Phoenix9
Topic Author

Which Is The Worst Airline You Have Been On?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:30 pm

Hello all!
I know this topic has already been discussed several times in the past (latest i could find was 2004). It will be interesting to see how things have changed these past few years. So here is goes:

Which is the worst airline among the ones you have been on?

As for me ... the worst is ALITALIA (YYZ-DEL) : dirty planes, lazy (?) F/A (told me to get my own water from the back while she just sat there), most of the crew went into hiding after dinner service....the list can go on and on.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

TYCOON

RE: Which Is The Worst Airline You Have Been On?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Iberia or Varig (in the later days of its former life).

Lionel

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):
As for me ... the worst is ALITALIA

Alitalia was also the first that came to my mind!

AA7295

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:24 pm

I haven't really had a BAD incident whilst flying (touch wood), but in terms of service quality, I would have to say JetStar from CNS - BNE. The lady in CNS was snappy. Other than that it was fine.

Regards,
AA7295

usairways787

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:34 pm

ASA, hands down, in my expirence.

AFC_Ajax00

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:36 pm

For me, It would be a tie between Ryanair and Carnival (although it was some time ago, I remember the planes being absolutely filthy coupled with incredibly rude flight attendants).
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

anax

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm

IBERIA DEFINITELY!!!

no airline can go worst than them , even if they try!
god is a spotter!!!

skyman

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Bulgarian Air Charter is obsolutely the worst I have ever been on.

AFGMEL

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:44 pm

I've said it before and I will say it again. UA hands down - domestic and International.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

FBU 4EVER!

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm

My worst experience was an Eastern 727 in March 1976. JFK-Atlanta. Being seated between 2 humongously fat persons didn't make things better. And the sandwich was sour and absolutely disgusting. Atlanta-Melbourne on a DC-9 was a lot better.
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

dj1986

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Definitely TED. The airline has the most incompetent ground agents I have met so far.
US Airways I miss you!

sandrozrh

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Funnily enough, i'll have to say TG! Frankly i only flew them once, for that very reason, and i suppose they just had a bad day (or ttwo bad days), but my worst airline experience was indeed with them. Delayed flight, rude, seemingly tired and bored F/As, bad food, no IFE, the cabin was so cold that i got ill a day after, during my holidays which pretty much ruine dthem.

All in all, the worst flight ive ever had. This was a few years back on a 744 ZRH-BKK. Quite to my surprise, the return flight wasn't much better. Just my luck i guess.

I know one shouldn't judge an airline based on one return trip, but since the title asks for the worst airline I have been on, it is indeed TG for me.

edit: Oh that DL tristar flight from ATL to MCO back in the 90s was horrible aswell, but then again, it was a Tristar which made up for it, and other than that i only had okish and good flights with them

[Edited 2007-09-28 10:55:06]

skyyblue

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):
ALITALIA (YYZ-DEL) : dirty planes, lazy (?) F/A (told me to get my own water from the back while she just sat there), most of the crew went into hiding after dinner service....the list can go on and on.

Is this common with European carriers? My cousin just returned from Greece via Olympic and told me the flight attendants were the most rude she had ever encountered. Refusing to unlock the restroom for her during boarding ( I blamed my cousin for not going in the terminal) and also telling her "too bad" after she asked for a snack during the long haul flight (after the meal service).

In my personal opinion. The worst experience I've had as a customer was on American Airlines from New Orleans to Dallas. I had the most rude check-in agent, no eye contact whatsoever. When we boarded the MD-80 the lead flight attendant just stood at the door and looked us up and down with the ugliest look on her face. This was a very senior Dallas-based crew. They did the service as quick as possible, then sat down in first class and chit-chatted with some non-revs. No goodbye's either, just dirty looks. The flight back was the opposite and I must say I had an excellent experience on American. I think it just depends on your crew.

CaptOveur

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 pm

Northwest.. Hands down

If I am flying I am pretty hard to piss off- Northwest always finds a way.

If it isn't a cabin crew yelling on a static filled intercom for what seems like an entire flight about shit nobody cares about. It is snotty ticket agents deciding a bag is suddenly overweight (it weighed less on the return trip, than the outbound trip). My favorite is still determining I needed to check a bag that was fine on the leg before.. No, the flight wasn't even full. Lets not forget that charging for an exit row bullshit.

Also, would it be so difficult to not look pissed off?

United is a close second.

I have no idea why they even bother with a schedule for their domestic flights. Why not just say they are going to fly to all these cities on this day, but they have no idea when? That would at least be honest.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

vt977

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:07 pm

NWA

I had really bad experiences when I have flown NWA. (Unfortunately I have had to do that 6 times).
A conclusion is what you reach when you get tired of thinking.

FlyboyOz

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:15 pm

jetstar!!! Cabin crews werent friendly and refused to help me...that wasn't nice! Singapore Airlines is quite okay...but i had bad experience with one of the cabin crews...she didnt like me and rude to me! She didnt like to do her job and was so bored and sad to work on the plane. But other SQ cabin crews are far better than her!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Siege2L

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:36 pm

United Airlines a.k.a. THE MONSTERS THAT STOLE CHRISTMAS...

I was flying to NYC for Christmas nonstop LAX - JFK. I arrived on the evening of 24 Dec. and returned to Los Angeles on 26 Dec. I flew to NY with Christmas presents GALORE!!!

Can anyone guess the million-dollar answer to this question?

What happened at my designated baggage carousel???
Where do you think I packed my Christmas gifts???
Who ruined Christmas in 1994???

(hint) my baggage finally arrived by van service only hours before the flight departure to LAX.

... and people wonder why there is a need for egg-nog during Christmas. ( sigh ) But I'm not bitter  Smile
Flying higher than over your dreams...

plateman

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:46 pm

For me it was Tower Air on a package the cruiseline booked from JFK-SJU. Flight delayed 12 hours causing us to miss the cruiseship with no explanation. Lines everywhere, including outside just to get it. We called the local news stations from the terminal and one almost came.

Plane terribly unsafe feel including half the audio/lights not working/

On our way back, we agreed not to fly Tower and fought with the cruise line to re-book us. They booked us on TWA. Get to SJU on a Sunday and Tower Air has a sign "closed until Tuesday." They thankfully never re-opened.

-Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

babybus

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 pm

The worst airline I ever flew was a UK charter airline called British Island Airways based out of Gatwick.

The seats had no legroom at all, the meals were dreadful and the staff bordering on downright rude in their comments, gestures and behaviour. Very un-British indeed.

Thankfully, they went bust at the end of the 1980's I think.  Smile
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

aerorobnz

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 pm

I have a problem with Ryanair, because on a a flight STN-DUB I was delayed while FR staff paraded a suitcase that was incorrectly loaded in the hold of my flight, and was discovered to have no baggage tag - Therefore it should never have been loaded, as every checked bag for the flight must match a passenger on board, be issued an individual tag number which is matched to a corresponding X ray image as it gets scanned through to the right flight. I would no longer be working for my airline if I had instigated this parade on board, as the gate agent for the flight.

Need I remind you of the events that led to a PA 747 falling out of the sky over Lockerbie...??

I can tolerate ordinary service if I feel safe in my seat, but I didn't - The Flight attendants were incomprehensible because their accents were so bad, and their grammar so poor. I heard many other passengers talking around me about how they could never be understood in an emergency.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

mycrj17

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Siege2L (Reply 16):
United Airlines a.k.a. THE MONSTERS THAT STOLE CHRISTMAS...

Well I think US and OH did the same in 2004
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

vhqpa

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm

worst that has happened to me was on a JQ MCY-SYD sector 3 months ago I was buying refreshments for my sister, grandmother and I and my sister changed her mind so as I payed I asked the flight attendant if she had charged me for whatever sister wanted and she turned around and snapped "Be Patient It's coming". I thought it was very rude and unnecessary.

J
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

MarioSPlane

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Aerolineas Argentinas...................

B747forever

Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:53 pm

I have flown 5 carriers and the worst one if I can call it so is Malmö Aviation.

But Malmö Aviation is not so bad I like them but they are last place in my list.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Mike89406

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 8):
I've said it before and I will say it again. UA hands down - domestic and International.

I totally agree.

Quoting Dj1986 (Reply 10):
Definitely TED. The airline has the most incompetent ground agents I have met so far.

I thought they were better than UA main line at least they gave up a snack service however I only flew then once.

PacNWjet

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:42 am

It's surprising (to me) to see most posts on this thread mention well established airlines in the developed world. I have flown a little bit in the "third world," and from my own experience, as well as trip reports I have read here or heard from other people, nothing matches the sheer agony of flying an unsafe, incompetent, uncomfortable airline in some of the less economically developed parts of the world (or the former communist Eastern Bloc when it was still communist, for that matter). I realize that the thread asks a.netters to name the worst airline they have personally flown on, and for most of those individuals the worst is only as bad as "first world" airlines can offer. But if you have ever flown a rickety rust-bucket in some economically challenged region of the world, I would bet the inconvenience and crankiness of European, North American, and Australasian carriers looks like luxury in comparison.

[Edited 2007-09-28 18:02:39]

AEROFAN

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 am

AA takes the prize for me......................

HT

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:33 am

This is based on experience of 552 flights on 61 carriers sofar ...:

#1: PR back in 1995
Supposed to fly FRA-BKK at around 1700h on a ex-SQ B742.
Departed after midnight as flight inbound from CDG was delayed (again) and overbooked (backlog from previous flight cancellations).
Many pax were rebooked on DE; we ended up in PR's Business Class (had received new Boarding Passes 4 times by then).
Absolutely no information was available in the hours before.
Return flight out of BKK had a very bad rate of climb making me feel quite unsafe (something that rarely happens onboard of an aircraft), even though our fuel load was to reach AUH only.

#2: GA back in 1998
Again BKK-FRA.
Discontinued climb after T/O from BKK, circled over BKK for an hour with not a single word on PA given.
Landed in BKK again.
Aircraft went tech (is allowed to happen), but keeping pax absolutely uninformed was very bad behaviour.
(Departed again about 5 hours later)

#3: Spantax (BX by then) back in 1973:
Chicken salad with blueish-green color; family kept it away from me.
News reports about pax with Salmonella-infection later in the news, though these not necessarily had received the contamination my very flight.
Due to ATC strike in Germany we sat in the CV-880 at PMI's tarmac for many hours in baking sun until pax revolted and FA's handed out drinks.
It is only due to the fact that I was a kid by then, that this flight didn't make it into spot #1.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

AlexPorter

Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am

For me it has been Mesa, whom I've only flown as America West Express (all of this was in 4Q 2005). I had them for three flights in a row, LAS-COS-PHX-MSP on CRJs. The 1st CRJ9 was a midnight departure. Of course everyone is trying to sleep on the plane, but the flight attendant is just gonna spend the entire flight reorganizing her galley with the light on making a ruckus. That was the best of the three flights. COS-PHX was a CRJ2. Here, there was one flight attendant who had to go back and forth between the safety script and acting it out. She wasn't very literate and the safety demo took forever. Finally, PHX-MSP was a CRJ9 for god knows what reason. We taxiied through a long line at PHX, and then decided to go back to the gate for a mechanical. They tell us we're getting a new plane, despite being in PHX this took over an hour. They changed the gate on us twice, and none of the gate agents had even heard of our flight.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

TruemanQLD

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:23 am

VIRGIN BLUE! ROK-BNE, dirty plane, rude flight crew, 4 hour delay, rubish in the magazine holders, no appologies. I now even think JQ is better than DJ (no comment please)

RAFVC10

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:36 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Difficult question... and difficult answer...

Possibly, in first place Ryanair and in the second place UTair.

Ryanair because the little space between seats and the sympathy of the crew in all the flights I ever made; UTair because the old and dirty planes used to fly domestic in Russia.

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

SA7700

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:59 am

Alitalia scores first place - rude FA's is an understatement, they were very nasty. Egyptair is in a close second place with 4 out of 4 flights leaving ridiculously late. On a MS LHR-CAI sector, a lavatory overflowed, close to where I was seated at the bulkhead. Since the Egyptair incident I do my utmost best to be seated as far away from a lavatory...  yuck 

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:00 am

The worst as far as in flight service goes is Iberia - from when I first started flying them to where they are now they have sadly fallen a long way. There subsidiary Air Nostrum though is, by contrast, the best I have ever flown.

The worst for the comfort, as in seats, would be ThomsonFly - I'm only 6ft tall but I could not sit straight, my legs had to stick out each side of the seat in front on one of their 762's.

The most frightening aircraft wise would be a Syrian Arab Airlines Yak 40, which apart from the horrifically cracked windows just about fell apart when we landed, very heavily at DAM, putting me in hospital in the end - the force effectively tore my ribcage.

The most frightening route I have flown was from Zamboanga to Jolo in the Philippines, which I knew had repeated bomb threats and little security, but I flew it anyway.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

shuggie

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:44 am

So many choices!

Spantax - ancient F/A's who spoke no english despite it being a plane full of english tourists. Diabolical food. A strange drip drom the cabin ceiling that nobody could identify....

Balkan Air - Aircraft held together with sellotape! Aircraft in such poor shape that some travellers applauded the take off (the rest were too busy praying)

Ryanair - There were a lot of announcements from the F/A's but they were mostly unintelligible (including the safety announcements), ground staff were unnecassarily rude and we were delayed for no particular reason other than to p!$$ us off.

United Airlines - One, still frozen, bread roll with a bit of very anaemic ham and some crumbly white stuff which may once have been mayonaise as the only food on an 11hr flight? 1 check in agent in LAX for a B777 flight? Carpet on the walls on the aircraft (I didn't think they were building 777's in the 70's!) and do they train the cabin crew to be that rude or does it just happen over time? (apologies to any UA staff, I'm sure some of you are fantastic but on my flights LHR-LAX and LAX-LHR you weren't in evidence!)

Given that Spantax and Balkan Air are no longer with us and Rynair are very cheap I suppose that I have to go with UA.

bok269

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:24 am

I've had the privelidge of flying on Pan Am Clipper Connection from JFK-STT on a charter.

Here is the review:
http://carsurvey.org/air/review_12204.html
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

nwafflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 am

"My worst experience was an Eastern 727 in March 1976. JFK-Atlanta. Being seated between 2 humongously fat persons didn't make things better. And the sandwich was sour and absolutely disgusting. Atlanta-Melbourne on a DC-9 was a lot better."

Hey, I would love an Atlanta/Melbourne flight on a DC-9. I'd write a trip report to end all trip reports

LDIkaros

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:18 pm

AA for sure.

I flew them earlier this year SFO-DFW-EZE r/t with my partner. Or at least I was supposed to. We never made it to DFW. We got rebooked via MIA only to find out upon arrival in MIA that our MIA-EZE flight was cancelled. Fortunately, we got on an earlier flight (that had a major delay). Our bags arrived 3 days later in EZE... Our return flight EZE-DFW was also cancelled though nobody at the gate bothered to inform us. We got rebooked via MIA. The MIA-SFO flight seemed to be the longest flight ever! Just junk food offerings and 2 drink runs for a 6+ hour flight! Again, our bags arrived 2 or 3 days later.

This was my first int'l flight with AA and for sure my last one.

ajd1992

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 19):
I can tolerate ordinary service if I feel safe in my seat, but I didn't - The Flight attendants were incomprehensible because their accents were so bad, and their grammar so poor. I heard many other passengers talking around me about how they could never be understood in an emergency.

It's probably the fact they're Irish. Don't worry... many non native people can't understand them either, or at least people who have told me.

I can barely understand Irish accents, and I'm friends with an Irish girl. Crazy.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 32):
The most frightening aircraft wise would be a Syrian Arab Airlines Yak 40, which apart from the horrifically cracked windows just about fell apart when we landed, very heavily at DAM, putting me in hospital in the end - the force effectively tore my ribcage.

Ouch!! Hope you recovered.

shuggie

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 37):
It's probably the fact they're Irish. Don't worry... many non native people can't understand them either, or at least people who have told me.

In my experience of Ryanair it wasn't the irish accents that were the problem, in fact I'm not sure that any of the staff were irish, it was other accents. I am not somebody that believes that the whole world needs to speak English but I would have thought it a necessity that cabin crew could communicate effectively in the language of the majority of the passengers (whatever language that may be).

Airlineanorak

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Has to be Alliance Air without a doubt! They are a subsiduary of Indian Airlines. I flew on the oldest 737. My seat back would not stay in the upright position, the seat pocket was full of old sick which had gone mouldy and the electrics had been disconnected round the door! It was vile.

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Ouch!! Hope you recovered.

Yes thanks, after a month of having to sit around and do nothing on doctor's orders (also included banning me from flying   ) I was much better!

Dan 

[Edited 2007-09-29 16:08:22]

andaman

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 12):

Is this common with European carriers?

It seems it's more common with Southern-European airliners - it's dangerous to generalize, but you keep hearing these stories about Alitalia, Olympia, Iberia...
I think my worst experience was TAP Portugal (BRU-LIS-AMS): rude ground service at LIS, unprofessional cabin crew, dirty cabin...
An other disappointment was my very first flight on 747, BA flights LHR-SFO-LHR : old, cramped, dusty cabin.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

aerorobnz

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:53 am

t's probably the fact they're Irish. Don't worry... many non native people can't understand them either, or at least people who have told me.

I can understand most English speaking accents, including Irish - but they were all scousers ...
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

MHG

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:31 am

Worst short haul airline: Blue Express (Italy)
Worst long range airline: LTU (Germany)
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

srbmod

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:44 am

Ryan International. Back in April of 2004, I flew them from ATL to LAS. At the time, they were flying ATL-LAX/LAS/SFO for FL so they could get a jump on westward expansion. It was an A320 that seem to have only been slightly altered to FL's two cabin setup. Some of the worst seat pitch I've ever had. I literally had to climb onto the seatback in order to get out of the row. The F/As were personality plus. I mean I've seen waitresses working the overnight shift at a greasy spoon with better attitudes and personalities. These folks were by proxy, representing FL, and gave a negative impression of AirTran to folks who perhaps had never flown on any AirTran flights before this flight. It was such a bad experience that I was glad I remembered FL was running a 717 LAS-DFW-ATL, as I ended up getting onto to that flight and even sitting in the last row of a 717 was better than having to take another flight with Ryan International. Even one of the gate agents @ LAS told me that passengers had been complaining about the Ryan Int'l flights.

JRDC930

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:56 am

All U.S. legacies suck. but the one that sucks the most in my experience is AA followed very closely by US and UA. Miserable employees, evil management, poor inflight service, poor performance, inconsiderate customer service, high fares for the service they give... the list could go on forever. DL is pretty good though for a legacy.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

PlymSpotter

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 42):
I can understand most English speaking accents, including Irish - but they were all scousers ...

I've had the similar problem of Ryanair's incomprehensible cabin announcements. Usually I find they are rushed because the plane is taxing to the runway and they are waiting to complete the safety demonstration in order to take off... never once in those circumstances have I been able to hear what the crews, mainly Eastern European, were saying.

Dan Smile

fbgdavidson

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 am

US Airways...I've used the on a semi-regular basis on RJs out of RIC up and down the east coast but I took my first flight of any length (SFO-PIT) with them a few weeks back...where do I start?

-F Class check-in took feckin' ages, even though I was second in the queue. Two agents were manning the desks, one of whom did nothing for 20mins. When I got to the desk I handed my confirmation, IDs and FF cards to her and said, 'Morning, I'm on the 11.55 flight to Pittsburgh', her stern reply, 'We don't have an 11.55 to Pittsburgh.'. This is where I go into panic mode and look at my confirmation. The flight was at 11.50. What a moron. I ask her to put my wife's FF number in the booking and she taps away for ages. We're done and head through to landside.
-No lounge, then I notice that my wife's FF number isn't on the boarding pass. Gee thanks check-in woman.
-US use perhaps the most outdated concourse at SFO, sharing it with Southwest!
-Advertisements on the tray table.
-Hawking of the US credit card three times with the video advert being played on the overheard screens with audio through the PA system! Don't forget the FAs walking down the aisle badgering everyone with an application form.
-Infomercials/Paid programming played throughout the aircraft for the last thirty minutes or so of the flight.
-FAs chewing gum throughout the flight.

The only positive aspect was PIT was a quite nice airport to transfer through...compared to United, who along with AA, I usually fly within the US it felt like flying such a two-bit outfit. No wonder the ticker symbol is LCC...

One of the guys I work with travels US pretty much every week and when I saw him at work the following day I had to console him that he flew them so much. He asked what I meant and told me that was pretty routine for flights with them...

I'll still fly US on the RJs, never had any issues with them I'm guessing because they're the 'Express' airlines Chatauqua etc. but mainline was borderline miserable.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 32):

Wow...
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

InbarD

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Virgin Blue, don't like them! They don't even give you free water!

Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 45):
All U.S. legacies suck

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 45):
high fares for the service they give...

What?! Its these LOW fares that prompt the pathetic service! You get what yo pay for. There are plenty of threads on this matter on anet.

Back on topic: NW 747 DTW-AMS in 2004. Very little room in Y + uncomfortable seats, food was very poor too.