copter808

RE: Dumbest Things Heard From Passengers

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 19):
"How the hell were we supposed to know we had to remove our shoes?"

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 19):
In this world of television, internet, e-mails, cell-phones, and blackberries, it is beyond belief that six years after the shoe bomber and 9/11 there are people who have NEVER heard about increased security.

Not really so stupid at all. I've nearly completed a trip(s) totaling nearly 77,000 miles in the last month and only had to remove my shoes a couple of times, usually in the US. Had to remove the 2" wire ties (use them to secure the zippers) and all the batteries from my camera bag at one airport. The batteries INside the camera and the one in the computer--and two spares--were OK though.

Klima

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:57 am

When my brother was home on leave once I asked him what kind of plane he flew into Cleveland on. He replied, "an Airbubble."

trinxat

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:12 am

I watched this in a catalan TV show where a rookie check-in agent was being trained at BCN:

(experienced check-in agent): ask that pregnant woman over there how many months is she in...

(rookie): Why?

(exp CI agent): because she is not advised to fly on the last weeks of her pregnancy and she must have a medical permit

(rookie): OK (...) ehmmm excuse me sir could you tell me how many weeks left does she have?

(passenger): Huh???

(rookie): Your wife....

(passenger): Yes, my wife

(rookie): Are you OK about her flying while she is pregnant?

(passenger): (in astonishment) She is not pregnant

(rookie): ahh  ouch 

(passenger's wife from the back): I am just fat if that is what you mean

(rookie): (turning at the experienced CI agent who has dissappeared from his side): ehmmmm, Clara??
 rotfl 
LOL this was aired to everyone in prime time (this guy must be pretty famous now, but probably loading baggage)

...and this one happened to me, while checking in for a charter BCN-Natal flight that I suspected would be a sardine can run:

(me): Madam could you tell me what aircraft are we flying or what is the seat arrangement? (I had no clue and I wanted to secure good seats)

(check-in girl): Ahh don't worry because you are flying a huuuuuuge aircraft..... it's a 767  wideeyed 

(I was tempted to say: ahh OK in that case I don't even need a seat, I can stretch in the terrace sunbeds)
where did this girl come from? regional airlines counter?

caspritz78

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 41):
She said, "OK, but why aren't we moving?"

I said, "I'm not sure what you mean."

She clarified, "The plane has stopped moving, and we want to know whats going on."

That's the best!  rotfl 

You should ave answered that a bird crossed the flightpath and the pilot didn't want to hit it.

Experimental

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:17 am

I was behind a man who was refusing to board a "Star Alliance" painted Thai 747-400. He claimed he had paid extra to fly on Thai and he didn't want to fly on some third world airline that he had never heard of. Also according to him they "can't even paint a plane properly"

I'm not sure if he made it on...

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:19 am

Great thread guys, keep it coming!

Quoting VIflyer (Reply 16):
Pax: "Well I'm a school teacher and I'm sure that their is no lake that big in the US."

It's like Mike TV's mother in teh original Charlie and the Chololate factory "Mr Wonka, I am a teacher of GEOGRAPHY"

Quoting Commavia (Reply 28):
she just got on the loudspeaker and announced to the gate area full of annoyed passengers: "Excuse, ladies and gentleman, does anybody know who this man is? He doesn't seem to know who he is? Can anybody help us?" Needless to say, that usually shut them up.

This is brilliant......Big Gold Star!

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 38):
Ive seen people not even glance at the 747 150 feet above their heads, I dunno how people can ignore that.

I swear, I really do wonder about people. Last summer I worked in the public service, on a public counter. There was a big sign above my head "Housing Maintenance - South Area Ofiice Green Ticket" I lost count of how many people came with the wrong slip/wrong desk just pliainly in the wrong place,more than once, it was unbelieveable.

Quoting Bramble (Reply 48):
'Pax check in their common sense with their bags so expect irrational behaviour from ppl who should know better'

To be honest, I think people just live in a little bubble, a kind of functional autism. In places they dont go everyday they are completely incapable of anything!

Brian.

PiedmontINT

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Mycrj17 (Reply 47):
I just love the look for the PAX when find out they are going home on a CRJ. They are like " That's the plane that taking us there ? Its so small. " I payed how much money to fly on that..I need to see your Supervisor...

Sigh, if only thats how fare pricing really worked, the price you pay is determined by the size of plane you ride on... Give me a B1900 any day!

Also, to keep in the spirit of the thread, my favorite dumb pax moment which happens all the time in MHK is when someone checks in for another airline, say Northwest for example (we are US ex). After I get the pax all of their boarding pass I will say something to the tune of "Remember when you get to MCI Northwest is over in Terminal C." Sure enough, said pax will wander around our tiny one gate terminal for about 30 seconds and will come back and ask where Terminal C is.. (smacks head)

Also for a runner-up is when they ask what restaurant choices we have... (smacks head again). I tell them about our fine vending machine selection of not only skittles but also m&m's!!!

KLM772ER

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 am

Hello,

I was on a SAA flight from CPT->FRA this spring, and had a pax sitting behind me, asking the stewardess roughly short before take off, if it would be possible to heat the plane a bit because he was freezing... (It was while she was getting her seat for take off..) she said that she would tell the Captain as soon as possible after take off.

about a minute or two after take off he was being grumpy to his wife that it is still not warmer and he will never fly with SAA again... I don't know what he thinks the pilots have to do during take off, but I am happy that they are not worrying about the cabin heat in that phase of flight  Wink

As soon as service started he complained again, and for a short time I was thinking of saying something but decided it is not worth it.... Even if done directly it needs some time to get warmer....

How stupid can people are???  banghead 

BTW It was one of the best and funniest long haul flights I had so far.. Never had such an amusing Cabin crew!!!

Cheers
Björn

wn676

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 am

After landing in PHX, our flight had to hold for a gate to open up. While we were sitting out there a YV CR2 taxied by and this guy sitting next to me said to his friends, "I wish this airline would buy more of those. It's like having your own private jet, they have big leather seats and better food."

Waiting for a WN flight, again at Sky Harbor, Arizona One (with the gigantic SOUTHWEST painted on the tail) pulls in to the gate, and these two old ladies sitting next to me say, "Oh, look! That's the governor's plane, she must be flying in." And, looking towards the gate, "They don't have much security set up though."
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

TruemanQLD

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:46 am

I love the good old silly teenage girl one: (BNE-NRT just after takeoff) Will this take long I have to meet my mother in Tokyo in 2 hours!
Also whenyou take off and the pilot speaks over the magaphone: Wheres that sound coming from? He should be concentrating on his flying, I better go help him...

jamie86

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 am

Anyone else notice that most of these comments have come from America?
JAMIE

N14AZ

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:12 am

Well, here is one from Europe, It was in the eighties when AUA flew to FRA from VIE with a Fokker F50. A grandmother and her grandchild were watching the AUA F50.

Boy: "Grandma? Where does this plane fly to?"
Grandma after reading the titles: "To Australia!"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner - WorldAirImages

CXfirst

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:19 am

Was flying SIN-LHR. 5-6 hours into flight, as we were flying over India or just past India, I hear a man wake up his sleeping family and he said "wake up, were almost there, see, there's Paris," (actually it was just a couple of lights of a small city [if you can even call it a city]) not only that, the whole family got up got their bags out, and got everything ready (including, putting shoes on and putting the back up). About 1 and a half hours later, the son asked "are you sure?"

I could bearly hold my laughter.

-CXfirst

FBU 4EVER!

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 am

In the 70's, I boarded an SAS DC-9 with the original paint scheme with a black painted radar nose cone. A boy in front of me asked his dad why the plane had a black nose. "It's rubber in case the plane bumps into a mountain during flight".

This was an election year, and judging from the ignorant politicians we got, this dad might very likely have excercised his right to vote!
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

latintraveller

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:46 am

Have you ever guys gotten the :

*at the gate*

A: What type of aircraft are we flying on today?
B: 757
A: How many rows does the plane have?
B: 57

what the hell?

I actually had a UA gate agent tell me this when while I was waiting at DEN for my flight to CID. Couple of years back. I was a kid. I asked what type of aircraft was flying the route (UA1622 i think? ) He replied" 727". When I asked how many rows it had, he looked at me in one of those you-ask-too-many-questions-kid and said "27"

vivekman2006

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:51 am

Well, after seeing all these dumb things heard from passengers, here is one dumb check-in agent incident that happened with a fellow Anetter friend here in BOM.

My friend was flying from BOM to AMD Business Class on Air India. This particular flight was to be operated by a 747-400.

At the check-in counter, my friend shows his ticket to the agent. This is what happens next:

Friend: I would prefer a seat on the Upper Deck please.

AI agent: Sir, cant do that.

Friend: Why?

AI agent: Sir, its a normal 747 without the Upper Deck!!!

Friend: Speechless......

It turns out that there was an equipment change and the aircraft scheduled to fly that day was an A-310!!!

Here is a link to that pretty interesting trip report:
Jet Airways 343/AI 310 Buss Class, Security? [48 Pics] (by Karan69 Aug 1 2005 in Trip Reports)

Silver1SWA

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 32):
Same thing, but then they'd ask me, this is Southwest Airlines right?
Me *looks at the sign SOUTHWEST AIRLINES behind me* "yes ma'am it is!"

Ah yes, this sounds familiar. I was hanging out with an Ops agent during one of my breaks. Pax comes up and asks, "excuse me, is this gate 6? Where is gate 6?!" The Ops agent doesn't say a word and points to the giant sign with a large 6 above our heads.   

Another time, I was hanging out in the terminal talking to a CSA for a few minutes. She made an announcement to the pax in the gate 10 area explaining what flight was next out of the gate. One flight was delayed so the area was packed full of pax waiting for different flights. She made a couple announcements that gave very clear instructions on which flight was getting ready to board. She repeated it multiple times. As soon as she puts down the microphone, a passenger that was standing in front of us the entire time waiting for her to finish the announcement so they can be helped walks up and asks "so...what flight is getting ready to board at gate 10?" WTF?!?!?!   

A few more that drive us crazy are:

"Excuse me, do you work here?!" No, I just wear this uniform for kicks!

"Excuse me, but where is this plane coming from?!" Why do they always ask that?! What difference does it make to them?!

"You made me miss my flight!!" Oh? I did??

"You lost my bag!" Oh? I did??

"Have you started boarding yet?" The plane isn't even here yet!

And finally, this last one isn't something pax say, but something they always do. It is my biggest pet peeve...absolutely drives me crazy! I can't stand it when a passenger walks up to the Ops agent when it is their turn to board and they stop, put their carry-on down and dig through their pocket or purse in search for their boarding pass. COME ON!!! You have been standing there in line for the cattle call for the past 20 minutes!!!! Now you decide to dig for that boarding pass?!?!?! And the dumbest part about it is, when they walk up and the agent holds their hand out for the boarding pass, there is this blank look on their face before they go "oh! yeah..." and then dig for the pass...  banghead 

[Edited 2007-10-25 04:02:41]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dubliftment

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 18):
"right now we're taxiing on the APU, and theyll start the engines on the runway".

Sometimes there's just some things better left uncorrected.

Quoting 747fan (Reply 20):
I never even answered his question, I just bursted out laughing.

Quoting KLM772ER (Reply 57):
As soon as service started he complained again, and for a short time I was thinking of saying something but decided it is not worth it.

I don't see the point in not responding to such (admittedly strange) questions/ remarks. But how should they know? People might just as well think, aviation enthusiasts want to live in their own world. I wouldn't like if a philosopher just laughed when I ask a question like "Was Aristotele the teacher of Plato or was it the other way round?"

PiedmontINT

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Dubliftment (Reply 67):
"Was Aristotele the teacher of Plato or was it the other way round?"

Plato was Aristotle's teacher 

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 66):
"Excuse me, do you work here?!" No, I just wear this uniform for kicks!

Another fun answer to pull on them is to say, "Nah, I just want to try to sneak on the plane. Dont tell anyone!"

[Edited 2007-10-25 04:22:29]

KLM772ER

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting Dubliftment (Reply 67):
I don't see the point in not responding to such (admittedly strange) questions/ remarks. But how should they know? People might just as well think, aviation enthusiasts want to live in their own world.

Well I didn't answer because I didn't want to argue with him because of that. He was so angry and I simply wanted to have a peaceful flight and no stress right at the beginning...
There are some people you simply can't tell they are wrong, they just don't believe it tho you can prove it.. So arguing with them isn´t worth it!

Cheers
Björn

COEI2007

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Do you have any diet water?

and

Can I get some fries with that?

and

Why do the engines have to make noise?

and

Why is there nowhere where I can lie down and take a nap?

crj200faguy

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:49 pm

My favorite is when people come up to the gate and ask if the paper with the words "Boarding Pass" is their boarding pass.

I had a lady angrily ask me one day, " Are we only going to Kennedy?"

Me- "Did you want to go somewhere else?"

Pax- "No, I just wanted to make sure we weren't stopping somewhere else. Are these little planes safe?"

Me- Completely annoyed with her from a few other issues said, "we'll maam, I haven't crashed yet today."

She didn't say another word the rest of the flight, but looked pretty scared when we got some wake turbulence from a 747 coming into JFK.

I also love when people are going to miss their connections and want to know the next flight to their destination. Yes, I am a walking time table and know when the next flight is to some crappy little town with a population of 40,000.

The fact people can't comprehend the time change concept is funny too.

The best story was when I had an overnight in LSE. Some guy from the flight shared a cab with us to the hotel. He was trying to chatup our female FO. He told her how he was in his senior year at Purdue studying aerospace engineering. He asked her if she flew the DC-10. The captain and I almost pissed ourselves laughing at him. She tried to be nice and told him that she flew the plane in that he rode on. He again asked if it was a DC-10. She said, umm no it's a CRJ. He looked really embarrassed as the Captain and I continued to laugh. MSP-LSE DC-10s would have been a huge success I'm sure. It wouldn't have been so funny if he hadn't tried to talk up how he was such a big aviation fan.

blamemx

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 38):
Its hard for me to understand, how people cannot appreciate aviation one bit, Ive seen people not even glance at the 747 150 feet above their heads, I dunno how people can ignore that.

That's always boggled me. Mindless cattle maybe? No wait, cows would look.

commavia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 pm

It hasn't been mentioned here yet - at least I don't think so - but while we're on the subject of stupidity relating to aviation and the airline industry, can we talk about the media? They're among the worst offenders out there, just horrible!

Living in one of the most aviation industry-centric metro areas in the world (Dallas/Fort Worth), I've seen my fair share of journalistic reportage - both in print and on television - about the airline industry. And it is just sad. And, because DFW is such an aviation-focused area, it's better than most.

I remember once up in New York, they were doing a story on a runway incursion between a United 767 and a Delta 757. What airplane did they show? An AA Airbus.

It never ceases to amaze me that the media, which supposedly takes such pains to be meticulous and accurate when reporting on everything from politics to war to the economy (or so they say), just completely throws the whole accuracy ethic out the window when they do a story on aviation. They consider it acceptable to get dates and times wrong, incorrectly label aircraft and airports, and even change events. It's just scary sometimes.

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 23):
How about ....."They're canceling the flight because they don't have enough passengers."

Quoting Commavia (Reply 25):
That's so true - I've heard people say that so many times!

Airlines do do that you know, just not on day of departure normally. Day BEFORE departure, absolutely - merge 2 flights together, whatever - they do do that.

Quoting RickYHM (Reply 35):
hey are flying ?Tango

Tango used to be a seperate subsidiary of Air Canada, with its own aircraft, before AC brought it back in house and just used the name for their cheapie fares.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

commavia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 74):
Airlines do do that you know, just not on day of departure normally. Day BEFORE departure, absolutely - merge 2 flights together, whatever - they do do that.

In extreme circumstances yes, airlines' SOCs will sometimes reroute segments, add stops, etc. in OSOs, etc. But that's not what we're (or at least I'm) talking about.

We're talking about when you're sitting at the gate, hail is coming down outside, the flight cancels, and some idiot loudly says, "it's just because the flight wasn't full enough."

hangarrat

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 36):
RJs have become way too common when you overhear a fellow passenger on a 737-300 remark "Wow, this is a really big plane!"

To be fair, it is a perception issue that I can relate to. On a recent trip, we did five legs on nothing smaller than an A320. On the final leg, after eight hours on a 777, the MD80 seemed tiny.

Quoting Ogre727 (Reply 49):
It is hard for me too to understand that many people do not appreciate aviation one bit, but it's just life.

It's also hard for me to laugh at people who rarely fly being confused about air travel. I'm not an infrequent flyer, but going through an unfamiliar airport in an unfamiliar country can be a bewildering experience.

And the security situation is enough to make anyone insane. I knew the whole thing was just too confusing when I was going through security at a govenment building in Pennsylvania, and an Amish family all stopped to dutifully put their shoes on the x-ray machine belt.
Spell check is a false dog

Burkhard

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Passenger (first flight ) after landing:

What astonished me most: above the clouds the sun was shining!

USADreamliner

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 pm

.."And that's a Fokker 50" ( That's what I told my brother when I was 11...I was pointing at a Bae 1-11 !)

..."It may cost $20,000" ( my "smart" uncle, talking about the price of a 727-200 in 1988).

and many times: "That's a DC-10 ( pointing at a 727 or any tri jet).

ThePinnacleKid

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:56 pm

(All on the ERJ-145)

Had a passenger turn to the gentleman she was flying with and said: "This is one of those planes they train the pilots on"
- the captain and I just stared at each other wondering if we had really just heard that...

Overheard another passenger ask: "Is this a real plane?"
- ummmm... no... it isn't... that's why I'm really a bus driver and not a pilot... oh well

I had just finished the walk-around and was back in the jetbridge about to get back on when a passenger stopped me and asked: "Do we have the fuel to make it to (destination)?"
- I wish I could have just said... No, as a matter of fact we don't... and just walked back on board... but I didn't... had to be the good spokesman and just answer the idiotic question....

Another time... overheard passenger talking to another pax during boarding: "I hate these little jets... they're so much slower and they fly lower where it's bumpy"
- never realized 37,000' and M0.80 was low and slow....
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

ogre727

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Actually I remembered one:

My brother telling me which plane he had travelled on "It was an American Airlines jet in a Pan Am costume". To him, all 727s were "American Airlines Jets".

And another one:

Lady to her friend: "That cannot be a 757, they assign the name of the planes based on size, and I know the 747 is the largest plane there" Tihs obviously was back in the 80s.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting LV (Reply 13):
While landing at DEN, from the row in front of me....

Lady 1: "Look, that plane says Ted on it, Ted Turner must of started his own airline"
Lady 2: "He does own a lot of land in this part of the country, must go up to Montana for him."

That's just hysterical!

Pax: "Well I'm a school teacher and I'm sure that their is no lake that big in the US."

Someone wanna go over to Non-Av and start another thread on education in the U.S? Big grin

Quoting Commavia (Reply 21):
A very good family friend, who was an AA gate agent at DFW for 30 years, always says: for some reason he still doesn't understand, "flying brings out the absolute stupidity in people - a person who might be totally rational, reasonable or normal under other circumstances just becomes a totally idiot when they set foot inside the terminal."

It's so true.

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that a study was done that concluded that airline passengers lose 30% of their cognative abilities when entering the airport-due to stress, and not being "in control". That's why at the entrance to the terminal, we always say those aren't lights above, they're brain-suckers.  rotfl 

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 23):
How about ....."They're canceling the flight because they don't have enough passengers."

I always enjoy that one. If I have a customer that's willing to listen, I'll tell them that's not true. I feel part of my job is to educate a customer, not just bullshit them. I explained to a woman once on a cancelled flight why this is a fallacy, and when I was done, she said what I told her made a lot of sense. And she thanked me for explaining it to her.

Quoting Ualcsr (Reply 26):
First it was the "I can't believe you didn't hold the plane" (for four hours???) and after they got through that one, from the ridiculous to the sublime...."Well, we need an airplane right now to take us to Santiago".

When I used to work up in Ops, being the Connect Planning who held flights, I could just hear the customers saying that to the agents.  Big grin Of course, I heard about it from the agent later.  Sad

As for the second part, that always cracks me up. I have a different take on that one later.

Quoting QF772 (Reply 31):
I overheard a some guy explain blended winglettes on a 737 to his party like this:

"Airports are getting smaller and smaller so they have to bend the wings up at the ends so they'll fit in their parks."

Hysterical! I won't be surprised if airliners do have retractable wings someday.

Quoting Floorrunner (Reply 44):
I remember working reservations and information back in the PeopleExpress days, and a woman calls in and says, "My flight leaves in 15 minutes but I have a 2 hour drive to the airport. Can you run outside and tell the pilot to wait for me?"

Had a guy call a friend of mine behind the ticket counter once and said "I'm stuck on 480, tell them to hold the plane!" "click!".

He got into the airport, and was mad as hell. He asked my friend why the flight wasn't held.

1. He gave her no name.
2. He gave her no destination.
3. Didn't give her time to tell him that even if he had done that, the plane was going without him.  Big grin

A few I like:

"Is there a difference between D-2 and D-02?"
Uh, yeah, D-02 is down in baggage claim......

A CLE-SEA-ANC flight years ago.
"Do we stop in Anchorage first?"
Sure, we fly right the hell by Seattle for 2 hours, then come back later...

Christmas Day, 2001, a 20-something shows up at the counter 23 minutes before his TPA flight, and misses it. I get him at the service center.

Him: "What are you going to give me."
Me: "I don't understand, what do you mean what am I going to give you?"
Him: "Well, I missed my flight. Don't I give compensation?"
I asked him if he had heard about check-in requirments since 9/11, and he said yes. Than I ask "why, then, did you show up at the counter 25 minutes to departure?" Silence. I told him that if anyone was owed compensation, it was me for him daring to ask me for compensation when he was the one who was late.

Had a friend of mine working at the Service Center after an LAX flight cancelled:
Pax: "You know, after the Passenger Bill of Rights passes, you won't be allowed to cancel flights!"
Agt: "Why is that, sir?"
Pax: "Because you'll have to have a spare plane for every flight you have!"
Agt: "So, you won't mind paying about 50% more for your ticket?"
Pax: "Why would I have to pay any more?"
Agt: "Because, sir, if we have to double our fleet size, it'll cost you that much more to play for all those aircraft."
Pax: "You won't be allowed to do that. You won't be allowed to pass on such costs to consumers!"
Well, hope you like riding Greyhound or Amtrak, buddy!
Work Right, Fly Hard

avbooks

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:37 pm

"Excuse me, Sir, you are sitting on my seat".
I check my boarding pass. 25A. I check the seat number I'm sitting on. 25A.
I say to the lady: "No, Mam, I'm afraid this is my seat. May I see your boarding pass?"
"It is 25A. Here you go."
"Oh I see! It says A25. That is the gate! Your seat is 31C!"

Smile

Analog

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Chase (Reply 29):
My peeve is when pax tell others, authoritatively, what stuff on the ground is, and they're totally wrong.
But then again, I'm a big ol' map nerd, and I recognize that not everyone else is. But...then why tell people "that's ___" when you don't know what it is?

My pet peeve is when I authoritatively tell someone what something on the ground is, only to realize later that I was way off. (I'm also a bit of a map nerd).

commavia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 81):
Christmas Day, 2001, a 20-something shows up at the counter 23 minutes before his TPA flight, and misses it. I get him at the service center.

Him: "What are you going to give me."

Oh yeah, that one's right up there with "do you know who I am?"

People show up for their flight 15 minutes before departure, with bags to check, and find it simply mystifying why it is that they can't get on the flight. One time at the ticket counter, I was standing at the self-service machine getting my BP and saw a woman screaming at the ticket agent that she absolutely demanded either: a) they hold the flight for her, b) give her 2 free First Class tickets anywhere in the world, or c) get a new airplane for her. Guess what? Her flight was leaving in 10 minutes, and she and her two kids (with 2-3 bags each) had just turned up at the airport and casually strolled in expecting everything to stop for them.

Some things never change.

JoeCanuck

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 76):
It's also hard for me to laugh at people who rarely fly being confused about air travel. I'm not an infrequent flyer, but going through an unfamiliar airport in an unfamiliar country can be a bewildering experience.

And the security situation is enough to make anyone insane. I knew the whole thing was just too confusing when I was going through security at a govenment building in Pennsylvania, and an Amish family all stopped to dutifully put their shoes on the x-ray machine belt.

Amen. It's too easy to get smug about something you know a lot about but which, in reality, is pretty specialized.

I travel hundreds of thousands of miles a year on planes, through a variety of international airports, on any number of airlines and planes. It can be bloody confusing for a seasoned traveller, much less a green flyer.

If they're being an obnoxious dick, sure, take them apart. Not knowing the difference between a 737 and a 320, for instance, hardly makes someone an idiot.

I work for an oil company. I don't expect people on the street to know what a monkey board, dog house, v-door or kelly are.

Ok...lecture over.
What the...?

davescj

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 1):
"What?!? I can fly to EUROPE for that!"

If Ryan Air starts to go across the Atlantic, it probably will be true.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

commavia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 85):
If they're being an obnoxious dick, sure, take them apart.

I agree. I think this is the key.

When it really starts to bother me and others isn't when people can't tell the difference between this plane and that plane, or don't know how the system works or why something is the way it is. The airline industry is about as complex as they come, and it is definitely way beyond any individual to understand the entire scheme. Many of us here on A.net have a far deeper understanding, and far more experience, with this things so we can, more often than not, identify a 737 from a 757, or recognize when the weather is looking like an OSO is approaching. But, of course, even we can't understand it all - nobody can.

However, when people presume to be experts, and yet really don't know and/or understand just about anything, it's really annoying. It's also not helpful when people don't understand they system or how it works, and yet they not only presume that they do, but actually become angry at airline employees and treat them inappropriately or speak to them in an uncalled for way based on their lack of understanding. There is absolutely no excuse for treating front-line people inappropriately, not matter how frustrated you get. I remember vividly back in 2000 when down in the 'bullpen' area at the end of CO's North Concourse in EWR when a gate agent was assaulted and choked - and had his neck almost broken - by an irate passenger. Many scoffed it off as "understandable" because of "air rage." The truth is that it is a lack of understanding, and any behavior like that - or even far less severe than that - is just absolutely uncalled for and unacceptable, no matter who you are or how pissed off or frustrated you might be.

Unfortunately, both of these things happen all the time, as all of our personal examples illustrate.

[Edited 2007-10-25 08:46:58]

IADCA

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 73):
It never ceases to amaze me that the media, which supposedly takes such pains to be meticulous and accurate when reporting on everything from politics to war to the economy (or so they say), just completely throws the whole accuracy ethic out the window when they do a story on aviation. They consider it acceptable to get dates and times wrong, incorrectly label aircraft and airports, and even change events. It's just scary sometimes.

It actually isn't just aviation. People on here rant about the simplistic and often inaccurate coverage of aviation in the media because that's something we know enough about to judge whether the story is simplistic or inaccurate. The average Joe (and even reporter) won't notice that a shot is an A320 and not a 737, but most people on here would probably even notice if it was a 320 rather than a 319.

I'm sure anybody with technical training in a field will notice problems with media coverage within that field. For example, most reporters have a rather low level of knowledge about the way court systems actually function; therefore, any motion which dismisses an action is labeled a "technicality," no matter whether it's something as basic as a lack of territorial jurisdiction (which is most certainly not a "technicality") or something as relatively complex as a failure to assert a compulsory counterclaim in a previous action; to a reporter, they're all the same because they lack technical knowledge. As a practical matter, reporters can't go to law school and learn the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure so as to distinguish these motions. Similarly, it's not realistic to expect them to know enough about the aviation system to realize that because a flight is blocked for 2 hours doesn't mean it actually takes two hours. They're in a rush, on a deadline, and they make mistakes. They make mistakes all the time in other stories too, but only geeks in those respective fields notice them.

Jetsgo

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 pm

I've mentioned it several times on A.net, but I will never forget a conversation I had with a classmate back in high school. She was talking about a recent trip she took to Europe. I, like many of you guys, asked her about her flights. Apparently she flew nonstop from SMF-LHR on a WN 744 in F. I was drop jaw disgusted by this ignorance, but of course bit my lip so things could continue to go forward that night.  Wink
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

IADCA

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 87):

When it really starts to bother me and others isn't when people can't tell the difference between this plane and that plane, or don't know how the system works or why something is the way it is. The airline industry is about as complex as they come, and it is definitely way beyond any individual to understand the entire scheme. Many of us here on A.net have a far deeper understanding, and far more experience, with this things so we can, more often than not, identify a 737 from a 757, or recognize when the weather is looking like an OSO is approaching. But, of course, even we can't understand it all - nobody can.

I can't edit my last reply, so I have to reply here to say that that post largely obviates what I said, and nice post. Just read the part about the media not knowing about anything else either!

commavia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 88):
I'm sure anybody with technical training in a field will notice problems with media coverage within that field. For example, most reporters have a rather low level of knowledge about the way court systems actually function; therefore, any motion which dismisses an action is labeled a "technicality," no matter whether it's something as basic as a lack of territorial jurisdiction (which is most certainly not a "technicality") or something as relatively complex as a failure to assert a compulsory counterclaim in a previous action; to a reporter, they're all the same because they lack technical knowledge.

I generally agree with you - most people don't understand aviation the way we do, that's reasonable, understandable, and normal (after all, we're the crazy ones!). But I'm not asking for a thorough accounting of writs of certiorari, or the complexities of subject matter jurisdiction. At the very least, is it too much to ask for them to put up stock footage of the right airline when doing a story on said airline? I don't think I'm asking for too much complexity here. But I do understand your sentiments.  Smile

mpdpilot

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:32 pm

So not totally about aviation. I find that where ever I am be it the hardware store or the airport someone always seems to come up to me and ask "Can you tell me where the plumbing department is" or something to that affect. I am not whereing a uniform sometimes even in a t-shirt. Does this happen to a lot of people or is it just me? Maybe I look like I work everywhere.

I have heard some pretty funny things about plane recognition though. Someone reffered to an A340 as a 747 because it had four engines. I don't get too baffeled by it my girl friend doesn't know anything about identifing cars, much less airplanes I think the only think she knows is my car. Some people just don't care about knowing that kind of stuff.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

L1011Lover

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Well I just came home fom a SVO turn and just today I heard two dumb questions... not that this was the dumbest things I've hear in 10 years of working as a flight attendant but it definitely qualifies for the section dumb questions...

1) A couple sitting in the first row of economy and of course that means they have the class divider right in front of them This was on an A321).
She rudely asks me: "Can't you take this away, I don't like this!?" I tell her: "No I can't, but we have more than 50 open seats so if you wanna move to another seat just feel free to do so!"
That of course she didn't want...

2) On the return leg to FRA we served a hot lunch and the entree selections were a vegetarian pasta (tortellini) or beef. I ask this Russian lady: "Would you like beef or vegetarian pasta?" She says: "Fish!?" I tell her: "No I'm sorry, we don't serve fish, beef or pasta would be your option." She replies: "Fish!?" I say: "No Fish, beef or vegetarian noodles!" Her response: "No fish???!!! WHY???!!!" All I was able to say was: "Because!!!"

Not that this is something out of the ordinary... things like that happen on every single flight... but this just happened to be n today's flights... lol... so I thought I might add it to this thread!

Best regards

L1011Lover

FlyBoy84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:46 pm

Landing in ORD
Pax: "Ooh what ocean are we flight over?"
Me: "Ma'am it's not an ocean it's Lake Michigan."
Pax: "No that can't be right, it's too big to be a lake."
Me: "Trust me ma'am it's a lake."

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

So you DON'T actually have to know GEOGRAPHY to be a TEACHER!!!! Oh the state of education in our country!!!!

Quoting Chase (Reply 29):
My peeve is when pax tell others, authoritatively, what stuff on the ground is, and they're totally wrong. Landing in IND, we were approaching one of the 23s, and a pax told another (a stranger to him) regarding the freeway below us, parallel to our flight path, "That's I-465. It goes around the city". It was I-70. Not a huge deal...but just because it's a freeway doesn't make it that particular freeway.

Another time, we were flying RAP-ORD and took a somewhat Southerly path due to WX. One passenger was full of inane chatter, the type that makes you think it was her first time beyond her front door in 50 years. Near SUX we had a good view of the Missouri River, and she said "look, the Snake River", which is well West of our departure point, and we were flying E/SE.

But then again, I'm a big ol' map nerd, and I recognize that not everyone else is. But...then why tell people "that's ___" when you don't know what it is?

Map nerd???? I'm good enough with it to know what runway we will land on at certain airports (ORD, MDW, STL, IAD, CLE, IAH, CLT, etc.) with a FULL OVERCAST! And I've had flights where it was cloudy AND foggy until the plane was almost on the ground!

In addition to the dumb things people SAY at airports, there are the dumb things they DO!!!! I realize that airports are big, scary places for a lot of people, but a little READING AND COMPREHENSION will go a LONG WAY!!!! Airports USUALLY have SIGNAGE to DIRECT people to places like BAGGAGE CLAIM and TICKETING and GROUND TRANSPORTATION and RESTROOMS and GATES. But people being people, folks walk around like ZOMBIES and LOST SHEEP.  Yeah sure MAYbe it's just ME; I've been on planes since I was about six months old. Airports and airplanes are old hat to me.

ALexeu

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:12 pm

My friend saw rudder pedals, and he explained to another guy that pilot brakes and throttle's up by using them...

Type-Rated

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:16 pm

From my own family!

A cousin of mine and her husband recently came back from a trip to Europe.

Me: What airline did you take?
Cousin: I don't know. I didn't notice.
Me: Do you remember what kind of plane it was, it should have been printed on the safety cards or on the video.
Cousin: I don't know, my husband takes care of all that stuff!

And this woman is an attorney!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

indywa

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:16 pm

1) Standing outside the hotel waiting for the hotel van IN uniform, a man pulls up, gets out of his car and walks up to me. "Excuse me, are you going to park my car or just stand there?" I was SO tempted to drive it about 6 blocks away and leave the keys at the front desk.

2) Working the Avro RJ-85 as we taxi out to depart, a 20-something woman literally SCREAMS "The wing is falling off!!!" when the flaps came down. It took us a while to calm everyone down. Keep in mind this was also the woman who insisted her seat was broken because her seat cushion was a little crooked when she got on.

3) "Is this the bathroom?" when they are standing right in front of the sign that says "LAVATORY"

4) That selfsame Lavatory door has a doorknob on it...just like most doors. I can't tell you how many people grab the ash tray and yank it out. And then ask "How do you open the door?"

5) Working the SAAB 340 out of MSP where we use jetways and push back with a tug usually with only 1 engine on idle, "Are they going to turn the other engine on?"

avianca707359b

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Quoting UncleBuck (Thread starter):
Dumbest Things Heard From Passengers

On the flip-side of the thread title, how about this one -

This past June I accompanied a good friend and his 81 year old parents on a trip to England and France, serving as tour guide and interpreter. For the old folks, it was their FIRST TIME on an airplane in their entire lives! We were flying on a BA 777 from JFK to LHR (daylight flight). While getting settled in their seats before pushback, here's the conversation:

MRS: "It's very quiet in here, I can't even hear the engines; I imagined it would be noisy!"
MR: "Honey, the engines haven't been started yet...you'll hear them once we get going."
MRS: "Oh.....(pause).......Then how do the lights and air conditioning work?"
MR: "There's a small engine in the tail. It runs everything until the real engines get started.
I'ts called the Extra Power Module or something like that...."

My jaw just dropped in disbelief! Their logic and knowledge were impeccable!

About an hour and a half before landing:

MRS: (looking out the window) That must be the coast of Ireland. It's very green.
ME: (checking their seat-back monitors to verify that the movie was on, not the map display) "Maybe"
MR: "I don't know, honey, I think we still have more ways to go before we fly over land"
CAPTAIN: "Just a brief update from the flight deck; we are now passing over Shannon, Ireland......."
MRS: (turning to me) "After 59 years of marriage, I'm still the one giving directions!"

Keep in mind that they had never flown before, or had any sort of aviation or geographical expertise.

Needless to say, we had a wonderful flight. And the old folks did great in Europe too.
In Memory of HK-1402 "Sucre" & HK-1410 "Bolivar"

B6JFKH81

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Was hanging out in the fwd galley on a flight when a customer comes out of the lav and says:

"I hate flying on old aircraft like this. At least you keep it clean!"

My reply was pointing to the a/c certs above the L1 door and reading for her:

"Date of manufacture was 3 months ago, I hope it has been kept clean..."

banghead   banghead 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"