Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tcfc424
Topic Author

Clueless Airline Passengers

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:48 am

Everybody has had them...no one wants them...but they happen.

A couple of days ago an airline passenger came to the counter demanding to know why her flight was delayed. (The website said it was due to weather). She screamed that it could not be due to weather because she checked the internet before coming to the airport and the weather in DEN was fine.

We explained to her that the weather in DEN was fine, but the weather in SFO was terrible. She asked what that had to do with HER and we explained that the plane she was flying on was coming from SFO, and, unfortunately, was not even in the air yet, due to low ceilings, et. al. I guess pax think that their aircraft flies nothing but their routing...i.e. DEN-XXX, XXX-DEN, DEN-XXX, etc.

What kind of stories do you all have?

AirNZ

RE: Clueless Airline Passengers

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:03 am

Quoting TCFC424 (Thread starter):
I guess pax think that their aircraft flies nothing but their routing...i.e. DEN-XXX, XXX-DEN, DEN-XXX, etc.

In truth though, and to be completely fair, there is really no reason why very many should think otherwise. I don't think it's quite necessary to thus label them 'clueless'.

tcfc424
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:19 am

I am able to query an aircraft routing, and sometimes I am clueless...The guys(gals) in the cave that do this stuff have no rhyme or reason...DEN-LAX-BWI-EWR-LAS-DEN-LAS-DEN-LAS-DEN-SFO-IAD-SFO-IAD-SFO-DEN-AUS-DEN-SFO-AUS....I am cluesless too when it comes to routing, however, I understand that if I am flying to a certain city, it is probable that the aircraft on which I am flying did not originate in my destination. I know that it happens sometimes, but most of the time its a routing like this: DEN-IAD-YVR-SFO-EWR-YYZ-LAX-MEX-SFO-CLT-FSD-DEN-JFK-MIA-DEN-SLC or something. I look all the time (being the a.net freak I am) and wonder how does anyone come up with this?!?

xtoler

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:05 am

Speaking of DEN, there was a newsmedia gripe by UA pilots here that weather in DEN was not the real reason flights were canx or delayed. But besides that, a lot of pax just don't seem to understand, that if something happens in one place, a chain reaction happens and delays happen.

My favorite is the chance to only have one passenger on my ERJ145 and are surprised we still fly with just that one person. Pax really don't realize, we still have to go to other places and we aren't based at the airport we take off from or land at. The shock of some pax after I tell them we are RIC based but yet we are doing UAX flights around the midwest. What really gets the pax is if they over hear me and the pilots talking about getting back to RIC tonight and who's flying the USX RIC-LGA day trip in the morning. Makes for interesting conversation during the dull moments of flying, plus I like to educate my pax. But I do have to say, save for the NE (such as LGA, EWR, BOS), once I close the main cabin door pax are pretty cool.

I've had some real winners on my flights. Had this chick in a fur coat (in the spring time 80 degree weather) flying from RIC to LGA and she though she was the sh!t. Her husband tried to calm her down. Our gear wouldn't go up, so we had to go back to RIC, but had to fly around for 45 minutes, (which is about the same time it would have taken us to get to LGA), to burn fuel. We were in an emergency situation, so I couldn't serve, I couldn't let anyone up. I could check on the pax. She was livid, because I woulnd't get her a free drink and demand her ticket be refunded. She wanted to walk around the cabin. She was screaming and freaking out, cussing me out. I kept my cool, though, and we swapped planes and I would have let her on the new flight, but she shot her mouth off to my pilots and the US Airways gate agents. Her husband apologized to me and everyone else. I don't take pax personally. After the USAF and before I became a F/A I worked in industrial construction so I'm used to pretty rough language. I know I've blown my top at work, at least where appropriate. I also have a wife with a very short fuse, so leaving for 4 days at a time and dealing with rude pax is like a vacation. That just scratches the surface. And yes, it makes for great stories.

For the most part, pax are pretty cool, as long as they are shut up in a metal tube and we are on our way. I'd have to be paid a lot more to take your job though. On the flip side though, there are a lot of jerk flight crews. I've briefed quite a few in my USAF days in Air Terminal Operations. Believe it or not, most of the pilots were cool, it was either the senior enlisted loadmasters, or the "butter bar" lt pilots I had to deal with. But I did fly with a few jerk ass pilots who would treat the rampers and gate agents like sh!t, so I usually stood in and did all of our business depending on who I'm flying with. You guys hands are full with pax, you don't need to deal with a screaming pilot or screaching F/A.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!! Hope '08 will be better.

Larry

xtoler

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting TCFC424 (Reply 2):
am able to query an aircraft routing, and sometimes I am clueless...The guys(gals) in the cave that do this stuff have no rhyme or reason...DEN-LAX-BWI-EWR-LAS-DEN-LAS-DEN-LAS-DEN-SFO-IAD-SFO-IAD-SFO-DEN-AUS-DEN-SFO-AUS....I am cluesless too when it comes to routing, however, I understand that if I am flying to a certain city, it is probable that the aircraft on which I am flying did not originate in my destination. I know that it happens sometimes, but most of the time its a routing like this: DEN-IAD-YVR-SFO-EWR-YYZ-LAX-MEX-SFO-CLT-FSD-DEN-JFK-MIA-DEN-SLC or something. I look all the time (being the a.net freak I am) and wonder how does anyone come up with this?!?

I'm thinking you are looking at the actual aircraft and not the flight number. Take a weird example. Say if you were flying with me on the last day of a four day. I'm picking you up in MLI. Already that day I started in SBN, flew to ORD, then down to STL, back to ORD, then to MLI. If I'm lucky I may have the same aircraft if we didn't change at our base in STL, or earlier at our outstation in ORD. We meet in MLI, and you are on your way to RIC with a stop in ORD and as I am and hopefully the rest of the crew is based in RIC. We keep the aircraft but our flight number changes and the crew is the same. The aircraft goes where it is needed, the crews and flight numbers are on a different schedule. Why this is I do not know. The longest I kept an aircraft was for 3 days and we just bounced back and forth from RDU to LGA to fill in for another regional airline. The cool thing about it, it made the preflight easier. The downside, the plane never went to our two bases in either STL or RIC to be serviced properly. That's another thing too, if we are at an outstation, we can't get the cleaning service or MX we would normally get unless the aircraft was at home. I tell you, after those three days, the plane was looking pretty ratty, no matter how much I'd tried to clean it with what little resources I had. Made me miss having bare metal floors and a ramp in the back, just to sweep all the dirt out.

I hope this sort of explains things. Sorry, didn't mean to go off in left field and way off topic.

Skydoll

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:40 pm

The other night we were In flight and I had a pax tell me she couldn't find her ticket. She wanted to know if I knew where it was...uh- no. That same night, a pax got mad at ME when HER bag wouldn't zip back up. And on that same flight, an elderly woman didn't want to place her hat inside the overhead bin for fear it might get smushed. When a FA suggested she hold it in her lap, she snapped, "The flights too long! Perhaps you could hold it." Hello, people, let's take responsibility for our own things!