PiedmontINT
Topic Author

Non-revving, Badge On Or Off?

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:38 am

I just had a thought, of course being courteous and following the dress code is essential to being a good non-revver, but should you wear the badge or not?

There seems to be 2 schools of thought: One being the badge wearer and the fact that the staff immediately knows they are an employee and by wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze, F/A's who may want to chat with you Big grin. And the other being the hide the badge and blend in types who say dont draw any attention to yourself whatsoever..

I am curious as to what all you other employees out there think and does it actually help or hurt if you have the badge on?

SkyexRamper

RE: Non-revving, Badge On Or Off?

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting PiedmontINT (Thread starter):
One being the badge wearer and the fact that the staff immediately knows they are an employee and by wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze, F/A's who may want to chat with you .

I've gotten most of the above from just wearing my IDs, just don't have them sticking out like a sore thumb. Then again, so does introducing yourself to the crew.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

DH8PU

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:51 am

Unless im in uniform...Badge off. I do not wish to promote the fact that im airline staff to all the passangers who have all paid plenty of money for their tickets. A keen eyed Purser will see my name on the passanger list anyway.
Cabin secure and doors checked

tcfc424

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:57 am

When I non-rev, I always use my badge when passing through security. Sometimes it takes them a second to recognize what kind of ID I am providing, but as soon as they recognize a SIDA badge, things go very smoothly. That said, I travel with my badge but once through the security line, it goes in my carryon. Good FA's will know who the non-revs are.

When I fly, I try not to let other pax know I am non-rev. 1) They don't need to know, 2) I don't want dumb questions...You work for United...so are you a pilot... 3) Those that need to know, know...those that don't have no clue.

I don't know about anyone else, however when I fly, I am constantly people-watching. Perhaps it's a product of 9/11, perhaps it's my military training, or maybe crazy, but I watch everyone. I watch their movements, their actions, their body language. I feel perfectly safe flying (regardless of what everyone says about the sorry state of aviation security) but I am always watching. Nervous, no. Aware, you bet your a$$!

Maverick623

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting TCFC424 (Reply 3):
Perhaps it's a product of 9/11, perhaps it's my military training, or maybe crazy,

I think guilty on all three counts!

I use my badge to get through security, and just like most others it comes off. No reason to wear it on the plane, the good f/a's know who you are... actually, if you're a whore like me you already know most of them.

F/A's who may want to chat with you .

I defer to my above statement. Besides, why work at it while trying to relax? Do the work on the clock!

When I fly, I try not to let other pax know I am non-rev.

Well, I don't actively avoid it either. I actually find it good customer service to explain some of the intricacies of our job to curious folks. Then again, I haven't dealt with annoying or pissed off pax yet!

[Edited 2007-12-05 23:19:47]
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

silentbob

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 am

I always have mine on a lanyard but it's usually facing backwards after I clear security.

san747

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:31 am

I carry mine with me and usually use it to pass security and get extra help with the gate agents. In fact, it helped get me an upgrade on PHX-SNA tonight!  Smile

But otherwise, I keep it in my backpack and the only visible indication to anyone that I have anything to do with US Airways is the pin I wear on my jacket or shirt.
Scotty doesn't know...

F9Animal

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:22 am

I do not wear a badge when I non-rev. Especially if I am drinking. It not only has the potential to create questions by passengers, but it also does not promote a professional image of the company you represent. I have mistakenly worn my badge onboard flights, and at times has gotten me a few freebies, but that is about it. I also agree with others that the paying passengers really don't need or want to know.

I will wear my badge (sometimes) when walking through airport terminals, as it is sometimes nice to get a discount at food places and gift shops.
I Am A Different Animal!!

CanadianNorth

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:23 am

When I fly on my passes I pretty much make myself look like any other passengers. I have my airline ID out when I check in, but once that's done it goes back in my pocket and thats the end of that. But it still can be obvious, only because in cabin services we deal with the flight attendants a lot, so I know them all and they all know me. Nothing special, but it is nice to have the friendly faces, and the whats up where you off to conversation is always fun.

But it proves the point that a good F/A will already know, and chances are few if any other people in the cabin will care.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

JDAirCEO

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:54 am

I use my badge to get through security and will have it out if I'm buying something in the airport, for the discount of course.

If your in J/F I think its tacky to where your ID, the FA knows who you are anyway in those cabins. In Y, if I want a drink I'll have my badge visible but not on display, and I always offer to pay.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

Silver1SWA

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 am

When I non-rev, I fly under the radar. (haha good one, eh?)

But seriously, I do not go out of the way to let crew or pax know that I am an employee. I act like any other passenger. However, if I am riding the 4th jumpseat, I am required to wear my badge.

Some of my friends wear their badge no matter what. Some of them are very obvious with their badge around their arm. Dorks...  Silly

Oh and as far as security goes I always show it. This was here debated heavily in the past, but I'm sorry...I use that perk to my advantage. I will go straight to the front of the line with my badge if I have to.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

avek00

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:03 am

There seems to be 2 schools of thought: One being the badge wearer and the fact that the staff immediately knows they are an employee and by wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze, F/A's who may want to chat with you . And the other being the hide the badge and blend in types who say dont draw any attention to yourself whatsoever..

I am curious as to what all you other employees out there think and does it actually help or hurt if you have the badge on?

The first school should be demolished -- it's badge off. Period. To the maximum extent feasible, nonrevs are to be "neither seen nor heard" onboard a flight. I mean, it's all fun, games, and freebies until some peeved pax complains and folks get written up, right?
Live life to the fullest.

pilotaydin

Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:28 am

BADGE ON - always need to be known for emegencies.....seconds count
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

LN-MOW

Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 am

The moment you get your boardingpass with a seat and/or pass the gate counter - badge off!! You're just another passenger.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

n917me

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 12):

The FA's will know you are a non rev by the PIL they receive from the gate agents prior to pushback.

I use my badge to clear security and to check in at the gate. Other that that.. it is put away, unless I am in the JS, where I would need to wear it.

I find no need to "advertise" I am an airline employee. Yes, I am proud of the company I work for, but I am also "secure" enough that I don't feel the need to say " look at me, I am special and have my airline ID on." I don't wear a uniform, but If if did, then an ID should be worn.

As many others have said.. a good crew & gate agent know who you are whether you wear your ID or not and will extend any courtesies if available.

Besides, I deal with passengers all day, why the hell would I want to advertise that I work for an airline, especially when there are IROPS and you are on an aircraft full of people who are cranky as hell and want you to solve all the ATC & WX issues and then assist them with their missed connections (especially when you are on an OAL) while in a small metal tube?

RJdxer

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 pm

CO had a policy right after 9/11 that recommended that all employees wear their employee badges. They have since backed off this. If I'm riding in back either in Y or F then I don't. The lead FA knows who you are from the final unless you change seats or are riding WN!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

bobnwa

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Since very few airline employees are trained in emergency procedures, how would this help. Wearing an employee badge when not working is tacky.

VgnAtl747

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:55 pm

My rule of thumb was always that if I was traveling as non-revenue on company business, ie: to/from training etc., I would wear my badge.

If traveling for pleasure on flight benefits I would carry my badge on, display it to the crew and introduce myself... then store it away either in my pocket or carry-on. No need to display it to passengers.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

dispatchguy

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:16 pm

I want everyone to know that there is more than just the F/As in back who care about the plane. I most certainly wear it, for if there is someone in the back who wants to cause a problem, maybe seeing someone else other than a F/A in the pass cabin with a badge on might make him think about doing something else.

Even if I am traveling offline, I wear it, and make myself available and known to at least one flight attendant in the back, even if its just that "friendly nod."

Granted, I try to avoid flying in the back at all, however, if I am, I do do the above.

DS
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

lowrider

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
Unless im in uniform...Badge off

When I non-rev, I always use my badge when passing through security. Sometimes it takes them a second to recognize what kind of ID I am providing, but as soon as they recognize a SIDA badge, things go very smoothly. That said, I travel with my badge but once through the security line, it goes in my carryon.

Agree with both of these entirely. As a non-rev, you are supposed to try and blend with the revenue pax. Some may think the badge makes them special. It does not.

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 5):
always have mine on a lanyard but it's usually facing backwards after I clear security.

What purpose does this serve? It still announces you as an employee. It still says, "look at me".

If seconds are all you have, there is not enough time to use non-revs effectively. If there is time, cabin crew will ask for help if they need it. They get trained for that sort of thing.

Unless I have to have my badge on, (ie, I am in uniform or clearing security as a jumpseater) the badge goes in my pocket or carry on. No one else needs to know what I do. Further, I have no need to draw the ire of a disgruntled pax or the questions of a curious one. All I want to do is get on the plane and read my book.
Proud OOTSK member

bond007

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting VgnAtl747 (Reply 17):
My rule of thumb was always that if I was traveling as non-revenue on company business, ie: to/from training etc., I would wear my badge.

If traveling for pleasure on flight benefits I would carry my badge on, display it to the crew and introduce myself... then store it away either in my pocket or carry-on. No need to display it to passengers.

This should be common sense policy for any job that requires you to wear a badge or ID.

If you are on any kind of company business or in uniform, and it may be required to be shown, then wear it.
If you're out on a pleasure trip and it's purely leisure - don't wear it. Keep it handy if you need to.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

dbo861

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 4):
Then again, I haven't dealt with annoying or pissed off pax yet!

You must not have worked in this industry very long have you?

[Edited 2007-12-06 06:03:27]

OHLHD

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:20 pm

The only thing I do is to greet the crew onboard and telling them that I am staff and if there is a shortage of food or drinks they should serve me last.  Smile I never wear anything that identifies myself with the airline. It might annoy passengers or annoys me if a passenger starts talking to me.

dispatchguy

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 22):
annoys me if a passenger starts talking to me.

Get an Ipod - I have never been bothered with it on, even if it isnt on.  Smile
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

airportugal310

Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:46 pm

I always used to wear it just to ID myself at the gate and then...once I had the coveted "boarding pass" in hand I would take it off and wouldnt see it again until I went elsewhere.

PS: I say "boarding pass" because nothing is final until that boarding door is closed on the plane. I have seen non-revs pulled off for revenue pax before! I am sure the rest of you have seen it too
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

EWRCabincrew

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 1):
just don't have them sticking out like a sore thumb

checkmark 

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 1):
introducing yourself to the crew.

checkmark 

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
Unless im in uniform...Badge off.

checkmark 

Quoting DH8PU (Reply 2):
keen eyed Purser will see my name on the passanger list anyway.

checkmark}

No reason to wear it on the plane, the good f/a's know who you are

checkmark 

actually, if you're a whore like me you already know most of them.

rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 8):
I pretty much make myself look like any other passengers.

checkmark 

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 16):
Wearing an employee badge when not working is tacky.

checkmark 
You can't cure stupid

ilovepabst

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 14):
The FA's will know you are a non rev by the PIL they receive from the gate agents prior to pushback.

Exactly. They know you are non-rev when you check in, the gate knows you are non-rev, the FA usually receives paperwork showing non-revs and most of the time it is non-revs that are cleared on to the plane last. Most people I have viewed wearing airline ID, aside from deadheading crew, seem to do so as some type of entitlement to extra perks and special service. If you are flight crew you can "make yourself known" upon boarding and leave it at that.

avek00

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Dispatchguy (Reply 18):
I want everyone to know that there is more than just the F/As in back who care about the plane. I most certainly wear it, for if there is someone in the back who wants to cause a problem, maybe seeing someone else other than a F/A in the pass cabin with a badge on might make him think about doing something else.

No disrespect, but are you a trained inflight security professional, and why do you feel such a need for attention from others (which is something real inflight security professionals try hard NOT to bring unto themselves in order to maximize their effectiveness)?
Live life to the fullest.

RJwrench85

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm

No Badge!!! Only for the shortcut in security. But if someone is clever they wonder why there is someone dressed up for first class stuck in the last row of a UA777 flight to HNL. Sometimes they can figure it out. (But then again alot of the dress rules for coach flights NRSA have relaxed alot)
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

KingAir200

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:48 pm

I usually use mine to clear security and then take it off after I board, like in the jetbridge. Sometimes I forget to take it off, and quite frankly, I don't care if anyone else sees it and figures out that I work for the airline. I never deal with passengers anyway, so I wouldn't have any answers to their questions.

slider

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:54 pm

I usually keep it off for personal travel but sometimes on for business travel. Often, it’s tough to be inconspicuous when you’ve got a company badtag on your rollerboard or laptop bag. More often than not though, I try to not stick out either because inevitably customers then want to talk to you (or complain) about the company, some bad experience, etc. You suck it up, be the face o the company, chat it up a bit, and move on. But I usually read and try not to get too chatty with people.

wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze,

Upgrades? Ha! I wish! What is this upgrade thing you speak of? And I wish there were free booze involved. Comps are VERY rare these days and definitely not doled out to employees. Let me clear that misconception up right now.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 15):
CO had a policy right after 9/11 that recommended that all employees wear their employee badges. They have since backed off this. If I'm riding in back either in Y or F then I don't. The lead FA knows who you are from the final unless you change seats or are riding WN!

Last time I flew WN, I was just sticking my badge in my bag and the FA saw it…she then flipped me a packet of free drink coupons. Professional courtesy I guess. And she was cute.  Smile

TWAL1011

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Badge off! Very tacky. As a f/a I always hated people doing this and would tell them badge off in a discreet manner all the time. No one cares!

airtran737

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:07 pm

I keep my badge on until I have met the crew, then I take it off. People always know you're an employee anyway. When I throw my roll aboard in the overhead along with my flight case that has stickers w/pics of a SR-71 on it, a Pan Am Gone but Not Forgotten Bumper Sticker, an AOPA sticker, an American Airlines 9-11 sticker, a Dodge Ram logo that looks like an American flag, and a If it Ain't Boeing, I Ain't Going" sticker. I think it's pretty easy to figure out that I am an employee.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Airspeed777

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:11 pm

In the earlier days of Pan AM, Eastern, Western, PSA National, Braniff and American, Our employee benefits office would always add a reminded to our non rev passes never to disclosed to any passenger of our flying status.

chase

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:18 pm

At TZ, we were told by mgmt not to have our badges visible while non-revving, so I never did. But F/A's usually knew. I'm out of the industry now, but I can still "talk the talk" (i.e. asking the "equipment type" instead of "will we fly on one of those big airplanes?") and I choose to believe that contributes to the good treatment I usually receive.

EXAAUADL

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Badge OFF!!!!! If youre in F or C the crew knows youre an employee anyways....At AA and UA I never saw employees wear their ID, but at DL all the time.....It is bad nonrev ettiquette. It sort of says "look at me, Im an employee on free travel"

NwAflyer07

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm non-reving for the first time an an airline employee on the 13th, and plan on displaying my badge (as long as im not in first class) as well as letting the crew know I'd be gald to help them with anything they need if problems arise.

Ive non-reved my whole live under my father's travel benefits and he usually tucked his badge in his pocket after letting the crew know he worked for the airline as a mechanic. When im in first, i'll hide the fact that im an employee to other passangers so as not to upset any platnium or gold card members who should have been upgraded to my seat.

klm672

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Just before boarding I will take off my badge and wings. Whenever I fly I always get the "where do you work?" "How high are we?" How fast are we going? questions from the person next to me and I really want to sleep, unless its a cute girl (only on one occasion). I now do my best to blend in or wear my jacket and leave it zipped up if i am in uniform.

PGNCS

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Good FA's will know who the non-revs are.

When I fly, I try not to let other pax know I am non-rev. 1) They don't need to know, 2) I don't want dumb questions...You work for United...so are you a pilot... 3) Those that need to know, know...those that don't have no clue.

You hit this one right on the head, except the followup to your question 2 is ALWAYS "So what route do you fly?" I have no desire to become involved in a conversation with a passenger, especially about flying.

I use my badge to get through security, and just like most others it comes off. No reason to wear it on the plane, the good f/a's know who you are...

Exactly. Nonrevs are easy to spot by experienced FA's, and at most carriers (like mine) they get a list of the Nonrevs and where they are seated anyway. They won't think you are more special with your badge on. Nothing good can come of it.

checkmark 

I use my badge to clear security and to check in at the gate. Other that that.. it is put away, unless I am in the JS, where I would need to wear it.

Yes; that is the only time I wear mine, but that is required at our company to insure passengers understand that it is an authorized person in the cockpit.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 16):

Since very few airline employees are trained in emergency procedures, how would this help.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 19):

If seconds are all you have, there is not enough time to use non-revs effectively. If there is time, cabin crew will ask for help if they need it. They get trained for that sort of thing.

I totally agree with you guys. If seconds count the badge is extremely unlikely to have any effect on the outcome or management of the situation. Unless you are a pilot or FA then you are unlikely to be appropriately trained for emergency procedures; if you ARE a pilot or FA, you should be able to be counted upon to do the right thing regardless of whether your badge is on your shirt or in your pocket.

Quoting Slider (Reply 30):
wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze,

Upgrades? Ha! I wish! What is this upgrade thing you speak of? And I wish there were free booze involved. Comps are VERY rare these days and definitely not doled out to employees. Let me clear that misconception up right now.

checkmark  I second that. Upgrades are very rare these days, and almost unheard of for nonrevs, especially on flights between popular city pairs. I nonrev on several different carriers to and from work as a commuter, normally twice a week in each direction. I have been in first class possibly four times this year so far.

phelpsie87

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:00 pm

I guess I am both. I keep my badge on through security and to the gate, considering I like my airport discounts that I get at Starbucks haha. I figure, I have to show the gate agent anyway to get my BP, so why not just keep it out till I board. Usually, once I am on board and seated, it comes off. I like to keep it on so the F/A can recognize where I am sitting right away, but once I am in contact with regular pax, it goes into my pocket or backpack. Of course, most of us know we can't drink in our badges anyway, so its best to put away Big grin

At my airline, we are asked to help pick up trash and cross seat belts, so once we land, and most pax are off the aircraft, my badge goes back on. Also, if I am heading back to my airport, I usually turn the badge around to the SIDA side considering I usually take a back-way to my car.

For business travel, badge on at all times. Most of time I am in uniform anyway travelling to or from work.

As for the perks...the only perks you might get are going to be discounts at airport shops, and the faster line at TSA. Other then that, no agent will give you a better seat just because you are badged, we have seniority for a reason.

UncleBuck

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Good FA's will know who the non-revs are.

the good f/a's know who you are

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 8):

But it proves the point that a good F/A will already know,

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 15):
The lead FA knows who you are from the final unless you change seats

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 35):
f youre in F or C the crew knows youre an employee anyways

I have sort of a problem with all the "good FA" statements here, as to insinuate that if an FA does NOT know you are a non-rev, they are bad. We get really busy during boarding. If someone isn't in uniform, doesn't have their ID, doesn't tell me they are a non-rev, is someone I haven't worked with before or seen at the airport, and doesn't have luggage that says "CREW" on it, you look just like everyone else. Even if you do have crew luggage, when we are trying to get everyone on board and making all our other announcements, we might not notice that, let alone remember where you sit. If you DO tell us you are a non-rev, it's entirely possible that we will have forgotten what you look like 30-45 minutes later when we are starting our services, selling headsets, etc. As far as the reports, while I HAVE been handed reports that show pass riders names and seat assignments, I have also been handed finals that just show names, as well as reports that did not show anything regarding pass riders (when there were in fact pass riders on the flight). Even when we do get the really detailed ones, we aren't going to carry it with us or memorize the assignments. It is a reference for us in case of a meal shortage or an emergency in which we would need ABAs. You want a free headset or alcohol? Your best bet is to have your badge visible when I get to your row. Don't flash it to me, or I will laugh at you and charge you. That is tacky and disrespectful and completely unprofessional. I never expect the FAs to know who I am or where I am, but we aren't mind readers and have way too many duties related to the operation of the flight to find all the non-revs based on the report for perk purposes, and I don't dare say that they aren't "good FAs" because they don't know.

UncleBuck

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 39):
Of course, most of us know we can't drink in our badges anyway

That's odd... at my airline we only have a rule against drinking in uniform... other than the 8 hours, etc rules.

Wearing your badge is how to get yourself a free drink on the plane  Wink

EWRCabincrew

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting UncleBuck (Reply 40):
You want a free headset or alcohol? Your best bet is to have your badge visible when I get to your row. Don't flash it to me, or I will laugh at you and charge you.

Better still, just say "do you have enough". It implies you are a non-rev and lets the flight attendant know that, especially if the crew runs out of something. No matter what airline I travel on. Uniform or not.
You can't cure stupid

jetdeltamsy

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm

And the other being the hide the badge and blend in types who say dont draw any attention to yourself whatsoever..

You are supposed to remain anonymous in terms of your status as flying non-rev. Wearing your badge would seem to be out of line with that policy.

One being the badge wearer and the fact that the staff immediately knows they are an employee and by wearing it helps you with the perks i.e. upgrades, free booze, F/A's who may want to chat with you

Flight attendants already know from the passenger manifest who is non-rev and who isn't.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

UncleBuck

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 42):
Better still, just say "do you have enough". It implies you are a non-rev and lets the flight attendant know that, especially if the crew runs out of something. No matter what airline I travel on. Uniform or not.

Very true, this slipped my mind.

Maverick623

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Quoting Dbo861 (Reply 21):
You must not have worked in this industry very long have you?

A scant year and a half, all of it on the ramp. Bags don't yell at me when things go wrong!  Big grin

Quoting NwAflyer07 (Reply 36):
I'm non-reving for the first time an an airline employee on the 13th, and plan on displaying my badge (as long as im not in first class) as well as letting the crew know I'd be gald to help them with anything they need if problems arise.

And what exactly can you help with that they might not know about? I'm not trying to jump on you, but they know who and where you are already. If a problem should arise that you feel you could help with, that would be the time to identify yourself. I know it's exciting, but try to keep on on the DL.  wink 

not to upset any platnium or gold card members who should have been upgraded to my seat.

I dunno how it is at NW, but at US Platinum and Gold card members are upgraded before non-revs.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

HALFA

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Definitely badge OFF!!

I hate the look at me, look at me types that come on board displaying their badges. And what's worse, I hate when OTHER airline employees come on board my flights wearing their badges, and then behave badly. Other passengers will then think that these showboats work for MY airline because they are wearing their badge, and make us look bad.
If terrorists were ever able to make it onboard one of my flights and attempt to take over the aircraft, I would point out the badge wearers to them and tell them they are security agents and they should get whacked first.  Smile

Badge OFF!!
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

dbo861

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 45):
A scant year and a half, all of it on the ramp. Bags don't yell at me when things go wrong!

I just looked at your profile and I have to know..how can you work on the ramp in PHX in the summer time. Isn't that brutal?

swatpamike

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello All

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 45):
And what exactly can you help with that they might not know about? I'm not trying to jump on you, but they know who and where you are already.

When I non-rev I always have my badge on. When I board I let the FA know that I will help pass out snacks if they wish. I have been taken up on this offer many time.

I have also had a FA ask me to sit close to a pax that was giving her trouble. The fact that I am 6 feet and 275 with an airline badge helped out a lot.

Cheers

swatpamike

jetdeltamsy

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm

and plan on displaying my badge (as long as im not in first class) as well as letting the crew know I'd be gald to help them with anything they need if problems arise.

Don't you know they know who is a non-rev already? They do.

And why do you think they would need your help with anything?

Believe me, the crew would much prefer you take your seat and be quiet. They are able to handle anything that comes along. Unless there is a medical crisis for which you are uniquely qualified to help out with, stay seated with your mouth shut.

And put your badge away. You just want people to know you work there..."oooh, heeee's an AIRLINE employee...he is special..." It's just a job, friend, just a job.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.