Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nyc2theworld
Topic Author

EWR-SEA On AS

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:15 am

I will be flying on AS to SEA on the 7:40AM flight for a business trip on the 21st, flying CO back on the 28th on the 8:00AM flight.

Normally I would have booked on CO for both segments but it was out of my hands. How is AS in coach? I see that its $100.00 to upgrade day of flight from coach to first for AS. How is AS coach compared to CO in coach? I looked in trip reports for EWR-SEA on AS but the last trip was a couple years ago.

Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jerseyguy

RE: EWR-SEA On AS

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:33 am

I flew AS 11 back on March 1st in First Class. I have to say that I enjoyed it, hot breakfast (I believe it was an omelette with hash browns) and a snack. Free Digiplayer, I didn't particularly like the selection of movies but I'm rather picky and I get spoiled by the Live TV on B6. Personally, I would definately pay $100 to upgrade, I don't know if short flights like SEA-SFO are worth it but I definately think on a transcon it is. Especially since it will be difficult to get a good breakfast at Terminal A as it lacks alot of choices.

rwsea

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:38 am

I think the upgrade would be worth it on a transcon. That said, I doubt there will be any availability on the day of flight. But you might get lucky.

I think that in Coach, AS is a better product than Continental. Seats are more comfortable. The only difference is that AS has moved to buy-on-board, and you have to rent the DigiPlayer if you want to watch movies. A bit of a pain, but I still prefer it to CO.

AA737-823

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:00 am

I tend to agree with the guy in reply 2.
While Continental is (by FAR) my preferred airline, their coach seats aren't particularly comfortable. Granted, I'm usually stuck in them for 7+ hours on the nonstop Anchorage-IAH 737-800 service. But still. They're... firm. Like a cardboard box... firm.

But Continental has the niceties that make my flying more enjoyable- namely, free food, and free IFE. And they just dropped the price of their headphones to $1, which makes my habit of saving them until they break even more ridiculous. AS now charges for food.

But AS has a nice leather seat.

If I were you, I'd pay to upgrade. $100 ain't much money these days anyway.

ml007

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:01 am

I say this as a dedicated AS FF who has flown SEA-EWR on both AS and CO (but never in F) - Continental's coach product is vastly superior. Meals are the norm and the in-flight entertainment is much better than Alaska's Dig-e-players (which cost $5 in Coach).

That being said, I love flying Alaska and I don't think you'll have any problems with their service - merely a lack of amenities.

EA CO AS

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting NYC2theworld (Thread starter):
I see that its $100.00 to upgrade day of flight from coach to first for AS.

The F/C product at AS has been upgraded substantially on the transcons...

KLM11

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:00 am

I've flown AS Y numerous times within the past few years and have found their product to be relatively positive in comparison to UA, DL, US, etc. I believe they use the 737 & 738's for their transcon flights, and in that case, it should be a nice flight. They will hold exit row seating and the forward few rows until check-in, so you shouldn't have a problem securing at least a descent forward aisle seat if you have yet to do so. As for in-flight service, they do not serve a complimentary meal like CO does, but their BOB options aren't too bad, and they always have fresh hot cookies and plenty of beverage services. If its only $100 to upgrade to F, it would be well worth it.

--KLM11

ANCFlyer

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting NYC2theworld (Thread starter):
I see that its $100.00 to upgrade day of flight from coach to first for AS.

DO IT!!! It's worth every dime. AS trans-cons are great.

ual757

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 am

I checked for you and there are no open seats in FC as shown and also there is no option to buy a seat in FC. So will some seats open up day of travel or what? Anyone?

nyc2theworld
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks for checking UAL. If nothing opens up 24 hours before hand, I'll have my laptop and my MP3 player and will just load up on food before I leave, though the extra leg room would have been nice. 6ft tall, while doable in coach, is not the most comfortable.  crowded