Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wolborsk
Topic Author

Duty-Free Carts-Should They Get Rid Of Them?

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:30 am

Basically, the title says it all: Why should we have duty-free carts on international flights? First, it irritates me that an airline that is already making you pay a lot of money for airline ticket would have the nerve to try to sell something that nobody should ever have during any flight. A prime example: perfume. Most older planes, and some newer ones already have the smell of spilled coffee and stale air lingering about the cabin, and to add perfume to the air (like one person's account I have read) makes the atmosphere noxious. Also, the items add weight to the planes, making them heavier and thus burning more fuel. Finally (and this one is just about the most enraging to me), the ads bug me. Now, this might not be an issue for planes with AVOD, but for older IFEs, this is an issue. Why must I sit for 30 minutes watching people spray perfume all over themselves, or dance around with some cheesy music in the background, just so that I can see my movie at some point of time. What about families with little children? Do they need their kids seeing all of the advertisements, most of which are not appropriate for families with younger audiences? Please give me your opinion on this topic, and tell me your thoughts on whether duty-free items should or should not be sold on planes.

tennis69

RE: Duty-Free Carts-Should They Get Rid Of Them?

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:30 am

The world is one giant free market capitalistic zone and thank god it is. As long as the airlines make money they will continue to do this regardless of anyones concerns or feelings.

deaphen

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:54 pm

I dunno about the other products but when airlines dont have the scale models to buy onboard im pissed off!!  Smile

nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

ANother

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:26 pm

It would seem to me that airlines that don't make some money by doing it would stop it.

Interesting for flights within the EU, we still have in-flight shopping - even though it is no longer 'duty'-free.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:02 pm

Duty free onboard is still an expectation of customer service with an international flight. When that expectation, and demand, disappears, so will the carts. Until then, it is one more cart through the aisles.
You can't cure stupid

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 am

personally I like it - i just wish there were more interesting things for sale - it seems like we get the same tired 'name-brand' products no matter on which airline or in which region of the world we're flying

and it's very skewed towards women - pages and pages of makeup, and then one pair of men's sunglasses and a travel adapter!

it would be great to see much more home-port specific items on offer - like cuckoo clocks on Swiss, gold chopsticks on SQ, designer Balikbayan bags on PR (ex-MNL only) or branded Tim-Tams on QF - obviously I'm joking - but you know what I mean, right?

NG1Fan

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:28 am

I believe FAs get a commission for on-board sales on some airlines.

When I used to fly OS VIE-SVO regularly, it used to take the duty-free cart up to one hour to make the length of a A321. And I later found out that this particular flight was OS highest-grossing flight for in-flight duty-free flights. Customers were usually Russia/CIS residents - spending their remaining Euros or stocking up on gifts for loved ones (or themselves!).

If you don't like it, nobody forces to purchase anything.

NG1Fan

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):
Duty free onboard is still an expectation of customer service with an international flight. When that expectation, and demand, disappears, so will the carts. Until then, it is one more cart through the aisles.

Rubbish. Air New Zealand stopped with Duty free years ago, with the exception of Japan (due to the agreement with JL) which sells NZ made stuff, like kiwifruit wine,wine & greenstone jewelery etc.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 7):
Rubbish

Maybe Kiwis don't find it an expectation. Others do.
You can't cure stupid

aerorobnz

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 8):
Maybe Kiwis don't find it an expectation. Others do.

I've flown around every habitated continent on the planet, and watched as the carts go past without anyone even noticing/caring on many occasion.... dutyfree isn't really expected as part of the IFE anymore.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 9):
dutyfree isn't really expected as part of the IFE anymore.

It isn't considered IFE., but part of service. It still remains a certain expectation level.

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 9):
I've flown around every habitated continent on the planet, and watched as the carts go past without anyone even noticing/caring on many occasion

I, too, have flown around every habitated continent on the planet and am asked, if not something bought, about duty free on every single one of my flights. Every single one. 21 years worth.
You can't cure stupid

TG992

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 pm

In my years of flying, I have never had a single query about duty free since we dropped it.
Not a single one. I typically do one longhaul (10-14 hour) round trip per week.

Air New Zealand, believe it or not, doesn't just fly New Zealanders.
-