Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

N984AVIANCA
Topic Author

Airlines You Will Never Fly?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:20 am

For some reason me and my buddy end it up talking about those airlines that for what ever reason we don't plan to use any time soon...So here are my candidates...

1. United " terrible coustomer service"

2, Southwest "terrible everything"

3. El Al "can't deal with all that stress"

4. Cubana " I don't trust does Russian planes"

5 Ariana Airways " I wonder why"

well guys keep in mind this is my personal believe...and I would love to hear your opinion about this topic as well.

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:28 am

That's simple - none! Yes there are a few airlines who I try to avoid, but that's usually because of their hubs - BA and LHR being the prime example. Aside of that, I would readily fly any airline, no matter how 'unsafe' they are perceived to be. I know you only live once, but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so I really don't let it bother me.

btw - this should be in Av. Polls and Preferences

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

AirTranTUS

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting N984AVIANCA (Thread starter):
2, Southwest "terrible everything"

Based on what? You should do some research.

I never say never when it comes to airlines. A day may come when I have to go somewhere and that airline is the only one I can take. Now there are some airlines in deep Africa or Southeast Asia that should be avoided.
I love ASO!

777STL

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:52 am

Southwest - unless they full convert to assigned seating, I'm still a pretty loyal AA elite flyer though.

I'm not too anxious to fly Ryanair either.
PHX based

rongotai

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:53 am

Long ago, in my youth, I travelled on a scheduled flight where there were standing passengers, one of whom was carrying a piglet. Since then I have never, ever, said 'never' to anything in aviation - sometimes at a cost to my emotional health.

I am prepared to reveal the airline (which still exists 40 years later), and the route, but only after there has been a bit of guessing.

JetBlueAUS

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 am

Once I am out of the house - I will enjoy the freedom of never having to go through another horrible experience on Southwest Airlines ever again!  Smile
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

sandrozrh

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:02 am

Ryanair

El Al

Emirates

tsaord

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:35 am

Never say Never but right now Im not interested in trying out

United-the home town airline

Any African airline

NW, CO, Jet Blue, SAS, Mexicana
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

B747forever

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:13 am

I will never fly on any Russian carrier. Maybe Aeroflot but that is the only one.

Some south American and African carriers wouldn't I fly on too.

That is my list.
Work Hard, Fly Right

babybus

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:55 am

Any African based airline except South African Airways and Egyptair.

I dealt with a few African airlines while at LGW and I was not impressed. I think they're scary.  scared 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

TimePilot

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 am

NorthWest - waste of money
British Airways - don't ask
Any Chinese airline - sorry, too many things happening recently
Any airline in Africa or South America - the same reason

InbarD

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 am

Iran Air - I'm Israeli
Iraqi Air - Above reason
Northwest - There are better options out there
Like many other people any airliner in South America or Africa. There are many other airlines i wouldn't fly i just couldn't be bothered naming them all.

[email protected]

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):
That's simple - none!

Me too.

Quoting Babybus (Reply 9):

ET and KQ are now forerunners in African aviation.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LTU932

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting N984AVIANCA (Thread starter):
Airlines You Will Never FLY

Only one comes to mind, since the other (NM to be precise) has folded:

TA - There is no way I'll fly with TA because of how they have built a de facto monopoly with their business practices and their takeovers of GU, LR and 6Y, plus their anti-competitive behaviour towards CM when CM initially started their second daily PTY-SAL about a year ago. I'd rather fly on FR from DUB to LBC and drive the rest of the way back to HAM than even board a TA aircraft at all.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ERJ135

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 am

Having recently survived a scary TED flight I think I'm primed for any third world carrier now. Nothing in this world could possibly be worse. Actually in hindsight the flight wasn't all that bad but the state of the aircraft must have broken several safety regulations.
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting Rongotai (Reply 4):
am prepared to reveal the airline (which still exists 40 years later), and the route, but only after there has been a bit of guessing.

Alright, I'll take the first leap! Air New Zealand? Big grin
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

av8orwalk

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:00 pm

After several of my friends had their vacation to see me in Orlando ruined over Valentine's Day, I think I'll shy away from Jetblue for my Florida - New York travels. Obviously the weather wasn't their fault, but the handling of the situation still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

57AZ

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Airline I will never fly-

American Airlines-as long as they still pay Crandall's pension

Airlines I would rather not fly-

JetBlue
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

LDIkaros

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 pm

There are several airlines I will avoid at all costs, such as Indonesian LCCs (Adam Air, Lion Air, ...) and small airlines in Sub-Saharan African countries.

Of course, there are quite a few carriers I would rather not fly, at least when it comes to long haul travel where I have a choice. Among them are all US legacy carriers (in particular NW and AA) and carriers such as AR, CI, GA, etc.

Leskova

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:09 pm

Never? Too harsh... but there are some that I'll avoid if possible:

FR - the time it takes me to get to HHN is more than it takes me to arrive at my destination if I fly from FRA...
KL - after some experiences within my family with them, and with AMS in particular, I'm in no hurry to go through that ordeal
Most West African airlines - well... I guess that's somewhat obvious
RG - there are better alternatives around, where you're not surrounded by grumpy crews staffing uncomfortable planes
SQ - see Varig

The last two are based on personal experiences, the others are based on experiences of family members or very good friends.
Smile - it confuses people!

jm017

RE: Airlines You Will Never Fly?

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 am

Airlines I will never fly:

AA, because of their predatory pricing and anti-competitive business practices.

Emirates. I know they are huge, but I have heard service is slipping a notch. And God help you if you miss a connection in Dubai. I have also heard unflattering things about their cabin crew.

Ryanair. Never, never, never. The airport Ryanair uses to serve Copenhagen is actually in Sweden?
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

dc9northwest

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting Rongotai (Reply 4):
I am prepared to reveal the airline (which still exists 40 years later), and the route, but only after there has been a bit of guessing.

Piglet? Turkish or Olympic? You said it was 40 years ago, and I heard a story from my grandfather about a flight in Turkey or somewhere (don't remember exactly)... Izmir-Ankara? Recollections... Probably I am far off.

Airlines I will never fly? There will probably be quite a few of them.

Airlines I *would* never fly?
some African ones, some Indonesian ones... the usual. I'd rather fly on a 727 rather than a 733 or something, so it depends.

LTU932

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Jm017 (Reply 20):
Ryanair. Never, never, never. The airport Ryanair uses to serve Copenhagen is actually in Sweden?

Nothing new it seems. I believe FR uses BTS for their flights to Vienna. Remember that FR uses only terciary or secondary aiports for cost reasons. Hence, if you book with them a flight to Frankfurt/Main, you'll not end up in FRA, but in HHN, or if you fly with them to Vienna, you arrive at BTS and not in VIE.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

NG1Fan

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:45 am

I'd never fly:
-Most African Airlines (except maybe SAA)
-South American Airlines (except maybe LAN)
-Virgin Blue. Those idi*^s made me check my carry-on because it weighed 8.2kg. Fragile engagement gift went into a plastic bag, wet-pack into another. What was a nice, neat one-carry-on flight turned into an argument and two carry-ons.
-Ryanair. Not an issue living in Oz.
-Pakistan International Airlines (Osama Air).

Airlines I'd avoid (but would take if no other choice).
-United.
-In fact, most other US-based airlines if I could avoid it. But traveling domestic USA flights, that's difficult.

NG1Fan

TurkishWings

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 21):
Piglet? Turkish or Olympic?

I highly doubt that you would see a piglet on a TK flight  Smile I do agree however that TK was a disgrace 40 years ago.. Actually until very recently  Smile
Coffee - Tea or Me?

TYCOON

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 am

I love airlines too much to say there are airlines I would never fly. I get a thrill out of trying a new airline. The reality is however, that I give preference to airlines within my frequent flyer alliances. I also love trying out new routes I have never done before or arriving in new airports.

That being said, there are airlines that I have flown that I am not keen to fly unless I absolutely have to:
IBERIA comes to mind as does US Airways.

[email protected]

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting Jm017 (Reply 20):
Never, never, never. The airport Ryanair uses to serve Copenhagen is actually in Sweden?

It used to fly to Malmo (metro area 605,000), Sweden's third-largest city located 1 hour by bus from Copenhagen. And it didn't for a long time market it as Copenhagen.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 22):
I believe FR uses BTS for their flights to Vienna. Remember that FR uses only terciary or secondary aiports for cost reasons. Hence, if you book with them a flight to Frankfurt/Main, you'll not end up in FRA, but in HHN, or if you fly with them to Vienna, you arrive at BTS and not in VIE.

Yes, FR uses BTS as an alternative to VIE - hardly surprising when they're less than 1 hour apart - and NE and others also do exactly the same. However, BTS (metro pop 600,000) is also a primary destination in its own right.

As for HHN, it has a catchment area of 14m, so lots of people won't going to/coming from central Frankfurt. Other airlines, like W9, do exactly the same.

You're clearly informed of the airport locations when you book, so people should know exactly where they'll be arriving/departing, so there should be no issue.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sk601

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:19 pm

The following airlines will not be my first choice:

Europe:
- BD
- LH
- OA
- MP (previous bad experience)

North America:
- US
- UA
- FL

rest of the world....??? So far I only travelled in Europe and to the USA/Canada. With the exception of MP, I have never flown the airlines mentioned above, but it's just that their image doesn't appeal to me. Don't know why.
 Confused

Faustino927

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:16 pm

American Airlines. Terrible service, ugly, unkept and rude flight attendants.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

N231YE

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 pm

Only of the United States variety:

US; Too expensive, too much bad rap.
UA; Too expensive, poor customer service.

NW; Used to like them, then went downhill after Ch11 and Steenland. My last experience was awful (nothing to do with employees)...I don't think I will be flying them for awhile.

aerorobnz

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:51 am

If the airline flies where I want it to fly I will fly it. if it doesn't, I won't.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

dc9northwest

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 24):
I highly doubt that you would see a piglet on a TK flight

I'm sure I wouldn't see one now Big grin It really doesn't sound right, but that' s what I remember. I'm not foolproof, you know.  Wink

RAFVC10

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 am

Simple question and easy answer: none.

Due my passion for any commercial airplane and my job (that makes me visit many cities and countries in the world) I can not to put here that I never will fly any airline for any reason.

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

n5014k

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Airlines I will never fly:

Braniff
National
PSA
TWA
Eastern

Airlines I avoid unless I have no choice:

American - I agree with Jm017 (reply 20) on this one.

US Airways - For buying Piedmont, although I guess I should be angry at Piedmont for selling, and for dismantling the BWI and PIT hubs (sound business decisions perhaps, but I relied on them).

Northwest - Personal preference; I have encountered many snide Northwest employees over the years and enough's enough.

Delta - For discontinuing their "Flying Colonels" program. It took years of loyal patronage to reach this level and I thought of it as an honor to be one; its discontinuation was a slap in the face.

People, including me, can be fickle and hard to figure out; the airlines' marketing departments have a tough job on their hands tryng to attract customers since we make decisions based on so many variables. In the course of conducting business you are certain to make some people unhappy.

sw733

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Based on multiple past experience, I will never fly:

US Airways

Virgin Atlantic

Quoting Babybus (Reply 9):

I think you should try my lovely home airline, Air Namibia...I've heard great opinions from Westerners, and you would get to visit the best country ever  Wink

lrdc9

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:16 am

Skybus, no free soda, me no fly!
Just say NO to scabs.

OHLHD

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:51 am

There is no airline in this world I would not fly. Big grin

There are just airlines I won´t fly again.  Smile

TSS

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:34 am

I know you only live once, but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so I really don't let it bother me.

Amen, brother!  bigthumbsup 

I'm far too much of a flying novice to say there's a specific airline I wouldn't fly. Also, I've had excellent service and enjoyable flights on the airlines most hated by the majority of ANet and I've had unimpressive to downright sorry service on airlines that are the darlings of many A-Netters.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

[email protected]

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Lrdc9 (Reply 35):
Skybus, no free soda, me no fly!

So if you could get a one-way with SkyBus for $20 all-in and the cheapest option on another carrier was $200, you'd rather fly the other airline because "Skybus, no free soda, me no fly!"?

MHG

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:16 am

I´d be careful to say "never" ...

But there are certainly some airlines i would not even consider to try out if i can avoid them.

Top of my "no-go" list is: China Airlines (Taiwan)
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

USAF336TFS

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:54 pm

1. U.S. Airways - I just never had any good experience with them, especially customer service.. But I will avoid flying with them in the future

2. FinnAir - Flight crews that I encountered, and I'm sure they're not all this way, were just plain snotty. Acted as if they were doing the passengers a favor. Again, before I get flamed, I'm sure it was just an isolated incident.

On the other side of the coin, I recently flew Delta and the experience was excellent! There is a company-wide effort to improve every aspect of their operations and it shows!
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

exFATboy

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:18 pm

I'd avoid the discount airlines in Southeast Asia, at least until they're more closely regulated - too many incidents lately.

And I would refuse to fly Air Zimbabwe until the economic crisis ends - they have a good history and reputation, but under current conditions I have trouble believing they're able to maintain the planes properly.

I actually want to fly Ryanair and its US counterpart, Skybus, at least once, just to see what it's like.

And if I had the chance, I'd fly Cubana, would love to experience one of the old Soviet planes once before they're all gone.

davescj

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:42 pm

There are very few airlines I won't fly. However, I avoid (in the US):

United
American Airlines
Skybus
Northwest

Actually, the only ailrine I prefer to fly domestically anymore is Continental.

Internationally, I haven't found any carrier I'd refuse to return to. The preference ends up being airline FFP.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

SNCNtry32

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 41):
Northwest

Ahh. Everyone says they would advoid NW, but their loads are pretty decent. Hmmm...

I would have to say I would avoid:
B6 and WN.
Long Live Memphis!

FlySSC

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Airlines I will never fly :

Ryanair
EasyJet
El Al
China Airlines
Southwest
Air Tran

Airlines I alreay flew, but will never again :

Emirates
Olympic
Spanair
Egypt Air
Air Zimbabwe
Garuda

WestJetYQQ

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:33 pm

The only airlines I will really steer away from are defunct ones.  Smile
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

sw733

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 41):
And I would refuse to fly Air Zimbabwe until the economic crisis ends - they have a good history and reputation, but under current conditions I have trouble believing they're able to maintain the planes properly.

Believe it or not, Air Zimbabwe has pretty good maintenance...they even do some heavy maintenance for other, reputable airlines. They're an ok airline...nothing to write home about, but nothing too bad either.

CO7e7

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:31 am

That's simple - none! Yes there are a few airlines who I try to avoid

checkmark  Same here!

Not a big fan of LY. It's probably the only airline i wouldn't fly unless I HAD TO. I prefer CO for my EWR-TLV flights.

deltal1011man

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting N5014K (Reply 32):
Braniff
National
PSA
TWA
Eastern

grrr u beat me to it!!!!
for me NW,FL(i will one time just to fly a 717 but after that never again!!)B6 WN UA(but will try to get on a 744 but again after that never!!)
as for airlines i will fly if i cant fly my number one AA and CO
but for number one i FLY DELTA JETS!!!

surfpunk

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:32 am

About the only airline where, if I had the choice, I would not fly would be AA. On a flight from ORY to CMH back in 1990, I had a portable CD player stolen from my checked luggage (one that cost me $300 back in 1988), along with some CDs. Also, during my tenure as a grape at MSP, I always got a very holier-than-thou attitude from AA's ramp employees (whereas UA's employees invited me into their fantasy football league for several years). Ergo, no AA for me (if I have anything to say about it).