contrails

RE: Dumbest Things Heard From Passengers

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Initial descent to ORD, light to moderate turbulence, seatbelt sign had been on for several minutes, FA's had given the standard speech about buckling up several minutes ago. Woman holding infant in seat besides me says "I guess I should buckle my seatbelt".

Moron (for lack of better description) on NW DC-9 outbound from MEM to DCA, sitting in first row of coach, sees empty first-class seats and asks FA "Can I move up there?" (FA response: "Not unless you pay for it.") Later stuffs half-driken cold drink into seatback in front of him, making FA even more irritated.

I've probably heard a lot of dumb things, but those two come to mind right now.
Flying Colors Forever!

PGNCS

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Quoting Jamie86 (Reply 60):
Anyone else notice that most of these comments have come from America?

I see plenty of examples from outside the US.

I have flown as an international pilot for many years now, and can say that there is no shortage of passenger imbecility anywhere in the world.

terryb99

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting QF772 (Reply 31):
I overheard a some guy explain blended winglettes on a 737 to his party like this:

"Airports are getting smaller and smaller so they have to bend the wings up at the ends so they'll fit in their parks."

My Favorite, sitting in Calgary on a Westjet flight to Vancouver;

A guy speaking with his travel companion;

"Those winglets add to the range, they hold more fuel in them"!!

TupolevTu154

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 81):
Hysterical! I won't be surprised if airliners do have retractable wings someday.

A version of the 777 had folding wings to accomodate smaller gate spaces.

On a recent flight BKK-LHR, I was sat next to an elderly Australian woman. She asked many strange questions which are blindingly obvious. One that comes to mind at the moment...

Taxiing onto the runway for take-off, she asks me:

Her: "How do the pilots know where they're going?"
Me: *Staring out the window in slight disbelief* "They have a panorama of cockpit windows"
Her: "No way! They have windows to look out of? Like these ones?" *Pointing to cabin windows*
Me: "Err... No, kinda like car windows, only, bigger and stronger"
Her: "Wow... "

Tom Big grin

EWRCabincrew

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm

I get this about 4 times a year. I have to stifle a laugh every time.

Middle of the night, red-eye flight.

P (assenger) (after ringing call button and me answering it): Excuse me, I don't mean to disturb you, but there is a light that has been following us for about an hour or so. They are very close to us, don't you think?

M (e): Which light (knowing full well it is the light at then end of the wing)?

P: Yes, that light.

I do explain what it is and assure them.
You can't cure stupid

CptRegionalJet

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Well, here is my favourite:
I'm greeting the Passengers during boarding.

Me:Good morning...
Pax:Morning, eh... does your plane grow with age???
Me:  tapedshut  (just in my imagination  talktothehand  )

SAS-A321

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:31 pm

I have two from Billund Airport (EKBI) in Denmark.

The first one I heard in the old airport building. There is a panorama view of the apron and taxing for runway 09 is a Conair A300. An older lady asks her husband how the aircraft turns and quickly concludes that it uses the nose gear, but her husband tell her in a rude way that she can clearly see that it uses the rudder. The pilots were testing the rudder. Big grin

The other I heard was on a Maersk Air F50 and is actually cute. When lining up runway 09 a small child happily say in a loud voice that there was a bunny crossing the runway on the pedestrian crossing. The child acutally used pedestrian crossing about the white strips at the end of the runways that looks like a pedestrian crossing.
It's Scandinavian

ferengi80

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 pm

My girlfriend, bless her, on her first ever flight from MAN-DUB said she was feeling a little warm and asked if she could open the window to let some air in! After I picked myself up off the floor, I explained the problem with this!!!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Want to read some good stuff, read "Cabin Pressure", by two AA flight attendants about 15 years ago. I see a few on here taken from that book.  Big grin

Available at your local Public Library.  Smile

My favorite?

Pax boarding a plane from EWR to DFW.

Pax: "Ma'am, is Dallas an hour behind New York."
F/A: Sir, Dallas is light years behind New York."
Work Right, Fly Hard

mycrj17

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:55 pm

The top one that I know is when my Girlfriend was working me XJ in ATW,the PAX was flying ATW-DTW-MDW ( First of all it's only a 3 hour drive lady, and know is its going to take you 6 hours ). ..

PAX--Hello I'm flying to Chicago.

Jen--Ok, Chicago O'Hare or Chicago Midway( not looking at the ticket or res for a speedy check-in )

PAX--No I'm flying to Chicago Illinois...

Matt
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

trekster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 19):
heard this from the people behind me at MSP after clearing security:

"How the hell were we supposed to know we had to remove our shoes?"

TBH, over here in the UK, i get a different thing everytime I fly, sometimes i have to take them off, sometimes I dont. I did at LHR, but not at LGW
And when flying out of MAN the other day, one security Q did, and ours did not.

Keeping in theme, I work in a call center (Major Airline), and every now and again we get
"Hi, I need my fork lift picking up"
Were dumfounded for a second, and have to say, No lol

Our number appears to be very close to a few others which makes for some intresting conversations haha
Where does the time go???

Yflyer

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 76):
To be fair, it is a perception issue that I can relate to. On a recent trip, we did five legs on nothing smaller than an A320. On the final leg, after eight hours on a 777, the MD80 seemed tiny.

You're right, and based on other parts of this man's conversation that I overheard I would guess his home airport was AVL, so he probably wasn't used to seeing anything bigger than RJs and turboprops.

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 78):
.."And that's a Fokker 50" ( That's what I told my brother when I was 11...I was pointing at a Bae 1-11 !)

Yeah, I have to admit was guilty of a few of these before I knew as much about planes as I do now. I remember telling my sister once that a 757 was basically a streatched 737.  ashamed 

FI642

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:30 pm

A woman walked up to me at the First Class Check-in Counter:

"Have you seen my Mother?" Rather than say what I thought,
I took the high road and said "No, I'm sorry I haven't."

During a blizzard that has been raging for the last 10 hours,
a woman rolls in 20 minute prior to her flight.

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am, your flight is not operating."

Her: "What the hell do you mean, why not?"

Me: "Have you been outside in the last 6 or so hours?"

Her: "Oh, I didn't think about that."

My favorite is "Hurry up, or I won't make the flight." The other
agents, scurry off laughing..... 'cause they know I've just shifted
into reverse......

NWA published in "Passages" many years ago a full page of
one liners from pax who just didn't get it.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

foxecho

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:51 pm

a month ago I had to tell a customer

"no shirt no shoes no service"

I think I have to get out of customer service before I have a stroke........

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......

SirDeath

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm late to the party, but here goes...
In F on a CO flight salads were being served with 2 dressing options. The steward had come by previously and stated the menu choices along with the dressing options for salads. When the steward came by again to take meal choices the chap next to me was asked, "Dressing with your salad...?" and he simply responded, "Yeah, I guess so."

hrsjr

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:30 pm

While screening bags for an older lady we found a small knife in her carry-on bag. I explained to her that it couldn't go on the plane with her. She said as she pointed towards the x-ray, "That's OK! I have another one in my purse."

FlyBoy84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Some of the ONE-LINERS on here remind me of the British TV show "Are You Being Served?" Miss Slocombe in particular  razz 

tu154

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:35 pm

I was working y class on the a320 not too long ago. We were completing the beverage/bar service and was a few rows from the back of the aircraft. A lady was standing in the galley with her young son and I heard her say "i don't know, we'll ask the flight attendants." When we got into the galley she asked, and I quote,

"Excuse me, is there a bathroom onboard that is quieter than this one?" I asked if she meant the vacume flush as all lavs onboard have them.
She said no just the sound of the air!
She explained her son was developmentally challenged and can't relax in the lav because it was too loud!

I thought I had head it all!
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I have a great one.,..My partner was working the dinner cart on an AA flight JFK-SDQ. They get to the rear of the plane, and they ran out of Chicken. So his co-worker tells the man, I am so sorry sir, we only have pasta, my partner is unfolding the foil to pasta, and the passenger says, "i want chicken"...So the female FA says it again, Sir, we ran out of chicken, it seems it's popular tonight. So the passenger says again.. "I want the chicken..look it says it on my ticket"..so the FA says, sir this must be something new, so he proceeds to take out his Boarding Pass, and says...look..right here.."Checkin required". You have to put an accent on this TRUE story folks...the FA bursts out laughing, my partner had to abandon the aisle, by time was all said and done nearly everyone on the A300 was laughing. So the FA finally says, sir..that says CHECKIN REQUIRED, not CHICKEN REQUIRED.. Needless to say, he said I will have a coke and never ate the dinner....poor guy! Funny as hell though.

planespotting

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 85):
Not knowing the difference between a 737 and a 320, for instance, hardly makes someone an idiot.

You are absolutely correct there - but if someone is going to actually say "You see that airplane son, that's a DC-3 that's going to take us from Boston to Miami today," and mean it and be 100% sure of themselves that they're right...they deserve to be made fun of.

I don't go to to a garage to get my car fixed and pretend I know everything about fuel injection and carburettors...people should generally not assume they know everything about everything (and that does include us airplane geeks).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

american762

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:02 pm

A few years ago I was flying JFK-MIA-Barbados and while sitting in Kennedy, the man sees the "Luxury Liner" logo on the nose of our AA aircraft, and decides he will tell his entire family that they are on an "All First Class" aircraft with nothing but first class seats. They doubted him for a few minutes. I chuckled the whole time. It was very entertaining to watch his young son point out very loudly, "Dad, I thought this plane was all first class, these seats are small!....
Pan Am has a place of its' own. You call it the world, we call it home.

bok269

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 85):
If they're being an obnoxious dick, sure, take them apart. Not knowing the difference between a 737 and a 320, for instance, hardly makes someone an idiot.

checkmark 

Agreed. Plane identification is not something to get down someone's throat about. However, used correctly it could be a good interlude to a conversation.

But stuff like:

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 2):
"We were hit by lightning ma'am, nothing to worry about."

Walking down the jetway, I heard the first lady "I don't believe her! I tell you, the engine exploded!"

or

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 15):
Landing on runway 04 at LGA and we do a go around with less than 100 feet to touchdown. The idiots arcoss the row from us are talking aloud and say "What's with this asshole pilot? Why doesnt didn't he just land the plane."

I can't stand people saying things like this.

I think it is quite sad that people are put into an environment like an airport and simply have no clue what is going on. I've travelled with people who are 15+ (and have travelled all their lives with their family), and don't know what a boarding pass is. I'm not asking for people to know the four forces of flight, just know what's going on in whatever environment you put yourself in. How can you survive in the real world if you can't go from check-in to the gate?

A little bit of environmental observation goes a long way. Even before I was into planes, I knew what a boarding pass was simply by watching my dad manage our travel when we went on vacation. I knew what all the emergency equipment was for, how to use it, etc., by watching the safety demos and reading the information cards. If people would just take some time and start looking outside of their own bubble, we would be so much better off.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

YULWinterSkies

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting KLM772ER (Reply 57):
How stupid can people are???

Yes indeed they be stupid!
When I doubt... go running!

KPDX

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:30 pm

I only have one I can think of:

Last month, at around 9:45 PM or so, I arrived in DEN in a F9 A318 from AUS, and as we were taxing to the gate, a lady sitting in front of me, grabbed the attention of a few people in the plane, pointing at a BA 772 and in a loud tone, she said "Look it is the new Airbus Superjumbo!" (she meant A380). I said it was a Boeing 777, but she said she had seen a picture of the "Airbus Superjumbo" and that I was wrong, I just sat back and started kinda laughing....wow

KPDX  Smile

FlightShadow

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 119):
DC-3

Somber (and off-) topic, but I remember waking up to the radio on 9/11 saying that a "DC-3 jetliner" had hit the World Trade Center. Quick way to wake up a 10-year-old nerd.

[Edited 2007-10-25 13:32:44]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

Analog

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting Tu154 (Reply 117):
"Excuse me, is there a bathroom onboard that is quieter than this one?" I asked if she meant the vacume flush as all lavs onboard have them.
She said no just the sound of the air!
She explained her son was developmentally challenged and can't relax in the lav because it was too loud!

I thought I had head it all!

Is this supposed to be funny or dumb? The kid was probably autistic; autistic kids are very sensitive to sound. Asking if there was a quieter lav for the kid is not an unreasonable request.

Type-Rated

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I have a friend that I have had for about 35 years or so, she worked for North Central than NW as a PSR. Even though we kept in phone and e-mail contact for many years, we hadn't seen each other in about 10 or so. I visited her last year and I can tell you she is "peopled out". It's kind of a spaciness and glazed eye look you get from working with the general public for so many years!

I am enjoying the heck out of this thread! One of the funniest I have seen in quite some time!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

UncleBuck
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 pm

while non-reving from houston to dallas with an atc delay due to thunderstorms in dallas, we were sitting at the gate and this asshole proceeded to call one of his buddies and purposely talk loud enough for the entire flight to hear:

Asshole: I can't believe this! I used to always fly ____ and _____, then I switched to ______! I'm never flying _____ again! What do they mean we can't take off? There are _____ planes talking off left and right!

Me: Sir, they aren't all going to dallas.

I can't believe we let these people vote or have children.

FlyKev

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 am

Love this thread.
My mates sister once said something very dumb.
They were on the plane returning home from a holiday, flying home to LGW, when she turns around to the passengers behind her and asks them "We are going to Gatwick. Where are you flying to?"

Keep them coming!
Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

ReidYYZ

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:42 am

I recently flew YYZ-VRA-YYZ for a required MEL item (Manual cargo door opening) and I scored Bus. class seat 3D. The first half of the flight, two friends (each other, not mine) seated 3A&B made some very minor stink about laptop plug not being avail........some moronic comparison to another airline (If you liked them so much.............go fly them.). About half way through buddy 3B looks at me reading the paper in uniform and it goes something like this:

3B: you a technician?
3C: (not hearing his mumble) excuse me?
3B: you a technician?
3C: yes.
3B: I guess you're here to make sure we don't crash.
3C: (Glaring for a few seconds, then) i don't talk about things like that.
3B: you're not allowed to talk about it?
3C: No,........ I don't talk about things like that. (snap my paper, continue reading)

To explain, from research gathered the first half of the flight, I figured he was just ignorant. Not about aircraft specifically, just about living and how to speak to people (Read:Dickhead). I wasn't about to get into some long drawn out conversation and explanation of why I truly was there. Nor did I feel the need to discuss aviation disasters, especially if I'm at FL350 over some rhubarb patch in Iowa. Most times, if the person asking is not of the socially retarded variety, I explain that I'm just going down and back to sign some paperwork required for the airworthiness authorities.

ebs757

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:45 am

descending into ORD on an AA757 I was sitting window listening to my zune and I glance over and see a women waving her arms and pointing at me. I take my headphones off and she says something like "where gonna crash, didn't you here the announcement?!" I gave her that look like "give me a break lady" so a few minutes later I put them back in and she got the F/A who was actually my mom working F and she came over to me and said "for this womens comfort would you please take them off" I complied
Viva la Vida

fxramper

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:17 am

Why are we sitting on the tarmac?

Yeah sure

aerorobnz

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 20):
You don't realize how much it drives me out of my mind when people say stuff like that!

Not everyone loves planes as we do. It bugs me completely and utterly that people don't know - but it's my industry, and I've grown up with a love of all things to do with Airlines & aircraft types.

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 10):
But what is even more amusing is listening to gate agents BS their way around a passenger's question when you yourself know the true answer and are standing right next to them.

Very often us Gate agents are just telling the passengers to shut them up for a while. I had a recent QF 763 flight I was gate agent for, which was delayed by 9 hours before being cancelled. I felt sorry for them at first, but by the time all 210 passengers had asked me the same fucking question despite the fact I had told them over the intercom I got bored and started being creative with my answers to entertain myself as the hours went by. One passenger kept pushing me, so I told her exactly what had happened (technically speaking) and the consequences of travelling without the said part being fixed. She shut up straight away and went white. Sometimes the actual truth is too harsh for the passengers, which is mostly why we make shit up. For all but the most hardened of plane spotters & career travellers it is usually enough.

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 52):
where did this girl come from? regional airlines counter?

nah she just sounds sick of hearing passengers say the aircraft is too small to fly the route, so she is just telling pax what they invariably want to hear. You're a plane buff so you know better, but most pax know jack about planes and are reassured by such trivialities.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

TimePilot

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 19):
I heard this from the people behind me at MSP after clearing security:

"How the hell were we supposed to know we had to remove our shoes?"

I am now completely and totally convinced that there are people living in caves who have no contact with the outside world in any way, shape, or form. There is simply no other way to explain the incomprehensible stupidity of that statement.

In this world of television, internet, e-mails, cell-phones, and blackberries, it is beyond belief that six years after the shoe bomber and 9/11 there are people who have NEVER heard about increased security.

Some airports make you take your shoes off, some don't. Half the time I don't know when the hell I'm supposed to, either. And when you ask a TSA all you get is a rude response i.e. "What do you think?" It's inconsistency on the part of those wonderful TSAs, not the fault of the passengers.

ZKSUJ

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:19 pm

I've heard a few:

"Those Whisperjets (BAE 146's) fly to LAX because they have 4 engines" Note that we were in AKL, New Zealand

and this is from a trainee pilot a while back (he was well into CPL training stage). "Hey you know the Airspeed indicator, that measures speed in meters per second right?" I was absolutely gobsmacked

zrs70

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:27 pm

Sounds like the person in the OP's story may have had a medical issue. I would give the passenger the benefit of the doubt here.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

aadc10137

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Keep up all the great stories!! This thread reminds me of an old website called Airline Passengers Suck..It was shut down after 9/11, but It was great while it lasted. A whole website devoted to trashing disgrentled airline passengers!! Someone needs to bring it back  Smile
777 767 DC10 MD11 DC-9 CRJ700 727 E145 737 747 ATR72 ATR42 A319 A320

B777Neuss

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:31 pm

I have been to the "Airport Day´s" in HAM this year.
There were comments by so called aviation experts on speakers. The normal planes arrived and took off on the runway beside the exhibition site. Then a A310 Emirates Cargo arrived an the expert said:

"And here we see the second Emirates this day .... oh they use an A330 for the JFK-HAM-DXB flight. And at the terminal you can see the first A340 which is the longest plane today."

And ten minutes later as the second A345 arrived, he added nothing.  banghead 

TimePilot

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 am

I remembered a few years back when American Eagle was still using ATRs between BOS & JFK. We were in the bus heading to the plane when some idiot girl said "That's our plane? We're all gonna die."

Moron  Angry

PlymSpotter

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Well, not on a plane, but during a debate today about acceptable noise levels in libraries somebody suggested using earplugs - 'like the ones you have to use when flying in an aeroplane on holiday'

I didn't identify myself as the nerd who knew better, but quietly giggled, amused to think of this chap sitting there on his charter 757, ramming cotton wool into his ears  silly 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

vikinga346

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 am

I was checking in a pax for his LHR flight one night and he was convinced that he had flown LHR-SYD nonstop on a "737". I told him there's no airplane that runs that route commercially nonstop but he was so convinced that he told me that I was wrong and I need to "read up" on my airline intelligence. The guy was flat out rude to me so I gave him a middle seat when there were plenty of aisles and windows available  Silly
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

ualcsr

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 75):
n extreme circumstances yes, airlines' SOCs will sometimes reroute segments, add stops, etc. in OSOs, etc. But that's not what we're (or at least I'm) talking about.

We're talking about when you're sitting at the gate, hail is coming down outside, the flight cancels, and some idiot loudly says, "it's just because the flight wasn't full enough."

Yep, that's what I was talking about as well. We had one occasion when we had a mechanical on a GIG flight, leaving at 11:30-ish p.m., that wasn't too full. We routed pax through our GRU flight but some opted to stay behind. I'm sure we got the "they're doing it because the plane's not full" b.s. at least once. Some passengers decided to wait it out. The mechanical was eventually fixed a few hours later with the crew still being legal and the flight left with about 10 passengers.

AY104

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:56 am

Me (Agent) to lady: Now what type of seat would you like onboard?

Lady: I'd like a nonsmoking window on a wide outside aisle.
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

EISHN

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:42 pm

SNN-ATL.

While boarding at SNN, I was seated on the right hand side of our 764, and this one American boarded, and was heading down the left hand aisle. His Friend was already seated, and when he caught up with him, he says "Top o'da mornin' to ya!". I just cringed at hearing that. We don't say that in Ireland, despite what people may think.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Delta767300ER

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm

I was spotting with my girlfriend at MCO one time under the flightpath explaining to her wake turbulance. An American Airlines Boeing 757-200 landed and we could hear and feel the wake turbulance. I explained to her that the 757 is notorious for wake turbulance. She replied "Does Delta's 757's cause wake turbulance to?".

I called Frontier Airlines several years ago about a flight (I cant remember the route) I asked the agent what kind of plane the flight was on and she replied "Airbus 319". I asked her how big of plane it was and she replied "An Airbus 319 is a really big plane almost as big as a 747". I just laughed my ass off.

I was spotting at MCO back in 2000 at MCO with my current girlfriend at the time. She knew a lot of stuff about aviation but not as much as most of us here on this forum. A Delta 767-300ER landed and I explained to her that the 767-300ER can fly further than a standard 767. She replied, So the -ER means "Extra Range". It was funny as Hell.

I also hate when people think every plane is a 747.

-Delta767300ER

ZKSUJ

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 144):
So the -ER means "Extra Range

It's pretty close dude. For a 'lay person' anyway, good for you having GFs that spot with you.

747fan

Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 145):
For a 'lay person' anyway, good for you having GFs that spot with you.

I wish I had that luck with mine!  Angry For some reason, I'm not able to convince her to go spotting with me just once a month at SDF at about 4 AM.  Wink By the way, the reason I spot there sometimes at 4 AM is because that's the time UPS has their main departure rush, over 100 of them in about 2 hours, with all of them except for DC-8's and 757's being widebodies. At least she occasionally goes with me in the late afternoon, during UPS' secondary departure bank. But half the time she wants to leave after being there for only 30 minutes!  grumpy 

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 144):
I also hate when people think every plane is a 747.

I've heard people identify even a 757 or 737 as a "747" on quite a few occasions. It drives me crazy!  banghead 
Now its one thing when somebody calls an A340 a "747" (also has 4 engines and is a big plane), but a 737? At least I've never heard anyone refer to a CRJ as a 747 (or at least not yet), I always hear the word "puddlejumper," "small jet," or -gasp- TURBOPROP!
Here's a comment that isn't exactly dumb for an average Joe traveller, but is for us a.netters:
I was at DTW last year, and there was a DC-9 and an A319 parked next to each other, with the Airbus being in the old NW "bowling shoe" livery and the DC-9 being in the silver livery. A lady told her husband: "Oh look, we're flying on one of those brand new silver planes. I'm glad we're not on that old one over there (pointing towards the A319)." I just sorta chuckled, and actually told her the real facts about the age of the DC-9 (which happened to be one of the older -30's). I will admit, save for some exhaust stain behind the engines (due to those smoky old JT8D's), the plane looked new, definitely newer than the A319.

Delta767300ER

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:34 am

Quote:
It's pretty close dude. For a 'lay person' anyway, good for you having GFs that spot with you.

Hey dude, I give her a lot of credit for being close. We joked about it forever.

Quote:
I've heard people identify even a 757 or 737 as a "747" on quite a few occasions. It drives me crazy!
Now its one thing when somebody calls an A340 a "747" (also has 4 engines and is a big plane), but a 737? At least I've never heard anyone refer to a CRJ as a 747 (or at least not yet), I always hear the word "puddlejumper," "small jet," or -gasp- TURBOPROP!
Here's a comment that isn't exactly dumb for an average Joe traveller, but is for us a.netters:
I was at DTW last year, and there was a DC-9 and an A319 parked next to each other, with the Airbus being in the old NW "bowling shoe" livery and the DC-9 being in the silver livery. A lady told her husband: "Oh look, we're flying on one of those brand new silver planes. I'm glad we're not on that old one over there (pointing towards the A319)." I just sorta chuckled, and actually told her the real facts about the age of the DC-9 (which happened to be one of the older -30's). I will admit, save for some exhaust stain behind the engines (due to those smoky old JT8D's), the plane looked new, definitely newer than the A319.

LMAO. I love the DC-9/A319 story. How did she react when you explained to her the truth?

-Delta767300ER

2H4

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting UncleBuck (Thread starter):
Dumbest Things Heard From Passengers

"It's a good thing they closed Meigs....that was a dangerous airport."
 no 

2H4

[Edited 2007-11-04 01:40:51]
Intentionally Left Blank

747fan

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 147):
LMAO. I love the DC-9/A319 story. How did she react when you explained to her the truth?

She was like, "Really? Are you sure? Look how much newer and modern it looks!"  Yeah sure
I responded, "Its just a new paint job that the A319 will also have eventually."
She just said, "Well you seem to know your stuff. I'm sure you're right. How much older is the DC-9, is it about 5 years older?"  boggled 
"No," I told her. "Believe it or not, that DC-9 is older than you are, possibly 40 year old (it was a -30). The A319 is no more than about 6 years old, as Northwest oldest A319's were manufactured in 2000. Their oldest '9's were manufactured in 1967."
Here's the best part: "Are you serious? Why in the hell are they still flying airplanes that old? I DO NOT want to get on that old piece of junk and I'm never gonna fly Northwest again!"
So the lady pleads her case to the gate agent, who said: "We've never had one crash before, so they're perfectly safe. There's a reason we're still flying 'em."
Eventually, the lady boards the plane in front of me and said, "I still can't believe its that old, it looks even newer on the inside."  Smile
It was a rather interesting conversation, definitely gave me a good chuckle! At least she was brave enough to still fly on it after I gave her the truth!
By the way, I referred her to a.net, where she could find dozens of threads about those "brand new silver DC-9's."  Wink