extspotter

RE: Can You Still Remember Your Very First Flight?

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 29):
August 3rd 2007 on G-JEDM on the BE371 routing EXT-MAN. Pushed back 0652, airborne 0700, landed 0745 and home (5 miles away from MAN) at 0815.

Thats wierd, my first Flybe and prop flight was the BE371 EXT - MAN on the 10th August 2007. Gate 3 T3, G-JECU. Pushback 06.48, airborne 06.56, landed 07.38 on 24R. But insted of going home, we ran over to T2 and got on FCA166 to Punta Cana 763ER G-PJLO.

Anywho, my first flight was July 22nd 1998 (I was 6) On an Airtours International (now MyTravel) 763ER G-SJMC (which they still have) to PUJ as well lol, but the airport before was a grass shack, it is nice now, but before it was very very special. I remember the film, my favourite martian. I also remember having a set of middle seats to sleep on (2 4 2) It was my first flight, but the flight that bit me with the bug was actually on Ryanair TSF - STN in April 2003. It was on EI-COX (732Adv) and it took off like a rocket and I loved funny sensation and now I want to do it over and over again. I had a flashback when spotting at PUJ in August, when I was taking photos of an Aerogal 732Adv taking off and I wished I was on there.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

tb727

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:01 am

Way back in 1980 when I was less than 3 weeks old going from MSP-CLE on NW. I assume it was a 727 though it could have been a DC-10, I'd have to ask my parents if they remembered. I of course don't remember any of it. I've been flying ever since though, even made a career out of it.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Viscount724

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:41 am

Age 8, summer 1955, Edmonton-Calgary, on an AC (then TCA) Vickers Viscount 724 (thus my user ID). That flight is still very clear in my mind. The one in the photo was their first Viscount, and the first turbine-powered airliner in service anywhere in North America (April 1955 if memory correct). Capital Airlines in the US was 2nd when they put their first Viscount into service a few months later.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mel Lawrence

ajd1992

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:04 pm

May or so 1998 - Airtours B752, IIRC it was G-GRJR I think. It's the one in the latest airliner world sat parted out in Arizona somewhere, anyway.  Sad

InbarD

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:58 am

Nope can't remember my first flight, 1991 i was too young only 5 months old. Flew from Israel to Australia. Can't remember the specific route or airlines, although i think one of the legs was with LX A340-300, but I'm not sure.

bok269

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:11 pm

I believe it was NY-Florida (FLL or MIA most likely). No idea on carrier, date, etc. I was 1 at the time. My parents took me to Mets Spring Training...instead we ended up spending the game in the parking lot because I wanted to look at the cars...things have changed quite a bit since then.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

NG1Fan

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:55 am

First flight was on OS GRZ-VIE in 1975. It was also a solo flight as a UAM. Can't remember too much except that it was a short flight on a propeller machine.

NG1Fan

NWADC9

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:10 am

All I know is that it was on a NW plane from PIT. I was a wee lad!
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

mal787

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:24 am

Sure can November 12th 1973 Britannia Airways 737 London Gatwick to Majorca. I was that excited about it I did not sleep the night before , I still have the boarding pass in my photo album.
Thankfully I dont get that excited anymore .
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

IDISA

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Of course I can! My very first flight was a short hop on a Cessna over Lago Maggiore, Northern Italy, flight time was some 30 minutes and I was 8 years old. Was very impressed.

Anyway I had to wait until 1997 (when I was 20) for next flight, which was MXP-PCA, on Air Europe B767-300ER as a part of my vacation to Republica Dominicana  Smile

IDISA

PRGDLGUY

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:54 pm

In 1975 or 76 from SLD to PRG on CSA Yak 40. Since then I´m mad about planes.

FlyOakland2IAH

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:17 pm

Feel like an old timer. First flight was a Lockheed Electra Jet, PSA, SFO-LAX in 1964 or 1965, I believe.

N231YE

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:19 pm

Sometime in April, 1996, I flew a CLE-CVG flight on a DL MD-88, and that flight pretty much sealed my fate in aviation.

swabrian

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:09 pm

It was in the summer of 1954 and I wasn't quite two yet. We flew on a Pioneer Air Lines DC-3 from Clovis, New Mexico to Abilene, Texas via a stop in Lubbock.

Faustino927

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 pm

My first flight happened when I was 7 years old. We were leaving Cuba for Spain in 1967. It was an Iberia B707 or a Douglas DC-8. Not sure which one it was.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

nema

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 pm

Was 1966 or 67, my dad won on the football pools, not a massive fortune but it offered us our first trip abroad when non of my school mates had even thought of it.

The flight was from Luton to Italy but i cannot remember the airport we flew to there and, it was on a Britannia Airways, Britannia 102 affectionately called the whispering giant. Four prop engines and at the time it seemed a huge beast. I loved it.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

dispatchguy

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 pm

10 years old

Eastern Airlines 693 / 25 March 1978 / IND-ATL / DC9-10 / N8908E

Very low cloud deck, brilliant blue above when we broke thru the layer - it was at that moment I knew I wanted to be in the airline biz, somehow.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

maxair

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:21 pm

04th April 1982 BA 073 LHR-YMX-YYZ BA747-136 G-BDPV

Travelled with my parents to visit my Uncle in Toronto. Still have the boarding pass!

A300605R

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 am

Oh yeah, the day I started loving aviation... 8 years old.

ST 312 SCN - PMI B737-35B D-AGEE

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Kelly

That's why I like cheatlines that much.  Smile

wave 
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

Zentraedi

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:41 am

United ORD-IAD

8th grade DC field trip

FLYACYYZ

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:49 pm

AC "short" DC-8 YYZ to MIA in 1968.

Family came to the house with a box of chocolates and mixed nuts for the royal send off, and we were all dressed to the nines for the big journey. Leisure suits and medallions IIRC  Smile

Those pictures will forever remain hidden in the family archives.
Above and Beyond

FlySSC

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:18 pm

I am 43 years old . old 
I have something like 12000 hours of flight as a flight attendant, including 1354 hours on Concorde, but I still can remember clearly my very first flight, on an Air Inter Vickers Viscount between MRS (Marseille) and BIA (Bastia/Corsica) during the summer 1970, when I was about 6 years old ! .

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rick Skoroszewski

LO231

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:52 pm

1989, October, I was 15 and had to save for this particular trip from my weekend job.

WAW - GDN on an Antonov 24 by LOT.

I remember the trip very well, couldn't sleep all night from excitement, after visiting airport so many times and being jealous of passengers boarding different planes, I was to do it myself!

I came back the same day by train to Warsaw, couldn't afford by plane in those days, flying was not cheap back then!

Best regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

Yflyer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:02 am

Yeah, I remember it... of course it was only October 2003. I was in grad school at the time and was in a long distance relationship with a girl, and wanted to go visit her in Seattle during my fall break.

The night before the flight I ran to the store and picked up some over the counter sleeping pills. If it weren't for those I doubt I would have gotten any sleep before the flight, due to the mix of excitement and nervousness I was feeling. I still didn't get much sleep. Being a poor grad student I didn't want to have to pay for parking, so I got up at 5:00 in the morning to catch the bus to the airport. And so my journey began...

This was the era of e-tickets, and not having a piece of paper to prove I'd bought a ticket made me a little nervous at the time (I've since learned to love e-tickets). I arrived at the airport and found my way to the United Express ticket counter. I didn't know the terms "mainline" and "regional" at the time, but I remember being a little surprised that RDU was only served by United Express and not United. UA didn't have self check in kiosks at RDU at the time, so I showed my ID to the agent and she checked me in, and gave her my bag to check. It was small enough to take as a carry-on, but she told my I couldn't bring my razor through security (in retrospect maybe I could have as it was a safety razor and not a straight razor, or were the the rules stricter then?)

I found a fairly short line at security, watched what the people in in front of me were doing and got through with no problems. I found my gate and saw the podium with an agent standing behind it. I wasn't sure if there was something I was supposed to do there, so I walked up to it and showed the agent my boarding passes. He politely informed me that I was all checked in and there was nothing further I needed to do until it was time to board. I'm guessing he got that a lot from first time fliers.

I had quite a bit of time to kill as the bus schedule forced me to arrive much earlier than I needed to and the line at security was shorter than I expected, so I sat around watching a group of people at the next gate whose flight had been delayed several hours and told myself how glad I was that I wasn't on their flight, listened to some music, and walked to the window to check out the plane I'd be on, a BAe 146. I thought it was cool the the plane was neither an Airbus nor a Boeing, though I had no idea at the time that I was actually pretty lucky to fly on one as they would be phased out from flying in North America just a few years later.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Licko

We boarded on time, but took off a little late due to the fact that a non-English speaker from that delayed flight I mentioned before accidentally boarded out flight, and that took a little while to straighten out. One thing that I distinctly remember about this United Express flight operated by Air Wisconsin was the FA's rather pronounced upper Midwestern accent, which I loved. It reminded me of my grandparents, who are in fact from Wisconsin. The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful. It was a very smooth flight. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was impressed by how smooth it was. I absolutely loved the approach to ORD! It was a clear day and the view of Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago was spectacular. The landing was incredibly smooth as well; you could barely notice we'd touched down. I was also impressed how quickly we got to Chicago. I'm sure to seasoned fliers an approximately 2 hour flight from RDU to ORD is nothing special, but my family always took road trips when we traveled. When we drove from NC to Wisconsin to visit relatives it took all day to get to Illinois, where we'd stop and get a hotel room, and yet here I was arriving in Chicago and it wasn't even lunch time!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jean - AirTeamImages

We got to Chicago a bit late, and then I had to tackle the next thing that had me a little nervous -- connecting at O'Hare. I'd heard stories about how big O'Hare was and how long it can take to walk between certain concourses there. I remember starting out near the end of the concourse, probably somewhere in the vicinity of gate C3, and walking to gate B-something. It turned out I had nothing to worry about. Everything was well marked and I easily found my way to the gate. I thought the moving sidewalks were quite fun, and enjoyed that tunnel between the two concourses. I also liked all the activity there, the crowds of people from all over the country and probably all over the world. I got to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare and boarded the next leg, which was on a 757-200. Compared to the BAe 146 I'd just been on the 757 seemed huge.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Allen Yao
View Large View Medium

Photo © John F. Zielinski

This flight took off right on time and was also pretty uneventful. We got a cold meal: a turkey sandwich, a bag of chips, and probably a candy bar or something. There may have been a salad as well. Then I watched the movie, which as I recall was Hollywood Homicide starring Harrison Ford. A so-so movie, but it was something to do. The captain informed us that were making very good time and would likely arrive in Seattle well ahead of schedule. That turned out not to be the case, as he later informed us that ATC was putting us in a holding pattern. Landing at SEA was not as smooth as my previous flight, and during the approach it felt like we were being blown around by some pretty gusty winds. I'm sure we were perfectly safe, but that had me and some of the other passengers gripping the arm rests.

When I got off the plane, I was a bit surprised at how small and uncrowded the terminal felt. I thought surely Seattle would have a bigger airport. Then I followed the signs to baggage claim -- and got my first ride on the people mover. As it tuned out I was just in the North Satellite, and the rest of the airport was much bigger. I met my then girlfriend near baggage claim, where she coached me in the art of pushing my way through the crowd at the baggage carousel.

And that concludes the story of my first flight. Wow, that was a lot longer that I was expecting it to be!