Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

f.pier
Topic Author

Cabin Crew: Ever Been Worried?

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 am

You fly so much, so have you ever been seriously worried about your life once in flight? Something about the aircraft or about the cockpit crew behavior?

xtoler

RE: Cabin Crew: Ever Been Worried?

Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Not in flight but on rotation I felt the nose rise, then the thrust reverse deploy, while in my jumpseat. I sit behind the cockpit and didn't hear the usual chatter and saw my pax in front of me with surprised expressions on their faces. All I could do was brace and yell to the pax to "Bend over stay down! Bend over stay down!" I thought we were going off the runway, because we were almost airborne. The brake sensor came on, and the capt decided he had room before we really rotated. Of course the pilots heard me yelling to my pax they were laughing at me once we got off the runway. I always kept my cool until then. The feeling of not being able to see my surroundings and not knowing what was going on, that scared the shit out of me, luckily not literally. I got over it pretty quick though. I've had closer calls driving with other idiots on the road. Flying is still safer, but accidents do happen.

Unruly pax scare me more than accidents. I almost got into a fight with one coming out of EWR. If his wife and buddy didn't get him calmed down, we would have went back to the gate and he wouldn't be the only one going to jail. I'm pretty sure I was destined to go from airline uniform to blaze orange jail uniform pretty quick. That was scary. It takes a lot to faze me, but he was about to hit me, and I ain't taking that. I wasn't scared of fighting, I was scared of not having a job. My wife wasn't working at the time and was pregnant with our first daughter. All the other pax said they had my back though. I'm more of a man than to press charges against the guy so we let it go and at the end of the flight he apologized and we shook hands.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

Skydoll

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:24 pm

After a very long delay due to a mechanical that almost made the crew illegal, we were given another airplane to work to Los Angeles. It was late at night, so we weren't going to land at LAX until around 4am. On landing, I got this feeling I can't explain, but I became very scared and kept asking my fellow crew members if they felt "weird." They said no. But in the pit of my stomach I knew something was wrong. I remember looking out the window and we were very low over the water and I kept thinking, if something did happen, it was in the middle of the night and no one would come quick enough to our rescue. That's how nervous I was. We ended up landing with no problems. Since I was going to a friends house instead of the layover hotel I ran outside to catch a cab, but I couldn't help but notice none of the passengers were in the taxi line. They were all inside waiting on their bags. I thought I was lucky that I caught my cab before anyone came outside. The following morning I found out from an agent friend of mine that the baggage handlers forgot to load the bags. The pilots had no idea. Weight and balance was off on landing. Though nothing happened, I'll never forget how scared I felt for as long as I live.

Heather

ThrottleHold

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 1):
on rotation I felt the nose rise, then the thrust reverse deploy,

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 1):
he capt decided he had room before we really rotated

Rotation is begun at Vr, which is always greater than or equal to V1. Rejecting a T/O after V1 is a massive no-no, as you have passed the go/no-go point. I suspect what you thought was rotation was really the somotogravic illusion of a pitch-up due to the froward acceleration.

dfwmzuri

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 3):
Rotation is begun at Vr, which is always greater than or equal to V1. Rejecting a T/O after V1 is a massive no-no, as you have passed the go/no-go point. I suspect what you thought was rotation was really the somotogravic illusion of a pitch-up due to the froward acceleration.

I travel from point A to point B. Would someone please translate for me? Thanks.

AF340

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Quoting DFWMzuri (Reply 4):
I travel from point A to point B. Would someone please translate for me? Thanks.

Rotation is begun at Vertical Rotation Speed (the speed at which the pilots "pull-up" the nose of the aircraft) this is always greater than V1 which is the speed at which a pilot can take-off safely with only one engine. Taking off after V1 is a no-no because the speed is so great that there is a risk of going off the runway. What the OP probably felt was a nose up sensation from the forward acceleration of the aircraft. Although the aircraft never actually went into a nose up attitude.

Liam spin