LX64A332

RE: Dumbest Things Heard From Passengers

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:04 am

This is a good one.....more rude and unpolite than dumb....

I wan on a BA flight from JNB-LHR shortly after the appartheid ended in South Africa. I was sitting behind a white south african lady and a black man, and during bording, the events unfeld something like this:

White lady to FA: Exuse me, I can't sit next to this n****, he smells and is black.
FA: Well sorry ma'am, this sir doesn't smell at all.
White Lady: Whatever, he's black, and I dont want to sit next to him.
FA: I'm sorry, however the plane is absolutely full in economy.
White woman: Ok then, I want to see your supervisor.
FA gets Supervisor
Supervisor: Ok I can solve this dilemma easily, we have a couple of seats open in Club World -- ( at this point the white woman interrupts and says, thanks finally someone has some sense)
Supervisor: So now them, here you go sir (black man) heres your new bording pass, your seated on the upper deck. Have a nice flight!

This was probably a humiliating situation for the white woman, as she automatically expected to be bumped to club!

I feel that the FA's handled this situation very well, as racial slurs against anyone is unacceptable!

cheers,

LX64A332
SWISS remains Swiss. With Lufthansa. :D

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting LX64A332 (Reply 150):

I heard that one before, but I heard the version where it was the Captain that upgraded the man mid flight

vatveng

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 73):

It never ceases to amaze me that the media, which supposedly takes such pains to be meticulous and accurate when reporting on everything from politics to war to the economy (or so they say), just completely throws the whole accuracy ethic out the window when they do a story on aviation. They consider it acceptable to get dates and times wrong, incorrectly label aircraft and airports, and even change events. It's just scary sometimes.

Quoting IADCA (Reply 88):
Similarly, it's not realistic to expect them to know enough about the aviation system to realize that because a flight is blocked for 2 hours doesn't mean it actually takes two hours. They're in a rush, on a deadline, and they make mistakes. They make mistakes all the time in other stories too, but only geeks in those respective fields notice them.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 91):
At the very least, is it too much to ask for them to put up stock footage of the right airline when doing a story on said airline? I don't think I'm asking for too much complexity here.

Many times footage of a specific airline is not available (especially smaller or younger airlines not named United, Delta, or American), or the editor is given vague instructions by the producer, or the network news service fed whatever video they could find to the local stations, or about six dozen other reasons. When an anchor is reading a 15-second story about Southwest, and Delta footage pops up, it's no more the fault of the anchor than it is a flight attendant's fault that luggage was misrouted. Given how computerized newsrooms and newscast production are now, it's very easy to associate the wrong video with the wrong story, which is how you end up with car crash video when the anchor is talking about the stock market.

IADCA is exactly right, reporters, especially local reporters, don't have a whole lot of time to put together their story. It's especially true during breaking news, often the reporter and photographer show up in a live truck and have to go live within 4 minutes of showing up.

We are human. We make mistakes. Being an aviation geek as well as a TV person, I cringe every time we run footage of an MD80 during a story about the A380.

Back on topic: flying ATL-SLC on a 767, I was seated across the aisle from this guy who was obviously one of those "experts" on everything, and never missed an opportunity to show his friends and family traveling with him just how "smart" he was. Seeing a CRJ parked nearby, and only seeing the port engine, he announced to his family (and everyone else within earshot) "that's a little plane, it only needs one engine. This here's a big plane, we gotta have 2 engines!"

FlyKev

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 151):
Quoting LX64A332 (Reply 150):

I heard that one before, but I heard the version where it was the Captain that upgraded the man mid flight

And I heard a very similar one on snopes.com.... busted?

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

fllcontinental

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 am

On a B6 flight from JFK to LGB...

Man: Excuse me miss how long is this flight?

FA: Around 5 hours

Man: How the hell am I supposed to make my meeting, it starts in half an hour

Same Flight Different Passenger

Man: Excuse me miss I heard that you have satellite television on this plane

FA: As a matter of fact we do

Man: Great, what number is the playboy channel?

If only, If only

skygirl

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:05 am

well, here are my top 5 dumb questions I have heard from the passengers (for the record I am a flight attendant)

"Is the ice cold?"

"What channel is channel 9 on?"

"Do you have a microwave on board?"

"Do you have a blender on board?"

And my personal favorite - "So, what do you do for a living?" This was asked of me while I was standing in full uniform in the aft galley, preparing the carts for a second beverage service.
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

fraspotter

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Not so much dumb, but just funny to hear. My family and I were at FRA in June 2000 (I was 12 at the time) picking up a great aunt coming in from NRT on a JL 744. My father says when looking at the flight info board (for those familiar with FRA, the board that is updated by flipping tiles) that it seems that "Japan Airlines" has changed their name to "Japan Lines" judging by when it says "airline" is just has a "J" and an "L" or JL... I corrected him but he said that it was true. I said that it wasn't but he insisted that it was, and that when we get home, we'll check the internet. If I was correct, my allowance would be doubled from $5, to $10. Well, lets just say that it didn't take me NEARLY as long to save up for the next cool new video game on the Nintendo 64.  Big grin

However, God bless him, he has seen my interest in aircraft grow over the years and has tried REALLY hard to learn more about them (i.e. the different airlines, aircraft, airports, etc.). So much, that as a gift one year over spring break, we flew from FRA to LHR for 5 days to do among other things, plane spot!!! I was so happy!!! Big grin
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

UncleBuck
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm

coming from PBI the other night-

me- "Ma'am, what can I get for you?"

dumbass- "oh..uh...do you have any of that mer-LOT stuff?"

she said merlot exactly as it looks- mer-LAHT.

i was speechless.

2H4

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting UncleBuck (Reply 157):
me- "Ma'am, what can I get for you?"

dumbass- "oh..uh...do you have any of that mer-LOT stuff?"

Love her title. I'm sure she's a fan of fil-ET MIG-non as well.  Wink

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

AlexPorter

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 158):
Love her title. I'm sure she's a fan of fil-ET MIG-non as well

Reminds me of the Family Guy clip where Brian is at a nice restaurant with his ditzy girlfriend who requests (something I forgot, but French and mispronounced), and a glass of cha-BLISS to go with it.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

ReidYYZ

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 am

My wife (an F/A) had a group of 3 frat-boy aged friends in her section. After handing out the amenity kits, one of the frat boys pulled some of the items and asked my wife "What are these for?" My wife, stone faced and knowing they would appreciate it, responded with: "Are you asking me what socks are for?" The guy looked at his friends, as they were laughing hysterically, "Did she just burn me?"

ualcsr

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 66):
"Excuse me, but where is this plane coming from?!" Why do they always ask that?! What difference does it make to them?!

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark  This is so true. Needless to say, they're never expecting a passenger who's on the inbound so what difference does it make.

I told a friend of mine who's an FA at CM (but not an A.Netter) about this thread and he told me this story.

In first class, FA offers "chicken or beef".

Passenger: "No, I'll just have a club sandwich".

Keep this thread going!!! There are just so many good stories out there!!!

czbbflier

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:42 am

A bit off-topic but amusing nonetheless.
Flying out of the old Terminal 1 at YYZ (Man, was that hell) with multiple aircraft off each jetway, there was our Wardair Airbus A-310, (twin-aisle, 196 pax wide-body jet) A/C headed for LONDON, England (LGW)- 6 hours away...
and a Canadi>n Express BAe Jetstream 31 (19 pax, touch both walls at the same time- turboprop) headed for LONDON, Ontario (YXU)- 35 minutes away.

I'll give her the fact that nobody caught the fact she was on board the wrong plane but pax finally realized she was on the wrong aircraft while en-route to LGW over YUL, a full hour out of YYZ.

If I were supposed to fly 35 minutes to a second-tier airport, you'd think that stepping onto a twin-aisle widebody jet with 196 seats might set off some red flags, no?
https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0211824/M/
https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0132553/M/

747fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Here's an interesting one:
My aunt was supposed to fly from EWR to SDF back in the spring on the morning of the change to daylight savings time (it was on a Sunday morning). You can probably guess what happened: she missed her flight because she was unaware of the time change. She ended up taking the next flight of the day to SDF (she said there was only a few seats left), which arrives here in the early afternoon, so it really wasn't a big deal. But still, I find it interesting that someone missed a flight because they forgot there was a time change, although I'm sure that happens all the time, as its easy to forget.

UncleBuck
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 161):
In first class, FA offers "chicken or beef".

Passenger: "No, I'll just have a club sandwich".

haha, it never gets old

Quoting 747fan (Reply 163):

try being a crew member and missing van time cause of a time change- hah!

jamesjimlb

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting PHXmd80 (Reply 11):

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 111):

Yeah, I have to admit was guilty of a few of these before I knew as much about planes as I do now. I remember telling my sister once that a 757 was basically a streatched 737.

when i was little all i knew was america west, and delta, and boeing. thats it!!!
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

letsgetwet

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:17 pm

My brother and sister-inlaw were returning fro LAS on a CO 757. When they got home my brother was all excited and told me that the flight was "so bumpy because they blew up one of the engines and flew almost the whole way with only three engines". That was also why they were late.
When I tried to explain to him that the plane only had two engines, he said " How do you know? You didn't see what kind of plane we were on!"
When I told him that All of CO's planes have two engines he got mad and " Oh no,... I know they have 777's!"

vhqpa

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:50 am

Just going though a list of comments from the media about a recent airfare sale some of the comments are quite laughable

http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,22795783-27977,00.html

Quoting Me of Sydney:
Jetstar - Great airfares, just came back from Japan, two people return flights under $1000!! Can't complain, only advice, don't book night flights, screaming babies and no room to move in economy = horrible jetlag feeling like i've been hit by a truck when i landed. On the other side, while in Japan watched a doco on Discovery channel abt airplanes composed of composite materials, which is what all Jetstar airplanes are using... Composites - resulted in one of the worst accidents in airline history American Airlines Flight 587 Oh and why does Jetstar assume all Sydney-siders want to go to the Gold Coast... darling, not even if it was for free....

Quoting JH:
Funny how we want the political parties to act on climate change while we keep increasing our carbon footprint. More cheap flights, more fossil fuels burnt and global temperatures will increase even sooner. Remember the future is man made, decide what you want it to look like.

J
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

waleckdaddy

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:36 am

"Do we have to pull into the gate? I mean come on, we're already late."

flyboy36y

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:17 am

I was in Madrid during my college years on a study abroad. The girl next to me was looking to take a short side trip to London for the weekend. We began talking about the fun places one should visit in London, when somebody chimed in:

"Oh, check jetBlue, they often have cheap fares.."

Another time I was flying to JFK via LIM from SCL on LA. When we got to LIM, the crew announced in about a million languages that onward pax are free to leave the aircraft so long as they are back in 30 minutes and take ALL of their stuff with them. One woman runs of the plane leaving all fo her things. The look on herface was priceless as she got back to her seat and found all her things misssing. As far as I could see, the Peruvian police were not able to get her baggage back to her by the time we left.

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 166):
When they got home my brother was all excited and told me that the flight was "so bumpy because they blew up one of the engines and flew almost the whole way with only three engines". That was also why they were late.

How old is your brother mentally  biggrin 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JCKastrup

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:23 am

After a Copenhagen-LGW flight, i was walking behind an elderly couple away from our plane and overheard them talking. Apparently they were going to some island in the Caribbeans (i forgot which one).
When walking past a BAE-146 the elderly man says:

"This has to be our plane...it has four engines, which is needed to go that far"

His (apparently much smarter) wife turns to him and says in a harsh voice

"Are you stupid or something.... That plane is way too small for that trip"

Really hope they had a nice holiday together..........

Smile
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

ag92

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:55 am

I was sitting on a plane, in the last row, when one of the passengers goes upto the galley and asks if we are sitting in the new Airbus 380, 2 years ago. We were actually sitting on a Boeing 777-300, but I managed to control my laughter for the flight.

Regards
Ag92

RyanairGuru

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:59 pm

Friend used to be an FA with BD (now BA). In her BD days was asked by a (amaerican, unsurprisngly) passenger:

"Gee Ma'am, can you tell why did the Queen build Windsor Castle soooo close to Heathrow Airport?" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No further comment ...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Phoenix9

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:47 pm

I was at YYZ and one of the jacka$$ passengers asked this gate agent: "How much for a night with you?"

She just turned around and walked away. Have you ever had such insulting comments?
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

ebs757

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 am

Landing at Chicago (AAMD80) we were at that point a few feet over the runway when they usually cut the throttle and all of a sudden we did a go around and a guy behind me said "What the hell is this asshole doing?!"
Viva la Vida

bok269

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:33 am

I just got back from a JFK-SAN-JFK trip. At baggage claim at JFK, a couple of women from LAS approached my father and me. Here are some highlights from the conversation:

Woman 1: Should we take the Autobus to the city? (Referring to Autobuses, the translation of Buses, on the ground transportation sign).

Woman 2: Are they [the taxi drivers] safe? The pilot said that the plane we were on is safer than the car we were going to get into afterwards.

Woman 2: Should we tip the cab driver?

My dad: If you think he did a good job, give him a few bucks/

Woman 2: You mean we shouldn't tip 20%?

My dad: What flight number were you on?

Woman 2: I don't know, the one from Vegas.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Me: You know Sir, you have to much of luggage. You will have to pay excess baggage!

Dumb Man: Oh, really I thought.....

Me: Sir, do you want to pay or unpack some things?

Dumb Man: How much is it to Manila?

Me: Around 50 € per kg.

Dumb: Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that is a lot, how much to much?

Me: 10kg......

and her comes it:

Dumb: ohhh please my family was hit by the Tsunami in Manila please I want to take it......

Since it was the aftermath and we were senibilized I warned him if he said that again he would be offloaded instantly since Manila was not hit by the Tsunami ( in 2005). He dumbed some things and then he travelled......

What an idiot!

AFCDGPTP

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:54 am

When I was a F/A for AEROLYON former french charter carrier based in Lyon, France; a passenger asked me how he may open the window.

On an AF flight, a passenger asked me for more coffee; I pressed the call button just to remind me of the seat number; I went back to the galley to get her some coffee, when I came back to her seat, she was holding the cup she already had up to the attendant call button thinking that coffee would came from up there ! ! !

A passenger to Dakar put her baby in the overhead bin and closed it, thinking it was a cradle

Skydoll

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:40 pm

Do you have any dental floss?

Heather
www.shouldbewriting.blogspot.com

MANmatt

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:08 am

Here's a new one for you. after checking in a passenger today, I gave him his passport back with his baggage claim on it and he looked at me and told me it was disrespectful to stick them on his passport and not to do it ever again?!

Hmm  banghead   banghead 

iairallie

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Jamie86 (Reply 60):
Anyone else notice that most of these comments have come from America?

110 post US. 70 non US. Given that there are proportionally more US members of this site it is not startling that they would have more posts. The ratio seems about right to me.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ebs757

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Jamie86 (Reply 60):
Anyone else notice that most of these comments have come from America?

Does anyone else notice your ignorance?
Viva la Vida

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting AFCDGPTP (Reply 178):

Wow.
Interesting Experience.
regds
MEL

mcamargo

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 79):
Had a passenger turn to the gentleman she was flying with and said: "This is one of those planes they train the pilots on"

Similar experience, last week on an extremely bumpy CoEX ERJ flight (my bumpiest flight to date... it was amazing!)

After the turbulence calmed down, very clearly I heard a passenger in back of me tell his friend/parent/etc. "I hear they train their pilots on these smaller planes. That's why they're so bumpy."
I live for the day mainline returns to BRO...

isitsafenow

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 84):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 81):
Christmas Day, 2001, a 20-something shows up at the counter 23 minutes before his TPA flight, and misses it. I get him at the service center.

Him: "What are you going to give me."

Oh yeah, that one's right up there with "do you know who I am?"

People show up for their flight 15 minutes before departure, with bags to check, and find it simply mystifying why it is that they can't get on the flight. One time at the ticket counter, I was standing at the self-service machine getting my BP and saw a woman screaming at the ticket agent that she absolutely demanded either: a) they hold the flight for her, b) give her 2 free First Class tickets anywhere in the world, or c) get a new airplane for her. Guess what? Her flight was leaving in 10 minutes, and she and her two kids (with 2-3 bags each) had just turned up at the airport and casually strolled in expecting everything to stop for them.

You mean she's still around. I dealt with her in 1970 while working the counter for NW in CLE.
Really, things have not changed in all these years have they?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

vtdl

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:23 am

Here are a couple on the FA.

On AI flight from HKG-DEL, the FA was handling out dinner without saying a word. She didn't ask what the passengers wanted. She simply handed some people food with blue wrap and some with red wrap.

A curious Oriental man asked: "Why am I getting red one and he is getting blue?"
FA: "Those are vegetarian. You are getting chicken."

It was clear what she was stereotyping. If the passenger is Indian-looking, he gets vegetarian meal. For non-Indian-looking, non-veg. She got it all figured out. Why bothered to ask? Right?

On CA flight from SFO-PEK, the plane was delayed in SFO and temperature inside the cabin must be 110F.

PAX: "Why is the plane so hot?"
FA: "Before the plane takes off, we can't turn on the A/C. This is normal."
PAX: "I have flown on many flights before but never this hot. Are you sure you didn't turn on the heater instead?"

iairallie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Vtdl (Reply 186):
It was clear what she was stereotyping. If the passenger is Indian-looking, he gets vegetarian meal. For non-Indian-looking, non-veg. She got it all figured out. Why bothered to ask? Right?

Not as clear as you make it sound.
Not sure what their special meal proceedures are but most airlines have a list with seat numbers of people who have ordered special meals like vegetarian meals. Some distribute the special meals with the rest others hand them out first. I suspect that there was either no meal choice for passengers in that class or they were out of the second choice and the other meals you saw were special orders.

FA: "Before the plane takes off, we can't turn on the A/C. This is normal."

Yes it is normal. Simply put during engine start air is deflected to the engines so there is no a/c in the cabin during that time period. In addition in an aircraft without a functioning APU or a hooked up GPU you will not have any A/C available.

"I have flown on many flights before but never this hot. Are you sure you didn't turn on the heater instead?"

Just because one has flown a million flights even on the same aircraft type and never experienced that same issue doesn't mean the FA was lying or stupid. Oh and things warm up fast once the passengers board and the door is shut with all the body heat generated.

Why are people so quick to assume the FA's are lying or stupid? It drives me nuts there is no secret Flight Attendant conspiracy to make you miserable. We tell the truth as we know it. Sometimes the abrievated truth due to time constraints. There simply isn't time to give an indepth technical explanation of everything to every passenger individually.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:18 pm

The Pax meal preference is most times Indicated at the Time of Booking/Checkin depending on the Airline.The FAs have a list of all the Pax when they serve the meal trays.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 187):
Yes it is normal. Simply put during engine start air is deflected to the engines so there is no a/c in the cabin during that time period. In addition in an aircraft without a functioning APU or a hooked up GPU you will not have any A/C available.

Engine start is momentary & will not cause Temp to rise as much,It could be a U/S APU causing the heat build up.Engine bleed will solve it.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 187):
Why are people so quick to assume the FA's are lying or stupid

I think FAs like other dept have Different types,The bottom line is to try to relax the pax in case of an abnormality.Some do it well others don't.

regds
MEL

Maverick623

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:08 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 188):
Engine bleed will solve it.

Unless there's only one good pack. Freakin nightmare that flight was.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

KPWM

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 am

I was sitting next to an older couple at BWI last week. We had a clear view of a FL B737-700 at the gate. The blades of one of the engines was still slowly spinning. The man asked to his wife, "do you think that engine spins while the plane is up in the air."
I thought that was pretty sad.

sfoqqaa

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:03 am

True story. Was walking past the Continental President's Club at Houston Bush Airport when an elderly woman turns to her husband and says, "What's that?" The husband in a loud voice proclaims, "That's the room where George Bush goes when he travels commercial." I guess a President's Club at George Bush Airport makes sense.  Big grin

I also overheard this conversation while waiting in line at a gate in IAH. Child turns to father and asks, "How do you get to sit in the exit row?" The father says, "you have to want to be the first one off the plane!" Ummm, OK.