Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TYCOON
Topic Author

TAM Is Horrible!

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 am

Just a warning to fellow A Netters: TAM has no sense of customer service.
I have just found out on my own by verifying on-line flight schedules that my domestic flights between Sao Paulo and Porto Seguro and Porto Seguro and Rio have been cancelled and changed without me being informed at all!!! And what changes!!!!!!!!
I was scheduled to fly out from Congonhas to Porto Seguro at around 10h30 am on a non-stop flight, and now they have put me on a flight leaving Congonhas at 21h30 with a connection in Belo Horizonte that doesn't get me into Porto Seguro until around midnight (over 12 hours later than I had originally scheduled!!).
The return is even worse as I was scheduled to leave Porto Seguro at mid-day for Rio, now I have to leave on a flight at 4h00 am (!) connecting in Belo Horizonte (again) and arriving in Rio at 7h50 am.
TAM never took the courtesy to call and inform me of the changes or send an email (Air France always calls and others send emails to inform you of the changes).
I am flying around the very busy New Year period so all alternative flights with Gol (of which there are many and at much more human hours) are all full!!!
I will not being flying TAM in the future and will take my business to Gol! I suggest you should avoid TAM as well if you do not want your travel plans completed screwed up!

flyingbabydoc

RE: TAM Is Horrible!

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:41 am

I had a flight from POA to GRU with TAM last September; we got into the airport and we were cordially informed that the flight did not exist anymore. No communication previously, no email, no phone call, nothing!
They could place us in a flight to CGH (which would mean that we would miss the connection in GRU to MUC) or wait another day. Eventually, after a very loud discussion (my wife is Italian-Brazilian, and not very patient with this type of things) we were transferred to a GL flight that was already boarding. Needless to say, the luggage never made it to GRU.

I will be avoiding TAM as much as possible in the future. I think that a bit of customer courtesy should be included in the expansion plans of the company.

Ah, how I miss the good old RG.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

jog

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 am

When did you book your flight? Since October all airlines are forbidden to fly non-stop from CGH to any destinations that is further than 1000km away from CGH. BPS is clearly beyond this distance. That means the cancellation of your flight is due to Brazilian law and not directly TAM's fault. Thus, there won't be any non-stop GOL flight CGH-BPS either. Further on, I guess you can imagine that such a new law that effects TAM's main hub "TAMgonhas" requires a lot of further schedule changes also on sectors that do not go directly to CGH.

New year is still weeks away, so there is plenty of time for them to contact you. As this new law requires thousands of re-bookings you can imagine that it is impossible to contact all customers immediately. Did you contact TAM already directly and asked for different flight times? I would suggest that you first calm down a bit, then search for a connection that fits your needs better and afterwards contact them directly.

flyingbabydoc

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Jog (Reply 2):
Since October all airlines are forbidden to fly non-stop from CGH to any destinations that is further than 1000km away from CGH

While this may be true, and I know the whole network of the country had to be rescheduled due to the new restrictions, still I believe it is the company's duty to inform passengers of any changes. Specially when you have booked your flight one year in advance. And they should make sure that the alternatives are suitable for the passengers.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

longhaul67

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:15 am

I have bought tickets CDG-GIG with TAM next summer. Should I also be concerned about unanounced schedule changes on this route since I have about 3 hours connection time at CDG?

TYCOON
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 am

Jog,
I have already spent alot of time with TAM on the phone this morning prior to posting my email. The problem is they never inform you of changes, they didn't inform me, and when I find out independently and phoned them asking about alternatives, I am informed that these are the only flights and all the others are booked!!!!!!!
So, I know what I am talking about. I travel to and within Brazil at least once a year! I can understand the problems at Congonhas, but how do you explain them cancelling flights from GRU as well.
I have friends flying from CDG to GRU arriving in the morning on TAM and they were scheduled to fly out of GRU to BPS with TAM that morning. Now, I have just told my friends this and TAM confirmed to them after they called TAM (not the other way around as it should be) that they will not fly out of Sao Paulo until 21h30!!!! And actually fly out of CGH!!!! Will TAM foot the bill for a hotel? Of course not! No customer service!

gatibosgru

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Wow !

I Guess I've been out of Brasil for too long !

All my past experiences with JJ have been AMAZING !

I always choose to fly JJ over AA/UA/CO/DL because I've had
nothing but great service.

I haven't travelled much inside of Brasil with JJ,
Maybe that's why...

:D
@DadCelo

OHLHD

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting TYCOON (Thread starter):
Just a warning to fellow A Netters: TAM has no sense of customer service.

Thanks for this advise but I had only perfect experience with them! I flew in and out CGH,SDU, made the STM-BEL-SLZ-FOR--REC hop which was long but amazing and also GRU-GIG on a A332. Very nice and friendly crew as well as competitive fares.  Smile

andaman

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 7):

Thanks for this advise but I had only perfect experience with them! I flew in and out CGH,SDU, made the STM-BEL-SLZ-FOR--REC hop which was long but amazing and also GRU-GIG on a A332. Very nice and friendly crew as well as competitive fares.

How was the TAM ticket pricing, like comparing to the European carriers?

BTW, what has happened to your flag??
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Leskova

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 1):
No communication previously, no email, no phone call, nothing!

I've had them call me for flights that I'd only booked in the GDS, without any tickets issued, to inform me of a change in schedule of a 15 minutes later departure... I've never had any problems with them.

Then again, I purposefully don't book directly with airlines or on airline's websites, because, in those cases that I have, I've had nothing but bad experiences, and I've seen more than enough cases that would put me off of buying directly even if I didn't have the benefit of having two GDSs readily available at my desk (and two more within a short walk).

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 1):
good old RG

That is an oxymoron - RG was, at least from the very first time that I've had the dubious pleasure of dealing with them, had just about the worst customer "service" imaginable... aside from the fact that they had several employees at their office in Frankfurt over the past decade who were incapable of even reading fares and interpreting fare rules...
Smile - it confuses people!

OHLHD

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 8):
How was the TAM ticket pricing, like comparing to the European carriers?

It was not cheap but I decided ( which was very risky) to travel on staff tickets. This year I bought a GRU-GIG 2 hours before departure and paid about 50€, so it is not bad. A very good way to travel around is the Brasilian Air Pass.

Quoting Andaman (Reply 8):
BTW, what has happened to your flag??

See here:
In Memory Of Johan Being Admin.... (by JamesJimlb Oct 15 2007 in Site Related)

I know we Finns are not best friends  duck  with the Sweds but..... Big grin

andaman

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 10):

[quote=OHLHD,reply=10]
It was not cheap but I decided ( which was very risky) to travel on staff tickets. This year I bought a GRU-GIG 2 hours before departure and paid about 50€, so it is not bad. A very good way to travel around is the Brasilian Air Pass.

Brasilian Air Pass sounds interesting, on my list now...

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 10):

I know we Finns are not best friends with the Sweds but.....

I think that's more or less history nowadays... enemies in ice hockey only  Wink
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

OHLHD

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
enemies in ice hockey only

That´s what I meant or Suomi-Ruotsi ottelu  Smile

Here si some info about the airpass ( german only but you see the price at least)

http://www.tam-germany.de/TAM/bap.html

Leskova

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 12):
Here si some info about the airpass ( german only but you see the price at least)

http://www.tam-germany.de/TAM/bap.html

There's an English version also available on the internet, on TAM's Brazilian website: I had posted a link to it, but my post was deleted as a low-quality-post...  confused  ...
Smile - it confuses people!

OHLHD

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 13):

I searched for a english one but could not find one? Maybe it was deleted because it is advertising their product?? Very strange indeed.  Smile

sandrozrh

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
enemies in ice hockey only

Yeah, especially when they beat you 6-5 (i think it was?) in the last minute  duck  Big grin

andaman

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 15):

Yeah, especially when they beat you 6-5 (i think it was?) in the last minute

In Finland you will be fined if you bring this issue up in public, offically it didn't ever happen. Wild Swedish imagination only.     
...Suddenly we got really far from the topic, sorry for that..

[Edited 2007-10-22 03:10:39]

OHLHD

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 15):
Yeah, especially when they beat you 6-5 (i think it was?) in the last minute

when was that? I can´t remember nor can any other Finn! Big grin

sandrozrh

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 16):
In Finland you will be fined if you bring this issue up in public

Oh i've already had that pleasure, believe me Big grin