Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing777228
Topic Author

Boeing Tour In Seattle

Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:44 am

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how the Boeing Tour in Evertt is. We are looking at taking a family vacation to Seattle/Vancouver and I would love to do the tour. Are there any "must dos"?

plateman

RE: Boeing Tour In Seattle

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:46 am

I'm also planning a trip to Seattle in late May 2008. From what I have read so far, the Boeing tour in Everett is not too good. Many people and tour books said it very promotional and you see very little. Check out more reviews on tripadvisor.com.

However, the flight museum south of Seattle looks amazing. Let me know what you find, we can trade notes.

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

DeltaAVL

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:58 am

I've been to the Boeing tour, and it was phenomenal. Just to see the assembly lines was worth the price, but they show you a video and give you a nice tour of the factory. Worth every cent, IMHO.

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 1):
I'm also planning a trip to Seattle in late May 2008. From what I have read so far, the Boeing tour in Everett is not too good. Many people and tour books said it very promotional and you see very little. Check out more reviews on tripadvisor.com.

I don't know where these people are coming from - you see tons. And I was there just last Christmas, so surely not much could have changed.

flyboyseven

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:47 am

I have twice driven to the Boeing plant from Vancouver Island just to see it. If you have the time you should also go check out the museum of flight at Boeing feild near SEA. Really cool. The new Center at Paine Field is just amazing. I last went just before the 787 was starting to be assembled.
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

PGNCS

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:13 pm

I am not a particular fan of Boeing aircraft, but I can heartily endorse the Boeing plant tour, with the caveat that I haven't done it in several years, so my experience may not be the most current. It was certainly self promotional (Boeing planes are best, yadda, yadda, yadda...) and there is a lot of merchandise at the gift shop, some of which is quite tacky (though some is quite nice, too), but the actual tour of the assembly area was excellent...I found it interesting and informative. So to sum up, if you have the opportunity and are interested in airliners, the Boeing tour is quite worthwhile.

Stitch

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:56 pm

If you only have time to do one, I recommend the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field south of Seattle. The Museum is orders of magnitude better.

The Museum of Future Flight at PAE, which is teamed with the Boeing tour, is significantly smaller and has only a handful of exhibits - a 747 vertical stabilizer, a test Section 43(?) from the 787, a 767 nose (outside and inaccessible), and a PW4098 from a KE 773. There is a 787 cabin mockup (you can walk through but not sit) and they have a "prototype cabin" they use for passenger tests, but it is usually not open (at least when I am there). There is also a 737 cockpit you can sit in. The Museum does have a very nice view of the flight line, however, and as of late it is often packed with 777s awaiting delivery and being tested.

The factory tour is normally the 777 and 787 lines (the observation deck is between Buildings 40-25 and 40-26, though is they're doing something that requires the observation deck be closed, they use the old observation deck on the 747 line. They no longer normally do a run down the flight-line in the bus, though my last trip did (alas they sent us to the 747 line so I have yet to see the 777/787 line from above).

pitops

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:47 pm

How much does the Boeing tour usually cost?
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

Stitch

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting PITops (Reply 6):
How much does the Boeing tour usually cost?

$15, which includes admission to the Museum (a $9 value). You cannot do the tour by itself to my knowledge.

http://www.futureofflight.org/planavisit.html#AdmissionTickets

pizzaandplanes

Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:01 am

Actually back in 2004, a fellow Airliners.net member got about 20 a.net members including myself a free private tour of the whole Renton facility. That was amazing standing on the flight line of the 737's. The same day we visited the Museum of Flight and that is just a wonderful museum definitely worth the visit. (Plus good spotting in the parking lot). The next day we visited the Everett facility and the tour was just average with highly elevated views of the flight line and not all that it sounds like. Still without a doubt better than nothing. Just my  twocents 
A real man lands where he wants to

TruemanQLD

Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:12 am

It is awesome, seeing all the a/c waiting to be test flown, seeing the 777/787 area was great and just an allround great experience!  Smile

pitops

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:15 pm

So it seems some liked it alot and some were kinda "ahhhh" about it. I guess it's just one of those things you just have to go do yourself to make your own opinion. I might have to fly up to SEA and check it out.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

ebs757

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:40 pm

I took the tour in February 2007, it was really cool
Viva la Vida

QANTAS077

Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting Boeing777228 (Thread starter):
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how the Boeing Tour in Evertt is. We are looking at taking a family vacation to Seattle/Vancouver and I would love to do the tour. Are there any "must dos"?

I found it average and that's being generous, it was over before it started and we spent more time in a bus and the theatre than in the plant itself. I'd recommend the Museum of Flight, much better and you can make a day of it.

isitsafenow

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 pm

My son and I took the tour in Oct of 07 at Everett. We also hung around Boeing field drove around the Renton
plant. Dont just do Everett. See as much as you can.
safe  bouncy 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

dimoko

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:54 pm

you dont get to nose around the planes much, but even the bus ride over gives you some great views of a great variety of aircraft.

worth the $$ in my opinion.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

PHLBOS

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I toured the facility back in 2005; IMHO the tour is worth it. There is one caveat I don't believe has been mentioned yet in this thread: once you're inside the facility NO CAMERAS ARE ALLOWED!

From what I understand, this has been true since 1982.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

HOOB747

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Go on the tour! It is quite worth it, to go inside the building, see the assembly and drive down the runway next to all of the finished planes being tested and awaiting delivery, you must do!!
I love dem planes....