an airline can not commit to this, they tend not to do it at all, because it is expensive to do things half-assed (no volume purchasing in this case).

Typically, it is an all or nothing type thing. But the aircrafrt are not all changed out overnight.
Paper makes an airplane fly

ogre727

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 pm

I would chose internet over some movies I am usually not interested in watching. Although carrying my laptop just for entertainment purposes would be a pain, though.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

Burkhard

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:51 pm

PTV are just the extension of brain washing when you are at home to brain washing when you are not at home, just that you have more choices whom you allow to wash your brain at home than in an aircraft.

HPRamper

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Whatever happened to looking out the window and enjoying the scenery, or, god forbid, talking to someone else?

I've never considered using a PTV. I enjoy flying too much for that. I can understand on a long haul transoceanic flight, but I just see it as highly unnecessary for domestic trips.

747fan

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:30 am

I don't really need PTV's when I fly longhaul, but they are an added convenience for me as I enjoy watching the moving map. But that's really the only thing I use them for, as I generally prefer to sleep on long haul flights.

cofannyc

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:43 am

Need? Absolutely not.
Want? Yes.

I myself am mixed on the issue. It was nice on JetBlue with directv. It was nice on BA in March with AVOD and I found a bunch of things I wanted to watch. It was useless on BA in August with AVOD when there was literally not one thing I wanted to watch. It was useless two nights ago on AA (no AVOD) when there was nothing I wanted to watch.

AEROFAN

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:45 am

need? no!
prefer to have- definitely!

but it all depends on the length of the file. short flights. I do a book and an Ipod. On Long haul - you better have PTV or AVOD or else I'm not flying you.

ACDC8

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:43 am

I'm one of those types of people who actually enjoys flying. If an airline wants my business, all they have to do is provide me with consistent service and treat me like a person. I've used a PTV once and while it's a nice distraction for an hour or two, it surprised me how people can sit there and watch it for the whole 10 hours on a long haul.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Adam T.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:06 am

I would personally rather have a PTV than carry my laptop on the plane. I tried watching a movie on my laptop going from CLT to LAX a couple of years back and while it was alright I just found it to be a little too cramped and a hassle I prefer the PTV and the convenience it has.

Besides, I happen to be one of those people who try to choose long haul flights based on IFE (and service of course!). I guess I have just been spoiled since all of my international flights have been with PTVS.  Smile

Superfly

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 3):
Try eating your dinner while watching/working on your laptop, particularly in coach = no fun.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 15):
I've used a PTV once and while it's a nice distraction for an hour or two, it surprised me how people can sit there and watch it for the whole 10 hours on a long haul.

I was thinking the same.
I've flown 11.5 hours on United Business class 747-400 San Francisco - Tokyo several times. I pulled the PTV out from armrest once and watched it for about 20 minutes while eating dinner and then put it away.

If internet becomes more widely availible, employers will start expecting employees to do work while in transit on business flights. That would not be a good thing.  no 

On long-haul flights, I prefer free booze more than anything.   

[Edited 2007-09-19 17:00:50]
Bring back the Concorde

bok269

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Id prefer to have it of course, but it is completely unneeded. On my recent trip EWR-HNL, my only IFE was the airshow, save for about 20 minutes of the Simpsons. And my iPod.

Keep in mind if you have many pax plugging in laptops and ipods, a lot of energy does get drained. Whether that is more than the fuel required to carry IFE boxes i dont know.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

AY104

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:24 pm

Modern society has totally lost touch with reality. Most people don't know the difference between "need" and "want". The answer is no, people only think that they need PTVs. It is pure torture in the minds of some people to conceive of being on an aircraft without electornic devices. If it's that important, bring your own entertainment. Just because a PTV might be provided does not mean it will necessary be working, there is always that possibility. From a competitive standpoint, of course it is best to provide customers with all the best and most modern devices, the fact is they are simply not available 100% of the time. It is simply unspeakable that seemingly mature adults in this society expect others to be constantly providing them with entertainment, and when it is not available expect some kind of compensation. It find it astonishing that many people are incapable of entertaining themselves for the duration of a flight.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Hirnie

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:46 pm

As long as I have a good book with me I don't care about all these PTV- and entertainment toys. Perhaps airlines should have a good library onboard...(don't take the last too serious)

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Def helps pass the time.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FlyboyOz

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Hirnie (Reply 20):
Perhaps airlines should have a good library onboard.

Hahaha... Actually, most airlines have got lots of magazines for the pax to read. I don't think that airline will bring lots of books inside the aircraft cos they are too heavy. Books are heavier than PTVs. Hehe
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

OHLHD

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 pm

I do not need PTV or IFE since I enjoy flying too much. Especially on short routes IFE is waste of money and time. If it is there, yes I watch movies or play chess for some time but my eyes start to hurt most of the time starring on the monitor.  Smile

If there is no PTV I read a book or magazines.

Superfly

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting AY104 (Reply 19):
Modern society has totally lost touch with reality. Most people don't know the difference between "need" and "want". The answer is no, people only think that they need PTVs.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

It is simply unspeakable that seemingly mature adults in this society expect others to be constantly providing them with entertainment, and when it is not available expect some kind of compensation.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

It find it astonishing that many people are incapable of entertaining themselves for the duration of a flight.

Well there are public decency laws that forbid that.  Wink

Quoting Hirnie (Reply 20):
As long as I have a good book with me I don't care about all these PTV-

Good point. However, I hope you aren't one of those passengers that insist on reading on a nightflight, being the ONLY passenger with the reading light on while others want to sleep in a dark cabin.

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 18):
Keep in mind if you have many pax plugging in laptops and ipods, a lot of energy does get drained.

Again, my concern is employers expected work to be done while in flight on business trips. One thing I like about business travel is that is the only time when the boss can't contact me, expect me to do any work, have a few drinks and all on the company's nickel.  Smile
I am glad there is no Internet connection is not available in-flight.

In-flight entertainment I would like to see would be a piano player/crooner lounge. Similar to the blind singer Tom Sullivan in the movie Airport '77.  Cool
That would be a great opportunity to stretch your legs, mingle with others, flirt, etc... giving the flight more of a cruise-ship/vacation like atmosphere.

Bring back the Concorde

NG1Fan

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Need PTV? No
Want one? Yes.

I choose to fly quality airlines with PTV. Helps to pass the time. And since I don't get to the movies much these days, PTV is the only way for me to catch up on recent release feature films.

In fact, I cannot recall ever flying longhaul in the last 10 years without PTV (unless you count one LH flight FRA-LAX - my neck is still sore from straining to watch to overhead screen).

Recently I was upgraded to J-Class on CX. With their AVOD, I watched six episodes of Top Gear. Made my flight!

NG1Fan

greggarious

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 15):
I've used a PTV once and while it's a nice distraction for an hour or two, it surprised me how people can sit there and watch it for the whole 10 hours on a long haul.

Same here. Whenever I find a PTV in front of me, I turn it on as soon as I can... and leave it on the moving map. It complements the view from the window so nicely.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
On long-haul flights, I prefer free booze more than anything.   

D'accord!

ACDC8

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 22):
Hahaha... Actually, most airlines have got lots of magazines for the pax to read. I don't think that airline will bring lots of books inside the aircraft cos they are too heavy. Books are heavier than PTVs. Hehe

It's called a paperback, look into it ...  Wink Big grin
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Doona

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:56 am

According to a.net, there is no possible way to survive more than a one hour flight without PTV with AVOD

People have forgotten what to do with themselves if there isn't a TV-screen in front of them. A couple of years ago I was flying KE from ICN to FRA, with an unusually strong headwind, the flight took 12 freakin' hours, and I was fine. I had a book on ancient Greek mythology and my MP3-player. And hey, when I was younger I would just sleep, though for some reason I've lost that ability...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

FlyboyOz

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:59 am

Still...i carried 25 european inflight magazines (for my collection and we don't have them in Australia) inside my backpack. It was sooo HEAVY (about more than 10 kg) for me and SQ didn't mind about it.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

LHboyatDTW

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 pm

For me, the general rule of thumb is that if the flight is over 9-10 hours then you would need one.

For example, I may be flying NW's DTW-KIX service in about two years for studying abroad in Japan and I'm hoping and praying that NW does consider putting in some PTVs in the 744s. I'm not the person to bitch about the lack of one, but think of it. The flight is around 13-14 hours. The F/A will not stop bugging me to keep my window shade down to enjoy the scenery outside. It's a mainscreen projector so I can't expect much of a great view. Everybody will be sleeping after dinner so I imagine people will be pissed if I read a book to help pass the time with a reading light. I can only wish that I was able to sleep on a plane and while the Japanese may be very friendly and polite seatmates, I am sure they'd much rather sleep than strike up a conversation. So what else am I to do to help pass the time? I don't have an Ipod!
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

bok269

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 30):
Everybody will be sleeping after dinner so I imagine people will be pissed if I read a book to help pass the time with a reading light.

I don't think that is necesarily so. THe reading lights are usually not-invasive to other seatmates. IPod, PSP may help as far as occupying yourself.

N77014

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:13 pm

So after the indignity of strip search at the security lines, boarding areas overflowing with people, a bit of technological relief isn't so bad, especially when strapped in a chair for 6-11 hours.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

Superfly

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 30):
So what else am I to do to help pass the time? I don't have an Ipod!

Drink vodka!
Gets you drunk, tired and wont make you run to the lavatory as much as beer and wine.
Have a few drinks, put on those eye patches and try to sleep. Smile

BTW, you don't need a Ipod.
Bring a walkman or a discman.  wave 
Bring back the Concorde

Siege2L

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 am

In my experience, the must-have items for me are... 2 bloody-marys with gin and eyeshades, moisturizer for the face and hands, and then a bottle of water just before landing. When I disembark, I find a nice cup of espresso and then I am ready for my next flight!
Flying higher than over your dreams...

sw733

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 am

PTV is my choice. I like to not bring my computer on a trip unless I really, really have to. Even then, they take up room that a PTV doesnt, either on your lap or on the tray table. And god forbid the person in front of you leans back...

InbarD

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:54 am

I don't have to have one but i do indeed want one. It makes the time fly so much faster, especially when your tuned in to a good movie. Flight over 5 hours long in Economy are much less enjoyable without a PTV, still enjoy flying even without a PTV.  Smile

CaliAtenza

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:37 pm

oh i DEFINETLY NEED a PTV on long haul flights...i'd go CRAZY without one..but if there were power ports in econ i could use my laptop to watch movies without the battery dying. Even 4 hours is too much for me without PTV.

LHboyatDTW

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
Drink vodka!
Gets you drunk, tired and wont make you run to the lavatory as much as beer and wine.
Have a few drinks, put on those eye patches and try to sleep. Smile

BTW, you don't need a Ipod.
Bring a walkman or a discman.

okay I might have seemed a little dramatic on it, but all I was doing was a simple case of Devil's Advocate  Wink
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

bok269

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
Bring a walkman or a discman

Why is that any different than an iPod?  confused 

sw733

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 39):
Why is that any different than an iPod?

Because Superfly apparently lives in 1995  duck 

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am

Rather be happy with a Net connection,although PTV does help pass the time on long haul.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AirbusA6

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Hand luggage in Y fills the cabin badly enough, without everyone carrying laptops on to watch movies with!

Regarding needs and wants, Ryanair provide everything you need for a flight, but personally I would prefer more than that on a longer journey...

Sitting in a cramped seat for over 5 hours isn't my idea of fun... often you're over oceans, it's dark outside, or you're a long way from the window...yes I like to read, but bit of IFE doesn't go amiss!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 39):
Why is that any different than an iPod?

Oh yeah that too should work fine.
Bring back the Concorde